Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Rogue One rocks because it's about joining Al-Qaeda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Is Don Bluthe a fascist for doing Anastasia or is he a hero of the people for trying to stand up to Disney's animation hegemony in 80s and 90s?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Gonna make the incredibly LF argument that hand-drawn animation is more ideologically pure than CGI since it does not intend for any kind of realism the way digital does and therefore does not create a substitute reality of which to escape and not engage with capitalism in. Nah, not really, but CGI is so rigid and I'm so pissed that it's become the de facto choice of animation in the West. It's a big reason I like anime even though most of it is the same formula over and over with very little surprise to it or just outright dumb fetish poo poo. But drat does it move better in motion if it has enough budget than the latest Pixar crap.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Jenny Agutter posted:

lol a ton of anime is CG, they just space out the animated frames so its motion maintains a resemblance to hand drawn animation. it's exactly the technique used in enter the spiderverse. CGI is just a tool and it is much less of a threat to good art than, say, media consolidation

It's true, and a lot of the animation we consider hand-drawn like Beauty and the Beast and Lion King have a ton of CGI, but to go back to what Pener Kropoopkin said where he blamed Princess and the Frog killed hand-drawn, that's not really the case, it was a revival done for nostalgia of the hand-drawn animation studio that got killed after Home On the Range, and the all-in on CGI versus hand-drawn kept a lot of the hybrids we see work in anime and 90s Disney from sticking around when that was the medium at its best. And that is the irritating issue of capitalism, where for all this nostalgia in content, they abhor nostalgia in medium and make sure to kill mediums thoroughly every twenty years, be it CDs or hand-drawn animation or whatnot, to force consumption. Even these live-action remakes, while a way to keep copyright around, or also a way to generate pressure for parents to get their kids the newest Lion King instead of just showing their kids original. And from a purely humanist perspective, that's a hit to art because, as Lion King showed, some medium is the best for the content and it's not always the newest one.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

lion king is straight up royalist propaganda its lead character is an immature dickhead and the only tangible reason why he should take power is because everyones acting like scar caused the drought

well, yeah, it's ripping off of shakespeare but forgets that hamlet kinda deserves to die in the end

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

This is gonna be a dumb rant, but here goes: I've been struggling a bit with reading habits for awhile, well before Trump came into office, but the advent of Russiagate and seeing how the literary sphere and even literary spaces like bookstores completely cave to this alternate universe where Trump is a singularity has really depressed me and my ability to accept any author's authority. Watching writers I used to read use their blogs to say Hillary would never have launched missiles at Syria even as Hillary did the day before, or even just trying to read something like The Nix just puts me in this lovely mood where I feel like I'm interacting with a culture completely out of touch with reality. I even enjoyed an Asimov's story awhile back even though I cringed because it was obviously all about fearing those nasty Putin bots on the social media (through the frame of pretending they're aliens, of course), and it's so frustrating. There's good poo poo and good essays, of course, but it's difficult to enjoy fiction as a whole and I don't feel like just devoting myself to ideology and reading only China Mieville or whatever. There just seems like heavy gatekeeping of writers in general because they're generally college educated and generally been trained to shy away from outright hating the rich and I just feel like poo poo half the time when I peruse a literary journal. At least Kelly Link's "The White Cat's Divorce" was good in SF&F recently. But poo poo.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

the device between trash and art or whatever is such a useless bougie point of view.

like enjoying thing ironically back when that was a thing.

one hundred percent correct

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Freaking Crumbum posted:

joker was honestly "meh". the batman elements were so minimal it feels disingenuous to call it a superhero movie. the biggest narrative inconsistency for me was when phoenix sticks his hands into kid-bruce's mouth and kid-bruce just stands there and lets it happen with no reaction. i don't know a child alive (especially a rich pampered child) that would just stand indifferently while a random stranger tries to stick their fingers in their mouth

Joker correctly diagnosing Bruce as on the spectrum is a good thing, as for as I'm concerned, since that's probably the only way good way to portray Batman going forward lest you just have people pretending he's a libertarian shithead instead.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Also, hot take, but I feel like Wonder Woman is a better film than most people give it credit for because in context of multitudes of genre films accepting war as a necessity, it at least somewhat critiqued the idea and necessity of war even as it tried also to make a contingent of the Germans proto-Nazis too, which wasn't great. But there was at least some hankering for peace as opposed to, "What's important is vanquishing our enemies, hoo-rah." And it even felt somewhat critical of the idea of personality politics being the center of resistance efforts with the twist being killing one dude doesn't solve the whole thing (though it again kinda undercut it by killing... one other dude, but hey, it was the Allies war-profiteer, so progress). It has issues, but it's one of the best DC films, and in some ways more tonally consistent than Shazam.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

It's funny that Hollywood decided we needed a new Joker when Trump is the most Jack Nicholson Joker of all time.

We're living in the Burton Batman films, better distract from that!

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Holy poo poo, y'all, go see Parasite.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

The thing about saying superhero films aren't "cinema" is that it starts getting into genre ghettoization as a whole, which gets into even stupider arguments about whether Get Out is horror or cinema, etc. It's an argument that leads into aristocratic thinking that rewards crap. Sure, Scorsese's films are good, but are many of the films that are within his genre of crime thrillers and such, are they equivalently good or even worthwhile? Is Gotti cinema while Winter Soldier is not?

It annoys me more because it's similar arguments that have been used to marginalize animation, one of the coolest cinematic effects we've ever done, or comics, a fascinating art form that has produced Persepolis and The Epileptic and all other sorts of things, being reduced "oh those are for children." Which makes no sense.

The Marvel films are very homogeneous and very focus-grouped and, particularly pertinent to this thread, mostly technocratically neoliberal, but they are, they do communicate ideas about what heroism is, the relationship between technology and surveillance, etc. In short, they have value, even if not the same value as Last Temptation of Christ, but probably just as much if not more than some glowing biopic of Margaret Thatcher or whatever the gently caress. Like, I can sympathize with James Cameron saying, "Holy poo poo, could we make another kind of movie." Less so with trying to gatekeep genres. High art is frequently poo poo and there's plenty of gems in low art. And worse, making such a point of that leads to poo poo that tries to overcompensate and be meaningful cinema like Batman vs. Superman, which has far less to say about anything than any Raimi Spider-Man.

I don't know. Maybe I'm the nerd who needs to be yelled at. But I think it's important to keep definitions of art as liberal as possible, lest you end up calling anything you don't like smut, y'know.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Kevin Feige just got put in charge of Marvel Comics as well as the studio and buddy I wanna die

What the gently caress happened to Cebulski then? Also, poo poo is Marvel going to be unreadable in the future, there's never going to be an adventurous story done ever again.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I was about to say, I didn't even know who Marvel's CEO was before, but I knew they moved one of their old Editors in Chief to a creative position at one point, guess it was Quesada.

I've just hated how much the movies have dictated that the illusion of change be hampered on more than usual in terms of keeping characters at a set status quo. That and weird-rear end tie ins like the time Mystique developed scales for no loving reason other than she had them in the movies and then the comics had to forget she had them or how homogeneous all the character designs have been to be in the ballpark of the actors when there used to be a lot of interesting takes on characters.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

what is the ideology of touhou

Probably cryptofascism.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

no comics are good

fun unrelated fact, sluggy freelance still updates

That guy said he was going to end that comic three years ago.

Naturally, it was all a ruse.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

This is the stupidest loving feud imaginable, made all the more stupid by the fact that social media keeps advertising it to me because it knows I'm a loving geek and therefore assumes this is the most singular thing I could possibly be invested in when holy poo poo do I not care at this point.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Weirdly social media does not advertise it to me despite the entirety of my Twitter being me howling about comics

it's terrible and makes me feel like poo poo, like i have created a content hell of my own making

They're also advertising all the new Hickman X-Men stuff at me though so it's not all bad.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

I think the slave goblins in harry potter and the robots in star wars both fall into the "funny slave" category where you're supposed to know they're a slave, but it's funny or cute and not that a big deal / serious.

The difference being that original Star Wars isn't all that moralistic, with Han doing premeditated murder, Obi-Wan lying his rear end of, etc. Harry Potter meanwhile thinks it's giving *life lessons* which are really about being a theater kid and hating Tories but never questioning power differentials between, say, wizards and regular people.

I remember the first pages of Harry Potter I ever read was Harry abusing his powers loving with his aunt or whatever, and it felt like such a lovely misunderstanding of what made Roald Dahl work that it completely lost me.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

I don't actually know when gits was released, tbh I don't really check into stuff like that before watching stuff

It feels like an 80s cyberpunk thing tho so I'm gonna say it is even if it was released in the 90s

Yeah, it was 95, but Akira came out in the 80s and holy poo poo does it still look absolutely amazing considering the animation of the time.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

CIA bad

E: this was also the message of the second season of Star Trek Discovery

"CIA bad but War on Terror very very good."

That film tried, but it was so loving hamstrung by its own cynical Sorkin politics.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

If The Shining is about this being a demon cracker nation, Doctor Sleep is about how we're going to destroy this demon cracker nation. I've been chanting, "We're going to win," since I saw it.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Black Widow will not even be close to the worst film I've seen in theaters that I've seen and enjoyed ScarJo in (because my friend thought The Spirit would be a good idea back when we were teens).

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Everybody hates von Trier, but there's not much more CSPAM than this Melancholia clip, surprised it's not been mentioned in anyone's best of. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb69TMISL_Y

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

thankfully the show got popular at the exact same time it got bad

i cant think of another comedy show with such a sharp decline that wasnt due to cancellations or w/e like futurama

Community.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

i taste copper help

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

foobardog posted:

white people should have never been allowed to do rock and roll

The best part is all those songs came out in the past four years, lmao.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Grevling posted:

It is sort of right but it's in no way good or acceptable.

It doesn't even make that much sense because actual mythological characters are used in comics, so they're... what exactly?

Which just hits the problem of, "Do we say that comics are a religion?" In which case, what is canon? How shall we worship? Is it therefore permissible to kill whoever offends the gods by blaspheming their names?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Helsing posted:

Of its many crimes I think the most offensive thing postmodernism did was to give several generations of grad students permission to write extended treatises on how their favorite comic book character or pop song was actually a profoundly subversive challenge to capitalist hegemony.

I may have written a paper in college doing a compare/contrast of Falstaff and Iroh from Avatar: The Last Airbender using the double nature of Bacchus as key, so I can't really comment against that.

Far difference between having fun with that and then using that as an excuse to rattle off dates from Harry Potter as if they really happened though. There's a difference between deep analysis and religion, IMO, and with more people having read all seven HP books and none of the Bible, you see more and more this worrying deification of pop culture.

Grevling posted:

Ancient Greeks also liked to tell stories and stage plays about their mythological characters with variations on their portrayals, for example the Oedipus Rex myth we know being Sophocles' version with older versions likely having Oedipus just become king and gently caress his mother without being bothered by it. It's not clear to what extent much these stories and plays had "religious" significance, and certainly they didn't in the way we think of religion. I think they're similar, they believed in indifferent gods and capricious forces of nature and we believe in the same just that it's free market forces and the hero figures reflect that. It could never be a perfect analogy of course but it's not completely off.

Oh yeah, certainly, and Ulysses was either a fun guy or a dick and even worthy of hell depending on the authorial interpretation, but... I dunno. You could ignore various myths if they didn't fit your canon, while nerds increasingly demand stuff like all of Game of Thrones' final season be refilmed or Last Jedi struck from the record, which implies something far less casual in their enjoyment and far more spiritual. This also gets into why people demand moralism from pop culture more often, which rises the even more alarming note that they see all the corporate centerism of modern pop and think... that's good and worthy of emulation.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

My favorite part is I don't think it's gonna stop and people will increasingly be demanding that you treat fandom identity like religious identity

Whether you like TLJ is already decided along political lines despite it just being mediocre neither-here-nor-there Star Wars, we're absolutely already there.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

The problem with LTJ is it introduces no new genres the way the prequels did, like, Attack of the Clones sucked but at least is a detective story, while TLJ does the same thing TFA does where, "It's like the original... but larger scale!" The Luke stuff and salt planet were good, but Planet Monaco was a more heavy-handed Cloud City and watching the film attempt to wrangle with social justice in a universe with droids just felt incredibly bad. It's okay for alien societies to be alien, they don't have to be relateable for us to be invested in them. But everyone I know likes/dislikes it along party lines because consumerism is an identity now. It sucks so loving much.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

get that OUT of my face posted:

these two tweets aren't 100% related to this talk about "consumerism as identity," but it's close enough to be relevant
https://twitter.com/BUSSCRO/status/1211320791561900033

if people are so alienated by capitalism then one would think that they'll eventually become more radicalized against it, instead of playing by its rules and doing what it wants more and more with each passing year. perhaps millennials aren't as idealistic and progressive as we're made out to be

i can say with more certainty that our culture in these formative adult years was lamer than that of gen x and boomers

Yeah, this is more a sociology tangent, but the way I've heard millennials talk about relationships... well, more how all generations now talk about relationships is through exclusively marketing terminology, including calling friendships "networking" and talking about intentionality and a bunch of other buzzwords. The real word element is how that hits religion, where I've seen generally good dudes worried they're not meeting some salvation quota with their ministries, as if something like religious conversion is a marketing process instead of an organic one. Every single bit of our thinking, even supposedly separate areas like friendship and religion and love, has been utterly twisted and warped by capitalism.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Big Mad Drongo posted:

:same:

Going to ask for more grisly details because this sounds like your friends are actually a sub-mediocre improv sketch

The only thing that actually happened with my friends was the religion thing, which was legit distressing to hear, everything else is from overheard conversations (though I feel like I see this poo poo on television too in reality shows). Of course I live in a hugely STEM area with a bunch of yuppies so it could be more a regional issue than anything. But even stuff like calling your loved ones "partners" in stuff like that... I get that's supposed to be getting away from the gender norms of boyfriend and girlfriend, but it also feels very... bureaucratic. Maybe I'm over-analyzing things.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

People go out of their way to "interpret all the secrets" of Harry Potter, performing more analysis of Snape's actions than an English major would, to the point where I can't help but be reminded of Sunday School class. It seriously a foundational and even religious text for some people, they're actually trying to find some hidden higher value to it (though it still seems to be copying Western versions of Christian values, so it might be acting as more a reinterpretation of the Bible than its actual replacement).

But the point that Star Wars is just an expression in aestheticism sounds right.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I don't really hate disingenuous posters like SMG, but it's weird that people would be acolytes of him, it'd be like if a bunch of people followed around Kawalimus in TFF and insisted along with him that the Ravens are Actually poo poo this year.

Then again, I follow getfiscal on Twitter, so I shouldn't judge.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Serf posted:

i mean, at the end of parasite ki-taek does what he needs to do. the tragedy is that ki-woo doesn't learn from him

The film even kinda makes fun of liberals with, "Yeah, you wanted to believe that was a flash forward, but it wasn't, and you had to have known that, you moron," but Obama, etc. al didn't get that or just view it as a simple tragedy where all sides are wrong instead of as a direct analogy.

Also, Paranoia Agent chat, best anime ever IMO.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Utter dogshit, and I love literary fiction, but also, you're complaining about your boyfriend reading Le Guin and Mieville. Not Asimov and GRRM, no, Le Guin and Mieville. Get over yourself. But also, love the part that wanders into claiming literature has always been the field of the feminine after going on about how men had too much of a voice in the field for awhile, well, which is it, men dominate this industry or women did, make up your mind. I love the thesis is basically, "It's good that men write less than women now, but also, men should read our novels more, all consumption, no competitive production." Complaining from an ivory tower and a half.

Probably Magic has issued a correction as of 18:49 on May 18, 2022

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

loquacius posted:

lmao

fuckin next-level pretentiousness

reaction 1: do not date a columnist, or a story about what a dipshit you are for minding your own business will inevitably go viral

reaction 2: hey somebody remind me what Le Guin's first name was again???

This entire article is just getting mad your boyfriend doesn't want to read Jane Austen, and you have to dress it up as, "Ah, boys just don't like literature, don't you know?" and then hope no one reads your article and just assumes your beau plays Call of Duty and watches MCU films all the time.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's not actually a contradiction. (Feminine) men dominated the writing side, but were never the primary audience.

I don't know, it was really drummed into me in college how difficult the confessional women's movement had in finding a voice since women were neither the producers nor the audience for stuff like Whitman, that poetry at least was very much something men did for other men and maybe sometimes men would perform as audience for women but not for women. It just felt like the article didn't really tackle that because it's a difficult thing to tackle, especially if your thesis is just a reductionist "men aren't sensitive, but women are." More like literature was the only outlet for men to be sensitive, exclusively, and even then, through an impersonal way like appreciation of nature or falling in love and not something vulnerable like heavy depression or resentment. My take, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

She names five or so authors her boyfriend's into and only one of which she's in, hmmm, interesting. I bet if she tried to get him into Toni Morrison or whatever, he'd happily do so, she's just complaining about one author that's received his indifference.