Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

turning ghost in the shell into robocop rather than making a movie in an actual ghost in the shell setting was a much bigger insult to japanese people than casting scarlett johannsen in my opinion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

skooma512 posted:

Did it have any points about internalized racism like how even POC default to white as the standard for beauty?

there's a bit where a poc sex worker has, from memory, artificial white lips/jaw/mouth. so, maybe?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Some Guy TT posted:

turning ghost in the shell into robocop rather than making a movie in an actual ghost in the shell setting was a much bigger insult to japanese people than casting scarlett johannsen in my opinion

RoboCop (and blade runner) were influences on the anime

New Port city isn't in Japan in any version I don't think, it's implied to be post ww3 Hong Kong or maybe Taipei

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
oh hey just remembered :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ll7gt0meuU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Blood Boils posted:

ehhh i dont really see how you can argue this except to the extent they were influences on basically any science fiction that came after them

for me at least the main distinction of ghost in the shell compared to other robot stuff is that it takes place in a setting where cyborgs are completely normalized which is basically the exact opposite of robocop

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

do not trust a parent that lets their 9 year old child read the gits manga.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Bro Dad posted:

John Cena is one of my favorite actors because he looks like a battletoad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxdckhQoYUs

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Blood Boils posted:

New Port city isn't in Japan in any version I don't think, it's implied to be post ww3 Hong Kong or maybe Taipei
New Port City is a fictional island just off the coast of Japan (I think in some versions it's an artificially created island? Or artificially expanded?) that is settled by a large amount of Chinese refugees from the last couple world wars (GitS timeline is absolutely wild, there have been 4 world wars), this is why in the movies that everyone is familiar with it looks a lot like Hong Kong.

Assepoester has issued a correction as of 03:45 on Jul 31, 2021

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012
I just saw Stillwater in theaters and thought it was really good.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Blood Boils posted:

wow, I never realized this. I don't remember any of the GitS I watched mentioning the name of the city and if it's located outside of Japan that's pretty wild

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

The United States posted:

New Port City is a fictional island just off the coast of Japan (I think in some versions it's an artificially created island? Or artificially expanded?) that is settled by a large amount of Chinese refugees from the last couple world wars (GitS timeline is absolutely wild, there have been 4 world wars), this is why in the movies that everyone is familiar with it looks a lot like Hong Kong.

The one that always stuck out to me is in the intro to the movie you see the terrifyingly low flight path of a plane over the skyscrapers thats identical to HK airport

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/HenMazzig/status/1421524571174359043

[Poop Culture] I am once again asking for you to LEAVE ANNE FRANK ALONE.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Spuckuk posted:

The one that always stuck out to me is in the intro to the movie you see the terrifyingly low flight path of a plane over the skyscrapers thats identical to HK airport

that's loving scary

Some Guy TT posted:

Argentina, you say? interesting.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

lol

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/PulpLibrarian/status/1421543144047456257

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Some Guy TT posted:

remember when the Black Hammer people were calling her a demon cracker lmao

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Lady Terminator is just boring

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

is she able to self terminate

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Good soup! posted:

Lady Terminator is just boring

Equalizer 2000 is pretty poo poo as well, can't speak to others.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Equalizer 2000, a Mad Max ripoff about how everyone is obsessed with this one single gun that's just too drat big and powerful and whoever has this gun is undefeatable and by extension rules the world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MckEmHq62nE

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
I've always wanted to be the kind of film nerd who can watch, like, space mutiny or a Bollywood action movie or something and be legitimately entertained by the bits of filmmaking gold that are hidden within these movies, but i need a certain level of production value to get into a flick. I admire the people who can tell you all of the good parts of the 17th Godzilla movie but I am not one of them

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

DoombatINC posted:

Equalizer 2000, a Mad Max ripoff about how everyone is obsessed with this one single gun that's just too drat big and powerful and whoever has this gun is undefeatable and by extension rules the world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MckEmHq62nE

this description makes me think that everyone who gets the gun inevitably gets shanked once they fall asleep but that sounds like it would be really funny so im guessing thats not what actually happens

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I keep meaning to watch more Cynthia Rothrock movies.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

this description makes me think that everyone who gets the gun inevitably gets shanked once they fall asleep but that sounds like it would be really funny so im guessing thats not what actually happens

It's a pretty basic tale, really. A good guy hates that there's a bad guy in the dirt-future, so he makes a gun. The gun makes the good guy win all the fights, so now the bad guy wants the gun. He gets it and starts doing even more bad guy stuff, so the good guy gets the gun back and wins more. He keeps winning until he's done, and then he takes the gun apart because nobody should have the gun. Interspliced with this gripping narrative there's six hundred stunt men that get exploded and enough gasoline fires to make the most frivolous coal roller raise an eyebrow.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Watched that Woodstock 99 doc on HBOMax, it's loving awful

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

KomradeX posted:

Watched that Woodstock 99 doc on HBOMax, it's loving awful

it is so confused. toxic masculinity is a problem but the girls showing their tits are only doing it because of girls gone wild? at woodstock? at the festival associated with nudity and hippies? and women are saying this, not just the sleazy promoter who blamed the victims? bizarre

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Aglet56 posted:

I've always wanted to be the kind of film nerd who can watch, like, space mutiny or a Bollywood action movie or something and be legitimately entertained by the bits of filmmaking gold that are hidden within these movies, but i need a certain level of production value to get into a flick. I admire the people who can tell you all of the good parts of the 17th Godzilla movie but I am not one of them

I think that's Godzilla vs Biollante, and that's not too bad. If you've ever wanted to see Godzilla beat up a giant flower multiple times, you'll be happy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Judakel posted:

it is so confused. toxic masculinity is a problem but the girls showing their tits are only doing it because of girls gone wild? at woodstock? at the festival associated with nudity and hippies? and women are saying this, not just the sleazy promoter who blamed the victims? bizarre

Over half of white women voted for Trump. Women can be misogynists and reinforce misogyny and associated attitudes.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

R. Mute posted:

suddenly reminded of three billboards outside of ebbing, missouri. the trump years were wild

I like the director's other movies but yea this one sucked. And it didn't even feel authentic to Missouri at all!

e: Godzilla vs Biollante is a better movie than Three Billboards.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Over half of white women voted for Trump. Women can be misogynists and reinforce misogyny and associated attitudes.
Biden was still the worse choice between the two.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

I like the director's other movies but yea this one sucked. And it didn't even feel authentic to Missouri at all!
seven psychopaths was like what if adaptation was bad and also a lot dumber. just like her is spike jonze regretting not getting to direct eternal sunshine and just making his own worse version of it

in bruges was fun, but growing up in the bruges area has meant that any conversation about the town with anglos is just a tedious repetition of quotes now

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

we need to stop women

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Judakel posted:

I loved them saying that in the documentary and proceeding to use thr footage of the topless women with 0 editing

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

a Loving Dog posted:

we need to stop women['s lack of pockets]

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Gee, who would have thought that a bunch of ripped off concert goers would burn the venue down?

If the documentary makers think Limp Bizkit was hard, I want to see their reaction to GG Allin or the Hardcore scene.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Judakel posted:

the funniest part about that was the talking head who was like "in the 90s these girls and young women were watching girls gone wild and thinking 'is that what i have to do to get male attention?'"

who were these girls watching girls gone wild? weren't they just (maybe) catching the late night commercials? lmao

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

yeah i mean they can be, that was never in question. iam just saying it was dumb.

edit: these were lib women who were very concerned about the assaults, too

Judakel has issued a correction as of 18:49 on Aug 1, 2021

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

where did the actual girls gone wild girls get it from then?? showing your tits had to start somewhere, we need to get to the bottom of this

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Judakel posted:

yeah i mean they can be, that was never in question. iam just saying it was dumb

lmao, nice edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Unoriginal Name posted:

lmao, nice edit

yeah that was unnecessary