Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

And yet still not macdonalds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

so far I'd say the monsters are 50/50 between usable and dick moves by the gm - those tree stumps? a monster. pile of books? monster.

Like, they seem to exist just to be a gently caress you to players, just a combat that PCs can't do poo poo to avoid.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Joe Slowboat posted:

The Brain is great because it thinks it's a super genius and has Int 4 and terrible plans. It thinks the only personal growth it needs is a big beefy body to go with its big beefy brain. It's a living failure mode, a malicious lesson wandering around.

I hadn't clocked the 'supersmart for a broken thing' part - that might make it a bit more comedy, but god it makes it better. Depending on the GMs ability to monologue that could be amazing.

I'm p sure I've seen it post on e/n.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

He'd totally fit in as a doctor who villain.

He'd parasite the companion and the doctor would have to outwit him to get him to leave the body, probably by getting a big beefy shop mannequin or something.

lofi fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 17, 2019

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I've not heard of beast, can I get the 101?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

:allears:

I am anxiously dwelling upon your every word, heart beating madly, fearful at the outcome of the book.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Chuck tingle would be a great gm, as long as you're OK with a very specific style of play.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

It does need more DMing masks, true.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I'll buy that - we have a random VtM splatbook on the bookshelf, and it's really gorgeous - that blue-green marble and red rose just ooze gothic grandeur, it's a first impression that 100% tells you the type of game it is.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

You're all super selling me on Demon here, but what do PCs do beyond "hide from the Man"?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Does the machine not notice bigass chages as a result of pacts? That might be a motivation to play hardball.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I actually kind of agree with Smolensck on adversity, especially for Tolkeineque D&D fantasy - there's always the 'ohgod, everythings hosed' moments, and I think they do add a lot to the sense of victory. It does pull you into the game when you're really struggling to find a good solution, when you're out of resources and have to keep going.

I mean, he's got a really convoluted way of saying it, but I don't think the concept is horrible. Especially as he's (trying to be) clear on the player/character divide. He'd loving love Torchbearer.

The stuff about story arcs and continuity is just baffling though.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

:catstare:

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

gently caress the rules, it's the density of proper nouns I struggle with.

The thing I dislike about the God Machine concept (aside from the initials being the GM ffs) is that it's so unreal that I don't know how players would know what bits to poke. In a real-world setting, you can figure out a reasonable plan to stop The Evil Plot, but in Demon do players just do something like a "And then they [science]" from star trek? Roll dice to get told by the GM what might work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I hate how the npc writers in Enemy Action just throw in "physically cannot use the right tense" - can you imagine trying to speak like that while GMing Hollyhock Godding a game?!

lofi fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 2, 2019