Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
hello i posted this in the trump thread and i'm sure there's zero people who read this thread but not that one

i saw fury road getting so many #1 of the decades and tried to make my own list and guess what the correct answer is fury road

https://medium.com/@originalscrub/best-media-of-the-2010s-1ad7e10a9e0c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Finicums Wake posted:

tbh there are things on that list i've been meaning to check out, but will now do so because scrubleague said they were good

i think that 'the act of killing,' a documentary, is the most egregious omission. besides books

havent seen it, didn't come to theaters, was never on hbo

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
the cool thing about star wars is none of the original trilogy is remarkably better than anything else in the series

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

StashAugustine posted:

Honestly I think the thing is that the OT had a ton of flaws that you just don't care about because it was overall good

a new hope is the best of the OT and you could lift half an hour out of both empire and jedi and they'd be better.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
no thank you

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
i saw some people furious that game of thrones didn't get any golden globe nominations except for the one guy for acting. you know, the show that fans were universally making GBS threads on through the entire season, who are now mad that it is not being recognized for excellence.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
vice principals is a lot meaner

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
china

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
it probably is

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
honestly i'm kind of glad rise isn't getting either universal acclaim or derision, i'm sure i'll love it because even though star wars movies in general are bad poo poo for babies, they always hit really well with me, and it will be nice to see it without the weight of expectation.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Some Guy TT posted:

i caught some of it on cable awhile back and was honestly kind of shocked how much it veered away from self referential bullshit like the only characters who engaged in that were the ones that were explicitly being shown to be morons even the main character but his main redeeming quality is that he has a strong interest in how the game was originally developed demonstrating an unusually sincere curiousity in a world filled with idiots who worship brands

do want to actually finish it at some point but i can hardly blame myself for reacting to the movies base concept with raw hatred given the way it was marketed leafing through the source material at a department store didnt do it any favors either among the many stupid references i saw in the exactly two pages i read were a mention of how wil wheaton and cory doctorow were highly respected senators in the new video game based political system

you're thinking of ready player one which is a different and much worse movie than ready or not

ready or not is the hide & seek movie where Not Margot Robbie merks a bunch of rich assholes while also getting the absolute poo poo beaten out of her

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

idk guys I think I’m going to see knives out

it's pretty good

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
yeah star wars was kind of a bummer. i didn't hate it but there were a lot of things started that never finished, and spending the first hour looking for a map is some prequel-rear end poo poo

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
the tree of life is a beautiful, devastating, frustrating, inspiring piece of visual art. it's not a very good movie, but that's not the point. it's one of those movies where the creation is the art, and the act of an audience seeing it is irrelevant to its purpose. but it's not a very good movie.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Jenny Agutter posted:

What's a good movie. what makes a movie good. how much YouTube movie criticism do you watch

almost none? i think a movie is good when it intentionally provokes an emotional reaction. i had no reaction during or after watching the tree of life, it just happened to me. i still think it's a beautiful piece of existential collaborative art, but i don't think it transcends the space between screen and viewer like good movies do.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
i remember it being a surprisingly fast read for a book so big

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
watched magnolia last night and boy do i yearn for the days of energetic PTA

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
watched the 2012 les miserables because we were talking about the book here, what an exhausting movie.

the revolution stuff was all pretty good, but then marius goes and gets married to the rich girl and gets rich himself, and then the movie just sort of ends. i know that's basically how the source goes too, but it seemed like the last hour just zipped by after the first two crawled, and then it was over.,

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
saw some movies this weekend, the vvitch which was extremely good, parasite which was extremely good, and the death of dick long which was very funny until it was extremely not - some real hard swings in that movie, weird poo poo.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
watching the best film among the nominees win the award, angrily shouting at my television "THIS IS ABOUT YOU"

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
it's available on DVD at your local library

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
i only watch movies on PSP UMDs

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
just watched the 2011 michael shannon film take shelter and lmao we're all going to die and there's absolutely nothing we can do about it

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
plex is kind of a lovely program but extremely easy to use and 10tb external hard drives can be had for less than $200

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
watching molly's game, man i wish i loved anything as much as aaron sorkin loves rich people