Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Yeah stuff is actually happening in Season 3.

My favorite part of season three was that 80s mall capitalism turned out to be a communist plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

But that's not true. Who's dominating and controlling Mr. Mushnik, or the Dentist, or Audrey 2? Who's dominating and controlling Patrick Martin? The one commonality between all the characters in the cast is their relation to capitalism.

They don't even really want more stuff is the point. What they desire is to escape poverty, or have fulfilling interpersonal relationships. They only think they want more stuff because it's packaged to them as the necessary trappings of a fulfilling lifestyle. Audrey wanting to escape her abusive relationship by moving to the suburbs is an inherent irony that can't be ignored. Suburban life wasn't a liberation for housewives, she's buying into a false promise sold to her by capitalism.

This analysis is on point.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Phillips also got his start making a GG Allin documentary, so he might just have a soft spot for transgressive anarchic chaos, regardless of what it's in service of.

Like, his Hangover sequel was the externalized version of the nihilism underpinning the original and I don't care enough to research if he intended that. He might just like not liking things.

E: also I haven't seen Joker yet, so idk

mysterious frankie has issued a correction as of 19:43 on Oct 5, 2019

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

The politics of any comic book property is gonna be suss just because it's by nature going to be a product of the most industry conforming Hollywood lifers so, at best, it's gonna be the product of some twerpy neolib who writes a story that tries to wrestle with the grim reality that there are people to the left of them by writing said lefties as villains that make some cool speeches before getting outed as insincere or crazy, or it's gonna be some mental grimdark poo poo written by a conservative that's so slow action dinosaur brained that they haven't realized they stopped being punk 20 years ago and are well on their way to being straight up fascist.

mysterious frankie has issued a correction as of 04:29 on Oct 6, 2019

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

This isn't remotely true lmao

I was talking about comic book movies, hence the "hollywood lifers" part of the post.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Backyard bbq drunks shocked by Beer Advocate admin's dismissal of Budweiser.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

what is the ideology of touhou

what's a Minky Momo and why do i get sudden flashes of cities burning and Enochian circles drawn with blood whenever I start to type it into google?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Minky Momo is a magical girl anime from the 80s. It's notable because the toy makers stopped paying royalties to the animation studio that was producing it, so to get back at them for being ripped off they killed off Minky Momo in the final episode of the season by having her get hit by a truck.

There's also The Curse of Minky Momo, because when that episode aired and every other time the last episode of a Minky Momo season aired - Japan was rocked by catastrophic earthquakes.

Ohhhhh thats way less pervy than the name made me believe it would be.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I like staying in on fridays too but I donít make a face like Iím trying to convince Friday that it has the biggest dick Iíve ever seen about it. Jfc.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

It's called the soyface

Ohhhh thatís what they were talking about in those lovecraft chapo eps. Well I donít like it.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Farm Frenzy posted:

its just a continuation fo the joker discourse which ended dissapointingly when the movie wasnt good or bad enough to be funny

Twice I have planned to see The Joker and twice I have decided not to for reasons like ďthe brown line was going to be five minutes lateĒ and ďI would rather clean my apartment a little more before company arrives.Ē Iíll probably watch it on streaming, unless it doesnít come to hbo and Iíd have to spend seven dollars on amazon to rent it.

This concludes my viewless review.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I've honestly never heard anybody give a poo poo at all about Renner or Hawkeye, not a lot of incentive to keep him and a big goodwill win if they just scrap it.

He sort of looks like Nathan Fillions puffy alcoholic brother, so I could see dorks taking up swords in his name.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What did he even do? Get drunk and threaten to kill himself? That seems kind of tame to ruin a career, even if it would get you banned from SA. I was expecting sex pest.

Then again, it's Disney.

I had no idea he was an actual suicidal drunk. Last thing I heard about him was that he had a personal him-centric social media platform that got trolled out of existence.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Dr. Killjoy posted:

domestic abuser whose ex (or soon to be Iím not sure) alleges he brought in prostitutes/sexslaves pf dubious age and a lot of weirdness involving him utilizing his kid daughterís name as the username of his private Snapchat as well as on a monogrammed bathrobe heíd make chicks wear

I... see

Are there any mega successful people that arenít comically evil? Like, every day I get a little closer to just being a paranoid conspiracy theorist and I hope that I donít end up being one of the racist ones.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Dr. Killjoy posted:

just get racist against Italian and Irish Americans and youíll be in the clear

I figure you donít get to choose and itís like a Pokťmon style evolution

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Pokťmons often have diverging evolutions!

I did one of those genetic tests, because Iím white so of course I did, and it said the spiciest my genes get is the 15% Swedish that snuck in there. Everything else is British and German and considering that most of Western Europe can only exhibit tolerance in the most facile, self congratulating ways up until the moment a minority causes any sort of stir in their culture, at which point they run straight to the nearest fascist while shouting ďwell at least weíre not fat!Ē over their shoulder in the direction of America, my hopes arenít high.

Hell, the fact that Iíve invented a new Japanese media based race science to figure out what sort of conspiracy theorist I would become isnít heartening either.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

Yeah, I literally don't remember any plot importance he's had. Like I imagine at some point he shot a villain with an arrow but like, gently caress if I actually know.

Tho confession time, I haven't watched every avengers so maybe he did some real poo poo in civil war

I think he was supposed to serve along with scarjos character as a human standing with the gods and showing that we still have utility through our ability to be highly competent. Last time I saw him in something even he was going ďlisten, I shoot arrows for a living, so why do you need me again?Ē

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Admittedly I havent watched an avengers movie since the one with ultron, he says I-donít-even-own-a-tvishly

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Iím guessing hawkeye survived the infinity war because the purple god didnít think it was worth taking the time to smush a guy whose main skill is aiming with what is, I assume based on the beer bloat in the face, a moderate hangover.

A similar principle is how I survived multiple acquisitions at one of my previous jobs.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Reverend Dr posted:

don't forget when bran hosed up hodor (thus making hodor) and also was the one that was controlling the mad king right before the kingslayer turned

bran was actually a huge negative on the whole world, but he just keeps that part to himself

My fave was that the constantly scheming lords went ahead and elected Bran who, to all outward appearances, appears to be brain damaged and distant, to keep them under control and Tyrion thought it was a super good idea.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

i wonder what the odds are that the anti-capitalist wunderkind lodge 49 will be picked up anywhere lol :(

Watching it now on Hulu. Dear god, how did I just hear about this?

Also, thanks.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

"It's the fate of the working class... or the middle class? Things are a lot more fluid here."

Seriously, how am I just hearing about Lodge 49 when it's cancelled? This is Terriers all over again.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Xaris posted:

gently caress i completely forgot Terriers. That was such a god drat good show that deserved another season.

i'll checkout lodge 49

Lodge 49 is terrific and season one is on Hulu in America. Crappy though that, unless they get picked up, we're only getting half the intended story. What's there is absolutely worth watching though.

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

there's a slim chance it'll go to a streaming service but not likely

it is totally worth it though, it portrays the lost working class in modern america and has really well fleshed out characters and super capable actors

also it has a character named beautiful jeff, who is more beautiful than you imagined

The running gag of Dud constantly thinking he's making these grand gently caress you gestures to his loan shark by getting deeper in debt with him is terrific.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

God I hate that this doesnít shock me

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

DIRTLUST, MISSOURI - Things took a turn for the worse early Thursday morning during the premiere of Dreamworksí The Princess & The Pea when overeager fans lost control of their chainsaws during a staged duel, beheading a six year old girl. Spokeswoman for Regal Cinema Group Elaine Winthorpe, when reached for comment, said ďEhĒ shrugged, and quietly held the shrug at its highest point while an assistant disconnected the Skype feed.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i'm like 6 monthd late to the party but i just saw the last avenfers movie and lmfao it is so bad. the infinity stones are magic mcguffins that can perform any wish the owner can imagine, except it can't return two very specific people to life because the rest of the avengers just decide "nope it's impossible" but nobody even notices that the vision doesn't get brought back. also you have to sacrifice what you love most to get the soul stone which makes sense w/ thanos & gamorra but makes no sense for jeremy & widow b/c neither one of them love the other and in fact they're both enthusiastically suicidal soooo . . . ? oh an apparently the hulk can wish everyone back to life AND impart in them the knowledge of the last 5 years BUT he can't also throw in a rider to just nuke thanos where ever he currently is? and octogenarian cap at the end implies nothing in the main timeline changes despite the fact that now he obviously won't exist to be cap in the early 2000s

time travel as a plot device is always shite but man avengers end game managed to handle it in the dumbest way possible

Hollywood big budget movies these days are more like a highly elaborate capitalist welfare system for computer touching visual effects artists. I am fairly certain that everyone who makes cgi for movies is the nephew or child of a film executive or high ranking member of the Chinese government and that explains the state of modern blockbusters.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Isnít the death of Superman story little more than an extended WWE match that ends with Superman dying?

What Iím saying is itís not nearly convoluted enough to be a superhero movie.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Mario shits & pisses in overalls, uses built in warp pipe to send turds and urine directly to blue brick pit.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

they're bad, but its okay, so are the original movies

I hadnít watched the original movies since I was in my late teens and decided to show my wife, who hadnít seen any of them, and man the dialogue was just so bad. She doesnít really care about spectacle so watching with her put me in the mindset of ďis this a good story well toldĒ instead of ďis the laser coolĒ.

I think that and the fact that the last twenty years of big budget Hollywood film have been so totally colonized by capitalist nerds who think wookiepedia is the height of creative expression kinda makes going back to their Kitty Hawk a lot less appealing.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

KiteAuraan posted:

Literally the only Star Wars film that doesn't have whack as gently caress pacing is Empire Strikes Back. All of the others have some fuckey editing/pacing issue(s). They of course exist on a spectrum, so like, Episode I is the worst because it has 35 minutes worth of actual content, while Episode IV is slow to start and meandering but recovers the landing. And Episode VI has that whole Ewok Adventure loving up the film's pace.

Empire was the movie where Lucas had the least control over during filming because Kershner kept a tight grip on the reins during production, which led to a solid, coherent picture. Lucas approaches filmmaking as an editor and so he concentrates almost exclusively on getting as much material as he can (from a distance), then goes back with sfx and editing to make the movie he wants, hence A New Hope (Lucas directed). After having his vision pushed back against during the filming of Empire (and Fox complaining that the dour tone of Empire led to a harder to market product) Lucas went looking for a fanboy director that A) knew nothing about fx and B) wouldnít buck when Lucas micromanaged him. He just wanted someone competent and obedient to do the boring work of getting him the footage he needed so that he could make his movie out of it in post. Marquand did what he was told, a movie was made, toys sold, the end...?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

And related to his directorial style, his writing style is ďbe bad at itĒ, which helps nothing.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

General Dog posted:

He asked Lynch to direct Return of the Jedi

Cronenberg too. I think he was asking anyone young and not in the directors guild and after none of them bit he settled for the directorial equivalent of Gerald Ford.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

mysterious frankie posted:

Cronenberg too. I think he was asking anyone young and not in the directors guild and after none of them bit he settled for the directorial equivalent of Gerald Ford.

Specifically, Simpsons Gerald Ford.

E

MARQUAND: do you like laser swords?
LUCAS: I love laser swords!
MARQUAND: do you like poorly realized metaphors for the Vietnam war?
LUCAS: I do!
MARQUAND: then how about you come around to my set and watch some laser swords and a poorly realized metaphor for the Vietnam war?

EE: dangit, ya beat me

mysterious frankie has issued a correction as of 19:19 on Dec 6, 2019

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Which one of the three sets of classic Star Wars films do you guys think are the best

The original because it reminds me of my grandpa who loved those movies. Then second place is the prequels because they remind me of babysitting my brother, but my now adult brother mainly just sits quietly strumming a guitar, waiting for his wife to tell him to start working on a new project she just thought up, which is depressing, so thinking about my grandpa and my youth is nicer.

Iím sure if I have a kid the newest trilogy or whatever is out then will be my new favorite and Iíll get mildly aggravated when other (presumed) adults talk poo poo about it online.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

AnimeIsTrash posted:

6 episodes in and Mandalorian is still a show about nothing. :thumbsup:

Mandalorian is my first interaction with the Disney Star Wars machine and it is extremely adequate. Then I watched the JJ Abrams movie and it was also fine. Then I saw the Rian Johnson movie and it was 152 minutes long and was like the editor and the director are parents having a waspy low key argument during a dinner party because they donít want the kids to know.

SPEAKING OF RIAN JOHNSON, I saw Knives Out this weekend and its great. He should never try to fit himself into a mega budget Shared Universe thing again.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Serf posted:

i liked that the shithead don johnson character quotes loving hamilton but is later (earlier chronologically) seen saying some racist poo poo

it was something like ďWe immigrants get it done! Itís from Hamilton! I saw it twice!Ē Then later heís going on about how America is for Americans and trump has some good points about immigration.

Also no one in the loving family can ever remember where Martaís family comes from.

Or the bit at the end where Ransom is ranting about how Marta getting the house isnt right because itís the family legacy and the detective is like ďuh, no itís not. Harlan bought it in the 80s from a Pakistani millionaire.Ē

On top of the great Agatha Christie style light drama whodunit itís also a hilarious send up of haute bourgeois npr liberals who think theyíre cultured because they consume the right media and own the right things coming face to face with a future that canít or wonít sustain the illusion anymore.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Atrocious Joe posted:

Dude has a drat successful resume. One to be jealous of. Which hit films / TV series did you make by the way?

I made Twin Peaks. Thatís right, bitch. Iím Stephen Steelbarg

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

SOMETIME LATER

GEORGE: now that my movie is out I can use it as a platform to spread the truth regarding the necessity of Socialism to the world.
MAN IN SUIT: truuuuue, but if you make the nice toys, there could be a ranch and nine figgirinos in it for you...
GEORGE: nine figgirinos? A man could buy a lot of neck reduction surgeries with that kind of scratch...

The irony is, by the late 90s he stopped getting the surgeries he sold his soul for. Kinda darkly poetic.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

etalian posted:

Things like Sonic or the Cats movie makes wtf are people thinking.

Does the upper management at some film production company think they would have a blockbuster on their hands when they signed off to create these films?

I love when these weird/middlebrow concept movies get a budget. Itís the best and I refuse to believe that there isnít a cohort of schlock lovers in the studio system, working diligently on people like meís behalf to get the trashiest, dumbest movies both greenlit and marquee budgets whenever possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

as the author of this post, I fully endorse death