Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

theres nothing explicitly wrong with that quote. though its pretty funny that he thinks the only two alternatives are a two-party system or a one-party system

the show actually shows pretty well how a 100% liberal society would look like. its just a capitalist police state with some wokeness sprinkled on top

the show kinda sucks though. mystery box poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Hodgepodge posted:

The fun thing about discussing the completely unambiguous depiction of droids as slaves in Star Wars is watching nominally left-wing people spontaneously develop pro-slavery rhetoric to defend what is clearly depicted as slavery.

the "pro-slavery rhetoric" is part of the text. this is why stories about AI almost all suck. you can't do serious commentary about human slavery and simultaneously make the slaves literal objects. if star wars is about slavery, it's pro slavery

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Hodgepodge posted:

Hard AI isn't likely in the near future. But do you really think Apple or Google will refrain from selling you a chair as a slave if they achieve it? That Tesla cannot make an artificial person to be your chauffeur is a disappointment to Elon Musk. And look, here you are, eager to hear why slavery is okay this time. Eager to defend it, to mock and deride anyone who says "maybe this thing with thoughts and feelings comparable to our own should not be a slave."

no of course not. the fact that the robots have to be anthropomorphized in fiction to even work as a "slavery" metaphor proves it. humans have enslaved and tortured non-humans since pre-history and arent going to stop any time soon. at least google could program your chair to not feel pain when you sit on it

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Hodgepodge posted:

In TFA, the only reference to the droid slave thing is when Rey is tempted to sell BB-8, but refrains due to her sympathy for the robot's desire to return to its rightful master. She also becomes enraged when she believes that Finn stole the droid.

Because she is a strong believer in rights- property rights.

so bb-8 is a dog

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Hodgepodge posted:

Let's go one step further though- why not create a being that wants to be a slave? That is distressed by the thought of freedom? A being that has every claim to equality, or maybe even superiority to us, except that we have prevented it from ever aspiring to know anything but it's place. I would say that if we ever create such a being, every ideal of equality, social justice, communism, whatever else- all those will be forever beyond our reach. We will no longer be humans, and instead will have become the master race.

but we are already the paternalistic master race. that wont change whether we destroy nature or save it

Hodgepodge posted:

Also, good job on arguing that cruelty to animals is just because we do it. Humans have historically tried to minimize the pain of animals they raise, even if they intend to eat them eventually. Of course, this has been necessary to survive until recently. But intentional cruelty towards animals is done out of sight. A person being known to inflict pain on animals intentionally is the most widely understood sign that they are a psychopath.

why do you assume that because something is normal it is just. also lmao at saying "intentional" cruelty done to animals is done out of sight or seen as a sign of psychopathy. reveling in the misery itself is done out of sight and is seen as a sign of psychopathy. the cruelty is very much intentional to save costs. any attempt at minimizing the pain of animals only comes after every other material concern is fully satisfied

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
has there ever been a more problematic glorification of slave mentality than toy story. smh

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Hodgepodge posted:

You presented the argument that cruelty towards animals is part of our intrinsic nature, which isn't surprising considering that you consider all humans a "paternalistic master race." Presumably, mentioning this as part of an argument against the idea that non-humans can be slaves means that you consider this just, since it is an example of our enslavement of being that can at least feel. Or did you bring it up as a non-sequitur?

its not our nature its the nature of power. we are masters over other species because we have power over them. we rationalize this by bringing up our superior intelligence. while i believe intelligence should play a role in agency, i dont believe its the most important part.

you say bb-8 is more worthy of agency than a dog because it knows engineering. i say the dog is more worthy of agency because its a mammal and not a walking computer built to serve. but it really only comes down to the needs and wants of the subject

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
star wars has nice aesthetics but is bad in every other way

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
the star wars prequels look way better than any marvel movie ive seen

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

LGD posted:

I only have limited recollection/interest, but my impression was that Abrams had essentially sketched out the arc of the three movies broadly but they gave the director creative control and Johnson basically went "lol no" and decided to take a nice long, indulgent squat over the punch bowl

this is definitely the best thing that ever happened to star wars

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

LGD posted:

nah, that only works from the standpoint of "gently caress star wars"

yes. its good

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
that people actually liked the force awakens and that jj abrams star trek movie makes me think you dont really need screen writers to make successful movies. that gpt-2 bot could do it

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
it didnt but like into darkness it felt like it was written by a human being that at least tried to say something and not a bot connecting random events and fan service

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
you have to compare it to the first one. the message of that one is that you shouldnt try to save civilizations because they might travel with you back in time to destroy your home world and force you to realize that its ok to have emotions even though you are a half robot

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
how do you put the force awakens in the same list as fury road and nightcrawler and look yourself in the mirror

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
i thought the first episode of the new season was really funny. the rest not so much.

but i guess im in the minority who couldnt care less about the overarching narrative or themes of comedy cartoons. i cant imagine actually caring about rick's qualities as a human being one way or the other unless its part of a joke