Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serf
May 5, 2011

decided to rewatch "the matrix" and its funny how the movie depicts this dark future where the machines are using humans as batteries, but given that we're on track to boil the planet so that oil executives can take home a few more dollars every quarter and the machines just want to keep us trapped in an eternal 1999 i say let the machines have a go. they can't do any worse than us

also the fight scenes are sick compared to the poo poo you see today. even in "the matrix reloaded" there's tons more care and effort put into the choreography than half the blockbuster action flicks we got now. the fights aren't full of messy cuts and actually flow really well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Serf posted:

decided to rewatch "the matrix" and its funny how the movie depicts this dark future where the machines are using humans as batteries, but given that we're on track to boil the planet so that oil executives can take home a few more dollars every quarter and the machines just want to keep us trapped in an eternal 1999 i say let the machines have a go. they can't do any worse than us

also the fight scenes are sick compared to the poo poo you see today. even in "the matrix reloaded" there's tons more care and effort put into the choreography than half the blockbuster action flicks we got now. the fights aren't full of messy cuts and actually flow really well

I've been rewatching the trilogy over and over and even at it's worst it's so much more coherent that stuff like Suicide Squad or Man of Steel (which happen to be on Netflix at the same time.)

It's just a pity almost all the action scenes in the Matrix sequels are also very pointless though.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Reloaded and Revolutions aren't that bad if you're only half paying attention, I find.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
todays the last day family guy airs on adult swim

https://twitter.com/AdultSwimNoCon/status/1439431453578772480
personally the show became mediocre garbage in 2010 when it went hd but it was most responsible for skyrocketing adult swims viewership so they could produce more great shows

end of an era

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Serf posted:

it's such a basic thing to "pull the camera out far enough so you can clearly see both combatants, and don't keep cutting every 2 seconds so you can watch the fight develop" but so many films fail at it that something like John Wick gets elevated simply for being able to pull it off

(not that there aren't a number of other reasons why John Wick is good)

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Matrix fight choreography was by Yuen Woo Ping, who directed Jackie Chan in Drunken Master (and a bunch of other great old kung fu), the circle is completed

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Serf posted:

the stuff smith says about 1999 being the peak of human civilization feels so very accurate these days

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/islamphobiacow/status/1439429483946078209?s=21

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's such a basic thing to "pull the camera out far enough so you can clearly see both combatants, and don't keep cutting every 2 seconds so you can watch the fight develop" but so many films fail at it that something like John Wick gets elevated simply for being able to pull it off

(not that there aren't a number of other reasons why John Wick is good)

Those two things are on purpose, because the trick is to hide that they don't give a poo poo about choreography

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Mystery Men has such a ridiculous cast.

like even ignoring the main capes, you've got Wes Studi, Tom Waits, Artie Lange, Pras...

also it's extremely funny

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
was there a thing in the late 90s where every movie used closeup third person angles of just faces?

there is so much closeup camera in this movie

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Those two things are on purpose, because the trick is to hide that they don't give a poo poo about choreography

yeah, it takes a lot more money and time to get fights to look as good as The Matrix’s

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I always liked the little experiment of removing the :krad: music from the lobby scene in the matrix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8J7vtr2qIM

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Pyrus Malus posted:

which one of the disaster movies is gonna end up closest to reality? I'm kinda looking at The Day After Tomorrow's giant ice hurricane but it could be anything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P1cuO3qEs4

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

indigi posted:

yeah, it takes a lot more money and time to get fights to look as good as The Matrix’s

That Disney Marvel has infinite money and can't devote some of it to just some decent fight coreography is a travesty. The only hand to hand fight I can even really remember was the elevator fight and that was just a less interesting version of the Daredevil hallway fight.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Zerilan posted:

That Disney Marvel has infinite money and can't devote some of it to just some decent fight coreography is a travesty. The only hand to hand fight I can even really remember was the elevator fight and that was just a less interesting version of the Daredevil hallway fight.

the time investment is probably the real stumbling block, they’d have to send these actors to fight school for 4+ months to even make choreography that doesn’t look like this

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

if you think the MCU movie fights are bad you see their tv shows

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Good soup! posted:

I always liked the little experiment of removing the :krad: music from the lobby scene in the matrix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8J7vtr2qIM

Without the music, the scene still has a musical quality with a sounds of guns, feet, swoosh sounds, and debris.
ding ding ding pause ding ding.

you could almost set a metronome to the rhythms of the sounds.

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 18:48 on Sep 19, 2021

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

this is amazing

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Zerilan posted:

still thinking about scarlett johannsen suing disney over residuals and wondering exactly how much of these budgets is just blown on the lead actors bonuses or even producer bonuses vastly inflating their budgetary size relative to what most people think that phrase means

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

still thinking about scarlett johannsen suing disney over residuals and wondering exactly how much of these budgets is just blown on the lead actors bonuses or even producer bonuses vastly inflating their budgetary size relative to what most people think that phrase means

something like a third of T3's budget was Arnold's salary

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

if she had a lot of points - enough to get pissed to sue about it - it probably means she wasn’t making that much up front

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3_PPdjD6mg

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/LEGO_Group/status/1437733080106782722

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

BoosterDuck posted:

todays the last day family guy airs on adult swim

https://twitter.com/AdultSwimNoCon/status/1439431453578772480
personally the show became mediocre garbage in 2010 when it went hd but it was most responsible for skyrocketing adult swims viewership so they could produce more great shows

end of an era

whats adult swim going to do without a massive pile of half hour shows like family guy, american dad, bobs burgers and king of the hill

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

who in 2021 cares about adult swim

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

gonna make your childhood dreams and aspirations look like a basic-rear end ikea display

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I've been rewatching the trilogy over and over and even at it's worst it's so much more coherent that stuff like Suicide Squad or Man of Steel (which happen to be on Netflix at the same time.)

It's just a pity almost all the action scenes in the Matrix sequels are also very pointless though.

It's not just superhero films, the entire industry got taken over by music video directors or something. Everything has quick cuts.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

Bootleg Trunks posted:

whats adult swim going to do without a massive pile of half hour shows like family guy, american dad, bobs burgers and king of the hill

re-run adventure time, Rick and morty, and stevens universe all day

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Bootleg Trunks posted:

doot doot doot

my name is cleveland brown

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

indigi posted:

who in 2021 cares about adult swim

The good stuff is all on hbo max anyway. Eric Andre, Metalocalypse, athf and uhhhh.....yeah that's about it

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Lib and let die posted:

The good stuff is all on hbo max anyway. Eric Andre, Metalocalypse, athf and uhhhh.....yeah that's about it

They are supposedly bringing back venture bros at some time in the future.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i hadn't thought of it in awhile but apparently adult swim announced a new metalocalypse special in may

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

*points at av*

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
dune is pretty good for a movie based on dune the average novel

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Tim and Eric still have adult swim shows. They are still great.

Final space was canceled which sucks. I don't know if they finished the story. It was a stupid buy enjoyable show.

Joe Pera is good.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

Tim and Eric still have adult swim shows. They are still great.

hmm……….no

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
looking at adult swims schedule its just american dad, bobs burgers, rick and morty, athf, robot chicken and joe pera talks with you

wow adult swim really is dead

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

indigi posted:

hmm……….no

Dear God I was starting to think I was the only one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/imLeor/status/1439348757682868225?s=20