Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend

Halloween Jack posted:

I do think that TSR eventually published too many campaign settings, but that the problem was not too much diversity but too little. Can you tell the difference between Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Mystara, and Birthright by looking at the cover of the sourcebook?

I'll admit that around the time my D&D friends went all in on Forgotten Realms as our game setting and I very deliberately made all my characters native to Waterdeep because I couldn't be arsed to re-learn all the same places and histories and people TSR couldn't be arsed to make materially different from Mystara, Greyhawk, Dragonlance, and Middle Earth.

Now you want a d20 fantasy world I could get behind, it's Spelljammer! Hippos! In! Space!

Best D&D setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
Okay, I've always had a love of Modern Fantasy/Supernatural-Horror, and I've really been enjoying these Thingy/The Somethening write ups.

Also, I thoroughly enjoyed Changeling: The Lost (I got 1E back in the day.)

Since folks are hip deep in nWoD/CoD, I wonder if anyone could give me an idea of which product lines/books I can look into without supporting... well... corporate entities and people that are awful. There's a lot of controversy swirling around White Wolf and Onyx Path.

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
Oddly enough, Demon is the only one of the C/WoD to trigger a "Why-did-they-use-that-word?" response from me, specifically with their use of Cryptid.

If sasquatch exists in the World of Darkness, is it a Cryptid (Aether-infused mutant animal) or just a mere cryptid (an undiscovered animal?) Or is it a cryptid that's also a Cryptid? Or is it some other kind of horror/spirit/hobgoblin/etc which is a cryptid, but not a Cryptid?

I know cryptid is an out-there word in common parlance, but it seems more relevant in a world/story where mystery creatures are so common.

I mean, at least no one's going to mistake Celerity for anything else. Except celery, (when I feel like bad puns.)

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend

I Am Just a Box posted:

Demon's not the first CofD gameline to claim "cryptid" as a specific class of being, either. The Mage corebook did that first.

I'll admit, that as popular as Mage is around these parts, it's always been too... rules/system-options dense for me to really dig into. It's a bit like trying to get into D&D 3.5/Pathfinder, except none of my RL friends are into it.

Joe Slowboat posted:

I think the use of 'cryptid' was primarily because of the God-Machine's role in the second edition overall as the unifying force behind random low-level weirdness, the vast conspiracy engine that is made up of all the weird little things you can't explain.

So, using cryptid to refer to creatures mutated by the Machine's radiation makes a lot of sense in that context - it's the thing that causes all those weird undiscovered or bizarre creatures, because it's the Generic Urban Legend fountainhead.

Fair enough; it makes sense. That said, I only just recently upgraded from the NWoD 1e to the CoD 2e core-book, and I was seriously thrown to see the God Machine as a baseline assumption.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the God-Machine as an Eldritch Horror story-building concept. If you want something that reads as alien, without being Purple Mango Crazy, the cold purposefulness of a machine that does what it was engineered to do without emotion, ego, or empathy is a chilling start. Even if some of the things it does seem mad, the unwavering determination of a literal Deus ex Machina lend them an assumed and ominous design. Also, that reality is an OS that can be restored to a previous version is the best rational for time travel I may have ever seen.

But, especially given the tool-kit approach of the Chronicles of Darkness, where you're encouraged to say 'Yes, werewolves, prometheans, and changelings, but no vampires, mages, or demons;" (or any combination of the above,) etc, etc... it feels odd that the default answer to why the supernatural exists is an occult-punk The Matrix

Carados posted:

There are five different kind of Wildness Apes and they all have different powers and opinions about the others.

Don't ask a Bigfoot about a Wendigo, they'll never shut up.

Now I really want to GM this scenario so loving bad.

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend

Joe Slowboat posted:

But if there's a Machine, cryptids being a waste product makes sense. (Just like, if the Supernal exists in your game of Chronicles, then a lot of things in human history are intertwined with the rise and descent of symbols in the platonic overworld, and you can assume that all the goings-on of other supernatural lines must in the end have some Supernal resonance, because the Supernal is literally the base code for everything that's not Abyss).

No, it makes sense. If you have a Divine Apparatus running through the Earth, venting off magic fumes, a lot of the weirder wildlife is likely to be magic-waste mutants.

What I find unexpected is that the God Machine itself is a default assumption of the World of Darkness and its weirdness. Even sample vampires and werewolves aren't in the Core Rulebook, but the Eternal Combustion Engine is.

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
Honestly, I think the writers keep the God Machine's reasons for doing specific plans unexplained, both to maintain its mystique and to allow individual storytellers to come up with motivations suited to their table. That said, I can think of at least a couple reasons why could use human watchers (like Brandon) without memories.

A lot of the God Machine's occult matrices involve having a X number of people at a certain place at a specified time for a ritual that releases Y amount of spiritual energy. Memory-less sleepers can fulfill that function without retaining any info. Alternatively, they could serve as wireless security cameras, witnessing Supernatural eventa and uploading them to the God Cloud without retaining any knowledge themselves or breaking Cover etc.

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend

Joe Slowboat posted:

1 Maybe they'll even remember the incident on cue, but only then, and it won't influence them in any way. "Hey, remember when an immense technohorror emerged from the lake and devoured Mr. Jones from down the street?" "No... oh, yes, that was a few weeks ago, wasn't it? I remember because I was on my way to Starbucks but they were out of my favorite flavors."

Sort of an experiment in normalizing Techno-Gnostic Monstrosity in a localized area? I imagine the God Machine could get Its work done much more efficiently without needing all this Concealment Infrastructure just to keep the herd in line.

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend

Mors Rattus posted:

I can't quite put my finger on why this face weirds me out.

It feels like the face got cut and pasted a few pixels too far to the right on the head somehow. It's not quite Picasso, but a little bit there.

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
Edit: Oops.

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend

Halloween Jack posted:

Giovanni were one of the clans introduced in the Player's Guide, which came out before 2e, but none of those clans made it into the 2e rulebook. Wraith didn't come out until '94. So Necromancy, AFAIK, winds up being this sort of self-justifying thing: the existence of ghosts is backfilled from this one clan that has ghost-bothering powers.

Nerd gods forgive me, but after having read this, all I can imagine is a vampire crimelord commanding a Mega-Gengar and maybe a ghost Mewtwo or something.

And the Team Rocket Trio dressed up as Draculas.

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
So, is the Abyss basically like The Nothing from Neverending Story where it's a semi-sentient void, or more like the Dungeon Dimensions from Discworld or Yog-Sothoth from Lovecraft where it's crammed with Things Which Cannot Exist in our reality?

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend

Ratoslov posted:

rather than doing something more profitable like running small crime syndicates or selling hand-knitted scarves on Ebaybutfuture.

I think you mean Neo-Etsy.

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
I will say this much. I will never stop being delighted by hearing/reading someone say "Rabbit Satan."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend

Libertad! posted:

Well it's certainly not a Drider, given that Drow do not exist on Krynn. The monster is a Dsir, who are an underground race from Bestiary of Krynn who have scythe-arms and tusked mouths. Their society is like an ant or bee hive, where they have a single queen matriarch and a bunch of drones which grow up from larval stages.

Here's a pic of the Dsir's Bestiary artwork:

I love them.

I swear I've drawn things like these guys after/during a particularly frustrating day at work. I love them. And I kind of want stats for them, except that I'm afraid they'd be underwhelming in the way 'These guys look so fun!' monster stats often end up.