Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Just got back from Color Out of Space. Reposting my short review from elsewhere:

THE COLOR OUT OF SPACE
A lumpy bumpy eewie gooey boppin romp in the same gleefully cruel 80s vein as Chuck Russell’s remake of The Blob. We get Fun Cage instead of Good Cage here, and he spends the last half doing a great rendition of Jack Torrence by way of surfer rear end in a top hat. Spectrevision hasn't messed up yet, thank god.

Also, it’s a Richard Stanley film! And maybe one of the better attempts to visualize Lovecraft’s sense of unease and extradimensional terror. The decision to use what I can only imagine was a paltry effects budget on Jan Svankmajer style janky woodcut stop motion type cgi instead of biasing toward verisimilitude was brilliant. Go, see, get slime on ya!

9/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I almost went to see either Uncut Gems or Parasite finally, but this month has sucked a real nasty one so far & I really just wanted to see a family melt.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
rufus sewell sure does like playing a guy who collaborates with monsters

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

finished the second season of you and that definitely exceeded expectations by a long shot while the first season had joe dealing with fairly transparent abusers as a part of his elaborate white knight fantasy most of the people he deals with in the second season are fourth dimensional chess playing rationalizers with sad backstory like him and the parallels and hypocrisy when contrasted with joes own behavior are so obvious that joe has about as much trouble maintaining his internal moral narrative as he does dealing with the increasingly outrageous logistical problems that are involved in keeping the various crimes covered up

my favorite example was ellie a teenage girl whos so aggressive that shes convinced herself this means its impossible for anyone to manipulate her ellies a really nice contrast to the usual passive stereotype of underage teenagers at risk because i suspect a lot of them get into these situations the same way ellie does by consciously deciding to ignore obvious red flags because theyre so special and smart they obviously cant turn into a stupid victim i liked how the only way anybody can get ellie to do anything is by flattering the hell out of her and by the last episode even joes doing that just to try and get her to go away not that he ever notices that hes engaging in the exact same manipulation hed been so critical of earlier in the season

its a really nice way of building on the themes of the first scene by just putting joe into these situations with other similar people that prove he isnt really special at all except in the sense that his wacky schemes result in dead bodies as opposed to just ruined lives the dostoyevskyesque narcissism of the finale was also a nice touch with joe rather hilariously concluding that he whether or not he is evil depends on externalities he cant control rather than his own decisions when literally the entire show is about him making decisions and the final shot is him making another one that will presumably define the conflict for the next season

i appreciate the willingness of you to just jettison most of the existing cast on a season to season basis and start out with something new instead of relying on mystery box bullshit it shows confidence in the immediate product and also demonstrates that the writing isnt going to jerk us around and just gives us relatively clean season breaks with at worst a dun dun dun moment

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

quote:

The idea I'm getting from this shot is that Ra pilots the sun around the flat earth by turning this hand crank 24/7, is that right?

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Skellybones posted:

The idea I'm getting from this shot is that Ra pilots the sun around the flat earth by turning this hand crank 24/7, is that right?

yeah, and then he takes breaks to shoot at the worm void monster that they call apophis, but this is will always be apophis to me

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

mysterious frankie posted:

I almost went to see either Uncut Gems or Parasite finally, but this month has sucked a real nasty one so far & I really just wanted to see a family melt.

Speaking of Uncut Gems, sorta, Good Time is by the same directors and is free on Prime. If you're like me and have been thinking "The trailer for Uncut Gems was dogshit and I've never heard of these Safdie guys; am I being trolled by... literally everyone?" check it out. It's extremely good.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82FiF1mXPh0

Picard loving sucks and retcons anything interesting about TNG

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Isn't Set the one fighting Apophis to protect Ra normally?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

not gonna lie its pretty funny that picard is somehow managing to be less woke than something that was written thirty years ago with a writing staff that probably knew next to nothing about trans issues

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Star Trek is never going to be good again at least until capitalism collapses, or I guess if the rights for it somehow end up in the hands of a company that is willing to take even the smallest possible risk instead of making the entertainment equivalent of hamburger helper

See also: Almost everything in Hollywood, almost all AAA video games

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

Isn't Set the one fighting Apophis to protect Ra normally?

Yeah they really hosed it up

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/coff33detective/status/1221241398688735232?s=19

WATCH ANOTHER MOVIE

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You won’t catch me watching Picard, looks like poo poo

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I watched The Gentlemen, which is I assume the yin to the Little Women yang, and it was a good fairytale about the drug industry (CIA/MI6 mysteriously absent, though mossad makes a brief appearance)

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Some Guy TT posted:

not gonna lie its pretty funny that picard is somehow managing to be less woke than something that was written thirty years ago with a writing staff that probably knew next to nothing about trans issues

how so, i havent seen it and i assume it sucks but im curious on how it manages to be socially poo poo. dont care about spoilers

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

in the clip that was posted picard is muttering about how data always wanted a daughter this is presumably a reference to the next generation episode where data makes another android which is referred to as his daughter only after it picks a gender because as data stresses he believes that his child has the right to select its own gender

its not like mega transphobic or anything but wanting a son or daughter specifically is passe now although not quite as much so thirty years ago because its seen as putting unfair expectations on the child and data going out of his way to let his daughter define her own identity was supposed to signify how hes a good dad and also a good person er android in general so thats a really weird thing to retcon slash forget about when a major part of your shows premise is that data was cool and awesome and much better than picards still living lovely meatbag friends who never call or write

Salmonella James
Oct 1, 2018

The original Star Trek was about the friendship between a guy who is never horny and a guy who is always horny, who is in fact the leader of a bunch of horny guys. Any Star Trek show that isn't about that contrast isn't worth watching.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It is really a bummer what they have done to Star Trek, like who gives a poo poo about Star Wars but it would be nice to have a fun and good episodic Star Trek and not this dumbass poo poo for morons.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

red letter media’s reaction to picard is pretty negative, and my only friends who seem to like it have real questionable taste. im gonna skip it, i can go without seeing more Gritty star trek full of rear end in a top hat characters and the Dark Federation

THS
Sep 15, 2017

honestly i think im done watching anything at this point, i am just going to stare at my ceiling for a couple hours every evening now

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like watching my cats jump around

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

THS posted:

honestly i think im done watching anything at this point, i am just going to stare at my ceiling for a couple hours every evening now

if you think about it, reading books is a lot like watching TV, except with your imagination

THS
Sep 15, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

if you think about it, reading books is a lot like watching TV, except with your imagination

ok but the problem with books is, you dont know which ones are good, until you read one, and that takes too long and is often boring

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I don't think PIcard was that bad, but I like patrick stewart being incredibly hopeful which is kinda nice.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

It is really a bummer what they have done to Star Trek, like who gives a poo poo about Star Wars but it would be nice to have a fun and good episodic Star Trek and not this dumbass poo poo for morons.

for my sins I have seen both seasons of Star Trek Discovery and it is such utter garbage

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

vyelkin posted:

for my sins I have seen both seasons of Star Trek Discovery and it is such utter garbage

I watched part of the first one and it was worse than I was even expecting

coathat
May 21, 2007

I'm much to smart to watch any new star trek

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

I watched part of the first one and it was worse than I was even expecting

KLINGON 1 (intensely): MORF. GWARF. LRORF, NORF. MUNGOR PRARF. LUMF, CHRAF.

KLINGON 2 (intensely): GRARF. PUHL, PUHL, SLARF.

KLINGON 1 (intensely): HLURP.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Maybe wait til Picard has more than literally one episode before doomsaying

Star Trek pilots are always much worse than the series

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

is it really a pilot when theyve already planned out like three seasons its not like they can just ditch datas replicant babies if the whole premise revolves around them

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Maybe wait til Picard has more than literally one episode before doomsaying

Star Trek pilots are always much worse than the series

I was a lot more forgiving when shows had like 26 episodic episodes a season

Now it's around 10 and serialized and if this poo poo isnt off on a good footing it really causes a poo poo cascade

I didn't dislike Picard really but I wish I recognized the world of TNG more in the show.

They should have ignored all the movies

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Over Easy posted:

Now it's around 10 and serialized and if this poo poo isnt off on a good footing it really causes a poo poo cascade

This is the real problem. Not every episode of TNG has a good story (Crusher is being haunted by a vampire ghost or w/e comes to mind) but you can skip those. You can't skip a bad episode of Discovery because the bad storyline is the entire season.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Over Easy posted:

Peanut President posted:

This is the real problem. Not every episode of TNG has a good story (Crusher is being haunted by a vampire ghost or w/e comes to mind) but you can skip those. You can't skip a bad episode of Discovery because the bad storyline is the entire season.
was the serialization of plotlines a good or bad thing? I seem to recall a big part of the criticism of Voyager was that each episode was far too self-contained, so now we have overarching stories and that's also not good either?

Serf
May 5, 2011

i watched all of discovery and while it was decent television it wasn't good star trek. 100% serialized stories don't work in star trek, and making poo poo all grimdark ruined it. star trek should be an idealized utopian story about goofy nerds having space adventures. at least the next season is not going to have to struggle to square with the timeline

picard so far just seems like whatever. nothing star trek happened at all

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

was the serialization of plotlines a good or bad thing? I seem to recall a big part of the criticism of Voyager was that each episode was far too self-contained, so now we have overarching stories and that's also not good either?

Serialization is not bad per se, DS9 was heavily serialized and by the end was basically a 10-part finale, but it was also a good show made by good show-makers. Discovery could be 100% episodic and it might improve it a little bit because there wouldn't be so much dumb pressure to have every single thing tie back to every other thing, but as long as it was still written and produced and directed by the same people with the same goals then it would still be bad.

Serf
May 5, 2011

oh yeah the best episode of discovery was the one with harry mudd because it was the most standalone episode

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I dunno but Voyager is widely recognised as being the worst of both worlds since the core series conceit should be serialised but in practice it desperately wanted to be TNG

THS
Sep 15, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

you can do it either way if the writing is good. if the writing is bad then it’s bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Star Trek Fox News smeared hero troop picard, and now it's up to him to solve the refugee problem and the android genocide.

Yay