Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

By popular demand posted:

I don't hold interest for anime and mostly ignored Exalted, so I'm surprised and terrified it was this bad.

Oh, it gets better. One of the original 3e devs was also outed as a sexual harasser and the other one tried to cover for him and downplay it. Which really destroyed their credibility re: publisher shenanigans about promising, shall we say, wildly optimistic delivery dates on their kickstarters, and paying their writers on time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

NutritiousSnack posted:

That was John Morke.

Who was (/is?) Holden's best friend and roommate, whose actions he tried to downplay and he later tried shilling Morke's Patreon.

I've no doubt Holden really was wronged by OPP like he's claimed, but he really managed to destroy his own credibility thanks to his actions.

Warden fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 30, 2021

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

NutritiousSnack posted:

Going to edit that, because yeah I think I got Morke confused with another of the Onyx Path creeps

Matthew McFarland, of Beast infamy, was the one who was accused of grooming and having had sex with a minor and had his wife cover for him. So while Morke was a sex pest, Blackhat Matt was, at the very least, a statutory rapist.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Mors Rattus posted:

Soulbound: Stars and Scales
War Lizard

I'd like to point out at this juncture that Coalesced Saurus Oldblood is a goddamn murder machine, and probably the strongest melee Archetype in the game right now. They have just enough Skill Xp to get Training in both Weapon Skill and Reflexes to 2, which combined with Body 5 gives them Great Melee and Great Defense, which are both bumbed to Superb thanks to Coalesced Species Bonus and a shield. They have +1 Damage to all melee attacks, which means that their one-handed attacks hit as hard as two-handed weapons, and if they take Ferocious Jaws they can effectively dual wield at two-handed weapon damage while still getting the shield bonus.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Mors Rattus posted:

The Ghoul species bonus is Delusions of Grandeur: While they retain their perception of reality outside battle, when a Soulbound ghoul enters combat, their hesitations fade as they feel a firm clarity of purpose and a sense of doing great deeds in the name of justice. They gain +1 maximum Mettle at combat start and immediately gain 1 Mettle

That's, uh, that's a strong ability. One extra action for turn 1 means that if Ghoul gets the initiative, it's going to gently caress someone, or several someones, up something fierce.

Mors Rattus posted:

The Wight species bonus is Grave Determination: Your will is extremely strong due to your focused obsession. If you are suffering from a Condition, you may spend 1 Mettle to end it as a free action. (This seems small; it is not. Conditions are a big deal.)

That's an ability that does not come up all that often but when it does, it really saves your rear end. Even basic Daemonettes force a DN 4:2 Mind (Determination) test to avoid being Charmed.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Mors Rattus posted:

Yes, they're just going to have to deal with the consequences, likely in the form of 'a bunch of other undead get dispatched to try and capture or kill them.'

That's when Soulfire comes in real handy.

As a aside, I adore the fact the game mechanics meta-currency is an in-game thing, which has visual effects.

Like, you are a Chaos Champion fighting a Binding and deal what's supposed to be a mortal wound to your opponent, and instead he gets back up, white fire streaming from his eyes and wounds and he proceeds to kick the ever-living poo poo out of you and your henchmen until he keels over dead and there's a burst of light as his soul explodes, and then you realize that instead of being demoralized, his comrades are wreathed in that same white fire and they are going to avenge him right the gently caress now.

Once you decide to do Last Stand, you can just spend as much of the Binding's Soulfire as you can on your attacks, since they will get it back once you die.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Mors Rattus posted:

Crypt Haunter Corutiers must be Ghouls and have base Body 5, Mind 1, Soul 1. Their Core Skill is Weapon Skill, plus a few from among Athletics, Determination, Fortitude, Intimidation, Might, Reflexes, Survival, or Weapon Skill. Their Core Talent is Warrior Elite, plus one from among A Warm Meal, Battle Rage, Blood Fury, Intimidating Manner, Rending Blow, Tooth and Claw, Thick Skin or Scent of Blood. They begin with a Bone Club, and a "chest of gold and jewels" that is actually a sack full of meat.

Crikey, those things are dangerous blighters. Just enough xp to get both Weapon skill and Reflexes to 2, which gives them Great Melee at 7d6 & Focus 1 and Great Defense, plus their racial ability starts them with 2 Mettle instead of 1 in combat. Not much good at anything else, but they can smash the opposition to bits on an alpha-strike.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

JcDent posted:

So how did they end up balancing Vampire hero types and Ossiarch monstrosities with a simple Skeleton+?

Point buy system. Ossiarchs are 40 xp, but can't use Soulfire and don't add it Binding, the rest are 35 xp. Grave guards got 12 xp to Skills and 5 talents (worth 2 xp apiece), which is a lot, but their Attributes suck. Vampires got 6 xp to skills and 1 talent, but they have better Attributes.

Also, they really should have called the Vampire Lord something else, because that title is writing checks their stats can't cash. Body 3? For a Vampire Lord?

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

MonsterEnvy posted:

Body 3 is good for a melee build.

It's good enough, but not anything to write home about.

quote:

The Player Vampire Lords are also noted as being the weakest of their kind. The Bestiary Vampire Lord for example is a B5, M7, S4.

Maybe something that is clearly weaker than a Lord should be called something else than a Lord is my point. Just "Vampire" or "Vampire Noble" would work just fine.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Covermeinsunshine posted:

What I can't enjoy when someone tells me to participate in rape-on-rails adventure and read bad metaplot.

But enough about Degenesis.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Mors Rattus posted:

And we get a Soulbound interruption! Artefacts of Power has just come out, a book on realmstone, endless spells and magical items! So that's next.

Thanks for the heads-up, I'mma buy that.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
I love original WFRP, and own the 1986 1st edition book plus first two parts of the Enemy Within campaign 90s reprints, almost complete 2nd edition collection (I think I am missing only two books), the 3rd edition box plus two expansions, plus the corebook for 4th edition (which had several aspects I did not like).

I have also been really impressed by Soulbound, and own every release so far.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Siivola posted:

Oh okay, that's neat.

I wouldn't have pegged the Arthurian knights for an Ancien Régime stand-in here but I guess it fits?

I went and dug up my copy Knights of the Grail, and there's a short section about local peasant rebellions, and how they always fail, and and stuff like how Chaos cults love to infiltrate and subvert them. Later there's a couple of plot hooks / short adventure seeds about those, one by peasants, one by merchants. Nothing about any kind of possible big revolution on the horizon though, at least I couldn't find anything like that on a quick skim.

On the other hand, it really comes across how hosed-up Bretonnian society is, but the book really does not give an impression it is going to implode any time soon in the foreseeable future. I can see how one could draw the conclusion that the whole poo poo-show is unsustainable in the long run though.

Unless we count the dude in Moussilon attempting to create and army of undead to destroy the Bretonnian social order, but that's in another book (Barony of the Damned), because he's found out the Wood Elves are responsible for Bretonnia being like it is, since they needed a buffer state.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Night10194 posted:

Yes, actually, most particularly any books by David Chart, who seems to have been especially concerned with that kind of thing (as you might suspect from someone who worked as line dev on Ars Magica).

Late 2nd edition had some really great books, often by David Chart, and co. Realm of the Ice Queen in particular was loving awesome, but I am forever perplexed Black Industries had Andy Law draw them three large, gorgeous city maps and then they down-scaled them to fit one page each, when it's pretty obvious that they were meant to be double-pagers all.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
If anyone is interested in taking a closer look at the various Soulbound books Mors Rattus has reviewed, there's Humble bundle which has basically everything except the three latest supplements (Champions of Destruction, Artifacts of Power and Champions of Death) going for basically peanuts.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Mors Rattus posted:

Next up: oh hey look at that a new soulbound book it's time for CHAMPIONS OF DESTRUCTION

I bought that a couple of days ago and it seems fun as hell.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Mors Rattus posted:

Soulbound: Champions of Destruction
Breaking Bones

Now, the negative - the Archetype art is...not great. It's better than GW usually does, but it's still built on the core of racialized stereotypes that have always plagued the "Savage Orc" line of models. Because, y'know, that's what the Bonesplitterz are, despite their new and frankly excellent writing. I really wish they had a different design, and personally tend to reflavor them as dressing like Monster Hunter characters.

I am the whitest of whiteys, and the Bonesplitterz art still makes me uncomfortable.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Mors Rattus posted:

Wise-grots must be grots and begin with Body 1, Mind 5, Soul 2.

Wise-Grots appear to have a typo in that their Mind probably should be 4. I did the math, and in their current form they are built with 44 xp, when they should be built with 35 xp and raising Attribute from 4 to 5 costs 9 exp.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Mors Rattus posted:

Brutes are the ideals of the Ironjawz, simple warriors who want for little but battle.

Ain't that the truth, these things can really krump things.

Brutes can be built either as dual-wielders with Relentless Assault or two-handers with Immense strikes, and they kick rear end either way. Their true power becomes apparent when fighting opponents who are larger than they and have higher Body attribute. They have Species bonus giving them +1D against enemies with higher Body, Core Talent giving them damage bonus against larger enemies and can take a talent giving them bonus to Melee against larger enemies. So they roll more dice, get successes more easily, and do more damage on each hit against big, tough things. And if they want to go death-or-glory they can pick up Battle Rage to boost their Melee even higher at the cost of Defense.

Warchanters are pretty good also, since anything that affects all allies also affects them and they have Soul 3 for two points of Mettle. Plus, they have enough xp for Weapon Skill Training 2, and can pick up Relentless Assault and Ambidextrous, so they can fight really well.

Weirdnobs have pretty bad talents overall, but very good skill selection, since it includes Weapon Skill, Reflexes and Determination, and they have enough xp to get Channelling Training and Focus to 2 and still have enough left to invest in those.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Cooked Auto posted:

Well Mors can rejoice, Cubicle 7 announced the Champions of Chaos book for Soulbound today at Gencon.

It better have options for Skaven in it, or I'll riot.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Is this the proper thread to mention that Cubicle7 has a a poo poo-ton of Fantasy Flight Games-era Wh40k rpg stuff going for cheap in a Humble Bundle if anyone is interested in taking a look at those?

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Thanks, I posted there.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Robindaybird posted:

Peasant life is much more complex than most think.

Fivemarks posted:

But that's not what GRRM tells people, so they assume they had no agency.

Agreed. For example, the only peasant rebellion my lot had was started by wealthy, land-owning peasants who went to the the King's regent and complained about the actions taken by kings' governor-general (garrisoning soldiers at peasant houses), as was their prerogative, and the regent told them they were correct, and should defend their rights by force, and he would back them and thus they'd be acting in the name of and best interest of the king.

Turns out the regent was plotting to seize the throne, the governor-general was loyal to the king and that's why he was garrisoning the soldiers in peasant homes instead of removing the army from the area, and the peasants were sacrificial pawns in the opening move of a civil war. Oops. But they had rights, they knew what those rights were, and when they felt wronged, they went through official channels to fix the situation, they just got involved in a plot unwittingly.

Another thing, when it came to justice matters, the judge was almost always a local noble, but the jury consisted of the richest peasants in the area.

Also, extra taxes or additional levying of troops required the king to call the estates to the Diet, and he needed them to vote to agree to his suggestion. The peasants had one vote, nobles, clergy and burghers had one each, so they were outnumbered, but they did have agency.

Warden fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jan 7, 2023

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Mors Rattus posted:

And I have a new Soulbound book to talk about this weekend!

Excellent. Looking forward to it.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Everyone posted:

That all looks cool/exciting but it really makes me miss crave old style WHFRPG when a Peasant, Hedge-Wizard, Soldier and Rat-catcher would run around sewers killing jr. grade Rat Nazis for maybe 10 gold if they were lucky.

Good news, you can have that as well, Cubicle7 also publishes WFRP 4th ed.

Look at that guy, he's so hosed.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Mors Rattus posted:

Soulbound: Era of the Beast

Morathi's counter-rampage ends only when she runs into Kragnos himself. Her spells are unable to pierce his mighty shield, Tuskbreaker, and even her massive monster-body cannot defeat him. Morathi almost falls in battle, but is saved by the intervention of Lord Kroak, who combines his spells with hers to tear a hole in reality and hurl Kragnos through it, stranding him in the Ghurish hinterlands.

Kroak made an illusion of Draconith warriors which he chased into the portal.

Morathi-Khaine is willing to admit that Kragnos is physically powerful, but she has no respect for him due to his simpleminded nature.

I think the shadow snek goddess is huffing copium here, seeing as it wasn't she who managed to trick Kragnos and take advantage of his simple-minded nature..

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Bouquet posted:

People who've played Soulbound, how much did your GM care about the metaplot stuff?
Based on Mors' writeups it feels like optimal play is to sit around at the pub taking as many potion-making downtime actions as possible until someone important shows up.
"Alright, lads, gear up! Lord Kroak's in town, poo poo's about to get real."

This is the second book where metaplot shows up in the entire Soulbound line. GW advanced the wargame to 3rd edition, and the rpg team had to keep up.

The first incident was a shame. Soulbound has a whole campaign set in the free city of Anvilgard, but long development cycle meant that when they were close to finishing the whole thing, GW had the city of Anvilgard fall to Morathi in the lead-up to the 3rd edition (Broken Realms saga) and rename it. The team had to scramble and add one further chapter where they addressed the elephant in the room.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Mors Rattus posted:

I Wonder Why I Didn't See It There Before

Couple of good adventure/campaign ideas in that part. Also, I like how the metaplot here is basically "the big boys hosed up and are temporarily off the board, go hog wild, lads".

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Mors Rattus posted:

She Glanced This Way

For some reason, even though EoB is supposed to be Destruction's time to shine, I somehow got more out of the Death section than this.

Though I confess I find the mental image of pack of ogres chasing fleeing young dragons, shouting "stop so we can eat you, you're delicious" quite funny.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Mors Rattus posted:

Mechanically, one of the big changes is how Doom interacts with the world - most visibly, with the Cursed Skies. By default, if Doom is 5 or higher, the Cursed Skies manifest. You can change the threshold as you like to make things easier or harder on the PCs, of course. Mechanically, the Cursed Skies prevent Stormcast from getting back to Azyr when they die unless they have Thunderstrike Armor - which all Stormcast PCs will receive in the first downtime after you decide to bring in Era of the Beast stuff when they report in, mind. But this means that if a Stormcast doesn't have their armor on, and they die, they're dead for good. Or, well, trapped in the Cursed Skies and in need of a rescue of some sort. The book notes that if your players aren't okay with this, don't use it. Doom can also reflect different changes. It was generally more subtle in the Soul Wars era, reflecting the ill-at-ease feelings and dark magics of Nagash. In the Era of the Beast, go for more visible, concrete things. The landscape starts to swampify as the Kruleboyz close in, Chaos rites spread dark storms and bloody marks, monsters leave their marks on the landscape closer and closer to cities. Doom in the Era of the Beast should be more visceral and direct.

Doom starting to have concrete, clearly visual effects on the game world is kinda video gamey-thing, innit.

Pretty cool, but I wonder how easy it would be to actually to it in ttrpg.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Mors Rattus posted:

And When We Touched, She Didn't Shudder At My Paw

The Palace is home to one of Excelsis' greatest secrets and most potent defenses: a hidden hall whose floor is composed completely from crystal mined from the Spear of Mallus. The hall is laid out in the shape of the Coast of Tusks and the city, creating an augurium map that continuously prophesizes potential problems for the area. Without this prophetic map, the city would have been destroyed long, long ago.

This is super-cool image, and provides plenty of adventure hooks.

Mors Rattus posted:

No, It Can't Be

It is extremely likely that a Soulbound party is going to clash with the Knights and their Lord-Veritant. They are likely to take exception with the methods the Knights use or their lack of mercy, and it is likely that the only thing that will keep some parties from being declared enemies of the city is their Soulbound status, which the White Reaper still respects. In these cases, the Knights will simply refuse to offer the party any support whatsoever. However, there is a chance to change things for the better. Lord-Veritant Cerrus Sentanus is a man slow to change, but he has realized at this point that there must be a flaw in his methods - the same problems keep cropping up, after all. He is tiring of constant hypervigilance and ruthlessness. If a Binding were to truly help the city and yet be unorthodox in its nature or methods or otherwise disprove the overly strict ideals of the Knights Excelsior, they might be able to convince the White Reaper that there are better ways and could bring him to understand that his methods are fascist and awful.

I appreciate that it is spelled out that the whole "hard men making hard choices, no matter the cost" is explicitly spelled out to be the wrong way to approach things, and it is assumed that the PCs go "yo, what the gently caress?".

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Mors Rattus posted:

But Then She's Never Looked At Me That Way Before
In theory, the city gets its wood from the nearby Druichan Forest in the northwest, but constant raiding has killed most of the logging crews, and others just haven't returned from their trips into the forest. The city has taken to deploying armed escorts for the loggers to keep them safe, but they're not entirely sure what makes Druichan such a battlefield. The game won't be answering that, it's up to you.

For some reason I quite like it how even in the Warhammer game of higher fantasy and more Proper Nouns, there's still an adventure seed that's about securing a steady supply of lumber. The more things change, and all that.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

MonsterEnvy posted:

Lumber is super important.

Well, yes. That was the point.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

avoraciopoctules posted:

This one is definitely good. I like the way it shades in the ogres into more realized characters, and there is a lot of room for growing pressures to rapidly complicate the situation from different angles. You could get a really nice 5 adventure campaign out of just Icebrow if the players ended up sticking around.

Seconded, that's an excellent hook.

Also, thanks again Mors, that's a lot of work you're putting in there.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Mors Rattus posted:

Well, Who'd Have Thought

I'm going to wait on for you to get to the Draconith Archetype before I comment on them and their options fully, but they are an interesting one.

One thing that is unclear about how their Natural Weapons and splitting the dice pool work is whether they count for the Ambidextrous and Relentless Assault Talents. I would assume yes in case of RA, since the Sylvaneth Spite-Revenant has its own version of Natural Weapons and it has access to the talent, but Ambidextrous I am unsure about. I asked in the official Discord, but no official ruling has been handed out.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Mors Rattus posted:

Well, Bless My Soul

Hurakan Windcharger

Windchargers are very starved for xp for Skills, and only the Species bonus for Aelves (+2 xp for one Skill) that allows them to function. One problem they run into later is that ranged attacks are made with Body+Ballistic Skill, but Accuracy stat is determined by Mind+Ballistic Skill. I'd probably get both Training and Focus for Ballistic Skill to 3 as the game progresses, so that they can flip into sixes for certain hits and Pierce Armor.

In play the suffer a bit from the fact that weapon ranges are super-short in Soulbound. Bow has Long Range, which means it can fire without penalty only two Zones away. Every enemy with Normal Speed can move one Zone as a Move, and the use Charge to move another Zone and make an attack. So Windchargers can't quite hit and run without impunity, and have to spend Mettle if they want ensure they're out of retaliation range occasionally.

quote:

Scinari Loreseeker

Scinari Loreseekers are super-cool and their optional Scinari Contemplation is a very strong Talent eventually, once you actually get enough xp to raise both Channelling and Weapon Skill enough. If you make no attacks, you can double your Focus in Channeling for free the next turn, and if you cast no spells, you can double your Focus in Weapon Skill for free next time. Makes for an interesting play-style.

quote:

Errant Draconith

Errant Draconith are absurdly strong - they start with base Body 5, Mind 2, Soul 2, and their Core Skill is Fortitude. They get a small selection of skills from among Athletics, Awareness, Channelling, Fortitude, Intimidation, Might, Reflexes and Survival. (You'll note Weapon Skill is not among these - you'll need to be a Realmborn Clutch Draconith for that, which is perhaps a bit odd.) Their Core Talent is Arcane Heritage (whenever you are the target of a spell, you may attempt to Unbind it using Fortitude). They also get two of Drag Into the Tempest (Draconith only, requires Might Training and Focus 1, when you grapple someone Mediumn or smaller, you can carry them with you when you Move, and allies can choose to just let you grab them for this. Also, you can release folks as a Free Action, and if they fall, they take fall damage based on the distance), Furious Descent (Draconith or Khinerai only, when you take the Charge action while flying, your melee attacks gain Cleave), Guts, Iron Scales (Draconith only, your natural Armor increases to 3), Night Vision or Spellcasting (Celestial). Errant Draconith begin the game with a suit of Draconith barding and a scale from their favorite clutchmate.

The reason Weapon Skill is not among their list of Skills is to prevent them from getting Training 2 in it, because that would allow the to have 7d6 Great Melee right away.

Errant Draconith are interesting, because there's a couple of very different builds. The Iron Scales is a must-pick for all of them though, imo.

You could go Starborne Clutch, invest in Channelling initially, and choose to learn just the easy defensive spells from Common Spells list (more Defense and Armor), buff yourself and then tank with that.
Or you could invest your initial xp in more Fortitude, and then spam the Breath attack to decimate Minions and Swarms, and pick up Guts, since it's Toughness increase is tied to Fortitude Skill.
Or go Realmbound Clutch, spend those 2 xp on Training 1, Focus 1 for Weapon Skill, and spend the 3 xp on Reflexes Training 2. Iron Scales, Guts, and you'd have 6d6 Good Melee, Great Defense, 3 Armor, 10 Toughness.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

avoraciopoctules posted:

Mechanically, the dragonbreath attack Draconith have works a bit differently than a regular attack. I didn't crunch the numbers to figure out exactly how it compares, but being able to ignore defense and instead test their Body:Reflexes with your Body:Fortitude is really nice if you are dealing with someone who has really high defense values.

Does not work that way, unfortunately, since Defense is keyed to Body+Reflexes and high Body combined with armor allows enemies to shrug off the breath entirely. A Blood Warrior with Body 4, Reflexes +1d and Armor 3 is functionally immune to it, because Draconith would have to win the opposed Test by 4 successes to do even 1 point of damage.

Where it excels is clearing an entire zone of Minions who are not Swarms (like Crypt Ghouls or Kairic Acolytes) or decimating a Swarm with low Body and no Reflexes (Grots, Clanrats, etc.). A Daemonette Swarm with their Body 3 and +2d Reflexes would take very little damage from it, even with the double damage against Swarms from AoEs.

So it is a highly situational tool that is completely useless against anything big and tough.

Warden fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Apr 3, 2023

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Mors Rattus posted:

Well, Who'd Have Known

A Knight-Vexillor must be Stormcast and has Body 4, Mind 2, Soul 3. Their Core Skill is Determination, with a decent selection from Arcana, Determination, Fortitude, Lore, Might, Reflexes, Theology or Weapon Skill. Their Core Talents are Holy Standard Bearer (Knight-Vexillor only, you can wield a Sigmarite standard in one hand and attack with it as if it were a Warhammer, and any ally within Medium range that can see your standard gets to add your Determination Training and Focus to any roll to resist or recover from Charmed or Frightened. Also, you can spend an Action to plant your standard and declare that no one will falter today. While you remain in the Zone where you did this, you and all allies in your Zone add your Determination Training and Focus to all Death Test rolls.) and Spellcasting (Celestial), plus two from Diplomat, Eidetic Memory, Fearless, Hard to Kill, Scholar or Iron Will. They begin with Thunderstrike Plate (Medium Thunderstrike Armor), a Sigmarite Warblade (a Sword), their choice of a Banner of Apotheosis, Meteoric Standard or Pennant of the Stormbringer, and 100D of Aqua Ghyranis. (We'll get into what the banners do later.)

Head's up, it appears that you got the old, non-errata-ed version of the book. Knight-Vexilors do not have Spellcasting (Celestial), they have Iron Will as their other Core Talent.

You can download the most update version from DriveThru.

I'll comment on the Stormies in bit more depth later, I gotta go to work.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Mors Rattus posted:

Well, Who'd Have Known

The Knight-Judicator
Knights-Judicator are Stormcast only and have Body 4, Mind 3, Soul 2. Their Core Skill is Ballistic Skill, plus a good selection from Awareness, Athletics, Ballistic Skill, Beast Handling, Determination, Devotion, Intuition, Lore, Reflexes, Survival, Theology or Weapon Skill. Their Core Talent is Faithful Gryph-hounds (Knight-Judicator only, you get two Gryph-hounds as Loyal Companions, which get a bonus to Toughness equal to your Soul each. Unlike normal Loyal Companions, they can't act independently - instead, you must spend an Action to direct them, allowing them both to Move and take a single Action, which can be different ones for each of them. If one dies, you can use a Train Companion Endeavor to bond with a new one.), and they get two from among Gaze of Sigmar (Knight-Judicator only, requires Theology Training and Focus 1, once per day you can spend an Action to target a single Zone in Long range and call on Sigmar's lightning, dealing (Doom) Damage that ignores Armor to everything in the Zone), Hail of Doom, Hunter, Patient Strike, Pierce Armor, Sigmar's Judgment or Tactician. They begin with a suit of Thunderstrike Mail (Medium Thunderstrike Armor), a Terminus Greatbow, a Warblade (a Sword), a Sigmarite holy symbol, and 75D of Aqua Ghyranis.

You got things a bit wrong here. Loyal Companions cannot act independently at all, it always takes an action (however, if you are riding one, you can use their Move instead of yours). So Faithful Gryph-hounds is an upgrade in that way. However, their only use in combat is attacking two non-Swarm minions in one action, or using them as last-ditch ablative armor by having them take the Defend action. Bird-doggos don't have good stats, and Judicator only has Soul 2, and have other things clamoring for skill xp usage beside Beast Handling, so using endeavours to train the pets does not work super well.

Knight-Judicators are overall very solid ranged Archetype, though later on they run into the same problem of Accuracy being based on Mind+Ballistic Skill with far fewer ways of boosting it otherwise compared to Melee, and they don't really use Mind for much else, so 7xp is a bit steep. I'd do the same as with Windchargers, get Ballistic Skill Training to 3 and then Focus to 3, so you can flip into sixes for certain hits and ignoring armor thanks to Pierce Armor.

quote:

Knights-Relictor

These guys are the kings of action economy. They start with Soul 4, have access to the excellent Strong Soul Talent (add Devotion to Soul for calculating Mettle), so they can easily start with whopping 3 Mettle, and can get to 4 Mettle by just raising Devotion training to 3. Add in the Sacred Relics allowing Free Actions a few times per adventure and you got a real monster. They also have a very good Skill selection.

quote:

Knights-Vexillor

Quite strong and decently versatile archetype. The Banner mechanics are interesting, and allows them completely leave out Mind and Channeling and still cast a limited selection of spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
You also cannot spam it without spending Mettle, because you have to use your Move to move at least a full Zone towards the target for it to proc. You could spend your Move to move forward, toss the Javelin as an Attack action, spend your Mettle to move away one Zone, repeat next round. Of course, you are then giving up the opportunity of spending the Mettle for another attack, but one attack at double damage with Penetrating should out-damage two regular attacks pretty much always, unless there are other factors at work.

So yes, it is an extremely solid Talent.