Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eliasswift
Jan 12, 2021

Now, let's count up your sins!

Glazius posted:

AW2E put the "be prepared for the worst" line at the end of most of its moves, including the perception moves. "On a miss, ask one anyway, but be prepared for the worst." I imagine to make it clearer that the GM has free license to come in and go wild on a 6-.

Now that I didn’t know! My AW experience is with first edition, but if 2E has “be prepared for the worst” as a near constant I can see why it’s here. I just wish some of the phrasing of these moves had more consistency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eliasswift
Jan 12, 2021

potatocubed posted:

Yeah, that was my big disappointment with Interstitial -- the concept is world-class but the execution is hot garbage.

Honestly, I mention it later, but that's actually a bit of an MO for the creator. I've read two of their other games (I believe Interstitial is their third) and they all have a bit of a spark of genius that breaks down at the finish line.

But one of those was completely removed from their shop, so maybe they're starting to realize their mistakes.

eliasswift
Jan 12, 2021

Siivola posted:

Out of curiousity, are there any cosmic-level superhero settings out there like Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy and such?

If you’re looking for settings in general, there’s a game called Spectaculars which is a superhero rpg in a box, designed to pull out when you don’t have anything planned for a session… Albeit it’s built for campaigns and to get to the cosmic setting you have to get four issues in to the super science Fantastic Four/Avengers comics setting.

It’s very customizable but one of the frameworks they give you for the cosmic setting is literally just GotG with the serial numbers filed off.

eliasswift
Jan 12, 2021

Cureall posted:

There's something odd about Sorry About the Ice Cream and Light Portal both requiring the willingness of the other player, but the Friend's move Help! just takes it as given that the rest of the party will have to help you. Or maybe I'm misreading it, and the intention is they get +1 to anything that does help.

Honestly, for Help!, as a GM I might be more generous but the wording specifically says “+1 to limit break and help you.” And since Limit Break is basically the “help” move, it sounds like they get a +1 to Limit Break when you’re the target of the assistance. So it’s really narrow.

eliasswift
Jan 12, 2021

Covok posted:

It's a side effect of trying to pretend every Yellow Ranger had shared characteristics in Power Rangers while also claiming they're all like Trini from MMPR Season 1. Also, it's because it's just a Monk.

Honestly that is the problem with a lot of attempts to turn Power Rangers into a game: Most of the attempts come from people who only saw early Mighty Morphin’ and haven’t seen any of the different dynamics across the various series, let alone some of the bigger differences in Sentai. I’m still looking for a game with a non-red Team Leader role. Looking at you, Jen from Power Rangers Time Force.

Honestly, ironically, I think the only game that comes to mind that doesn’t force red rangers to be leaders is another Linksmith Game, If Not Us, Then Who? And that’s… basically just a vague storytelling game more than an rpg. It can be described as “Have you played The Quiet Year but also want to run a Sentai/magical girl recap podcast?”

Edit: When will we get a sentai rpg with proper archetyping?

eliasswift fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 21, 2022

eliasswift
Jan 12, 2021

Covok posted:

The exchange system is the only big issue for me. It's a bit slow and clunky but not terrible. I just wonder if Avatar is the right place for it. The combat in the show always felt very fluid and natural, not overly thought out. But maybe it does make sense to do it as part of the natural to-and-through of a martial arts fight.

I mean, for all it’s worth, I really like the Exchange system. I’ve only played in two sessions and I’m running the one Quackles mentioned, but the exchange system felt unique and also like… Made PbtA combat not garbage?

I love the system, but having narrative combat makes it all too floaty. I still have a major combat scene in Masks burned into the back of my brain because one player basically took every other turn and I think I only took one in that entire combat.

I know that’s just a poor session and maybe GM’s fault, but it still felt like the biggest bad example of a flaw in the system.

The exchange system in avatar is the only time I ever felt like I was narratively the least important person in combat but still was super useful.

eliasswift
Jan 12, 2021

CitizenKeen posted:

Did I miss an F&F of Avatar? Or can someone please explain the exchange system for those of us who didn't back it?

Basically, at the start of an exchange (the equivalent of a combat round) each player and NPC chooses an “Approach” which are Defend, Attack or Observe. Everyone reveals. Defend goes first and chooses special choices from the Defend list, Attack goes second and chooses attack options, and observe goes last and chooses observe options.

Once that’s done, the exchange is over, and the next exchange starts when the next person chooses to strike.

Essentially it gives a semblance of initiative to a game that otherwise has structureless combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eliasswift
Jan 12, 2021

mellonbread posted:

Dune 2d20 is a GURPS New Sun style book. It lists a lot of setting details established in the core Dune novels and the Brian Herbert prequels, including game statistics for the primary characters from the first book. It has a rudimentary system for creating a Noble House, but nothing for planets, creatures (Dune has no intelligent aliens but lots of weird monsters), wacky special powers, and the other things that would really bring the world to life.

Honestly, I think that's just the way Modiphius likes to work. I got the Star Trek Adventures humble bundle, and have dabbled a bit in Conan 2d20, and hooo boy, do the core books kinda read like a textbook sometimes. It's always going to be that way with IP based core books where they have to give you a good chunk of the world, but... It's rough. They also have a lot of trouble putting out ideas in the text and not adding mechanics. I know Star Trek Adventures mentioned the idea of "Hey, you can run a Deep Space 9 campaign and have a space station, or maybe be a planetary colony!" But only has rules for being on a ship like a standard Star Trek series. Even the "Play as DS9 characters" add on didn't really have good mechanics for running the station.

The big question I have is... Where does Dune expand from here?

STA get really good in the expansion books. They've got four Quadrant books which add more lore and flavor (plus obscure species) and then the three Department books which give new Talents along with player advice for leaning into the tropes of that department along with GM advice about how to play towards those characters.

Conan 2d20 had a lot of expansions which added more mechanics. The Pirate book, the Exiles book, the Sorcerer book, etc.

Dune has... The Arrakis sourcebook and the Architects campaign which has rules for actually leading a big house instead of working on the ground. What's next there? Ix? Will Ix matter if assets are so kinda weak?