Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

CharlestheHammer posted:

the joker isn’t a bad movie it’s just unfocused. Like the writer had ideas but that’s it. Some people like it because it’s vaguely woke but it never really goes anywhere with it.

though you should check out the jokers last speech because it’s hilarious and so dumb

the only legitimately entertaining part of that movie was when phoenix tries to act like a badass in front of the two detectives outside the hospital and walks directly into a sliding glass door. the whole movie leading up to that moment is just so somber and depressing, the unexpected slapstick lands even harder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Comic book movie villains who were right

1. Bane
2. Joker (probably at least one of them anyways)
3. That blue guy from guardians of the galaxy 1 that wanted to destroy the planet that was apparently all cops
4. That other blue guy.
5. Mr. Mime

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

ikanreed posted:

Comic book movie villains who were right

1. Bane
2. Joker (probably at least one of them anyways)
3. That blue guy from guardians of the galaxy 1 that wanted to destroy the planet that was apparently all cops
4. That other blue guy.
5. Mr. Mime

wasn't mandarin from iron man 2 anti-MIC and basically only working with tony's tech so that he could take him down? i might be misremembering his motivations as i haven't seen the movie in years

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Freaking Crumbum posted:

wasn't mandarin from iron man 2 anti-MIC and basically only working with tony's tech so that he could take him down? i might be misremembering his motivations as i haven't seen the movie in years

Whiplash was iron Man 2

Mandarin was 3

I don't remember anything else about those movies

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Whiplash was iron Man 2

Mandarin was 3

I don't remember anything else about those movies

whiplash then, i think his motivations were good (even if he was a bad guy) because it seemed like he was being presented as trying to take down the MIC via robot battle suit fight vs tony

Serf
May 5, 2011

Freaking Crumbum posted:

whiplash then, i think his motivations were good (even if he was a bad guy) because it seemed like he was being presented as trying to take down the MIC via robot battle suit fight vs tony

whiplash just wanted revenge for his dad, who got screwed over by tony stark's dad, and he used justin hammer's greed to get it

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Freaking Crumbum posted:

nah, whiplash's motivations were sympathetic (Howard Stark had his father deported for trying to profit off of something he was largely responsible for inventing and he died in a gulag), but neither of the villains in Iron Man 2 or 3 are particularly ideologically opposed to the MIC

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Mandarin in 3 was an interesting villain until they pulled the whole 'lol hes just an actor pretending' bullshit

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I think the MIC was the real bad guy in Iron Man 2, which made me like it. I dunno. I always felt like Iron Man 2 got a bum wrap, but it clearly wasn't very memorable anyway.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I think the MIC was the real bad guy in Iron Man 2, which made me like it. I dunno. I always felt like Iron Man 2 got a bum wrap, but it clearly wasn't very memorable anyway.

stark is the mic though. he gives the government an iron man suit. the Sam Rockwell character is only the bad guy because his killing machines don’t work as good

the only anti mic comic book movie I can think of is ang lee hulk, the evil company is called atheon lol

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

HerraS posted:

Mandarin in 3 was an interesting villain until they pulled the whole 'lol hes just an actor pretending' bullshit

I mean Ben Kinglsey is a great actor, but having the scary terrorist explicitly be a role designed to trade on every orientalist stereotype possible in order to cover up fatal drug side effects definitely seems like the more interesting story

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Also Ben Kingsley was perfect casting considering he's made an entire career portraying evil orientalist stereotypes

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Bro Dad posted:

Also Ben Kingsley was perfect casting considering he's made an entire career portraying evil orientalist stereotypes

I know Gandhi gets some hate on here but I think that's going a little far.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Serf posted:

https://twitter.com/ballmatthew/status/1187000201128615936?s=20

soon it will be racist to not like marvel movies

I love how the CEO tries to be woke and still starts out a sentence with a gendered insult.

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

The Joker discourse clamming up immediately was actually one of the few acts of self control I've ever seen in the media blogger class. People do really treat superhero movies like secular religion now though, like something that you should "stay in your lane" because of all the support-system fandom communities around it.

Grant Morrison was right about saying that superheroes were the new gods, but in the worst way possible.

Kevin Feige's statements about Marvel Cinematic Universe canon are treated in the same way as papal infallibility

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i read a really cool piece once arguing that iron man 2 was probably originally intended to be a riff off of the fisher king narrative and that tony was going to slowly realize over the course of the movie that his dad really did gently caress over whiplashs dad and that the catalyst for him learning this was going to be whiplash helping him find a cure for his weird suit related disease that whiplash could only possibly know about if he had access to the original research

here it is there is of course no actual evidence for this theory its just you can pretty easily see how this could have functioned in an original script but in the final version youve got all these characters running around that have gently caress all to do with each other and the main conflict is very lazily solved by nick fury popping up and giving tony a magic serum

meanwhile whiplash the alleged villain is presumed dead for basically the entire movie and stark and war machine are perplexed and surprised when he pops up out of nowhere for the final boss fight

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Serf posted:

https://twitter.com/ballmatthew/status/1187000201128615936?s=20

soon it will be racist to not like marvel movies
Ghostbusters 2016 was the defining movie of this decade because it was the first to weaponize this narrative

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the head of the most powerful studio in hollywood either sincerely believes that black panther is a comparable piece of filmmaking to the work of scorcese and coppola or just thinks that acting like it is will score him points in the field of public opinion

and people think im a curmudgeonly rear end in a top hat for thinking that film has gone to poo poo lately

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

ive mentioned this before but the only real meaningful difference between eisner and iger is that eisner was an unapologetic capitalist igers main innovation was realizing that if he pretended like he wasnt a capitalist he could get away with all sorts of crazy poo poo that eisner would never have touched with a fifty foot pole

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i've been thinking and the last jedi is actually a brilliant political commentary

it's about a resistance that starts off strong enough but through incredibly incompetent leadership and dumb side plots that go no where it ends up with a dozen survivors

the bad guys are foaming at the mouth idiot fascists that only succeed because of how weak their opposition is

i know the plot is stupid but so russiagate, it has the perfect nonsensical story for our moment in history

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/MaraWilson/status/1187143902601461760

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Some Guy TT posted:

the head of the most powerful studio in hollywood either sincerely believes that black panther is a comparable piece of filmmaking to the work of scorcese and coppola or just thinks that acting like it is will score him points in the field of public opinion

and people think im a curmudgeonly rear end in a top hat for thinking that film has gone to poo poo lately

nah it definitely has

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

remember when sorkin actually did make a zuckerberg movie and it just made him look a smart business genius who epically owned people but was incapable of getting laid its really insane to look back at that and think that this was actually the public perception of zuckerberg

its not like sorkin had any kind of excuse for this kind of blatant misinformation either zuckerberg had already appeared in public forums by then looking like a completely nervous sweaty nerd and practically the only thing anybody knew about his personal life was that hed married his college sweetheart

edit my mistake they weren't actually married yet but still I'm guessing at some point during researching the movie somebody must have noticed that zuckerberg had a serious long term relationship the entire time early Facebook was going on so why the hell would you make his narrative arc be that hes secretly sad on the inside from being an incel

Some Guy TT has issued a correction as of 08:30 on Oct 24, 2019

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/MCU_Direct/status/1186360262347182080

wasn't part of the point of the MCU the experiment and succeeding realization that you could just divest the actor from the role and audiences wouldn't care?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

gradenko_2000 posted:

wasn't part of the point of the MCU the experiment and succeeding realization that you could just divest the actor from the role and audiences wouldn't care?

They've only done that with one character so far

Serf
May 5, 2011

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

They've only done that with one character so far

two

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I forgot about war machine lmao

Anyway they changed both those actors relatively early on, after one movie each, I don't think you can reliably say that they figured out that you can divorce actor from role

Serf
May 5, 2011

best suggestion i've seen so far is to replace renner with terrence howard

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Has Hawkeye even ever done anything, just get rid of the character he's so uninteresting

Serf
May 5, 2011

most of hawkeye's impact comes from the strength of renner's performance. unfortunately, that means you also have to deal with renner, and is that worth it?

back when age of ultron came out there was like a day of backlash against the cast during their european press tour because renner said "gypsy" and then the whole cast just laughed when they were told that's a slur. but people just conveniently forgot that happened

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
ScarJo burned a lot of bridges also. She's probably a worse White Feminist than many vilified comedians.

I'm disappointed that Black Widow will un-die.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i think white feminism was a deliberate career choice on scarlett johannsens part because goodness knows shes a lousy enough actress theres no other explanation for why she keeps getting work

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Some Guy TT posted:

When enough margilized peoples will stan your work for a little bit of lip service, does the end result actually matter?

Percelus posted:

i've been thinking and the last jedi is actually a brilliant political commentary

it's about a resistance that starts off strong enough but through incredibly incompetent leadership and dumb side plots that go no where it ends up with a dozen survivors

the bad guys are foaming at the mouth idiot fascists that only succeed because of how weak their opposition is

i know the plot is stupid but so russiagate, it has the perfect nonsensical story for our moment in history

Evil Prevails, because good is dumb.

gradenko_2000 posted:

They've been doing that since the Bond & solo Batman franchises, I'd argue.

Some Guy TT posted:

i think white feminism was a deliberate career choice on scarlett johannsens part because goodness knows shes a lousy enough actress theres no other explanation for why she keeps getting work

She's pretty and she's not that bad of an actress. She was pretty good in Lost in Translation.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i think lost in translation was the last time anybody tried to give her actual direction because everything else ive seen her in shes indistinguishable from what a parody version of her character would look like

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

gradenko_2000 posted:

there;s been like 4 spider-mans and 7 batmans in my own lifetime so there's some truth to that. i think the biggest tell will be whether or not audiences will tolerate an extremely iconic character getting updated i.e. rdj is ironman and jackman is wolverine (in that they nailed not only the appearance of the character but also the mannerisms and voice and etc). whenever they decide to reboot either of those characters, that'll be the point where we find out if audiences are really attached to the character or the actor

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've honestly never heard anybody give a poo poo at all about Renner or Hawkeye, not a lot of incentive to keep him and a big goodwill win if they just scrap it.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

I've honestly never heard anybody give a poo poo at all about Renner or Hawkeye, not a lot of incentive to keep him and a big goodwill win if they just scrap it.

He sort of looks like Nathan Fillions puffy alcoholic brother, so I could see dorks taking up swords in his name.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

mandatory lesbian posted:

Has Hawkeye even ever done anything, just get rid of the character he's so uninteresting

I'm the movies? gently caress no

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/ballmatthew/status/1176921163861118976?s=19

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

mysterious frankie posted:

He sort of looks like Nathan Fillions puffy alcoholic brother, so I could see dorks taking up swords in his name.

What did he even do? Get drunk and threaten to kill himself? That seems kind of tame to ruin a career, even if it would get you banned from SA. I was expecting sex pest.

Then again, it's Disney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

weird that the company that owns half of hollywood makes a lot of money, it's like capitalism rewards the large and punishes the small ?