Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I got suckered into buying a month of Starz. Should I watch Black Sails?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Skellybones posted:

A real WWI story needs to be entirely about pointless death and cruelty inflicted on your own allies. So have the colonel order a squad to relay the vital message since the wires got broken, but then some rear echelon psycho arrests them and accuses them of deserting. The protagonists are about to be firing squadded, but get saved by German infiltrators who snipe the officer etc. Just a series of random and pointless events, and when they eventually get to the destination the general reveals that the 1500 casualties were part of the plan, since there is no other way to exhaust German munitions otherwise.

They could steal a train at some point, that would be cool.

While you're at it make my Wonder Woman adaptation where she fights for the Ottomans, because she only considers autocratic monarchies valid and the British tried to colonize her island.

Just lack of communication is a universal thing in all wars and especially WWI. Have a unit that advanced a little too far and a little too fast for the timetable. Have an officer realize they're in an area where they're not supposed to be and they're about to be subjected to the mother of all artillery barrages and their pigeons are dead and their phone lines are cut (because it's WWI). So they send back a runner. He goes through all sorts of convoluted war adventures but gets back to HQ and gets his message in just a little too late. The end of the movie is our hero on a faraway hill watching his mates get blown up by high explosive in a horrible mistake. He's helpless, the system is helpless, his friends are helpless, and no one is really at fault. Also he's perversely happy because by chance he's somehow alive when they're all dead. War is just hosed up like that.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

Has anyone made a properly realistic WW1 movie, with all the hopelessness and and horror of prolonged trench warfare faithfully portrayed? Would people watch it, or would it be too much?

Journey's End is pretty hosed up.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Vice was a fun movie and people who don't like it just hate fun.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

If a creator was really hosed up on drugs when they made something do you need to be on the same drugs to truly understand their creation? Maybe at least once?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Picard gets right to the heart of what I say about Data all the time: Data is loving terrifying. He can kill anybody in a second with his bare hands and he can take over the ship and does all the time. If I'm just a regular dude who works on the Enterprise D in like the loving whale tank area the second there's a Data goes crazy episode I'm getting my whole family off that thing.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

mysterious frankie posted:

Remember the time that roboticist dipshit wanted to take Data apart to figure him out and make a disposable workforce out of hyper quick and strong megagenius thinking robots whose two main hobbies would be, assuming they’re like Data, writing poetry about their cats and shoving whatever brain chips they come across into their noggins? I’m sure enslaving a couple million of them would have gone great.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm hung over and sleep deprived today and I've tried to watch The Sisters Brothers twice and fallen asleep both times.

The only thing that keeps me awake is these awful animal spy videos where people place a fake animatronic baby animal somewhere where real animals hang out and film their reactions.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

They sent this robot monkey baby into this colony of monkeys and one of the monkeys accidentally dropped the robo baby and all the real monkeys got convinced it was dead and gathered around mourning and grieving. Why. Why would you mess with the emotions of monkeys like that??

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

So is the Sanic movie... good???

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

coathat posted:

Two episodes in and the al pachino nazi hunter show is bizarrely written and made

The commercials make it look awful.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Probably just as well really

And then Nog is even more the anti-Wesley since he actually has to work and become responsible
DS9 is pretty clear: Nog fucks.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

It would be kind of funny if movie theaters kept operating but studios pushed back the release dates of everything so for the next few months the only movies to go see are the ones that are out at this moment.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

My favorite Titanic book was written by a survivor named Lawrence Beesley. Beesley gets on the boat and it's great he spends a bunch of time talking to cool people and eating. Then there's something confusing going on and he gets into a lifeboat. There's no crowd around, no desperation, nothing. There's some drama involved with the lowering of his lifeboat into the water but it's fine. Then the Titanic sinks and everyone in his lifeboat is okay and he's picked up by the Carpathia the next day. He has the most boring experience possible and he comes out of it completely unscathed.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Spuckuk posted:

Ursula le Guinn absolutely holds up

The Left Hand of Darkness is awesome as hell it's 51 years old and you don't have to make a single excuse for it. Read it if you haven't but wait till July or August.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Actually Player Piano is the most accurate book for right now.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm watching Perpetual Grace, LTD. It's loving bonkers. Has anyone else watched it?? I'm only on episode 2.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Best Squidbillies episode is the Glug episode

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Hulu is stubbornly sticking to "one episode per week" TV rules even for their Originals. Only the shows they really don't give a poo poo about or think are bad or both get dropped all at once.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

General Dog posted:

2007 was the greatest year for movies ever though

1999 was

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

MizPiz posted:

Joke: Learning about politicking from The West Wing

Bespoke: Learning about politicking from Borgia Faith and Fear

Borgia is so good and it looks even better if you watch an episode of the way shittier "The Borgias"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Percelus posted:

i want more seasons of the last kingdom :(

destiny is all

assassin's creed valhalla will be fun hopefully, there is a lot of media about the virgin saxon vs the chad dane

I like how literally every plot in that show is people trying and failing to do something and then eventually going "Ah, nuts to this, I'll just get Uhtred to fix everything!" And he totally does. Also so many schemers scheming with their schemes. I love it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

What if a veteran was so broken and alienated by the country he returned to that he actually snuck back into an active war zone just to try to feel a genuine human connection for a few minutes yuk yuk yuk real laugh riot Mr Aragorn

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Boomers didn't want to fight in Vietnam because it was a stupid loving war and evil, which it was, Boomers didn't want to fight in Vietnam because they were selfish cowards. Then as soon as it was over and they got too old to fight, conservative boomers switched over to talking about how it was a good war that was carried out wrong and liberal boomers focused on narratives about how it was a terrible senseless tragedy done to them. None of these narratives involves seeing the Vietnamese as humans.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Reading that Tom Clancy quote makes me feel like the monkey that asks why

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Hamilton is a way for West Wing watcher type liberals to enjoy something patriotic. They think overt displays of patriotism are for uncouth poor people who watch Nascar, not them.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Comic book movies are for loving children and deciding they were for adults too is top five worst things American culture has done in the last 30 years

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Echo Chamber posted:

I bought the first Call of Duty game at launch basically because it was Medal of Honor Allied Assault, but an Enemy at the Gates level.

This was when Stalingrad was under-exploited as a video game setting.

It's good but the depiction of Soviet tactics is very much outdated ideas from the Cold War era, where our primary source for how the Soviets fought was a bunch of books written by German generals trying to explain how they lost/push the clean Wehrmacht myth for their new American overlords.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

nonathlon posted:

Rectify is at first about whether a longterm death-row inmate is guilty or not but resolutely refuses to solve the mystery and regards it as irrelevant.

I loved Rectify and I hated this. I want my fictional mysteries SOLVED. Actual real life is full of unsolved mysteries and unknowable things enough already. Never showing the answer to a fictional mystery is lazy and performatively pretentious.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

nonathlon posted:

I'm not going to say that you're wrong, I understand it and was perplexed myself as the series headed to an end. But I came around to their viewpoint: whatever happened that night might be unknowable and wouldn't alter what happened afterwards. The afterwards was what they were interested in, what they wanted to explore.

I will grant that having even the suspect be unclear what happened was a bit of a stretch.

In summary: Rectify, cool.

I think Rectify was one of the top 10 shows of the 2010's, and that is a stacked category. I don't regret the time I spent watching Rectify over the years it was airing. It was a beautiful loving show. But I won't recommend it to people and I'll never rewatch it again because I'm still pissed that they never resolved the mystery. I'll never stop being upset about that. What would it have hurt?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Why even watch a short movie just watch TV in that case. The longer and flabbier a movie is the better

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Reds is a 3 hour and 20 minute movie which is great for an afternoon nap on the couch.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

What horrible conservative Clint Eastwood message am I supposed to get from Richard Jewell? I kept hearing how dark and sad it is but I just watched it yesterday and it wasn't.

This guy who spent every day of his life cheering on The Machine, idolizing the people who feed The Machine, trying to become someone who feeds his fellow Americans into The Machine, accidentally fell into The Machine. It's what happened to Augustus Gloop in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

And that's not even a fat joke! Also the constant surprise of "This isn't how things are supposed to go!" And the explicit thing of having a character straight out say the system isn't wrong, it's just some bad apples (that aren't spoiling the barrel).

It's got some really good performances and I don't regret watching it for that, but what the gently caress?? It's not dark and shocking.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

90's movie plots

Aliens have traveled millions of miles with futuristic technology just to look up my butt and blow up my monuments, how will this affect my promotion/bonus??

Foreigners are scary and want to blow up me, the center of all things. How will this affect my promotion/bonus??

Women are unknowable. Young people are unknowable. Minorities are unknowable. I live in an unknowable universe of disaffection and ennui, centered on myself. How will this affect my promotion/bonus??

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Organic Lube User posted:

Gonna try to get back into reading with Hydrogen Sonata. What's y'all's favorite Iain M Banks book and why?

Use of Weapons stuck with me the most. Matter had my favorite setting.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I still had a disc Netflix plan ten years ago. And Netflix's streaming seemed like a miracle. They had so many new offerings every month.

Ten years later I feel like I'm paying at least eight times as much for all the different balkanized services and getting so much less.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Ardent Communist posted:

animorphs was pretty good.

The middle schoolers who read Animorphs 20-25 years ago, the books about the brain slugs secretly controlling everything, are now full grown adults who believe that there's a cabal of cannibal pedophiles secretly controlling everything.

It's all Animorphs fault

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

starkebn posted:

I liked it too. I thought it got a little lost in parts, but it pulled back together in the end in a pretty satisfying way.

I really enjoyed that last season but drat I was appreciative of how well they just spin their wheels for a lot of it. It comes across as way less sweaty than most "we gotta fill some time" installments do.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I mean I thought it was pretty shocking how they just straight out said that you gotta have death to make life meaningful. There's a lot of very Buddhist poo poo in The Good Place and it's disguised as a more traditional narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Tubgoat posted:

Is "super into Marvel and Star Wars" reasonable shorthand for "should not be taken seriously on any matter of politics, taste or intellect?" They seem even more bland and flavorless than Disney's erstwhile reputation of gentifying all entertainment everywhere.

I'm always amazed how comic or Marvel discussion can derail any thread on these here forums, and these people make this long posts that just don't seem to make any point at all. They're just convoluted ways to say "I read this!" or "I saw that!". It's weird endless white noise always.