Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Squizzle posted:

im unsubscribing from cia

I would but their website is trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

get that OUT of my face posted:

the blackface in question is from an episode of The Sarah Silverman Program where she makes a bet with a black guy about who has it worse in society: black people or Jews. so to walk a mile in his shoes, she walks around in blackface, which, as you might expect, causes people to get mad at her. at the end of the episode you find out that the black guy is walking around as a Jewish caricature. it was a funny, if crude, take on race relations

but this is Vice, where context and the basic concepts of comedy don't matter because they have to find a problem with everything. i guess they'd rather watch a program like Insecure that spells poo poo out for them like the children they are

wait this is the skit people are defending? Jesus Christ People made it out to some harmless look at race relations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Jenny Agutter posted:

hey dude a word of warning: avoid season 3 of 30 rock. just trust me

why would I watch any season of 30 rock

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

comedy is subjective

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

from what I saw he also kind of means well which muddies it a bit

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

joker doesn’t really seem to be a comic book movie.

like it just seems to be a killer clown movie with no real connection to the joker besides the name

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

IT did well, maybe this is just the year of the killer clown

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

well of course they are mindless wastes of time they are movies.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

people needing their entertainment to say some message they already agree with broadly is way more annoying that like Jaws not having some deep message

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

though the problem is they are kind of ashamed of comic books so they change them to make them more “serious”. Which is lame because Thanos killing people to impress a girl is way less dumb then where we ended up. People are fine with weird silly poo poo

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I’m actually pretty sure that’s not true

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

get that OUT of my face posted:

didn't they do the same thing with Dark Knight Rises

nah Bane does use vaguely populism rhetoric include being against the law which made trials not a thing.

the movie then just quietly forgets about this

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Peanut President posted:

I turned it off when, after seeing people living in their loving car the first advice they give is "cut expenses"

you have a passenger seat, rent that poo poo out

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Freaking Crumbum posted:

do boomers even buy comics in significant quantities any more? i can't believe they're a big enough demo that you'd have any financial benefit for continuing to parrot their gently caress-up fantasy beliefs and talking points in modern comics

I mean they are still mostly written by boomers so I think their sincere

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

joker is apparently crushing box office numbers so expect this manufactured outrage a lot more often.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Kunster posted:

https://twitter.com/Massawyrm/status/1180171196182204416

Given that people are flipping their poo poo at this, people's standards today kinda got shot out today!

this tweet is correct and modern cinemas obsession with pseudo intellectualism sucks

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

the device between trash and art or whatever is such a useless bougie point of view.

like enjoying thing ironically back when that was a thing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

the more I hear about Joker it sounds heavy handed as gently caress.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean murder happens in kids movies as well. The only real divide is how explicit the killing is

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

that watchman series has Nixon serve five terms because he conquered and annexed Vietnam

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

what DC doesn’t give more freedom. Their meddling is part of why they just aren’t as successful.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I think it’s because they don’t really care about those shows and aren’t desperate to catch up with Marvel.

DC would be fine if they followed Marvels plan but they want to take shortcuts and it blows up every time.

that and letting Zack Snyder run rampant

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Serf posted:

probably a combination of astroturfing and media libs with incel hot takes. ofc now it seems like they were doing that to distract from the class war imagery in the movie

I don’t see why a movie about a mentally ill man leading a vague revolution should be the most lib movie

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Serf posted:

libs love licking boots so seeing cops get killed and beat down makes them feel bad

I mean yeah but even with the most sympathetic angle the joker is still a bad guy who is mentally ill.

like getting sad when a cop bites it in an action movie

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

people talk about black panther a lot here. but in like the Phil greaves way

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Farm Frenzy posted:

is it like a fight club type situation where the director might've meant one thing but the actual filmmakign suggests something else?

from what I’ve seen from reviews it’s pretty blunt and kind of shallow with its criticisms.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

to be honest I don’t think it’s that deep, a lot of people will give you a generic rich people bad but when you ask them if things should change they just shrug and say nah

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean realistically what does it matter whether something is remembered or not.

Most movies aren’t terribly memorable, even good ones

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Harley Quinn once blew up a buss full of children, been there,done that.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

dragonball is insanely creepy with Bulma yeah. Though it shouldn’t be a surprise Toryiama literally wrote a comic where the punchline was rape

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Farm Frenzy posted:

theres probably more good seasons of south park than there are of the simpsons at this point

there aren’t even that many good episodes of south park as good Simpson seasons

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

man who cares.

that poo poo only matters to dumb culture warrior idiots

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I mean it's the pop culture thread

it’s not even pop culture it’s just two insufferable sides yelling at each other

might as well bring those guys who get mad at Star Wars on YouTube

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

the idea that would won’t remember pop culture in the future is pretty funny. Like yeah the forgotten movie jaws

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Avatar has a hugely successful theme park and apparently some mountains in like China or something. You don’t need a moment.

Hell Harry Potter doesn’t have anything like that and it’s still going strong despite how hard Rowling is trying to kill it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

James Bond has never really had a good spy movie. They are more campy action movies.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Farm Frenzy posted:

extremely weird point lol. theres tons of crap that was huge in the 70s that nobody remembers

not really. I think the weird point is the one that is objectively incorrect personally.

functionally this whole argument is an argument for why past pop culture is good and new pop is bad using arbitrary metrics

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

yeah people watch friends but you will probably hear someone make a simpsons reference without even knowing it. it’s that ingrained

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

have you looked at the box office charts or the tv ratings or the bestseller lists from that era because the vast majority of it is poo poo that neither you nor i nor anyone else has ever heard of

that isn’t terribly relevant to my point unless you think I mean every pop culture article will be remembered which isn’t my point nor the discussion. pop culture will be remembered for rather arbitrary reasons and the idea that modern pop culture will be forgotten when past pop has objectively not is insane.

it’s old man yelling at clouds basically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

the idea that past pop culture was forgotten for being poo poo is the exact opposite of old man yelling at clouds

i would also like to take a moment to appreciate the irony of you making this argument with a simpsons reference as opposed to a sitcom from the last twenty years

I did not use a Simpson reference so I have no idea what you mean here.

the Simpsons reference was in relationship to Friends another twenty year old show.

both not forgotten. Weird Almost like popular pop culture just doesn’t disappear