Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I just finished the show about the miserable horse. God dammit someone needs to convince comedy writers to back off character development; they aren’t as good at it as they think they are and they just kinda exchanged the rule of funny for the rule of misery. Also gently caress me I am so tired of hearing about how alienating and sad it is to be a Hollywood millionaire, or how hard and dreary it is to be the upper middle class assistant of a Hollywood millionaire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sand maggot
Jan 3, 2020

I can’t decide which series’ success epitomizes the collapse of American culture into mindless consumerism more, the MCU or the Fast and Furious franchise. Look at how stupid the latest F&F trailer is, and then remind yourself that this will probably make 2+ billion dollars.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

mysterious frankie posted:

I just finished the show about the miserable horse. God dammit someone needs to convince comedy writers to back off character development; they aren’t as good at it as they think they are and they just kinda exchanged the rule of funny for the rule of misery. Also gently caress me I am so tired of hearing about how alienating and sad it is to be a Hollywood millionaire, or how hard and dreary it is to be the upper middle class assistant of a Hollywood millionaire.

I've never watched that show but everything I've read about it makes it sound insufferable. Like "wow rich and famous people get sad too, also they're talking animals for some reason" is not a comedic premise I find very appealing for some reason!!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS2Fs2nGOl0

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They call it poop culture for a reason

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

vyelkin posted:

I've never watched that show but everything I've read about it makes it sound insufferable. Like "wow rich and famous people get sad too, also they're talking animals for some reason" is not a comedic premise I find very appealing for some reason!!

The venn diagram of Bojack fans and people who are depressed and anxious is a perfect circle

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prn7MVvQ_W0

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

vyelkin posted:

I'm stealing from my own facebook here, but I feel like this is about as good as I can do to sum up this stupid show that I nonetheless watched from beginning to end

PREVIOUSLY ON HIT NETFLIX COMEDY MAUDLIN MARE

-I dropped a hundred dollar bill on the sidewalk outside the liquor store and for the first time I noticed that the picture of the president on it looks like my dad, which made me realize; I never knew him any better than I know that person on the money. maybe that's why I drink; I'm afraid that, if I stop drinking, all that will be left is my father, who I never knew. maybe I'm afraid I'll stop existing.
-I'm starting to feel like identifying as bisexual no longer liberates me, mantis that I am dating. It defines me and I think right now I need to live without definitions, so that I can be free to let the universe tell me what the right ones are
-it's me, the wacky comic relief screwball character!*looks directly at camera* my foster parents molested me

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

It sorta balanced the mope and melodrama with satire and sharp humor writing in earlier seasons, but in the last few it flanderized itself on a conceptual level, where all the characters flattened out into drive through speaker clowns that take turns reciting excerpts of really lovely one man shows from the Glasgow Fringe Festival.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

I never watched Horse Man but this thread is making me want to.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I mean, there are worse ways to be ultimately disappointed.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Dreylad posted:

the data/picard thing was something they played up in the movies, first contact, insurrection a little bit, then nemesis

so that's where they're drawing it from it's not completely wrong if you look at it from the perspective that the characters continue to grow after TNG ends -- data and picard become closer, picard starts playing poker at the end of "all good things" which is something explicitly shown with picard.

that doesn't mean picard is good or I really want to defend it though gently caress im a nerd

No, I think you're right and RLM is wrong on the specific point of Picard not being close to his crew. It was a plot arc, he did get close, and he did give a poo poo about Data. They're just making that poo poo up based on the first few seasons. After Plinkett's positive review of JJTrek I've taken everything they've had to say with a grain of salt.

The biggest problem I have with the show is that it considers the supernova from trekformers canon. I would rather pretend none of that existed. You could still have a refugee situation with the Cardassians... their homeworld got hosed up too... I feel like there's way too much pretending DS9 never happened and way too much pretending JJTrek DID happen going on here.

There is a nugget of something interesting in the show. Roddenberry's vision for Star Trek was always a bit 'bio-conservative'. Prejudice towards androids was not an unheard of thing in the Federation... it was clearly quite common since Data kept running into people who hated taking orders from him or being outclassed in some mundane task by him. The Federation also had strict limitations on genetic engineering and cybernetics due to the Augments and the Eugenics Wars. This is an area where the Federation isn't totally spotless that would be really interesting to see Star Trek fix. It just looks like they're going to bungle it, unfortunately.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Twitter pointed me to "#JusticeForJohnnyDepp" and apparently it very recently came out that it was Amber Heard who was abusing Depp.

https://twitter.com/depphead_/status/1223762753271336960

I'm just the tiniest bit skeptical because it was the Daily Mail that broke this story, but, if true, this would be an inversion of prior allegations, wouldn't it?

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

Many abusive relationships feature both partners abusing one another, to one extent or another. It's also possible that Depp truly is flat-out innocent. I don't know what to think. My vibe is that neither person is mentally all there.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Yeah after a while they basically gave up on that and Bojack and co basically just voice the writers's opinions on things. I assume they wanted a season or 2 more more but Netflix canceled on them. The only good episode of the season was the view from halfway down.

AnimeIsTrash has issued a correction as of 06:30 on Feb 2, 2020

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Saturnalia posted:

I can’t decide which series’ success epitomizes the collapse of American culture into mindless consumerism more, the MCU or the Fast and Furious franchise. Look at how stupid the latest F&F trailer is, and then remind yourself that this will probably make 2+ billion dollars.

MCU actively tries to make people believe their crap has some sort of meaning behind it. The whole "it's about family" thing with the Fast and Furious is the film version of "I buy it for the articles".

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the great irony of that comparison is that fast and the furious is considerably more woke than mcu movies with an overwhelmingly non white cast plus the reboot got kicked off by a failed asian american director who only got a hold of the franchise because universal had low expectations and didnt particularly give a poo poo what the final product looked like

the fast and the furious movies are on a conceptual level considerably more woke than disney marvel movies which started out as white as possible only introduced diversity as slowly and bergudgingly as possible but nevertheless expected and received countless blow jobs in the media for doing anything at all

none of this is to suggest that the fast and the furious movies are actually good but the comparison has very much worked to their advantage in much the same way that obama was able to take advantage of his background to con people into thinking he had substance just because thats a very low bar to clear when you have black skin and are standing next to hilary clinton

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

bojack through season 4 loving knocked me on my rear end but it really feels like the writers got spooked by pickle rick and really doubled down on trying to make bojack loathsome

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Superhero’s teach the peasants about civic values and having hope

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

anyone else thought it was weird as hell when the fast and the furious crew learn that theres an ultrapowered surveillance device that can track literally anything on the planet and they just uncritically agree to work to make sure the right kind of corporate spooks have it

these exact same characters telling the police to go gently caress off so they can go steal poo poo apparently managed to lose any kind of skepticism of authority figures over the course of like two movies

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the Fast and the Furious movies have long hit the power level of superheroes anyway, if Hobbs & Shaw was any indication

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Superhero’s teach the peasants about civic values and having hope

the one thing i learned from avengers is it's okay to destroy a city and kill numerous civilians as long as the good guys win

Serf
May 5, 2011

the fast and furious movies are good and fun because they're just big action movies with no pretensions of deeper meaning or big messages like the mcu. you can watch a fast and furious movie and know that it isn't trying to impart any lesson to you. it purely wants to show you fast cars doing exceedingly more and more crazy/stupid stunts and that's it

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i love the whole uncle ben died in avengers theory because its just fans desperately pretending like mcu movies have some kind of artistically defensible moral ambiguity when in reality they make a hard swerve to avoid doing anything remotely interesting with their increasingly bizarre premises

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Peanut President posted:

the one thing i learned from avengers is it's okay to destroy a city and kill numerous civilians as long as the good guys win

Thats the power of hope

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Some Guy TT posted:

anyone else thought it was weird as hell when the fast and the furious crew learn that theres an ultrapowered surveillance device that can track literally anything on the planet and they just uncritically agree to work to make sure the right kind of corporate spooks have it

these exact same characters telling the police to go gently caress off so they can go steal poo poo apparently managed to lose any kind of skepticism of authority figures over the course of like two movies

well they were kinda being blackmailed into doing it, they still were ok with it tho

gradenko_2000 posted:

the Fast and the Furious movies have long hit the power level of superheroes anyway, if Hobbs & Shaw was any indication

yeah, the end of the tank chase in 6 is vin diesel's character clearly just flying and summoning a car to break his fall

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Peanut President posted:

no see its okay because the evil Government wanted to nuke the city which would have killed even more civilians and therefore faaaaaaart

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm not one of those assholes who thinks the F&F movies were better when they were about the cars, but I would like to see the franchise pivot away from espionage, because... well... gently caress the empire. Fast Five is still the peak of the series.

I haven't checked out that Netflix animated series yet, but the fact that the word "spy" is in the title is already troubling.

Hobbs & Shaw sucks and I hope it doesn't get a sequel. I'm glad The Rock and his MBS-loving rear end aren't in F9.

Echo Chamber has issued a correction as of 22:45 on Feb 2, 2020

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Peanut President posted:

it's still very funny to me that Man of Steel made a big deal about how the fight between Supes and Zod killed a lot of civilians as they blasted through office buildings, and Batman vs Superman even plays it up as a sort of 9/11-ish situation... and then the movie goes out of its way to repeatedly tell the audience that all the succeeding fights happen in completely depopulated parts of the city

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I was working for a company that cleaned up burnt and otherwise damaged homes when I watched Pacific Rim and all I could think is how much itd suck to clean up after

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
fast 8 was a real loving drag and pretty much killed the franchise for me

fast 9 ought to be great now that they dumped rock/statham who were pretty much dead weight and instead brought in loving john cena of all people, also han's somehow back what the gently caress

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ZL5AxmK_A

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i liked it but im not sure why you posted it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/mavericksmovies/status/1223500869120868352

what assholes

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i could have sworn that the academy has a rule saying youre only allowed to vote in a category if youve seen all the movies that were nominated

such a rule would admittedly be impossible to enforce but thats why you wouldnt tell anybody something like that

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm hung over and sleep deprived today and I've tried to watch The Sisters Brothers twice and fallen asleep both times.

The only thing that keeps me awake is these awful animal spy videos where people place a fake animatronic baby animal somewhere where real animals hang out and film their reactions.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
They sent this robot monkey baby into this colony of monkeys and one of the monkeys accidentally dropped the robo baby and all the real monkeys got convinced it was dead and gathered around mourning and grieving. Why. Why would you mess with the emotions of monkeys like that??

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I still stand by me belief that trashing the Hollywood establishment, and thus the Oscars, is consistent with left wing politics and anticapitalism.

The libs who boost #OscarsSoWhite every other year may have different motives, but I'm more than willing to point out how open and obvious the rot in mass media is.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Twitter pointed me to "#JusticeForJohnnyDepp" and apparently it very recently came out that it was Amber Heard who was abusing Depp.

https://twitter.com/depphead_/status/1223762753271336960

I'm just the tiniest bit skeptical because it was the Daily Mail that broke this story, but, if true, this would be an inversion of prior allegations, wouldn't it?

Doug Stanhope was talking about he and his GF witnessed this years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so i just watched an episode of curb your enthusiasm having not done so for a fairly long time and uh one plot is larry bitching about having to pay out for a sexual harassment lawsuit and offending the charity hes supposed to be donating to by not kissing the emcee another one ends with a brown skinned dude stealing larrys credit card and him and his buddies dunk larry and friends in trash cans for accidental racist lisping and also ted danson is starring in a major feature film about how great robert e lee was

at what point did this show become the cringe i had always assumed it was mocking