Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

the only genius in the whole fucking business
oh holy poo poo. time for me to get in trouble.

okay Legacy of Mana?

When I was in my early 20s, i had a friend who worked for Lynnvander. I think he made that cool world map? It was his first 'real job', he'd moved to Toronto for it, we kept in touch, and he brought me in contact with them for some of my first paid jobs ever. I made them concept art, did 3d modelling work, a few odd jobs. I was eventually offered a 'job' there, but, well...

Just real quick in mind: I think I'm like 22? And so is my friend. Somewhere around there.

So my friend did a bunch of work for an earlier version Legacy of Mana, and through him I was brought in to do some stuff too. I made a handful of tactical maps for the back of the book, which are actually my first ever published RPG work. What I was promised in exchange for this was a free copy of the book (which I never got) and the possibility of a job with them. A possibility that I pursued until learning a few more things about it.

See, as the job offer solidified, it started to look less and less like a job and more like a nightmare. The details are hazy, this was a decade ago, but my friend described himself, and the role I'd be taking, as 'freelancers' for the company. I believe we would have to show up at the office (hence why he moved to Toronto, and why I would have to) and provide our own computers, and in exchange we would get jobs from the company and get paid for them. My friend described constantly working for them... and making about 500 dollars a month.

I talked to my parents about this, and they pointed out it was a loving scam, so I stayed home and unemployed and male for a few more years. Never got any more projects from them after I turned them down. My friend eventually quit and moved onto another job, and I know he's doing a lot better.

To this day I don't know if I'm credited in the book.

So, yeah. There's a thing. I hope I remembered all the details right, I just remember a few years ago finding their website and being disgusted to see them still operating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

re: the turn bleed changes, it came about because surveys of the playerbase indicated that if an aircraft was turn bleed 2, it was straight up not considered worth taking. the margins are too small in WW1 speeds for that to be workable in a dogfight, so we optimized some of the planes a bit more to compensate. As we move into later eras, higher turn bleeds will become more common.

Also, bombers have a tendency to be low turn bleed because they have so much wing relative to the mass of the airframe to lift the extra weight of the bombs, which is why you gain a turn bleed when you're carrying bombs. This models the real-world phenomenon where attack planes suddenly gain incredible cornering abilities once the bombs are out: BF-109 pilots during the Great Patriotic War noted that IL-2s went from easy meat to almost impossible to pin down after their bombs and rockets went out and the IL-2's turning radius shrunk to like a third of what it had been.

EDIT: we came up with a standard for props in the airframe a while back on the discord but I don't know if we've publicly implimented it anywhere, but yeah, that plane or something like it is slated for volume 2 of the aircraft catalogue.

There's so many rules and so many planes my editor and friends are the only reason I can hope to keep track of it. My brain keeps wanting to cite rules I wrote out of the game two years ago.

open_sketchbook fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 14, 2021

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

i am a big fan, conceptually, of horny rpgs, but why is it always like this instead of, idk, not like this maybe???

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

AW is the only game I've ever read where Horny Mechanics make sense to me. In any other game, if the people want to gently caress in the dungeon or on the spaceship go ahead, it's neither here nor there. I don't understand playing Maid with your friends instead of just loving your friends.

sometimes friends far away

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

Every time I had to make cuts for space, the cuts were taken directly out of the ground combat because, you know. its an air combat game.

At some point I'll write a ground stuff expansion and make people pay me to fix my broken game lol.

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

GimpInBlack posted:

... somewhere in my edits and redrafting to make the whole post flow better, I ended up losing the part where I talk about how it's a really minor flaw, because yeah, it's an air combat game.

I don't think it even needs more ground action rules, I think a few small tweaks to the triggers and options on the extant ground combat/exploration rules and a small number of general GM moves applicable in any situation would be more than enough to make ground combat smoother. But spoiler alert, that's my biggest criticism of the system and it's an incredibly small one. Game gud. Game very gud.

message received, adding a fully detailed tank combat engine

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

As promised, Flying Circus tank rules, complete with the ability to make custom tanks in the aircraft builder.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TZyYK_Z_U3ZkFZHiyZi8_932bZNATLMgoXDLzt1uYWY/edit?usp=sharing

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

Tibalt posted:

You know, the parallel lines of Infinite Worlds and Hellboy 5e's Nazis made me think of an interesting bit about Centrum.

Without jumping too far ahead in the IW review, Centrum is the antagonistic timeline to Homeline - the KGB to Infinity Patrol's CIA, basically. I have Some Thoughts about them when we get there. And of course, there's Nazi timelines because, well, alt-history as a genre.

Anyway, Centrum don't consider Nazis a priority threat because the Centrum timeline never had to deal with them. In contrast, you have Hellboy, where the Nazis possess this outsized role. I wonder sometimes if that gives them more power.

Obviously I'm not putting that on Mignola, or Guillermo Del Toro - American media loves to depict Nazis as the greatest evil. But sometimes wonder if that inflates them in our minds, and covers up the cliquey pathetic backstabbing incompetents they were in reality.

The thing about the Nazis isn't that the Nazis themselves were competent monsters masterminding the end of the world, its that they didn't have to be. The reality is that when a nation directs its industrial, demographic, and political power to omnidirectional violence and war with no sense of self-preservation or norms to reign it in, it can do untold damage, and fascism is an ideology which fuels exactly that. Their incompetence is orthogonal to that, or maybe even key to it: a rational actor wouldn't light themselves on fire in hopes of catching their imagined racial enemies in the flames.

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

I've got this Marvel fanfic where, you know, thanks to Hydra all the wonderwaffles work, and for decades everyone is convinced that the only thing that saved the world is Captain America patriotically punching all the acoustic cannons and microwave guns and apartment-building sized tanks... and then a few decades on scholarship is mostly like "Mmhm turns out the cost of building all this stuff may well have actively accelerated the fall of the Reich, but then again it was such a shambles we can't be sure."

They managed to invent the atomic bomb, and promptly butterfingered it into the English Channel when they tried to make it an unmanned V1-style pulsejet for style points.

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

one of my like, huge regrets about Flying Circus is that i found it really difficult to write ancap readings out of the core fantasy and eventually I just gave up. Fact of the matter is, going on cool adventures with your small group of friends where you alone can save the world and get rich doing so is pretty much fundamentally libertarian in the American sense, where it isn't outright imperialist or fascist because the enemies are a racial group like in most fantasy games. i'd have to have changed the game a lot to avoid those implications and in the end i decided politics are fake and planes are cool.

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

Red Markets remains one of my favourite games ever despite its problems, largely because of stuff like its zombie rules. You can really tell they sat down and thought about not just exactly the sort of tone they wanted from these encounters to play out from the mechanics, but also codified enough tactics mechanically to make it interesting and cover most of the bases that people would think up. It's the game I point to as an example of a 'story simulator' game, which is crunchy and simulationist-y, but specifically simulating tropes or story beats rather than a nebulous 'reality'.

I also can't really get mad over the art simply because its an enormous game with a massive amount of art despite being essentially a small-scale passion project? Like no poo poo the art doesn't look like D&D or whatever, this is a kickstarted funded project by A Guy. It's better than I can do!

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

There's a reason turns in Patrol represent a half-hour, and its to abstract away all the waiting time. I think there's a bit in there somewhere of like, "if players are wondering what they're doing in that time, tell them that they spend ten minutes watching a spider build a web while desperately hugging as low to the ground as possible and waiting for orders."

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

that erica chapman sounds like a brilliant and extremely hot lady

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

Jeez this is why I always just make my AIs based on scans of human brains or whatever. Like actually thinking through the ramifications of such an alien intelligence is interesting, but I just really wanna write about depressed robots lol.

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

all i'm really hearing here is that after im done the tanks i need to make a flying circus expansion where i really take the limiters off and go Full Horny

really put things in perspective

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

Dawgstar posted:

Which tank will make the best Shaggin' Wagon or is it just going to be all of them.

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

... i really want to hear these criticisms, because i want to fix them. it was not my intention to do... anything like that. gently caress.

Mors Rattus posted:

My big criticism of the core is that it wants to have its cake and eat it too in regards to whether or not cultures are distinct and special enough to get playbooks and special distinctions. Witches, Skyborn and Fishers get them, but no effort is made to give any distinguishing features to other non-Gothic cultures whatsoever except noting they…exist, I guess. Like, there’s a Not Judaism but you’d never know it was important or held itself separate from other Gothic folks at all of all you looked at it was playbooks when creating a character. And I get why you’d want this, why you’d want to avoid going “and all Not Jews are like THIS” but then you run into the problems of doing so with the Witches, Skyborn and Fishers, where it then feels in comparison like, oh, you just weren’t interested.

this part though, this emerged from not knowing at the time how to handle, in the structure i'd created, a group that was culturally distinct from the majority while also partially integrated into many levels of society. the fishers and skyborn got playbooks because they evolved from the earliest version of the game where there *were* no culture groups, just Places You Were From. It's something I do seriously regret and am working to address in the future of the game, and I have already devised better way of handling it for the second edition of the distant future (which will not have traditional playbooks).

open_sketchbook fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

We 100% agree the special ammo rules are a loving mess; we've actually been working on a little free expansion which basically completely redoes the way weapon profiles work for that exact reason.