Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Davros1 posted:

Teacher gimmicks: Dean Douglas, Michelle McCool, Matt Striker
Personal Trainer gimmicks: The Bodydonnas, Simon Dean

Then there was Muffy (?) the personal trainer gimmick who was scrapped almost immediately because she was Stephanie's personal trainer and, what, are you insinuating that she's fat or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The_Rob posted:

I’m actually gonna say Simon Dean was pretty over as a lower midcard dude.

The gimmick that never gets over yet every major company and Indy company does it is “was in the military” it always comes off as corny and lame.

It's interesting that the two people who were actually a success with that gimmick, Sgt Slaughter and Col DeBeers, were (or at least in Sarge's case started out as) heels

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!

The_Rob posted:

I’m actually gonna say Simon Dean was pretty over as a lower midcard dude.

The gimmick that never gets over yet every major company and Indy company does it is “was in the military” it always comes off as corny and lame.

The only person that ever arguably got over with that was Sgt. Slaughter, and IIRC he spent most of his career as a heel, doing the "brutal drill sergeant" gimmick. As a face during the 1980s he was pretty much eclipsed by Hulkamania and when he turned heel in the 1990s again (as the "Iraqi Sympathizer"), literally nobody gave a poo poo.

As an aside, I always wondered why Slaughter was billed as an ex-Marine drill sergeant (and yes, I know he was supposed to have served in the Marines), and yet he wears the rank of an Army staff sergeant on his hat. I know, I know, it's one of those utterly pedantic things that nobody should ever give a poo poo about, but it always slightly irritated me for some weird reason.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Has any "foreign monster heel" gotten remotely over in the last 30 years besides Rusev, who, I think most people would probably agree, was good DESPITE that gimmick rather than because of it?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

TriffTshngo posted:

Has any "foreign monster heel" gotten remotely over in the last 30 years besides Rusev, who, I think most people would probably agree, was good DESPITE that gimmick rather than because of it?

Over with the crowd or with Vince? Because Khali got over with Vince.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The_Rob posted:

He was never actually in the military though. His gimmick was just red state America which will always work.

Jack Swagger died with that gimmick

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

TriffTshngo posted:

remember at blood money 1 when daivari came out with the iranian flag

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Davros1 posted:

It's interesting that the two people who were actually a success with that gimmick, Sgt Slaughter and Col DeBeers, were (or at least in Sarge's case started out as) heels

It is weird that "Professional Murderer" is a natural heel role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jerusalem posted:

I really hope it's a good show and you have a great time - I wasn't blown away by Cedric/AJ on tv recently but I can only imagine they were restraining themselves in that match and the PPV match is gonna be better.

Welp.