Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/SeanMcCarthyCom/status/1172270460102414343
https://twitter.com/nickmullen/status/1172313664495353856

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

two eps into Righteous Gemstones and it's pretty good. the pilot was a banger

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

nobody came out of this looking good, especially not the snitch who not only is painfully unfunny but advocates for a "comedy union." i guess he's a union guy as much as cops are

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the blackface in question is from an episode of The Sarah Silverman Program where she makes a bet with a black guy about who has it worse in society: black people or Jews. so to walk a mile in his shoes, she walks around in blackface, which, as you might expect, causes people to get mad at her. at the end of the episode you find out that the black guy is walking around as a Jewish caricature. it was a funny, if crude, take on race relations

but this is Vice, where context and the basic concepts of comedy don't matter because they have to find a problem with everything. i guess they'd rather watch a program like Insecure that spells poo poo out for them like the children they are

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 15:00 on Sep 18, 2019

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Echo Chamber posted:

I'm on Team "Sarah Silverman sucks".

I pretty much hate most comedians who simultaneously whine about the PC police and brand themselves members of the McResistance.
no doubt that she's been doing the same political comedy grift as Amy Schumer and Chelsea Handler over the past few years and she sucks for that. but she doesn't suck because some professional scold on Vice took a picture completely out of context. this is the perfect description of such people:
https://twitter.com/liz_franczak/status/1153828637470162945

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

weird to think that in the old days comics used to be worried about selling out

now its what if people get mad at my edgy uniqueness and prevent me from selling out
gen x had a better view of creativity than millennials do, it's just that they come off as assholes when they defend it

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

KomradeX posted:

I really think the Bush and Obama years have really given comedians an inflated sense of the "worth of comedy" and they need to shut the gently caress up about "PC Culture ruining comedy" one heard that line my whole life. The only thinking ruining comedy is the self important view of it and the dignation that comedy millionaires get when their bits from 2004 handset agreed well.
i can get on board with this. also: comedy is being viewed from the same lens as it was after Jon Stewart went on Crossfire in 2004. back then it worked because we were in a post-9/11 society where people were too afraid to say anything contrary to the George W Bush line, so it was a breath of fresh air to see a smartass tell pundits that they're full of poo poo. it's brutally obvious that it hasn't worked in a while

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 15:34 on Sep 18, 2019

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

KomradeX posted:

And they'll never let that go of that because Jon Stewart shaming Crossfire off the air was the high water mark of Stand up Comedy. I actually think the era of stand up comedy is over, not because of "PC culture liberals" but just the amount of ways people can get comedy, from YouTube to podcasts I thunk is changing it. Hell stand up comedy as it is now is little more than an off shoot of part of a Vaudeville show that started to come into its own in the 1950s and didn't hit big until the Boom years of the 1980s and 90s. The "profession" is either going to die out or just get reabsorbed into being part of other entertainment
i'd argue that's kind of happened to some extent. what is late night tv if not a bunch of people trying (and failing) to imitate prime Jon Stewart?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

wait this is the skit people are defending? Jesus Christ People made it out to some harmless look at race relations.
in the proper context of the episode, it's making a point about society and makes her character out to be an acceptable "punching up" target- two things that self-styled comedy critics want in their comedy over actual laughs. it was just done in the style of her comedy act at the time, before she decided she'd become just another political commentator

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 19:09 on Sep 18, 2019

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

should i bother watching Stranger Things if i have no real attachment to '80s nostalgia?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the man needs to pay money for the castles he spent a ton of money on, and he's having fun doing it

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Freaking Crumbum posted:

season 2 was bad because it really felt like they were completely unprepared to make another season.
this seems to be a problem with a lot of shows these days. i watched all of Insecure with my then-gf. the end season 1 made me think whether the rest of it would be a laugh-out-loud show like the first half or a relationship drama like the second half. it went with neither, instead it became a boring as gently caress show where nothing of consequence happens. i guess Issa Rae didn't think it would get another season

Equeen posted:

the hand-wringing done by self proclaimed progressives over the joker movie possibly causing a mass shooting is loving stupid. you can be worried about the movie's ~problematic~ themes without sounding like conservatives trying to ban violent video games.
the reaction to Joker from shitlib twitter checkmarks would be eyerolling if it didn't have such chilling undertones. it's a combination of "comic book movies are for US, not THEM" elitism and a straight-up desire for censorship in the Tipper Gore mold. and the movie hasn't even been loving released to a wide audience yet

in all likelihood, it's going to be a fine, passable movie that will be forgotten about a month after it leaves theaters, because that's all Hollywood makes these days

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Squizzle posted:

jokers trick
https://twitter.com/jokers_trick/status/1167136371464499200

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

ive thought the joker movie was a dumb idea since the first ive heard of it but this sounds like an especially stupid criticism people in comic book movies murder each other all the drat time and half the time theyre coded as the explicit good guys why would this particular comic book movie be any more inspiring
as i mentioned, there's an undercurrent of elitism to all of this, that comic book movies are for the culturally liberal and for no one else. these people have gotten a fat head from Wonder Woman, Black Panther, and Captain Marvel- movies that explicitly pander to their tastes

but yeah, any movie or piece of pop culture can inspire people to do dumb or horrible poo poo

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

joker doesnít really seem to be a comic book movie.

like it just seems to be a killer clown movie with no real connection to the joker besides the name
i've heard people say that as well and it's a valid point. if it didn't have the name attached to it, it would just be some curiosity that barely anybody would watch

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Serf posted:

i'm more interested in how its going to use anti-capitalism as window dressing

also i don't see where they get the incel thing from because he clearly hooks up with zazie beetz's character. which, uh weird choice but whatever
a bunch of twitter checkmarks saw the trailer back in april, decided that it was a superhero movie for incels, and have steadfastly stuck with that interpretation. movie critics, by and large, haven't interpreted it as such, which is good because they increasingly speak with one voice

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ikanreed posted:

I'm mostly on board with postmodernist ideology, but that is some postmodern psychobabble nonsense there
i never liked sam kriss's work, it always read like the writing equivalent of a Zero Punctuation review to me. and that was before the allegations about him

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

this article is a better negative review of Avengers: Endgame than Sam Kriss's blathering

what blows my mind is that critics universally praised this poo poo. not as a fun popcorn muncher, but as a good example of cinema. even if you believe that hollywood has always been poo poo and movie critics have always praised the worst slop that they're told to like, this is completely unprecedented. Endgame and every other superhero movie would have been considered mindless wastes of time not long ago

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i should mention that i've seen a grand total of zero MCU movies, which makes me the cinematic equivalent of a unicorn

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

people needing their entertainment to say some message they already agree with broadly is way more annoying that like Jaws not having some deep message
it feels like a feedback loop: creators want to make something with a not-at-all subtle message, critics hype it partially because of said message, enough people like it to justify executives wanting to make more of it, wash rinse repeat. entertainment suffers as a result. these things move in phases so one hopes this stops soon

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

KomradeX posted:

Wait isn't Jacobite some fash adjacent anti-Jacobin?
whoops i honestly had no idea

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 12:59 on Sep 26, 2019

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Serf posted:

lol the clown protesters have "eat the rich" signs. they're going to cast anti-capitalists as terrorists y'all
didn't they do the same thing with Dark Knight Rises

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I watched The Princess & The Frog on Netflix recently because I'd never seen it before and it's really some poo poo. Doing a story set in New Orleans during the 1930s while subsuming all hints of racial animus is peak Disney whitewashing. The closest it gets to acknowledging the historical reality is when the realtors tell Tiana that she lost the bid on the lot for her dream restaurant because of her "background." You could assume that's because she's black, but narratively it reads that she's poor. If you're going to ignore all the racial politics of the South in the 20s while trying to tell a story about black people, then the only way to do it is if there aren't any whites.

That's before we even get to the blatant class war. Doctor Facilier is only a bad guy because he resents rich people and wants to be rich himself. Same for Prince Naveen's fat English butler, who resents being treated like a slave his whole life and wants to turn the tables. Meanwhile Big Daddy, the white land baron of New Orleans is one of the good guys. Also, in my brain I knew I should hate Big Daddy for being a capitalist, but I had to like him because he was voiced by John Goodman. A dirty trick, imo.

On top of all of that it uncritically reconstructs the domestic ideology of pre-2000s Disney films. Tiana's dream of honoring her dead WW1 vet father by realizing his restaurant is treated as delusional. What she really needs is a loving relationship with a good man. So it's real convenient that in the end she gets to have both based on the mere technicality that when she frog marries Naveen she legally becomes a princess. So the movie undermines the ambitions of its own protagonist and its central theme at the same time by insisting you should be able to have both - even if you didn't really want it before. What a loving mess.

Still some of the music is good, and it's visually one of the most interesting Disney movies. I wouldn't recommend showing it to your kids or a niece/nephew unless you're willing to contextualize it for them at some point. It's just some dumb Disney bullshit. This was supposed to be Disney's send up for black girls and it still managed to be one of the most problematic films they've ever made, circa 2009.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0lSoHNmMTA

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Control Volume posted:

Anyone have the lowdown on the Joker outrage thing? My sniff test tells me its an astroturf thing to sell tickets through controversy but I cant muster enough care to investigate a superhero movie
a bunch of morons with twitter checkmarks decided back in April that Joker was a comic book movie for incels based on the trailer, and they haven't shut up about it since even though it's a couple weeks from released. it's less an astroturf campaign as it is a self-fulfilling prophecy

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

coathat posted:

Itís a pretty good insight into how that class views the poor.
it's more than just that. i think that a big reason why it's gotten such a visceral reaction from culturally liberal people on Twitter is because they believe that pop culture, especially superhero movies, caters specifically to them and nobody else. stuff like Wonder Woman and Black Panther are perfect examples of that. so when they feel that Joker doesn't appeal to them, they feel like it's for the other, less deserving audience

simply put, it's elitism. they don't want to feel like they don't dominate pop culture, which has been their last bastion of cultural relevance up to now

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Percelus posted:

ashton kutcher has always been an insufferable dickhead

he is exactly the kind of idiot who thinks because he struck gold and got onto a long running tv series as a young man and never had to worry about money since and now can play "entrepreneur" while netflix and whoever else keeps throwing cash at him that anyone in debt or poverty just needs to work hard like him

also the ranch is arguably the worst thing netflix has made
i gotta be honest, i barely know anything he's done after That 70s Show and Punk'd. just that Steve Jobs biopic, and not even the better-known one

it would be cooler if he just went the Macauley Culkin, Daniel Radcliffe, or Elijah Wood route, where they have all the money they ever need and just do whatever the gently caress they want that isn't acting in movies

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

macauley culkin's big thing right now is guest starring on YouTube channels. he was on Angry Video Game Nerd and Red Letter Media

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i had no idea that Ashton Kutcher is some big-poo poo silicon valley investor but i'm not surprised. his entire shtick on That '70s Show was being a loud obnoxious rear end in a top hat

not a former child actor but i also appreciate Gilbert Gottfried's post-acting career. he does voice acting and has a podcast where he talks about old show business. he loves repeating depraved stories about Cesar Romero and Pat McCormick

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'm not sure whether that request was Frankie being lucid or whether it was his severe brain injury, but it was worth it for this picture

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ad Astra looks like another generic "A-list celebrity in space" movie like Gravity or The Martian

Giga Gaia posted:

all seemingly to promote his version of the something awful front page
i deeply appreciate that Culkin has no interest in going back into anything related to show business and just wants to gently caress around doing incredibly weird vanity things, like this and that Velvet Underground pizza-themed cover band. he's out there living his best life

Echo Chamber posted:

While there's nothing particularly new or mind-blowing in Renegade Cut's new SNL video, I think it's a fairly comprehensive SNL takedown for the Trump era.
it's worth mentioning that SNL during the George W Bush era was the least political the show has ever been, although The Daily Show (and later The Colbert Report) scratched that political humor itch for audiences. then Tina Fey did the Sarah Palin impression and there was no turning back

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i tried getting through that Renegade Cut SNL video, but i had to stop watching. that rundown of Trump's appearance in 2015 was just painful to hear him go through in detail. it's insultingly bad (the whole SNL episode with Trump, not the video)

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Echo Chamber posted:

And Bush and Rove liked the SNL persona and called their political planning "strategery".

Also, here's my edgy opinion on Fey's Palin. It sucked. Not just in a "it softened Palin's image" kind of way. It just wasn't funny. I distinctly remembered every liberal hack back in 2008 deciding it was funny even before it premiered. It premiered alongside an appearance of Amy Phoeler's Hillary, so I think it had way more to do with liberals' parasocial relationship with Tina Fey as the standard bearer of White Feminism before a conversation (and backlash) about White Feminism really started rolling in liberal spaces.
nah, i wouldn't call your opinion edgy at all. i was bewildered by the amount of traction it got on news at the time, it was just Fey acting dumb and not funny. and yet i'd take it over the negative comedic value of everything else on today's SNL

i read this interview she did with Reader's Digest at that time where she said it felt better to do comedy for laughter than applause. notwithstanding her own contribution to "clapter" (as Seth Meyers, of all people, called it) as the dominant form of mainstream liberal comedy today, people would do well to remember that

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i understand your skepticism. maybe millennial comedians think like we do, but they're willing to shut up in exchange for money. and i bet the funniest ones aren't taking the traditional route of seguing a standup career into an entertainment career, so you're not hearing about them unless you're going to where they are, which is increasingly podcasts

this is probably just my pessimism talking, but i feel like this liberal grip on mainstream comedy is not going away any time soon because it fills a niche among prominent libs in entertainment and politics. the same people who celebrated people like Jon Stewart and Dave Chappelle speaking truth to power 15 years ago have corrupted that view of comedy to reinforce their own beliefs. this wasn't even a Trump thing, i noticed it in 2014

basically, if sites like Vulture tell you that some special is "important," steer clear

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

itís pretty pitiful that most reviewers donít even consider that stories are set in a certain time period to inform its historical context, and not just because they want to produce cool costumes and vintage cars.
death of the author is a fun thought exercise, but that's about it

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Echo Chamber posted:

Not to continue my "let me remind you I'm asian" rants, but I do sincerely appreciate Mindy Kaling's unsympathetic characters on The Office and Mindy Project, because they're nice reminders that the many second generation Asian Americans who came of age in the 80s and 90s, especially if their immigrant parents weren't working class, ended up spoiled brats whose commitment to progressive values is tenuous.

Many of them call the cops and gentrify. Some of them even voted Trump, despite being invested in the American melting pot narrative that Reagan championed.

Unsure how much of it is intentional, or if it's just comedians liking to play unsympathetic characters, period.
please don't apologize, you've made some great insights that my white rear end wouldn't have thought of. it's important for pop culture (pardon the overused phrase) to show that PoC characters can be just as flawed as their white counterparts. a major reason why i think shows like Master of None and Insecure suck is that there's no conflict that comes about as a result of a character's personality. things just happen to them and they handle it in extremely boring, unmemorable ways

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Percelus posted:

even africans trying to get into europe often end up drowning and the mediterranean is such a calm body of water compared to any open ocean that ancient greek and roman vessels could easily traverse one and completely useless in the other

immigration, like everything else, is so much easier when you are rich
i wouldn't say immigrants from asia are rich, but you have to have a chunk of change and planning in order to get here on stable footing. it's the same with anglophone caribbean immigrants, although most of them have the added wrinkle of being black, which can offset things

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Percelus posted:

you certainly can immigrate to america if you are poor and asian but your experience will also be a lot different, many rich asian immigrants go straight to suburbia and for the most part can experience life as a pmc white person does albeit with some racism thrown in meanwhile a working class person probably ends up in an urban ethnic enclave struggling to make ends meet like every american immigrant group before them

which comes back full circle, if you live in the suburbs you are probably going to have lovely politics like most suburbanites
that checks out. i partially grew up in a new growth exurb in New Jersey that had a bunch of families from India move not long after my family moved there. the politics sucked there and i would imagine the kids absorbed it. Indian Americans are the most reliably Democratic demographic among Asian Americans (three-quarters of them), but given that NJ is a very suburban state, i imagine many of them are suburban liberals

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Percelus posted:

crazy rich asians is a movie about a pmc girl that meets a billionaire boy and makes that leap from upper middle class to disgustingly filthy rich, the dream of all lovely upper middle class social climbers
i couldn't make it through 15 minutes of that piece of poo poo movie. the difference in the message of Crazy Rich Asians and Get Out is stark

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 19:50 on Oct 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i mentioned a major problem that Insecure and Master of None have are the lack of PoC characters with any personality flaws, but you'd better believe that they got a ton of critical buzz when they were on the air. i never heard Always Be My Maybe, and i gotta think its lack of acclaim is because it doesn't have a flawed PoC main character. that's disturbing and reveals a lot about mainstream criticism