Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

BoosterDuck posted:

pokemon's mainline games have been trash since 2003

oh I've got little kids so none of that matters.

seriously though that Post Malone Hootie cover slaps. -thing I said in 2021 without irony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Sorry for gushing about The Expanse long after everyone else, but I'm just in one of my phases where I devour an entire show and want to talk about it. This show has a great knack for making me like characters I hated at first. It did it with Miller, and now Ashford.

Aww gently caress I'm still only in Season 4.

I've been watching for three days.

I thought that might be the case so I tried to be very vague with my comment about her role in season 5.

Anyway Miller owns and Ashford owns and the whole show owns and I'll leave it at that.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Echo Chamber posted:

I really haven't watched that much TV since the pandemic began. And clips like this surface and I'm like, "I'm not missing out too much."
https://twitter.com/lisasrina/status/1365028600639082499?s=21

did getfiscal write this script

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

vyelkin posted:

I thought that might be the case so I tried to be very vague with my comment about her role in season 5.

Anyway Miller owns and Ashford owns and the whole show owns and I'll leave it at that.

I have no clue about what happens to her, I'm jsut dreading it a bit now. XD

I didn't like Miller at first cause he felt like a bit of a cliché stuck to a less interesting subplot. As things developed and the stakes got higher and we got a better view of the man, I realized that he owns yeah.

Same with Ashford. After the episode where he's stuck with Drummer you get a better feeling of what makes him tick and that's when I started loving the guy even as the poo poo went down. That's some good writing.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Echo Chamber posted:

I really haven't watched that much TV since the pandemic began. And clips like this surface and I'm like, "I'm not missing out too much."
https://twitter.com/lisasrina/status/1365028600639082499?s=21

theres something genuinely sad about this people with such abstract definitions of culture and ethnicity they stereotype themselves harder than actual racists stereotype them

as much as id like to just blame this on whatever weird as hell show that clip came from i know the trend is far more pervasive than that and it really sucks

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The Expanse really benefits from some great acting. The characters of Drummer, Ashford, Avasarala, and especially Amos are really elevated by the performances.

And then there's Holden, who I struggle to care about.

I'm also unsure if Frankie Adams is giving a good performance or a mediocre performance.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Sorry for gushing about The Expanse long after everyone else, but I'm just in one of my phases where I devour an entire show and want to talk about it.

dont apologize friend this is the thread for people who are streets behind on their pop culture references

why one of these years i might even watch the expanse and post my belated thoughts about it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

BoosterDuck posted:

pokemon's mainline games have been trash since 2003

hmm wrongo

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

theres something genuinely sad about this people with such abstract definitions of culture and ethnicity they stereotype themselves harder than actual racists stereotype them

as much as id like to just blame this on whatever weird as hell show that clip came from i know the trend is far more pervasive than that and it really sucks

that show was written by two white women

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Farm Frenzy posted:

that show was written by two white allies

fixed that for you

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Atrocious Joe posted:

Same. I care because the rest of the crew care about him. But I don't hate him. He's just... there.

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

Farm Frenzy posted:

Could've fooled me, the dialogue sounded so authentic

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i am reading far too much twitter and i think tv writers are probably doing the same

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Looking forward to a future where zoomer liberals start their bending style on their Twitter profiles.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
The acting in the expanse is ok until they're doing dubbed stuff during action sequences where they appear to have been given no direction for the scene

Also just got to S2 and I'm really struggling with the kiwi accent

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Farm Frenzy posted:

https://twitter.com/RickyRawls/status/1365090348188499969

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

well this is one of the funnier contexts to find out that the extremely dumb screenwriters guild rules are preventing pocs from getting recognized for their writing credits

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

The Expanse really benefits from some great acting. The characters of Drummer, Ashford, Avasarala, and especially Amos are really elevated by the performances.

I'm also unsure if Frankie Adams is giving a good performance or a mediocre performance.

Yeah Holden is like the epitome of the blank slate do-gooder protagonist who's there to give the audience somebody to identify with. I can't tell if it's the writing or the acting but he's definitely the weakest link in the main cast and I feel bad about that, because like, he's fine but everybody around him is good so he drags them down whenever a scene revolves around him. Also tbf he gets a lot better once his character chills the gently caress out at the end of season 2. His season 2 arc of glowering and shouting at everybody all the time gets old really fast.

Also Frankie Adams is great because she grows into the role at the same pace as Bobbie grows as a character, so at the beginning both the character and the acting are really one-note, but after a season or two they're both excellent.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

well this is one of the funnier contexts to find out that the extremely dumb screenwriters guild rules are preventing pocs from getting recognized for their writing credits

also they were writing for a paycheck, and probably knew what the people in charge wanted to see, so that did that as well. the whole "well a poc told me about it so it must be true" is another thing white people love to do to reaffirm their weird ideas about race.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/treymangum/status/1365346282156474371?s=21

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

it's gonna be Donald Glover

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I think Marco Inaros has the Zeon Eagle on his jumpsuit, making the Gundam/The Expanse article even more relevant somehow.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Jj Abrams is a hack

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Atrocious Joe posted:

His mouth is always hanging open.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

lol hes currently the writer for black panther and captain america and is so bad at it he almost singlehandedly tanked their franchises

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Bro Dad posted:

lol hes currently the writer for black panther and captain america and is so bad at it he almost singlehandedly tanked their franchises

wait, he wrote the film in which the plucky CIA guy loving around in an independent African nation is a hero?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

what is this

https://twitter.com/PaleoSteno/status/1364985191220011008

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Man of Steel already made the story about Kryptonians being settler colonialists who destroyed themselves through environmental destructions, which is where I would expect TNC to go with the Superman story.

People call Snyder as fascist, but he's just a liberal with a sense of style, which is similar but not the same.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

it's gonna be Donald Glover

im sad that we will never get to see his movie about the hatian revolution

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

World War Mammories posted:

wait, he wrote the film in which the plucky CIA guy loving around in an independent African nation is a hero?

nah the comics, he rebooted them after very successful runs (like the avengers and x-men had wakanda tie-ins) and now they're both some of the lowest selling comics marvel puts out.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

People lean on the "Superheroes are the New Gods" thesis, but love to avoid the conclusion that Disney now exists in a role equivalent to past organized religious institutions that determined canon. Which makes that whole position creepy instead of dorky.

Everyone loves to "Attack and Dethrone God" until god is in spandex I guess.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Atrocious Joe posted:

People lean on the "Superheroes are the New Gods" thesis, but love to avoid the conclusion that Disney now exists in a role equivalent to past organized religious institutions that determined canon. Which makes that whole position creepy instead of dorky.

Does it make the position creepy, or the reality of the situation creepy? Because imo that's a very valid interpretation, and it does highlight the power that Disney--as well as a lot of mainstream entertainment--has in shaping our culture and values, explicitly and implicitly.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

yeah, people treat Disney properties with a creepy amount of reverence

quote:

The thing about the Marvel Cinematic Universe is that the people behind it have a talent for pushing buttons in the human brain. Like any major brand in 2021, they’ve gotten as far as they have largely by figuring out how to cut past people’s mental defenses and make them feel something. It doesn’t work on everyone, of course, nor does it work with every MCU product. But, far more often than virtually every other entertainment franchise, this one is able to hit your pleasure receptors and turn you into a giddy, drooling, and/or bawling mess.

I don’t like how much power this corporate entity has over my emotions and those of countless millions of other humans — but when it works, it really works. Sure, a big portion of that success comes from the focus-grouped science of social engineering and attention manipulation. But it’s not just science that has made Marvel the dominant force in global entertainment. It’s also magic.

https://www.vulture.com/article/wandavision-episode-8-recap-previously-on.html

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Atrocious Joe posted:

yeah, people treat Disney properties with a creepy amount of reverence

https://www.vulture.com/article/wandavision-episode-8-recap-previously-on.html

If anything that just supports the "superheroes are the new gods" thesis

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Scorsese saying that superhero movies are like amusement park rides was hitting the nail on the head. It’s trying to justify having fun as being a cultural artform when it’s really just a rollercoaster that either pumps you up for bores you.

I can be totally fine with fun movies that don’t mean anything. But nerds really want to justify their obsessed habits as being peak culture instead of just admitting that they really enjoy the zany rollercoaster.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

If anything that just supports the "superheroes are the new gods" thesis

yeah, I'm not totally against the idea. I guess my main point is, that if it is true, it has disturbing implications.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Bro Dad posted:

nah the comics, he rebooted them after very successful runs (like the avengers and x-men had wakanda tie-ins) and now they're both some of the lowest selling comics marvel puts out.

lmao oh my lord

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

The more I read about this show, the less I want to watch any kind of television anymore. I guess that's good?

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
weren’t the greek pantheon not so much a true working religion among the people as they were the patron deities of cults not representative of the general population?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

people focus so much on the subject matter so much, trying to take down scorsese by saying he just makes movies with gangsters and guys who hang out with their friends, while trying to attach some sort of special significance to their comic book heroes

but the movies they're defending are just very poorly made, almost universally so. just absolute dogshit in almost every regard. you can make a good movie about superheroes, I guess, these just aren't it