Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Why can't we have a loving original idea just one loving time stop banking on the past and just make a loving thing Jesus Christ you absolute fuckin assholes the dark Knight returns movies are the most ironic goddamn thing ever made fuckin Christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
If we have to adapt things maybe let's not adapt the things that everyone has heard of let's do some weird poo poo like idk adapt oh maybe just as a for instance

*Spins a big wheel covered entirely in British comics*

American Reaper? gently caress this things broken never mind

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

No j want to see wild British poo poo get adapted so my actual choice is Cradlegrave, a lovecraftian horror story set in a council estate that is as much about the horrors of the inescapable nature of poverty and the crime that it breeds as it is the weird Cthulhu poo poo

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

mandatory lesbian posted:

Adapt that one Alan Moore comic that's a bunch of fairy tale princesses talking about loving

Lost Girls

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Freaking Crumbum posted:

what's your take on the umbrella academy series they released on netflix? IIRC it's pretty close to the second arc of the comics (they tweak the ending but otherwise it's pretty spot on) and that's definitely not a comic series that i think most people have heard of

Oh that absolutely whipped, it mashed the first two arcs up in the exact right way and knew what to keep and what to ditch

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

coathat posted:

No one should make any adaption of any western comic book

Dredd 2012 though

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Forceholy posted:

The Raid already did a "law enforcement fight their way out of a crime riddled public housing building" type movie first.

Dredd was in production for a while before that, it's literally two movies coming to the same idea independently

Also wildly thematically and tonally different movies

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jenny Agutter posted:

a history of violence
snowpiercer
blue is the warmest color

A History of Violence is also by co-creator of Judge Dredd John Wagner, the more you know dot jpg

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
the raid redemption is about a man slowly shedding the trappings of civilization and descending into a primal state to survive while refusing to discard his principles

dredd is about how the cops are exactly as bad as the criminals

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

General Dog posted:

But the criminals sell drugs and the cops don’t

For the people who aren't joking and are dumb as gently caress the end of the movie is literally Dredd killing ma ma the same way she kills the guy at the start of the movie

He's as much of a violent psychopath as her, he just has the cover of The Law*

*This is entirely consistent with the comics

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The best scene is the "he's thinking about going for your gun" exchange or else Anderson vs the dirty judge

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The Raid has a very similar theme of government & police corruption, but there's never a question that the protagonist is in the right and doing what needs to be done.

I think part of that is that he spends the entire move on the backfoot in a way that dredd never does, hes constantly being stripped of his tools and armor until he's just shy of an animal

Also you know the whole thing where he got fuckin swindled into doing this in the first place

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ElNarez posted:

what's the girl with the two hammers a symbol of

That's berendal that's not the first one

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

etalian posted:

Yeah Dredd does nail the black humor aspects of the source material really well.

This was a thing I didn't appreciate fully in 2012 but seven years and seven hundred issues later yeah it's loving dead on

"The food court will reopen in thirty minutes"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
youtube decided to recommend i watch a bunch of 90s letterman musical guests and it lead me down a rabbit hole until i was watching the offspring who i am reminded are the least cool punk band ever, they have songs about not smoking weed and calling the cops

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

MonsieurChoc posted:

When you think about it, Goku is just superman raised by a martial artists instead of american farmers.

goku is superman without the lie at the core of him, the need to pretend to be human

he's just goku

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Some Guy TT posted:

movie reviews have been like this for at least a decade if not longer its an embarrassment to the craft and the inability of critics to realize this is why nobody takes them seriously anymore just makes the whole thing that much sadder

i caught some of it on cable awhile back and was honestly kind of shocked how much it veered away from self referential bullshit like the only characters who engaged in that were the ones that were explicitly being shown to be morons even the main character but his main redeeming quality is that he has a strong interest in how the game was originally developed demonstrating an unusually sincere curiousity in a world filled with idiots who worship brands

do want to actually finish it at some point but i can hardly blame myself for reacting to the movies base concept with raw hatred given the way it was marketed leafing through the source material at a department store didnt do it any favors either among the many stupid references i saw in the exactly two pages i read were a mention of how wil wheaton and cory doctorow were highly respected senators in the new video game based political system

That's ready played one and it's absokute dkgshit

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Disney should hire Jason Aaron to write a script based on his unused script for a star wars comic about the stormtroopers hunting down Yoda and dagobah and it becomes predator with Yoda as the predator

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Echo Chamber posted:

The acronym makes more sense to me as "Trans-Exclusive Reactionary Feminist", but I'm pretty sure someone else thought of it first.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention how much Rowling loves domestic abuse.

Feminist Adjacent Reactionary Transphobe, or FART

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bro Dad posted:

Witcher is good but lol the main actor as at least a foot taller than everyone else so it's like he's acting with a bunch of pale, deformed children

Vaguely consistent with the idea that Witcher's are basically fantasy space Marines, just the result of weird experiments that leave them something not entirely human

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Wemus posted:

how is it that so many people love these books and yet completely miss things like this

my man

Because that whole subplot was boring and my teenage brain skipped it

Also I was sixteen and I don't remember a lot of it beyond broad strokes

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Helsing posted:

If you expanded that notion slightly to include the entire subgenre of teen sex comedies/dramas - Grease, Porky's, Breakfast Club, Fast Times at Richmond High, She's All That, 10 Things I Hate About You, American Pie - as part of the formative cultural zeitgest from which a lot of incel tropes emerge. In his manifesto Eliot Rodgers actually talks specifically about how upsetting he found teen movies in which the protagonist gets a hot girl at the end and how this influenced his growing sense of resentment.

10 Things is literally just taming of the shrew but Julia stiles cries at the end and it always breaks my heart

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hauntedween imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

StashAugustine posted:

Dwarves are genderqueer, I will not expand on this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khhkzcwtUQc