Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Farm Frenzy posted:

piss looks better than vomit

I dunno, vomit can be interesting depending on what you've eaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

no one seems to rip on the ot for having special effects that look like garbage today but inevitably pushed the field forward

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Serf posted:

no one seems to rip on the ot for having special effects that look like garbage today but inevitably pushed the field forward

if everyone supposedly mistakenly believes that all the practical effects in the prequels are bad CGI that to me indicates that the issue is the direction and not the actual quality of effects!!!

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

you don't see people roast the effects in the LOTR movies outside of that part where legolas skateboards off a mammoth. every prequel action sequence is mammoth skateboarding

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hodgepodge posted:

The death of the author does not allow one to ignore or totally contradict the text. It deals with the imagined or even stated "intent" of the author, especially where it contradicts or ignores the text itself.

A good example is Rowling declaring that Dumbledore is gay. Her doing so does not change the fact that there is no reason to believe this based on the actual books.

In contrast, the Wachowskis may not have realized they were struggling with gender issues when they directed the Matrix, but understanding that they are trans allows one to understand the entire film differently in ways which emerge from the text of the film itself. For example, Trinity is obviously to some degree Neo's feminine self. Thats not really unusual in symbolism terms, though- everyone has both masculine and feminine aspects to their identity, those being social constructs, and engaging with this is part of any number of mystical approaches to self-development. But the scene where Neo meets Trinity for example, reads totally differently from a perspective which acknowledges the possibility of a transgendered selfhood. Neo meets his feminine self and immediately confesses that he thought she was a guy, and she replies "most guys do." Knowing that the directors would come to understand themselves as transgendered, that comes very close to an outright statement of something they may not have even realized about themselves at the time. Also it really helps temper the libertarian aspects of the film, which really helps with rewatching it at this point.

Neo throwing Smith in front of a train is explicitly based on Lana attempting suicide that way because she was so hosed up over gender issues

Also Switch was originally supposed to be explicitly trans, played by a man outside the matrix and a woman inside, and when the studio balked they settled for making them genderfuck and never referring to them by any pronouns

It is absolutely consciously a film about working through being trans

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I don't think people would give much of a poo poo about special effects if there was much else to the prequels in terms of entertainment value.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Farm Frenzy posted:

if everyone supposedly mistakenly believes that all the practical effects in the prequels are bad CGI that to me indicates that the issue is the direction and not the actual quality of effects!!!

my interpretation is that a bunch of adults who wanted wish fulfillment didn't get it and have never let go of that grudge

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Serf posted:

my interpretation is that a bunch of adults who wanted wish fulfillment didn't get it and have never let go of that grudge

i got plenty of wish fulfilment because i was a child. the movies are still bad though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The emotional climax of the matrix is neo beating the poo poo out of the system personified for, generally, trying to force him back into the box assigned to him, and specifically for repeatedly deadnaming him

It is an incredibly trans movie

Serf
May 5, 2011

Farm Frenzy posted:

i got plenty of wish fulfilment because i was a child. the movies are still bad though.

i was a kid when i saw them too. and i've only come to like them more as i've grown up because they're quite good. even moreso now when you have the dreck of the disney sequels to compare them to

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Farm Frenzy posted:

The bad of the movies has very little to do with the effects anyway. A good idea for a movie doesn't really make for a good movie, there's a lot of stuff other than concept that makes a movie good, at least imo.

The disney star wars movies are definitely lower-concept than the prequels but they execute way better than lucas did for those movies which means i'm a lot more comfortable watching them.

Panzeh has issued a correction as of 12:24 on Nov 20, 2019

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Farm Frenzy posted:

you don't see people roast the effects in the LOTR movies outside of that part where legolas skateboards off a mammoth. every prequel action sequence is mammoth skateboarding

i dont see anybody discuss the lotr movies at all anymore which i think is probably the most damning criticism anyone can make of a franchise that was once considered hot poo poo by nerds and critics alike

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Some Guy TT posted:

i dont see anybody discuss the lotr movies at all anymore which i think is probably the most damning criticism anyone can make of a franchise that was once considered hot poo poo by nerds and critics alike

I mean it's been how long? And it's not exactly deep material, or new. I figure people have mostly had all the discussion they're going to get out of it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ikanreed posted:

Which 1980s science fiction or fantasy do you like, then? Back to the future?

Ghost in the shell

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I don't actually know when gits was released, tbh I don't really check into stuff like that before watching stuff

It feels like an 80s cyberpunk thing tho so I'm gonna say it is even if it was released in the 90s

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Freejack is my fav. 80s sci-fi

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Can't wait to be on this still dead forum in a decade arguing with people saying the original disney movies were way better than the deck they're putting out now

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Star Wars ain't got nothin on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv8DYe9JpZw

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

lmao https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/joker-sequel-works-as-todd-phillips-eyes-more-dc-origin-movies-1256255

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 247 days!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Neo throwing Smith in front of a train is explicitly based on Lana attempting suicide that way because she was so hosed up over gender issues

Also Switch was originally supposed to be explicitly trans, played by a man outside the matrix and a woman inside, and when the studio balked they settled for making them genderfuck and never referring to them by any pronouns

It is absolutely consciously a film about working through being trans

It's rather pathetic that the studio would go that far to remove the trans aspect of a suppporting character who is trans in a fashion which is abstracted somewhat through the film's central metaphor. But not surprising that the end result facilitated a safer, more generic misreading of the film.

It's also worth noting that The Invisibles is widely cited as an influence on the film (not sure how accurate that is since I also recall something about Morrison being a shithead about it). I'm sure you're familiar with it, but for those who aren't, one of the main cast is explicitly trans.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 247 days!
Also last time it came up in CineD, I seem to recall that people dissing the PT for "bad CG" totally failed to accurately distinguish between the actual CG and the matte paintings used every time.

"Bad CG" is a pretty common staple of attempts to justify a more nebulous opinion with something that sounds concrete and technical in general. And until recently, it was way easier as a whole to state a positive opinion of Hitler than it was to do the same for the PT in nerd culture (I really wish this were hyperbole and not because of the PT end of it), so a lot of people have vague complaints about the PT that boil down to "movie bad."

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 16:21 on Nov 20, 2019

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Hodgepodge posted:

It's rather pathetic that the studio would go that far to remove the trans aspect of a suppporting character who is trans in a fashion which is abstracted somewhat through the film's central metaphor. But not surprising that the end result facilitated a safer, more generic misreading of the film.

It's also worth noting that The Invisibles is widely cited as an influence on the film (not sure how accurate that is since I also recall something about Morrison being a shithead about it). I'm sure you're familiar with it, but for those who aren't, one of the main cast is explicitly trans.

The original website listed a bunch of inspirations, including Mage: the Ascension.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/BronzeHammer/status/1194265298171502592?s=20

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

mandatory lesbian posted:

I don't actually know when gits was released, tbh I don't really check into stuff like that before watching stuff

It feels like an 80s cyberpunk thing tho so I'm gonna say it is even if it was released in the 90s

Yeah, it was 95, but Akira came out in the 80s and holy poo poo does it still look absolutely amazing considering the animation of the time.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I will side with the "OT is deep cover Starship Troopers" theory if it makes people like that mad

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I finally got around to watching Solo yesterday and it sure wasn't great but I actually liked it. It actually felt like a genuine Star Wars adventure, and the only real problems it has are the pacing and the insufferable fan service. Like yeah, I get it, that's Han's blaster from the Star Wars movies. Ok I get that's the Millenium Falcon. We all get it.

The war scenes were especially well done and really show the kind of broad range of genre you could pull off in the Star Wars setting, but instead Kathleen Kennedy is complaining about a "lack of source material."

https://twitter.com/hiattb/status/1196827544734953472?s=20

Star Wars has a more fleshed out universe than any other setting they could've possibly bought into, and they're hamstringing themselves by following a dumb corporate philosophy instead of letting creators indulge in the action/adventure schlock.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hodgepodge posted:

It was 1999 and we as a society had not internalized the existence of trans people enough not to lose a shitload of people when Switch plugged in, very little ended up being lost and the movie still whips

Serf
May 5, 2011

you could really tell that disney was making GBS threads the bed with tlj (i don't count tfa because ofc they would play it safe on the first try). you can clearly see the struggle between the movie johnson was trying to make and the one that disney wanted him to make. the final product is this tortured wreck of a film that contains elements of something interesting buried in corporate fear of anything different

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I finally got around to watching Solo yesterday and it sure wasn't great but I actually liked it. It actually felt like a genuine Star Wars adventure, and the only real problems it has are the pacing and the insufferable fan service. Like yeah, I get it, that's Han's blaster from the Star Wars movies. Ok I get that's the Millenium Falcon. We all get it.

The war scenes were especially well done and really show the kind of broad range of genre you could pull off in the Star Wars setting, but instead Kathleen Kennedy is complaining about a "lack of source material."

https://twitter.com/hiattb/status/1196827544734953472?s=20

Star Wars has a more fleshed out universe than any other setting they could've possibly bought into, and they're hamstringing themselves by following a dumb corporate philosophy instead of letting creators indulge in the action/adventure schlock.

Solo would've been a lot better as a not-star wars movie, tbqh, that's kinda the thing to me when people say you gotta be rid of the space wizard stuff in star wars.

Most of the movie's problems directly come down to being about a fairly well-established character with a well-established story, instead of letting the story beats flow more naturally.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
i want an american pie style movie about jar jar trying to get pussy

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey if you have a negative opinion of Star Wars can you please keep it to yourself, chuds are watching

Serf
May 5, 2011

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Hey if you have a negative opinion of Star Wars can you please keep it to yourself, chuds are watching

same for black panther. only racists have a problem with the cia after all

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 247 days!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

It was 1999 and we as a society had not internalized the existence of trans people enough not to lose a shitload of people when Switch plugged in, very little ended up being lost and the movie still whips

Oh for sure. But understanding the trans apect of it elevates it a lot for me, taking it from "yeah it has some philosophical depth behind the trippiness" to "oh wow this is a really personal piece of filmmaking on top of being one of the best action movies ever."

I probably underestimate how reactionary people are about stuff within fantasy. Sometimes I have to remind myself that there was a movie starring loving Willem Dafoe as Christ and American churches boycotted it over a dream sequence.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
i want a star wars movie where they kill all the straight white men

order 69

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hodgepodge posted:

Oh for sure. But understanding the trans apect of it elevates it a lot for me, taking it from "yeah it has some philosophical depth behind the trippiness" to "oh wow this is a really personal piece of filmmaking on top of being one of the best action movies ever."

I probably underestimate how reactionary people are about stuff within fantasy. Sometimes I have to remind myself that there was a movie starring loving Willem Dafoe as Christ and American churches boycotted it over a dream sequence.

yeah but that trans aspect was something that literally nobody picked up on because we didnt have either the cultural context of what being trans is or the specific personal context of both of the wachowskis coming out and i think you have to remember that when looking at that movie and how people talked about it until the last few years when people reevaluated it and realized oh yeah no this movie is wildly gay and trans, everyone's wearing fetish gear and you murder the system for deadnaming you

like yes obviously its a thing to talk about when talking about the matrix but when you talk about the original release and the process of making it you cant separate it from that moment in time

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Serf posted:

you could really tell that disney was making GBS threads the bed with tlj (i don't count tfa because ofc they would play it safe on the first try). you can clearly see the struggle between the movie johnson was trying to make and the one that disney wanted him to make. the final product is this tortured wreck of a film that contains elements of something interesting buried in corporate fear of anything different

which one of them wanted leia to magic herself back into her space ship because, out of all the missteps, that's the one that's always stuck in my head. even as someone that has memorized an embarrassing amount of star wars trivia and is willing to suspend a lot of disbelief in service of enjoying the movie, that whole sequence was a solid "what the gently caress " moment for me

also poe's redemption for all his dumbassery should have been that he was the person to suicide strike the bad guys. i seriously do not care about him or his plotline at all and the fact that he gets to keep having second and third chances is really hardcore-to-the-mega dumb

edit: let kilo wren be the cis white dude anti-hero and just cut poe entirely from the series. poe feels like he only exists so that disney can pre-empt chuds bitching about the main characters being a woman and a black guy, which makes him completely superfluous to anything actually happening

Freaking Crumbum has issued a correction as of 18:54 on Nov 20, 2019

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All the chuds out there posting about how star wars is gonna fail from being SJW, so now I'm laughing and clapping as the money numbers roll in. Eat THAT chuds, looks like it wasn't so unsuccessful at all muuhahaha! owned much? I'm buying porgs bitch, you mad?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Freaking Crumbum posted:

which one of them wanted leia to magic herself back into her space ship because, out of all the missteps, that's the one that's always stuck in my head. even as someone that has memorized an embarrassing amount of star wars trivia and is willing to suspend a lot of disbelief in service of enjoying the movie, that whole sequence was a solid "what the gently caress " moment for me

also poe's redemption for all his dumbassery should have been that he was the person to suicide strike the bad guys. i seriously do not care about him or his plotline at all and the fact that he gets to keep having second and third chances is really hardcore-to-the-mega dumb

he literally wasnt supposed to make it out of his one scene in tfa iirc, he was supposed to die but they liked oscar isaac so much that they rewrote him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Probably Magic posted:

Yeah, it was 95, but Akira came out in the 80s and holy poo poo does it still look absolutely amazing considering the animation of the time.

I loving love Akira, it's def a top 5 movie for me. The animation is stunning. I do feel the story is good but a little rough, especially the ending which I always feel a bit rushed by. Not a big problem, a lot of anime feels that way. Serial experiments lain is my fav and it's entire plot basically happens in like, the final 4 episodes of 13