Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Serf posted:

i finished up season 1 of lodge 49 and it sucks that they cancelled this show. its sorta like a working-class counterpart to succession. it can be ethereal and dreamlike, a "modern fable" as it claims to be, but the action is rooted in the material struggle of a group of complex characters attempting to survive being ground up by the gears of late capitalism. the ghost of the dead american dream haunts the precariat who populate the show. they deal with this situation in their own ways. one of them, the most nakedly anti-capitalist, works two jobs and takes speed to stay awake through his night shift as a security guard at a closing aerospace facility, says that "robots are the future. the only way to survive is to become a robot." he doesn't care about tresspassing, pointing out that tax dollars built the aerospace industry, and it therefore belongs to all of us.

the show has a strong focus on community and the myriad ties that hold us all together. as it progresses you find out more and more ways the characters are connected and gain a deeper insight into how their actions affect one another. and there is some surreal imagery in there, times when the barrier between the real world and the imagined fairy tale land of knights and alchemists breaks down a bit. its an entertaining watch and i am looking forward to finishing season 2 and i hope that some streaming service picks it up

I hope it gets picked up, but season 2 ties everything up in a pretty satisfying manner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

maybe hollywood would have more success building new talent if they didn't take turns raping every successfully aspiring actor

What’s the point in gardening if you never harvest?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

i wanna guess theres context for this that makes him look less like a murderous psycho but it actually makes him look like more of a murderous psycho doesnt it

They stole his stuff

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Bro Dad posted:

say what you will about ron howard but he managed to salvage the infamously awful Solo production into a decent film

poo poo if they had a cinematographer that wasnt in love with ps3-era brown color filters it would have been a great movie

Are we sure Lord and Miller's Solo was bad, or was it just off-brand enough that Disney got cold feet? Ron Howard's Solo isn't bad per se, but it is extremely bland and pointless.

It plays, not surprisingly, like a comedy with all of the actual jokes removed.

General Dog has issued a correction as of 17:31 on Dec 3, 2019

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Baby Yoda on the Mandolorian is almost a “Clooney on ER” type situation.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

It's funny how, I think, almost every positive representational move Marvel makes they tie that character to some part of the Military Industrial Complex

Marvel is a postwar product, that's what it's for. If Marvel stopped being optimistic about government and industry and technology, it wouldn't be Marvel anymore.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The whole point of Act of Killing is that they don't feel bad at all.

Well right, wouldn't the Communists have done the same to them if the shoe was on the other foot?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Forceholy posted:

Finally catching up on Mandalorian.

Is it supposed to feel like a video game cutscene compilation, or is that just my diseased brain talking?

The parts where he goes to get his armor upgraded definitely feel that way.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

im honestly kind of curious how the academy is going to shaft parasite because there just havent been enough good movies this year that you can point to one anybody has heard of and plausibly claim its even in the same league

I haven't seen it, but I feel pretty confident it won't be nominated for Best Picture, and probably won't even win Best Foreign film.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i mean his mentor (eisner) infamously based the disney company's ethos on "we don't have an obligation to make art, we have an obligation to make a profit, and it's a happy coincidence if we create the former in the pursuit of the latter" so my guess is he doesn't really care what scorcese has to say about his insanely profitable multi-billion dollar franchises

Yeah there's no way he gives a poo poo or even takes it as an insult.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Dr. Killjoy posted:

yeah he’s not, he’s actually laughing

laughing all the way to the bank

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The fact that we still do nothing but argue about the prequels pretty much says all you need to know about the sequels.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Last Jedi is one of the hem hawingest movies I've ever seen.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

ElNarez posted:

the point of canto bight is that it's basically tatooine from episode I, except instead of the two jedis watching greed and corruption and slavery and doing nothing but taking the one kid, it's a janitor and a mechanic with a sense of right and wrong so they bring it all crashing down

The Jedi free one child slave; the new guys free zero child slaves while patting themselves on the back for causing a disruption that will likely require a 6-8 hour cleanup.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Serf posted:

my favorite bit of background on the prequels is that lucas had no interest in directing them, and he asked basically all his friends to do it and they, rightly, told him that it would be a career disaster to try and do more star wars. but the funny part is that he asked david lynch and its so loving funny to imagine the lynchian star wars movies

He asked Lynch to direct Return of the Jedi

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

the prequels and the sequels both rely on palpatine being a clairvoyant mastermind super-planner who had everything go exactly right in order to succeed, and they somehow magically do. it's the worst loving poo poo ever and it's just embarassing to pretend either of those trilogies have any redeeming value

If you ignore a lot of dumb EU stuff, prequel Palpatine can just be read as a great opportunist. Since he was the power behind both sides in the Clone Wars, it could be seen as a "heads I win, tails you lose" scenario. He didn't meticulously manufacture every step of Anakin's fall, he just identified him early on as a tremendously powerful, frustrated young man and pulled his strings better than the Jedi could.

Palpatine wasn't the architect of the corruption and stupidity of the Jedi and the Republic, he was the outcome of those things.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I don’t know why we’re wasting our time talking about Rick and Morty when Joe Pera Talks With You is airing new episodes.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Echo Chamber posted:

Random thought I just had as one of those folks who closely followed the controversy back in 2009/2010.

That kid who played the main character in that racist M. Night Shyamalan movie from almost a decade ago really hasn't had any significant acting work since then. Meanwhile, M. Night Shyamalan was able to pivot back and stage a comeback.

Before you defend M. Night, I'll also mention he tied himself to the education reform movement.

Do you mean like the 8 year old in Airbender? Who gives a poo poo? Also I don’t think racial self loathing is racism

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Echo Chamber posted:

I kind of feel like the kid of all people shouldn't have to be the one guy who faced consequence from Hollywood being lovely. And the criticism at the time went to great lengths to "not blame the actor".

Did you see his name on a blacklist or something? The narrative on that movie from day one until the present has always been "Jesus, what a fiasco for Shyamalan", I don't think anyone has ever said "this movie is great if that kid actor isn't so lovely."

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Seems like we might as well wait one more week and see where it was going before doing the autopsy

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Freaking Crumbum posted:

it was hilarious in the context of the show

since i managed to enjoy gemstones, is vice principals comparable in quality? i passed it up before but now i'm curious about whether i should watch that too

It's my favorite of the Jody Hill/Danny McBride HBO shows, though I love all of them. Gamby is just such an instantly recognizable character, in that nearly everyone encountered one at some point in their life, very possibly as an authority at school.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The only problem I had with The Boys was the idea that the company that handles the supers would let them anywhere near an evangelist who touts gay conversion therapy in 2019, when they're supposed to be these antiseptic, meticulously focus grouped corporate products. That feels like a an artifact of older source material. They should be #woke brands. If anything, one of them is getting sent to Pride.

edit: was typing up the above while this was posted

Bro Dad posted:

Other than the basic concept and the weird circa 2004 anti-evangelism episode the boys show is totally different than the comic

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Bro Dad posted:

Tbf they do pivot to that later by monetizing starlight's metoo moment but yeah that episode is jarringly out of date

Is that something out of the comic? I haven't read it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Do people think the Christian media circuit disappeared in the last 15 years?

No, but if we're running with the metaphor that these superheroes are meticulously managed brands run by a major corporation, it doesn't make sense that they're letting them anywhere near that rodeo, much less sending them against their will. How would Disney like, say, Brie Larson appearing at a Focus on the Family event?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Dr. Killjoy posted:

it was muddled in the comics too, like there was one hero who had to apologize to the public for being gay and another who was made into the gay friendly hero for PR purposes (while also being a massive homophobe on top of that).

In the show it seems like sometimes they're celebrities and sometimes they're more analogous to politicians just depending on what the storyline is (it's more usually the former). You kind of need to pick one track or another, because those two occupy different spaces with radically different expectations in the public imagination.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

MizPiz posted:

I've been rewatching 30 Rock and I can't help but wonder how it'd be received if it came out today. While a lot of the jokes are quite obviously problematic in today's climate (e.g. a surprising amount of blackface), it does hit enough lib buttons that it would have it's defenders.

I know 30 Rock probably isn’t sufficiently Marxist for C-SPAM, but it’s worth something that it has jokes and is funny and all that.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

did anyone in watchmen have an actual goal or was everybody just so hell bent on gaining godly powers they didnt even stop to ask why they wanted them

The show really face planted at the end there, but I found that particular aspect of it pretty true to life. It’s Lady Trieu’s turn!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I don’t think the new thing needs to treat the source material as a sacred text, it just needs to be good. Unfortunately everything just turns out bad regardless.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

You know, Birth of a Nation is a movie that would never get made today

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

the raid redemption is about a man slowly shedding the trappings of civilization and descending into a primal state to survive while refusing to discard his principles

dredd is about how the cops are exactly as bad as the criminals

But the criminals sell drugs and the cops don’t

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I like episode where Liz becomes paranoid that her middle eastern neighbor is making a terrorist recruitment video and reports him and it turns out he was making an audition tape for the Amazing Race.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

These sound more like GI Joe characters

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Over Easy posted:

what movies? if I may ask

I just saw the hateful 8 for the first time and was alright with it

Anything he made with Miramax, which is everything from Reservoir Dogs to at least Kill Bill I think.

I still hold that the plot point in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood about Cliff possibly having killed his wife is at least partially QT working out his feelings about Weinstein.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I don't care what the Aliens symbolize, they slaughtered innocent white colonists and I need to see them pay the price.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

In Jim Cameron’s classic “Titanic”, you’ll notice that the rich people stay in nice rooms with windows and the poor people stay in dingy rooms with no windows that are physically and figuratively lower. Makes u think

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Idiocracy has gone all the way from box office flop to secret gem to overrated and back to underrated again

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

mysterious frankie posted:

poo poo like Idiocracy is the dirt holding up a landfill.

Sometimes I just enjoy seeing the poor taken down a notch for once

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

What's everybody's take on Red Dawn (the '84 one)? I think it's a pretty fun little daydream of a movie. Kind of like someone took the kind of stuff that I'd fantasize about while mowing the yard and put it on the big screen.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

vyelkin posted:

if America ever took its foot off the defence spending gas pedal or stopped doing right-wing coups in Latin America.

Well I guess we'll never know what would've happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

vyelkin posted:

lmao at Red Dawn

So they found a guy to help with the story who was too bloodthirsty for Milius' taste?