Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I was informed recently that David S. Goyer, the writer of The Dark Knight Rises, also wrote Call of Duty: Black Ops 1 & 2.

some motherfuckers always trying to ice-skate uphill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

the most amazing thing about the mcu to me is how polarized people get over these films

i enjoy them as a long time comicbook fan but i recognize they are basically garbage pushed out for mass consumption. i'm not going to defend the artistic merit of these dumb movies but if you expect something deeper than popcorn action flicks you're probably the biggest idiot in this conversation. if you enjoy the big dumb superhero stuff go see them otherwise don't, you are missing anything important that's for loving sure

i guess it's hard to avoid talking about them a little since they are so ubiquitous but i feel their success has more to do with hollywood being creatively bankrupt outside of well executed slop (or poorly executed, looking at you michael bay and transformers) plus a increasingly key foreign market that frankly doesn't want anything else from us at least

the conversation to be having is why there exists such a vacuum that mcu has grown to fill it almost entirely

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's way easier to adapt a pre-existing popular property than to try and come up with something original yourself. I mean that in the purely commercial, profit-driven sense. It's not as if there's a dearth of creativity in Hollywood from writers or directors, it's just that Hollywood capitalists are so risk-averse they aren't willing to bet on anything that isn't already a franchise. Comic books have literally decades of material that can be mined, and tens of millions of people around the world who are primed to want to see it.

a lot of the better stuff coming out now and really since forever has always been low budget for this reason. then to be honest why would someone make a 150mil dollar film on something that isn't guaranteed to get asses in seats. it's simply an obscene amount for most productions and it's not surprising so many big budget films have failed to deliver

probably the biggest legit problem is the slow death of any film going experience that isn't mcu or transformers but because movie theaters have priced themselves out of films with a limited audience for the most part. luckily there are services still picking these things up so unless going to a theater to see cohen bro movies and similar directors stuff is a must just watch it at home on netflix or whatever. a theatrical release of buster scruggs would have been cool idk if there was a limited one but im just glad the movie was made and i saw it

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i am p hype for el camino, the trailers are good af

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

CharlestheHammer posted:

people needing their entertainment to say some message they already agree with broadly is way more annoying that like Jaws not having some deep message

not everything needs a deeper message than say being an interesting character study or trying to craft a well told story

not everyone with something entertaining to present has a meaningful analysis of the greater world necessarily

also peter benchley regretted writing jaws because he felt it hurt shark conservation efforts by terrifying men like donald trump into despising them, it was nothing more than a spielberg directed b monster movie that did gangbusters in the box office

Percelus has issued a correction as of 23:07 on Sep 25, 2019

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

gradenko_2000 posted:

same but for the two black caricature robots in Transformers

no it was still have been bad just not as racist

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

ashton kutcher has always been an insufferable dickhead

he is exactly the kind of idiot who thinks because he struck gold and got onto a long running tv series as a young man and never had to worry about money since and now can play "entrepreneur" while netflix and whoever else keeps throwing cash at him that anyone in debt or poverty just needs to work hard like him

also the ranch is arguably the worst thing netflix has made

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

get that OUT of my face posted:

i gotta be honest, i barely know anything he's done after That 70s Show and Punk'd. just that Steve Jobs biopic, and not even the better-known one

it would be cooler if he just went the Macauley Culkin, Daniel Radcliffe, or Elijah Wood route, where they have all the money they ever need and just do whatever the gently caress they want that isn't acting in movies

kutcher has been throwing his money into every garbage silicon valley startup imaginable and going on talk shows playing the part of "entrepreneur". uber is just one of many garbage companies he is heavily invested in

daniel radcliffe and elijah wood own, they pick quality parts and care a lot about their craft. culkin is cool i guess too, he seems like an actual person unlike kutcher and mila kunis hopefully recognizes her new beau is a total freak soon

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Dr. Killjoy posted:

you’re just miffed that Kutcher gets to go home to Demi Moore every night. I understand because so am i :(

you mean mila kunis?

also kutchers bff is scientologist and alleged rapist danny masterson

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i think disney and sony reaching an agreement to keep spiderman in the mcu is more important to most americans than whatever dumbshit is going on with trump and ukraine

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

think about how much money kutcher got for replacing charlie sheen in 2 1/2 men

i wish someone would throw me millions for making some of the most unwatchable poo poo ever filmed

also wood, radcliffe and culkin have actually made at least one good film

even if you hate all the harry potters, imperium and the first lady in black were p good, i never saw swiss army man but i want to

Percelus has issued a correction as of 18:23 on Sep 27, 2019

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

look if you millennials can't stay out of debt you need to do what i, world famous actor ashton kutcher, would do and negotiate a contract to get paid over a million each episode of a show filmed in one day on a sound stage while having the same dumb look on your face and only expressing the emotion of general befuddlement

bootstraps

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

marvel is making warhammer comics now but they should be making warhammer movies, come on disney start milking that ip for everything just so i can see space marines in a movie

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Echo Chamber posted:

Not to continue my "let me remind you I'm asian" rants, but I do sincerely appreciate Mindy Kaling's unsympathetic characters on The Office and Mindy Project, because they're nice reminders that the many second generation Asian Americans who came of age in the 80s and 90s, especially if their immigrant parents weren't working class, ended up spoiled brats whose commitment to progressive values is tenuous.

Many of them call the cops and gentrify. Some of them even voted Trump, despite being invested in the American melting pot narrative that Reagan championed.

Unsure how much of it is intentional, or if it's just comedians liking to play unsympathetic characters, period.

considering asian americans are the richest americans on average it wouldn't surprise me to find out of lot of them aren't exactly progressive especially on taxation

asians are the second smallest minority in america (after natives, that genocide was thorough) so despite many immigrating as working class there seems to be just as many rich, educated asian immigrants who immediately position themselves within the pmc class and naturally they are going to adopt the lovely lib politics of pmc whites

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

there is that one indian comedian who lives in signapore i think and jokes about how indian immigrants in almost every other nation are associated with jobs like doctor or engineer but in the nations sharing a border with india they are seen more like mexicans are in america, because it's hard to immigrate somewhere half a world away when you're poor af

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

vyelkin posted:

america set up an immigration system that privileged educated asian doctors and scientists as immigrants, then when they arrived they went 'lmao look all asians are doctors and scientists' and now that's a stereotype

the stereotype would have stuck to african immigrants if the pervading stereotypes about black people weren't baked into our culture already

but still it's easier for someone with like 20 us dollars to their name to border hop than get on a ship or plane which is why you see a lot of working class south americans coming here but not so many working class africans and asians

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

even africans trying to get into europe often end up drowning and the mediterranean is such a calm body of water compared to any open ocean that ancient greek and roman vessels could easily traverse one and completely useless in the other

immigration, like everything else, is so much easier when you are rich

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

get that OUT of my face posted:

i wouldn't say immigrants from asia are rich, but you have to have a chunk of change and planning in order to get here on stable footing. it's the same with anglophone caribbean immigrants, although most of them have the added wrinkle of being black, which can offset things

not all immigrants from asia are rich but a large portion are because there are so few asian immigrants in general that the ratio of upper middle class lower upper class asians to working class one is skewed compared to most ethnic groups in america which is why they are on average the richest group of americans

you certainly can immigrate to america if you are poor and asian but your experience will also be a lot different, many rich asian immigrants go straight to suburbia and for the most part can experience life as a pmc white person does albeit with some racism thrown in meanwhile a working class person probably ends up in an urban ethnic enclave struggling to make ends meet like every american immigrant group before them

which comes back full circle, if you live in the suburbs you are probably going to have lovely politics like most suburbanites

Percelus has issued a correction as of 19:19 on Oct 2, 2019

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

of course the billionaire class in america is almost solely white people so rich asian-americans are rich in the sense all pmc are rich, that they aren't up to their eyeballs in debt and wishing death would come

you already have the "too many asian ceos in silicon valley" attitude of steve bannon and the like showing white people are fine with asian-americans doing well to a point but don't want them entering the elite

Percelus has issued a correction as of 19:29 on Oct 2, 2019

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

if we are going to tie this asian-american derail to more pop culture, lets take the two biggest films of recent years featuring almost entirely asian-american or asian actors, crazy rich asians and always be my maybe

crazy rich asians is a movie about a pmc girl that meets a billionaire boy and makes that leap from upper middle class to disgustingly filthy rich, the dream of all lovely upper middle class social climbers

always be my maybe features a failson who has driven the same car since highschool. it is very relatable to me for that reason and also has a p great part for keanu

if you were born to pmc parents in the suburbs maybe being a failchild is the only path to save your soul

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

steve-o lends credence to my theory too

his dad is/was a ceo of some fortune 500 (nabisco maybe?) and he was educated in one of those private schools in england that produces tory psychopaths

he was an absolute failchild before jackass, failing out of college and being a stunt clown for a living

now he is rich and famous but still an absolute pauper compared to his former classmates

did being a failchild save steve-o from becoming an evil piece of poo poo?

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

captain america: winter soldier was basically him opposing what was a super drone program using helicarriers instead of standard drones before even finding out nazis in the government were planning to upload their own kill lists

p good movie for a mcu one i think, the elevator fight scene holds up as p baller imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqIBGEcKhGs

like others have said captain america has often been written as the embodiment of an idealistic america that never existed vs the one that does

it's also probably why he isn't hated by every non american too, even ho chi minh bought into the idealistic version of america before recognizing it was nothing but a lie

Percelus has issued a correction as of 15:23 on Oct 3, 2019

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Serf posted:

in the mcu cap is a guy who bought the propaganda about america hook line and sinker and then we gave him superpowers

in the first movie, not the second two :colbert:

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i'm not going to argue the mcu has good politics but the second movie is basically about drone murder and preemptive strikes while the third is idk but he goes rogue or something :shrug:

i'm standing by my take the second movie at least has a good message compared to most hollywood drivel that rather fellate drone operators as unsung heroes than question that drone murder is inherently wrong and needs to stop

Percelus has issued a correction as of 15:34 on Oct 3, 2019

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

the third captain america movie fails to do much because it has such a dumb convoluted plot with the bad guys plan requiring very specific reactions from each of the avengers that would have been impossible to predict that basically you can ignore everything but the airport fight scene

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Zerilan posted:

Winter Soldier is good.

Civil War has the kind of Nolan Batman issue of the solution to "government control bad" is that super powered vigilantes should be able to operate free of jurisdiction or accountability.

ya it tries to shoehorn that into the plot but really the plot is just a hamfisted way to setup the sweet airport fight scene and fails to ever reach a satisfying conclusion on any of the themes it briefly touches upon

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i read comics but i never read the ultimates i tend to only read things people say are good which rules out that series

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

tbf i read his killing of logan marshall green him just trying to make things easier for the public by no longer having a tom hardy doppleganger to confuse them

plus dopplegangers can't be trusted didn't anyone else play that bg1 dlc

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Serf posted:

y'know i used to think this too, but logan marshall green owns. upgrade in particular is fantastic. if we're eliminating tom hardy clones, we should get jai courtney instead

i've never once confused jai courtney with tom hardy but jai courtney is worthelss so if you want to kill him go ahead at least i won't have to suffer watching anymore movies with him

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

the best musical is les miserables come @ me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0SWaGfkPxA

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

actually the doomstar requiem is p awesome and gently caress adult swim for never greenlighting a last season and not letting frisky dingo run its proper course

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSgoefp8Ol0

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i want the his dark materials adaptation to be watchable and im hoping lin manuel doesn't ruin it

i never read the books and im not going to

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

do the protomen albums count as musicals because then thats the best one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJvq7z39YEw

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

cornel west has the best take on cultural appropriation i think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp2m4Et0soM

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Bro Dad posted:

im going to keep posting this and you cant stop me

cap really looks like elon musk in that bottom left panel

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

it is really dumb a guy who killed people and fed them to his plant gets the pollyanna ending, that is almost dexter series finale levels of bad writing

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i dont know much about tnc but i imagine working at the atlantic is constantly poisoning his brain and his politics will get worse the longer he stays there

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i'm making the next joker movie we're bringing back jared leto joker except this time we're doing it like borat i'm just going to tell jared he is a really special genius artist person and to go out and blow people's minds in public as his twisted sick joker

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Thor: Ragnarok must've been a fluke then because it's very much a Taika Waititi movie.

and the two guardian of the galaxy movies are james gunn films

i'm firmly in the superhero, and all summer blockbusters since forever really, are trash made to sell tickets not explore the human condition or examine society in any meaningful way

however as a human i do enjoy eating garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i remember i saw some famous artist speak at mason gross instead of regular class when i took a 101 course for fun and the art kids in the audience kept trying to ask the most pretentious questions and she wasn't having it but instead talked about how pulp trash like dick tracey inspired her and that people from the midwest drink from the bottom of the barrel culturally and enjoy it

sometimes you just gotta consume the garbage, it's more fun to talk about anyway

e- heck i'd argue refusing to consume trash media of any kind is absolutely a bougie affectation that reflects a disdain for the common man and their "lowbrow" tastes. well crafted high art serves an important function but there is only so much of it people can take in before needing some good old fashioned shlock

Percelus has issued a correction as of 12:56 on Oct 5, 2019