Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

smarxist posted:

a lot of film people take it too seriously, but comic book movies definitely are trash

Everything is trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
MCU films are trash but so are art films.

I think its silly to get offended but the reasons for doing so aren't bad - if some fart huffing pedophile defender says the stuff you enjoy isn't real its not that you're defending the honour of your entertainment its that you rightly perceive that this upper class poo poo bag is looking down his nose at you.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Farm Frenzy posted:

only if you identify with lovely superhero movies

Its still shittery. So you like watching art films and jerking off about how much smarter you are then those plebs - what the gently caress ever.

And people heavily identifying with popular films - maybe theres some kind of problem with society that a dude worth millions might not have any loving idea about.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Like his argument isn't they're bad because the Poors and the Stupids like them his argument is they're bland bullshit made with an eye to snagging as many dollars as possible rather than being someone's actual artistic vision

And he's right

Millionaires aren't right until they're dead.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Well this is a productive discussion

I agree that the MCU films are products designed to make the biggest amount of money possible. I just think that maybe they wouldn't be like that if we didn't live in a society that was designed to encourage that sort of mindset and also that maybe a millionaire isn't the best person to be talking about it and also gently caress him.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I meant "heartbreaking, worst person" etc is a meme for a reason

Being a millionaire can be immoral and he can be right about how this is mass produced bullshit with no artistic value

Well, sure. Its value is the bread and circuses distraction from society collapsing, which I agree isn't artistic.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Like you're not even arguing with his ideas you're just mad that he said them

I don't care for the idea that a director is the sole producer of art with regards to cinema and I think that dismissing the work of the actors and film crew is bullshit even if the ideas he is expressing are correct. I think the term art is bullshit in general because theres no objective way to define it with regards to this conversation because every loving film funded by a major corporation is intended to make a profit but that doesn't mean that the people working on them aren't trying to say something.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Maybe, I guess. I don't know. I haven't even watched a marvel film in a while. They all just kind of blend in together after a while.

EDIT: Honestly I think its just that i'm kind of dumb.

MrFlibble has issued a correction as of 17:35 on Oct 5, 2019

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Sometimes I think my life would've been better if I lacked any self-awareness.

Movie Bob might be happy with his no self awareness life - but it does mean he is sentenced to a lifetime of being Movie Bob without hope of improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Is it really such a curse to be Movie Bob and have no shame? That's like pitying a dog because it doesn't know how uncouth it is to lick his balls in front of company.

All I know is that I would not choose it myself. Even knowing I would not have to look upon myself.