Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

What the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Star Wars, starring Dixie Flatline

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There was a whole thing with a character who has a show now that he wears a jetpack

It's like people in the real world being surprised when soldiers are riding in helicopters

Viet Cong: THEY CAN FLY NOW!?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Viet Cong: THEY CAN FLY NOW!?

lmfao

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Expanse season 4 is good except for all the "Space Hillary did what had to be done" stuff

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Bro Dad posted:

Expanse season 4 is good and except for all the "Space Hillary did what had to be done" stuff

She still ate poo poo though and was wrong. The worst thing about the season is that none of the plotlines intersect with each other in a meaningful way and it ends on a big cliffhanger. It's nice that they're confident in producing another season but there needs to be some kind of genuine emotional climax. Miller's goop ghost really wanted to die, so his death doesn't really have the tragic resonance the other seasons had. Plus there's always a chance he could come back anyway so it doesn't really feel final. It seemed like characters are being retired or killed because the actors are old and they want to move on.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

etalian posted:

It's amazing how bad the Mandalorian is despite all the hype about the production and the acting!

no i like it

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Three and a bit episodes into the new Expanse season and I am officially a bit bored of protomolecule poo poo but am there for space politics and space East India Company and I would honestly watch a show that was just Ashford and Drummer discussing the space issues of the space day.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Has there ever been a work of fiction that was about a existential alien/supernatural threat looming over political conflicts where the threat was more interesting than the politics

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

A Fire Upon The Deep, maybe.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

docbeard posted:

Three and a bit episodes into the new Expanse season and I am officially a bit bored of protomolecule poo poo but am there for space politics and space East India Company and I would honestly watch a show that was just Ashford and Drummer discussing the space issues of the space day.

The first half of the season is way better because it's got a very frontier western vibe going on, and then it reaches a crisis point and it's all protomolecule stuff. Protomolecule stuff is fine but it doesn't work on its own when it's a complete sideshow to solar politics. Ashford & Drummer and the Bobby stuff was all great, and it sucks that it just ends up being a cliffhanger.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

StashAugustine posted:

Has there ever been a work of fiction that was about a existential alien/supernatural threat looming over political conflicts where the threat was more interesting than the politics

The one in my head I never wrote.

Because the existential alien threat is also political, turns out.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

StashAugustine posted:

the three-body problem series maybe?

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

I have't watched the new season of the expanse yet but I know the book it is based on is considered one of the weaker ones in the series

the next 2 books own however and largely focus on the political situation in sol

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

oscarthewilde posted:

the three-body problem series maybe?

In the third book maybe? Yeah it's a tough question.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i can 100% believe brands would love to be able to explicitly advertise in all of the various evangelist events and concerts and etc. and it's only contemporary public sentiment that's giving them any hesitation at all

lol that's a little naive, the only reason capital isn't all in selling to evangelists is because they're a dying bloc and a large chunk of evangelicals are on fixed incomes. not a lot of money there beyond extremely short term blips and scamming them through reverse mortgages or part d plans. millenials didn't hate gays as much as boomers, and religion went all in hating gays and non-whites so there wasn't much pickup, on top of the reluctance for americans to become religious in the first place

the future is non-whites and white women for advertisers, just look at twitter every time any time there's a tweetstorm from people in sunglasses avatars. they aren't much of a growth industry if white men are too busy committing suicide/being addicted to heroin/drinking themselves to death

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

thanks to the mod who listened to my feedback regarding the thread title

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

thanks to the mod who listened to my feedback regarding the thread title

:tipshat:

working hard! thank you!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Only two episodes into the new season of expanse and its pretty good so far

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

and man it was p obvious before but mars is fash as gently caress

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

and man it was p obvious before but mars is fash as gently caress

eco flash ultimately, so they’re sort of cool? sort of like phil collins in the peter gabriel era of genesis

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

What happens to Mars is the most interesting bit this season. From like, a C-SPAM perspective anyway.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

She still ate poo poo though and was wrong. The worst thing about the season is that none of the plotlines intersect with each other in a meaningful way and it ends on a big cliffhanger. It's nice that they're confident in producing another season but there needs to be some kind of genuine emotional climax. Miller's goop ghost really wanted to die, so his death doesn't really have the tragic resonance the other seasons had. Plus there's always a chance he could come back anyway so it doesn't really feel final. It seemed like characters are being retired or killed because the actors are old and they want to move on.

i liked ashford but that was definitely an actor wanting out way to die

season was pretty good, glad theyre done with the protomolecule forever... hopefully? burning the final bit in the ship seemed like a definite end. cliffhanger ending sucked, wanted to see billions be obliterated

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

I haven't read the books but apparently it's all space geopolitics from this point out

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy gently caress they got the guy who played Chappelle in 24 to be a minor villain in Expanse S4. loving rad, he's amazing at playing a slimy fuckin' weasel.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

internally i cant help but find it hilarious that literally everything mysterio says about tony stark being a capricious rear end in a top hat who rips people off for no reason and arbitrarily decides to give a godlike superweapon to a gullible teenager is completely on point and true so the movie immediately makes him double down on doing pointlessly evil deeds just to keep us from thinking that maybe he has a point

Since Iron Man 2, Marvel has put all the legit criticisms of their heroes into the mouths of cartoonish villains in order to preemptively disarm criticism

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Yeah they really hosed up with Killmonger, who was cool.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Atrocious Joe posted:

Since Iron Man 2, Marvel has put all the legit criticisms of their heroes into the mouths of cartoonish villains in order to preemptively disarm criticism

I would go so far as to say disarming and coopting those criticisms of America and capital are the primary function of those movies.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Iron Man being the breakout Marvel superhero should have been a warning sign, since military-industrial complex apologia is literally what he was made for.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The pre-Disney films, Iron Man and Incredible Hulk, did have enemies who were just manifestations of the military industrial complex. Iron Man had "greedier Tony Stark" and Hulk had "Hulk but an operator." It wasn't really progressive, but the villains were definitely more reactionary versions of the heroes. This was in keeping with the "Ultimate" comics line that Marvel had created a few years earlier, seemingly with the intention of using for film material.

Disney really seems to have started the trend of making many of the villains radicals who had gone too far.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I watched Aliens for the first time in over a decade a few nights ago and it was really striking how differently the military was portrayed back in the 1980s Sci Fi compared to now. The leadership is inexperienced and totally outmatched by the reality of the situation, even the sympathetic military characters are arrogant and clueless, they lose all their overwhelming firepower due to clumsy mistakes and their supposedly elite training is mostly useless.

You can really feel the shadow of Vietnam hanging over Aliens. More recent films tend to portray military actions with an aura of grim efficiency and competence even in situations where the military's hardware proves inadequate. When American soldiers are confronted by a monster or alien that is beyond their ability to defeat they tend to fight bravely and heroically. You don't typically get scenes like the first combat moment in Aliens where American soldiers are shown running around in terror with no coordination whatsoever, shouting in panic as they are picked off one by one.

I'm curious if anyone can think of counter examples here because I don't watch as many of these films as I used to, but I'm struggling to think of any big budget examples from the last decade or more where the American military was presented as incompetent and poorly lead. High ranking generals or civilian leaders might be presented in a negative light but it seems like showing regular fighting men and women in anything except a glowingly positive light has become something of a taboo.

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't think they exist at all post 9/11. The last one I can think of is Small Soldiers lmao

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Jarhead is probably the closest? It got advertised as an action movie even though it wasn't.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Atrocious Joe posted:

Jarhead is probably the closest? It got advertised as an action movie even though it wasn't.

Yeah, Jarhead shows the military experience much closer to what it actually is, wait around in the desert a bunch, get bored, go home, and find out their girlfriends left them for Jody.

The scene where they all gather around to watch a VHS of The Deer Hunter they got sent but it's actually a sex tape of one of the dude's wives loving Jody is :discourse:

WampaLord has issued a correction as of 17:49 on Dec 15, 2019

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
generation kill is close, but, it was somewhat non-fictional and not a big budget movie

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's probably symptomatic of a larger problem that theres been virtually zero media involving Afghanistan the last 18 years

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

generation kill is close, but, it was somewhat non-fictional and not a big budget movie

I like how the Marine Corps refused to.have anything to do with it until they realized it was really popular with the troops

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Bro Dad posted:

I haven't read the books but apparently it's all space geopolitics from this point out

Not entirely, the 5th and 6th books are very much that, but the books after that have plot very much related to the Protomolecule and the tech developed from it.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Me and the boys when we capture a rape yacht

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dscebvM3XPc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

MizPiz posted:

Me and the boys when we capture a rape yacht

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dscebvM3XPc