Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Antonymous posted:

it's funny in the birdcage

I think the context and the specifics of the characters involved help make it funny or not. I couldn't tell you what the secret sauce is but Some Like it Hot and the Birdcage are funny in a way other movies that use those ideas aren't. Maybe it's that the jokes aren't mean-spirited, idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Antonymous posted:

it's funny in the birdcage

birdcage owns

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
What's the robots from space movie

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

I just finished the fourth season and while I’m finding it entertaining the whole feeling of them deciding character actions by random number generator is kinda wearing on me

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Birdcage is funny cause Nathan Lane's character is the only one who believes in actually trying to fool the other family (rather than trying to just get through the evening unscathed) and coincidentally tells the other family's father exactly what he's been needing to hear. The joke isn't that he's dressed as a woman the joke is the other dad really fuckin needed someone to be on his side and that blinds him to the (obvious?) truth.

Nathan Lane also already identified as a woman a few times earlier in the movie so it's his character's climax to finally be himself and be accepted, rather than most movies like someone said, it's the greatest discomfort imposed on the character

edit: I am mixing up the characters pronouns but the movie does too idk. I just watched it a week or two ago. The son is the villain, disgusting vile son

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 01:08 on Feb 3, 2023

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

The birdcage is perfect except the ending needed to be a double wedding where Lane and Williams get married too and they get the freeze frame at the end. drat I want a time machine to fix this mistake, I'd let hitler live

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Antonymous posted:

I wonder how many people had a sexual awakening watching White Chicks

My sexual awakening was during You're the One That I Want from Grease with whatsherface wearing the black outfit
My aunt noticed and pointed out to everyone

Yeah, that ones probably formative

Also the sexy cave women in the wu tang Gravel Pit video.
I only remembered when watching it randomly last year and some ancient but deep rooted neurons fired up

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I remember a kid I knew, in middle school, was chasing meryl into the bathroom in metal gear solid 1 so you're doing pretty good

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I guess its a real 'life comes at you fast' moment

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I know the discussion has moved on but the best 2020's comedy that won't gently caress with you is Ghosts. It's sweet and quick and forgettable and enjoyable

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I love Reservation Dogs I think it might be one of the top 10 shows of the last 20 years but every single episode has a moment like the one in TNG's inner light where old Picard realizes he's been in a simulation for decades where he realizes he's the somebody. And guess what sometimes people are just tired from work and their normal lives and they don't want a gut punch they just wanna watch some flashing lights before they pass out and then wake up and do it all over again. And Ghosts is that. But it's well written, it's got heart, there's continuity, and it's funny. I'm not telling you to watch a bad show and then saying turn off your brain like when assholes recommend "popcorn movies". Keep your brain on. But enjoy something light and relaxing for once

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I've only seen the BBC Ghosts, but it is pretty good. I'm curious how different the US one is.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Buck Wildman posted:

death to videodrome imo

LONG LIVE THE NEW FLESH

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Substandard posted:

I've only seen the BBC Ghosts, but it is pretty good. I'm curious how different the US one is.

I watched all of BBC ghosts and the US version is different enough that it didn't piss me off. It's not a Peep Show/Office season one situation

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Yadoppsi posted:

They still are. Who's been rehabbing them? Dolan's guest on War Nerd Radio's sci-fi and facism episode had some choice quotes from their founders.

As for the rule bending, even among sci-fi geeks who the hell likes procedure nerds?

The post I'm replying to said people viewed the puppies as horrible for making a slate and violating decorum when everyone was pissed that they were a bunch fascists. That's how I remember it at least that it was about these guys who don't want Scifi and fantasy to move beyond the 70s suburban reactionary stuff

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

ArmZ posted:

LONG LIVE THE NEW FLESH

imo

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

I;m thinkin about thos Black n whites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRL4cXXX9Po

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I love Reservation Dogs I think it might be one of the top 10 shows of the last 20 years but every single episode has a moment like the one in TNG's inner light where old Picard realizes he's been in a simulation for decades where he realizes he's the somebody. And guess what sometimes people are just tired from work and their normal lives and they don't want a gut punch they just wanna watch some flashing lights before they pass out and then wake up and do it all over again. And Ghosts is that. But it's well written, it's got heart, there's continuity, and it's funny. I'm not telling you to watch a bad show and then saying turn off your brain like when assholes recommend "popcorn movies". Keep your brain on. But enjoy something light and relaxing for once

One of the hardest thing to understand is where people got the phrase "turn off your brain" and why it got popular, and where do people use it.
I have never heard anybody say, turn off your brain to watch the simpsons.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5xCqYLVzXc

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Substandard posted:

I only watched one episode of the Yankee version but it sucked not just in comparison but on it's own merits

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

One of the hardest thing to understand is where people got the phrase "turn off your brain" and why it got popular, and where do people use it.
I have never heard anybody say, turn off your brain to watch the simpsons.

It's code for "stop criticizing the thing I liked/disliked you are upsetting my tum tum"

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Turn off your brain makes sense for good, visceral poo poo like Crank or Shoot'em Up or Guns Akimbo. Media where the point is the spectacle. Style over substance.

Criticizing a lack of internal logic for those would be like criticizing the plot of an amusement park ride - it's not the point.

But it's just like "tune in and drop out" or whatever

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Substandard posted:

is BBC Ghosts like that one vampire/werewolf/ghost cohabitation show where the U.S. version was horrible

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

also i think SG:U was the best stargate series?

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Oglethorpe posted:

is BBC Ghosts like that one vampire/werewolf/ghost cohabitation show where the U.S. version was horrible

Being Human! I like the BBC version quite a bit but didn't make it 1 episode into the US one.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Substandard posted:

Being Human! I like the BBC version quite a bit but didn't make it 1 episode into the US one.

i started the bbc series before the US version was a thing but didn't dare watch the US version after the bbc series uh i guess you'd say "went off the rails" toward the end

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Oglethorpe posted:

no. its awful and the other two are excellent despite their flaws

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

sg-1 the eternal goat. atlantis had some good episodes i guess

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Long live MacGuyver and Kratos in Space

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

fits my needs posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1621178699956764674?s=20

whens the first ukraine version of this movie gonna come out

It's going to be so cool if this helps the US remember the retreat from Afghanistan as some operators being badass instead of an incredible clusterfuck

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

It's going to be so cool if this helps the US remember the retreat from Afghanistan as some operators being badass instead of an incredible clusterfuck

Thats exactly whats going to happen like how 80s movies rewrote the Vietnam War

Durf
Aug 16, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

lmao

https://twitter.com/pop_arena/status/1620134358630924288

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lmao these books sound and look amazing

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

i don't remember much about animorphs but i really liked everworld at the time

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

lmao these books sound and look amazing

they are unironically very good

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
War crimes! War Crimes! War Crimes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zrE6m3xOoE

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

tristeham posted:

i don't remember much about animorphs but i really liked everworld at the time

Jazerus posted:

they are unironically very good

my friend recommended them to me in middle school but he was also a piers anthony fan so I wholly disregarded it

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

animorphs ruled and taught me a surprising amount about zoology, also never to trust creepy happy clapper youth organisations

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i say swears online posted:

my friend recommended them to me in middle school but he was also a piers anthony fan so I wholly disregarded it

your friend was a land of contrasts

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Strange Matters, wayside stories from wayside school, The Adventures Of The Bailey School Kids, Barf-o-Rama so many good books in the 90s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Oglethorpe posted:

what the gently caress