Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

endgame features a brief scene wherein chris evans steve rogers uses the alternate dimension time travel bullshit to go back to when he was frozen in a glacier and hook up with peggy they have a long happy married life together as can be seen when rogers returns as an old man so theres no longer any need for him to play a role hes obviously gotten sick of save the world anymore because hes a good boy and deserves his reward

the ontological implications of this if you read the scene any way beyond the superficial are horrifying the obvious interpretation is that steve rogers usurped his own past identity under false pretenses to gently caress peggy the more charitable reading that steve rogers gave informed consent to peggy by explaining the actual situation is just too bizarre to contemplate since were expected to believe both that peggy is totally cool with leaving the steve rogers as she knew him in the ice to gently caress the future trunks version instead and also that she had no interest in using his knowledge of future events to prevent catastrophe

note that in either interpretation steve rogers himself does not seem to give a poo poo about what happens to anyone aside from himself and peggy the whole situation illustrates the super fickle ethics of endgame where the characters knowingly gently caress with events in alternate universes while giving no thought to the potential consequences for the people in those alternate universes because they dont seem to think of them as actual people with their own motivations and lives that persist beyond the existence of their own

supposedly wandavision and the next couple marvel movies are going to resolve this somehow most likely by transforming all the hosed with universes into a single closed loop although im not clear what any of this has to do with that recap i read that said the latest episode of wandavision was like the crucible except the accused really is a witch and she murders all the accusers with magic with the accusers themselves also being witches but to more broadly answer the original question this entire thought experiment comes to you courtesy of supermechagodzilla the poster whose gimmick is taking dumb movie plots to their extremely logical and stupid conclusions and the cined mods decided that this time he went too far

women are objects op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

who ever it was that wrote about the transformers movies and showed that not only the subtext but the literal text itself shows optimus prime to be the badguy but the bush-era ideology blinders that make movie goers not think about this was really funny & satisfying

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

O_O

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

The Cinematographer for Alien had never shot a feature before (but a ton of TV commercials). It’s easily one of the best shot films of the 70s. I’ve seen an anamorphic print and it’s a masterpiece of lighting and camera alone imo

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

DesertIslandHermit posted:

There are seriously 4 loving Marvel movies to come out this year. And then 4 more the next year. It's unbearable.

I am looking forward to Thor 4 and Guardians 3 but I'm tapping out after.

lol "They're making GBS threads in my mouth, pure poo poo, I do like the dog poo poo, and I plan to eat it. but after I eat all the dog poo poo I'm out for the cat and bird poo poo. Disgusting. how can they get away with this"

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I was loving shocked when I found out there was a sequel to Chinatown (and a third script that became who framed roger rabbit)

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

based

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Casey Finnigan posted:

idk I was like 6 years old in the 90s. I had always heard it told that Seattle grunge overtook classic rock and changed the landscape of music, or whatever.

the only songs I can distinctly remember hearing on the radio in the 90s were Killing Me Softly, I Believe I Can Fly, Mambo No. 5, Livin La Vida Loca, and the Every Breath You Take song that P. Diddy wrote about biggie smalls.

the cool thing about mambo no. 5 is that it's a german song created by a group of musicians there to destroy american billboard charts and it worked

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

those bebop things make me wish there was some good campy fun movies again

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I guess the superhero movies are all camp but with big score

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Goku is obviously coded Chinese

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Communist Thoughts posted:

hes meant to look like bob dylan imo

coded Minnesotan

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Isn’t he a really lovely dad?

yeah he knocked up a lady while he was married to another lady and then told that lady and his own daughter (from the second lady) to gently caress off forever

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Serf posted:

i was getting hyped for verhoeven making a new american movie and someone busted in with "yeah but hollow man was bad because it had the villain rape someone!" and its like, what an extremely stupid kind of criticism. the invisible psychopath violates people's privacy and then their bodies, imagine that! and verhoeven literally quit making american movies for decades over how much he didn't like hollow man, i think the guy can decide when to come back

verhoeven is the #1 "depiction is not endorsement fallacy" director b/c his anti-fascist movie was despised for being too pro fascist

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkOqiweYfwQ

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

btw that's a pro click

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

what dollys are cheap and accessible

fisher is still rental only

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

films are incredibly expensive and advertising is not part of the budget that's quoted, Xaris you don't know what your'e talking about

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

have you seen how many names are in the credits of a movie and imagine all those people are in a union and make 60k-100k per year

actors make tens of millions

writers and directors millions or so

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I think on a low budget Iatse film (under 15 million but over 10 million) grips make ~$500 per day as well as get hours&money toward healthcare and money for their union pension so overall maybe cost 700-800 per day to hire

a camera operator is making minimum $830/day if they can't negotiate more plus benefits

Hereditary shot for 30 days and cost 10 million

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

is this what they teach in film school

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

theflyingexecutive posted:

so the bit is this white guy and his Japanese wife (who doesn't speak English) open a sushi restaurant. he talks to her in very slow, loud, racist-accented English and she talks in very fast Japanese. the first scene with them leaves some ambiguity as to how much he can understand her but the next time he shows up, he has a new Japanese wife who doesn't speak English and admits he has no idea what she's saying. the protagonists don't critique or call him out for what he's doing, but the husband isn't portrayed as sympathetic either. it's made pretty clear that the wife is the competent one actually running the place, food and business wise, so the joke isn't exclusively the husband's accent like Mickey Rooney, it's more their weird dynamic as a couple and how uncontroversial his behavior was for the valley in the 70s

it's also two scenes total out of the whole film, one of the many vignetted stories

the joke sounds very much at the expense of the white guy

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

"I made a short film so I'm smarter than you about film" lol

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Want to talk to me about film, eh? Heh, well, I have a credit on IMDB so I think I might be a little out of your league

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

You think Jackson Pollock is good? Well I once filled in an entire denny's placemat with crayons so let me tell you something, buddy,

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

does anyone else think call me by your name is kind of weird and creepy looking back its basically indiana jones romancing whatshername from the first indiana jones movies but its the actual story instead of just backstory also its supposed to be romantic and also the parents think its kind of hot and are totally into it and also the aids crisis is going on so loving the grad student might have literally been a death sentence for the kid

no, next question

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I think it was Ernest R. Dickerson, A.S.C.

said something like "hollywood treats black success like finding a $100 bill on the sidewalk"

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

specifically about movies with black cast or about the black experience making $$$ but then Hollywood seems to always see it as a stroke of good luck rather than a viable repeatable business strategy

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

so the rumors are true

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

that movie sucked poo poo

poop culture indeed

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

in the beginning Iw as like "why not go to russian or chinese scientists their countries have nukes and space programs and could probably be a good back up plan and also would probably like to live"

but they went on TV to just uh... tell people? what are peopel going to do

anyway then USA bombed the Russia/China joint plan which was the first we heard of it which was the only salient point in the movie. that americans are so brainwashed that America is the world and would think being on TV is doing something

the media is the enemy

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I think let hollywood make the big movies with insane production value b/c other countries literally cannot and every once in a while I like to rewatch Jurassic Park or w/e

and let other countries make the 'good' movies. it's a great balance if you can withstand subtitels

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

hollywood, who invented the movie, making the most complicated films of all time with the only fully unionized and professional film industry on the planet, making films enjoyed by billions worldwide to pay hundreds of thousands of professionals and utilizing the world's top talent

me, an internet poster, "drat what the hell are they doing, they should stop"

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The movie was invented by the French, including movies with special effects.

wrong, tv commercials also have moving images and special effects but those aren't movies.

America invented the movie

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

if any foreign country could make a marvel cinematic universe, they would. but only one is capable.

it's like saying america should have made less jazz or something. it's one of the things that makes me goddamn proud to be american

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

"america should stop playing baseball so well and play cricket what is wrong with them?"

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

KomradeX posted:

Even as a kid into my teens reading Harry Potter iit bothered me that he ever actually got good at doing magic, who somehow floated by using basic poo poo

I had a Taiwanese friend point out that western super heroes just get powers one day (bruce wayne - rich, spiderman - bit by spider, superman - alien born as a god) and usually win by some dumb technicality (the villian was weak to ice!)

whereas asian super heroes work hard as gently caress to be the best (goku trains in a room where one day is 7 years or w/e, half the drama is this insane training regimine) and struggle to barely win on equal terms

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

it is a really good point that the way the good guys get their power and how they ultimately win is essentially "unfair" to the villain

whereas the reverse is true for Goku

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

LGD posted:

eh, that's an overgeneralization that doesn't even hold true for the cited examples - Goku generally needs to pump iron to get swole, but he's just as much an alien god blessed with absurd genetic gifts as Superman, and most iterations of Batman have him achieving his status quo through absurd amounts of training/planning/prep work

while the focus on hard work is absolutely a trope that's emphasized more in shonen, I think what you're talking about comes down more to typical story structure - is the fantasy centered on power level progression, or do they take place in an established status quo? if something is too strong for Goku he'll train and achieve the next level of SSJ or learn how do the fusion dance or whatever, while Superman doesn't generally "level up" so if he can't solve a problem with his pre-established gifts he needs to resort to strategy/trickery/etc. (which, given the level of writing involved very frequently does mean "dumb technicality")

but batman doesn't work out on screen for 7 episodes in a row maybe at best he researches something anyway the struggle is not to better one's self to overcome a challenge

of course that's also part of the monster of the week vs "to be continued" style serialization

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

inside? yeh I've been inside. inside deez nuts