Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

you either die a homer or live long enough to become a grimey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Peanut President posted:

you either die a homer or live long enough to become a grimey

Amazing how a reclusive libertarian wrote what is probably the greatest simpsons episode parodying hustle culture

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

On the other hand The Simpsons has been on for so long that the family hasn't even dealt with poor people problems in like 20 years.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Tighclops posted:

I've had multiple conversations with co workers about how the lifestyle depicted in Married with Children is now considered both desirable and unattainable

I started to just figure the house was just dirt cheap for its size because it had like unfixably terrible plumbing or something and would have normally been condemned. A lot of episodes included them basically having nothing at all to eat or talking about the nutritional value of the grime coming out of their faucet.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Same as The Simpsons. So much media revolving around people who had accomplished everything they're supposed to do, had stability and reasonable quality of life, moaning about how miserable they were because they had to do the bare minimum to maintain it.

it turns out that achieving the american dream sucks because you still have a boss

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

skooma512 posted:

Streaming services have some dreck on them for sure. Netflix has batshit ufo conspiracy stuff and I saw this one thing on Hulu about Simulation Theory, they barely even talk about the theory and just talk about The Matrix and how people got obsessed with that film.

Was that A Glitch in the Matrix? I thought it was a good one because it was more about the delusions people had of the theory itself and how they want to use it as an escape from their own lives.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Tighclops posted:

I've had multiple conversations with co workers about how the lifestyle depicted in Married with Children is now considered both desirable and unattainable

Bet if I could make a living selling shoes while my wife stays at home and fucks me exhausted I would where the gently caress do I sign the Bundy deal

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

being a shoe salesman was supposed the worst job in the world because sometimes fat women would try on shoes that were too small for them. but al didnt seem to have any kind of boss, hosed around doing nothing most of the time, and was allowed to be extremely rude and lovely to his customers. seems like a pretty sweet deal for a customer service job

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

babypolis posted:

being a shoe salesman was supposed the worst job in the world because sometimes fat women would try on shoes that were too small for them. but al didnt seem to have any kind of boss, hosed around doing nothing most of the time, and was allowed to be extremely rude and lovely to his customers. seems like a pretty sweet deal for a customer service job

he married the hot chick from high school who wanted nothing more than to bang his brains out at every opportunity, so much so that he was the prototype of "the body is willing, but the flesh is spongey and burned"

he scored four touchdowns in a single game

had a reliable vehicle that lasted so long the odo rolled over

he could afford two kids, a dog, and a suburban home on a single salary

he scored four touchdowns in a single game

he got to live out the service-industry fantasy of insulting any customer on a whim for any grievance, regardless of whether it's true or made up

seriously though, four touchdowns!

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Same as The Simpsons. So much media revolving around people who had accomplished everything they're supposed to do, had stability and reasonable quality of life, moaning about how miserable they were because they had to do the bare minimum to maintain it.

Daria, as fond of it as I am, has some borderline unwatchable episodes for this reason

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

On the other hand The Simpsons has been on for so long that the family hasn't even dealt with poor people problems in like 20 years.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Doctor Jeep posted:

leonard cohen in miami vice is the peak of weirdness

no, it's this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fWIRZLvTwE

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
MTV Entertainment Studios has inked South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone to a new deal that will run through 2027, including 14 new movies made exclusively for Paramount+, two every year, beginning this year. It will also see the flagship South Park series renewed through season 30 (2022 will see the show launch its 25th season). The deal is worth $900 million.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
I would probably kill myself if I was expected to release 2 movies each year for 7 years

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Knight posted:

I would probably kill myself if I was expected to release 2 movies each year for 7 years

dont worry they dont have to be good

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

it's basically an x-files episode, with guest star james brown, 5 years before the actual x-files started

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

I remember this getting mentioned on the HP Lovecraft Literary podcast and I guess the writer of this episode is a Fritz Leiber fan because he wrote stories of telepathic lizards on the moon and stuff

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Daria, as fond of it as I am, has some borderline unwatchable episodes for this reason

It's still like one of the only 90s shows with an awareness of class consciousness despite that and the whole premise being suburban teens who've had the entire concept surgically excised from their worldview. Mostly comes up in the finale but episodes like Daria and the black girl have an assignment on financial endeavours come to mind.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2Y5KVtU810

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Fried Watermelon posted:

Was that A Glitch in the Matrix? I thought it was a good one because it was more about the delusions people had of the theory itself and how they want to use it as an escape from their own lives.

I think so?

I guess I was waiting for them to delve into why people might believe this is true, even just acknowledging the fine tuning of the universe or something, it instead seemingly devolved into "Whoa the Matrix man this is crazy". The exploration of it being for delusional people was valuable, but I wish the doc was less all over the place with its thesis.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I remember this getting mentioned on the HP Lovecraft Literary podcast and I guess the writer of this episode is a Fritz Leiber fan because he wrote stories of telepathic lizards on the moon and stuff

It's popularly known as the "worst" episode of Miami Vice but really it's just not the usual formula. It's actually quite fun and weird but the general TV audience's tolerance for "weird" was pretty low in 1987.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's still like one of the only 90s shows with an awareness of class consciousness despite that and the whole premise being suburban teens who've had the entire concept surgically excised from their worldview. Mostly comes up in the finale but episodes like Daria and the black girl have an assignment on financial endeavours come to mind.

Yeah, it's definitely not every episode, and there are some stand out ones that display an awareness that a lot of shows of the period didn't. The one where Tom's super rich parents invite Daria's sortof rich parents to a fundraiser that they can't afford, for example, or Tom waltzing through the college application interview because his folks know the dean... poo poo, a lot of the stuff with Tom, honestly.

But then there's episodes like the one where Jake gets a job at an internet start up, which really capture a "had to be there" type of early 2000s weirdness

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Even if The Simpsons had ended when it was still good, it would have undoubtedly been rebooted by now anyway. So at least we still have the classic character design and they don't look like Teen Titans Go versions of themselves.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Even if The Simpsons had ended when it was still good, it would have undoubtedly been rebooted by now anyway. So at least we still have the classic character design and they don't look like Teen Titans Go versions of themselves.

imagining a rebooted simpsons with super-bendy cartoon network-esque post-adventure-time style animation

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

it's 2021 and paramount are planning 14 new south park specials

just what we need. early 2000's humour and libertarianism

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

how many south park specials have there even been so far is it even close to one a year

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
south park has always been beyond-dire garbage suitable for nothing but teaching hate speech to children

"im gay and i put gerbils in my rear end!!!! climate change isnt real!!!!" - "satire"

Mameluke has issued a correction as of 21:27 on Aug 5, 2021

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

They've recanted their climate change stance but yeah, the damage is done.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/Y_FXonHulu/status/1423327946048110598?s=19

I liked the comic enough as a kid, but I wonder if they're gonna stick close enough to the villains, which, if I remember correctly, are TERF Amazonians and Zionists.

I really want the Pop Star Yakuza boss to be a thing tho.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

https://twitter.com/justinboldaji/status/1422933426496180238?s=21

Don't need to imagine it, the art style changed a ton when it went hd.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Surely there must be good Vietnam War movies made in Vietnam by and for the victorious Vietnamese people.

I'm curious about those.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Matt and Trey seem miserable despite all their success.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Elderbean posted:

Matt and Trey seem miserable despite all their success.

They're libertarians, yes.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

adult bart and lisa depressedly going to NYU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Yeah, it's definitely not every episode, and there are some stand out ones that display an awareness that a lot of shows of the period didn't. The one where Tom's super rich parents invite Daria's sortof rich parents to a fundraiser that they can't afford, for example, or Tom waltzing through the college application interview because his folks know the dean... poo poo, a lot of the stuff with Tom, honestly.

But then there's episodes like the one where Jake gets a job at an internet start up, which really capture a "had to be there" type of early 2000s weirdness

You'd think so but the tech startup episode had me like 'Change the buzzwords and computers and this is today'.

Jake was apparently based on the endless rotation of clueless consultants at MTV.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
i did not expect the suicide squad to be anti-imperialist but that was nice

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Bored.
Hey HO, who wants to feel the weight of time?!

Battlefield Los Angeles is 10 years old.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Pd-uuDi28U

For some reason 10 year old movies really surprise people.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Judakel posted:

i did not expect the suicide squad to be anti-imperialist but that was nice

I mean the first movie was.

It'd be kinda hard to spin slave-soldiers as anything other than dystopic, though I wouldn't be surprised if some of the comics try

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Blood Boils posted:

I mean the first movie was.

It'd be kinda hard to spin slave-soldiers as anything other than dystopic, though I wouldn't be surprised if some of the comics try

being anti slave labor doesnt make it anti imperialist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The first movie was about the US seeking power and domination over its enemies by any means necessary in the form of dark magic and that coming back to bite it in the rear end. That plus Waller mercilessly executing her own agents because the government has to keep it's secrets paint a very post 9/11 post Afghanistan/Iraq sort of bleak and cynical look at American power but because it doesn't take place outside of America it can't pull off what the sequel does by, for example, having the Americans slaughter their erstwhile regime change allies due to bad information or Waller giving a speech about how yeah it was a dictatorship but he was their dictator.

Assepoester has issued a correction as of 09:17 on Aug 6, 2021