Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serf
May 5, 2011

dollywood owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
Why the last man did what? what did he do?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

i say swears online posted:

they explained this in episode one, keep up
no they didn't, they just explained how jedi detect them

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Blood Boils posted:

I mean y the last man was a lame comic so they're just staying true to the source material

there’s no way they’re going to keep the bit where Israel takes advantage of the dudecide to appropriate land not just from Palestine but from neighboring Arab countries

or the ninja from Japan

gotta feeling they’ll keep the transphobic violence

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Judakel posted:

goddamn, that blew rear end. don't watch y the last man, it left me saying y did this show get greenlit

folx

hows the trans stuff i heard it had trans stuff

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Some Guy TT posted:

hows the trans stuff i heard it had trans stuff

i mean the central conceit is hosed up now that we're all more socially aware - it just sends a bad message. there's trans men and they kinda just go "i hate having to explain my existence" and horde testosterone because all systems are failing

but the libs vs. repubs stuff is by far the worst part and completely unexpected. the villain is an antivaxxer who loves guns

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

indigi posted:

smh if you've never been.

i spent an evening there once and have forever been haunted by a billboard for a restaurant I should have gone to. it claimed to feature a talking pig. what wonders did I miss out on.

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth

Judakel posted:

i mean the central conceit is hosed up now that we're all more socially aware - it just sends a bad message. there's trans men and they kinda just go "i hate having to explain my existence" and horde testosterone because all systems are failing

but the libs vs. repubs stuff is by far the worst part and completely unexpected. the villain is an antivaxxer who loves guns

There's also Amber Tamblyn doing a bad Meghan McCain impression

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Serf posted:

asking the white lady where her ancestors got the african artifacts in their museum. literally that's it lol. no mention of how the movie shows the wakandans allying with the cia or how killmonger's plan was to arm oppressed people across the globe

Can we all agree that “global race war + authoritarian ethno-state” should not be the end goal for a hero?

That’s just Boogaloo poo poo. When I’m not here bitching about spandex soap operas, my other obsession is keeping track of white nationalists, Christians dominionist, and other right wing domestic terrorists. Killmonger pretty much has the same vision of the future as those chuds, he just happens to be a beautiful black man with a cool 90s hip hop theme.

Granted, the basis for grievances are more than legitimate (even allowing for murdered-dad vengeance), but his desired outcome is not. You cannot meet oppression with oppression.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

Can we all agree that “global race war + authoritarian ethno-state” should not be the end goal for a hero?

That’s just Boogaloo poo poo. When I’m not here bitching about spandex soap operas, my other obsession is keeping track of white nationalists, Christians dominionist, and other right wing domestic terrorists. Killmonger pretty much has the same vision of the future as those chuds, he just happens to be a beautiful black man with a cool 90s hip hop theme.

Granted, the basis for grievances are more than legitimate (even allowing for murdered-dad vengeance), but his desired outcome is not. You cannot meet oppression with oppression.

nah, kill the oppressors. the movie is basically "the spook who sat by the door" without any guts

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Snake Dance posted:

There's also Amber Tamblyn doing a bad Meghan McCain impression

when you attract that kinda lib, you gotta rethink how you wrote the factions, i would imagine

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Atrocious Joe posted:

I thought these posts only existed on twitter lol

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
i mean he is right the black nationalist is not a hero either, and that's pretty much what killmonger is in the movie

Serf
May 5, 2011

black internationalist

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Serf posted:

nah, kill the oppressors. the movie is basically "the spook who sat by the door" without any guts

Killmonger is a villain, a straight-up monster who would never really work toward his stated goals. Yes, the injustice is real and his motives are sympathetic, but that doesn't make him a hero no matter how much some fans want to pretend he already is.

He is a self-serving totalitarian who like many totalitarians of the past has an actual honest to god imperialist threat opposite to him. Doesn't make him any less of a self-serving totalitarian though.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

idk why exactly but I loving despise “folx”

it’s like the ultimate meaningless woke gesture. we need to decolonize ks

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Atrocious Joe posted:

When I’m not here bitching about spandex soap operas, my other obsession is keeping track of white nationalists, Christians dominionist, and other right wing domestic terrorists. Killmonger pretty much has the same vision of the future as those chuds, he just happens to be a beautiful black man with a cool 90s hip hop theme.

he seemed fine with other non-whites so it’s not really a 1:1

Serf
May 5, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

Killmonger is a villain, a straight-up monster who would never really work toward his stated goals. Yes, the injustice is real and his motives are sympathetic, but that doesn't make him a hero no matter how much some fans want to pretend he already is.

He is a self-serving totalitarian who like many totalitarians of the past has an actual honest to god imperialist threat opposite to him. Doesn't make him any less of a self-serving totalitarian though.

is there supposed to be a point to this?

Serf
May 5, 2011

indigi posted:

idk why exactly but I loving despise “folx”

it’s like the ultimate meaningless woke gesture. we need to decolonize ks

folks is already the perfect gender-neutral word. it doesn't need fixing imo

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

slicing up eyeballs posted:

I thought these posts only existed on twitter lol

the posts are coming from inside the forums

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Serf posted:

black internationalist

i think he just wants one nation and to kill at least the whites, which is genocide

Serf
May 5, 2011

Judakel posted:

i think he just wants one nation

tbf, so do i. but you gotta start somewhere

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Judakel posted:

i think he just wants one nation

I haven’t seen it since it came out but I don’t remember him being like “and then we’ll conquer India and China and Brazil and Micronesia” he seemed to just want to destroy America/Commonwealth countries/NATO

like it’s not explicitly stated in the movie but if I had to guess I bet he’d probably leave Ireland alone

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

indigi posted:

I haven’t seen it since it came out but I don’t remember him being like “and then we’ll conquer India and China and Brazil and Micronesia” he seemed to just want to destroy America/Commonwealth countries/NATO

like it’s not explicitly stated in the movie but if I had to guess I bet he’d probably leave Ireland alone

he wants to kill everywhere where black people need to be liberated

Serf
May 5, 2011

at no point is killmonger like "time to genocide the whites" lmao. the movie doesn't have 1/100th the guts to say something like that. the white genocide people would still be ranting about it if it had. the movie allows killmonger to have radical politics that are kept vague enough to not seriously unsettle the majority-white audience

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Serf posted:

at no point is killmonger like "time to genocide the whites" lmao. the movie doesn't have 1/100th the guts to say something like that. the white genocide people would still be ranting about it if it had. the movie allows killmonger to have radical politics that are kept vague enough to not seriously unsettle the majority-white audience

there is literally no other point to the weaponry. it is the necessary end point of any conflict of the sort with those weapons

Serf
May 5, 2011

Judakel posted:

there is literally no other point to the weaponry. it is the necessary end point of any conflict of the sort with those weapons

i mean that's interesting but the south africans didn't end up genociding the whites in their country despite having every reason to, so i see no reason why we have to assume the endpoint of a revolution is genocide. this is a weird stance to take

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Judakel posted:

For all we know Killmonger would (and very well should!) have just enslaved the whites lmao

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Judakel posted:

he wants to kill everywhere where black people need to be liberated

so Ireland is definitely fine

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Serf posted:

i mean that's interesting but the south africans didn't end up genociding the whites in their country despite having every reason to, so i see no reason why we have to assume the endpoint of a revolution is genocide. this is a weird stance to take

south africa didn't have nukes. any attempt to unseat the us government that is even remotely close to being successful means self-nuking. hell, attempts to take land and form your own nation will yield the same result.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

wait they had nukes? I thought it was just super AKs and fighter…. helicopters? those things they were flying weren’t jets, were they?

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Plenty of people found things to be squeamish about in killmongers actions in disneys marvels black panther, it's a new one to me for people to denounce things he didn't do

Serf
May 5, 2011

indigi posted:

so Ireland is definitely fine

pretty sure his big global map shows weapons going to ireland as well as china lol

Judakel posted:

south africa didn't have nukes. any attempt to unseat the us government that is even remotely close to being successful means self-nuking. hell, attempts to take land and form your own nation will yield the same result.

again, not sure what the point is here

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

indigi posted:

wait they had nukes? I thought it was just super AKs and fighter…. helicopters? those things they were flying weren’t jets, were they?

the us has nukes. wakanda probably doesnt need them

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Serf posted:

again, not sure what the point is here

that the only way for such a liberatory movement to succeed would be to kill any potential conspirators

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
it is easy to dunk on the thesis that the path to black liberation are community centers (which will fail), but killmonger's plan was no better

Serf
May 5, 2011

Judakel posted:

that the only way for such a liberatory movement to succeed would be to kill any potential conspirators

this seems like you're making a lot of weird logical leaps

but you're also overanalyzing the politics of a superhero movie produced by the disney corporation. probably best to not think too hard about it

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Judakel posted:

south africa had nukes, though. unless you mean that they were dismantled before the end of apartheid, in which case never mind

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Serf posted:

this seems like you're making a lot of weird logical leaps

but you're also overanalyzing the politics of a superhero movie produced by the disney corporation. probably best to not think too hard about it

i don't see how they are leaps, you can't trust whitey in such a scenario and you have to eliminate anyone who could launch a nuke quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

seriously watch "the spook who sat by the door" for a movie with some actual substance that talks about black liberation in the imperial core