Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1178709599941251078

bob iger somehow becoming a hero of good corporate governance has got to be the weirdest talking point of the entertainment press the dude is literally just a rebranded eisner whose strategy for the most part has just been a more extreme version of all the poo poo eisner got canned for

Disney already owns all media it would not surprise me at all if they break down the subtext and just start openly owning the government too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

But yeah caps whole thing is he represents what America is supposed to be, and he truly believes in that ideal deep down, and that's why after definitely not Nixon blew his brains out following not Watergate he quit being cap for a while

Also all the other times

I feel like every cap America incarnation has at least one part where he goes against America and all I can say is that it is incredibly appropriate that america's avatar so frequently opposes it

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Percelus posted:

the best musical is les miserables come @ me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0SWaGfkPxA

When I was a kid I saw a high school production of less Miserables and jal vean Jean was a black kid and let me tell ya, that casting choice was infinitely better then any professional production I've heard of

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The original blade movie is fantastic trash

The mcu movies are just poo poo

i liked thor 3 and the guardians movies but neither of those really engaged with the larger meta-story as much thinking about it

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Farm Frenzy posted:

is it like a fight club type situation where the director might've meant one thing but the actual filmmakign suggests something else?

wait, am I supposed to think toxic masculinity is good

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I can see how Batman could work better if he were explicitly doing community policing and very pointedly refuse to work with actual cops because acab. This would require him not to be a rich guy so he'd actually have a community to live in tho

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

They've pulled back from the actors likeness thing by and large. Iron Man's the last hold out and that one makes sense

Didn't Samuel l Jackson ask marvel to make him Nick fury in the comics so he could be the character in any movies? I distinctly remember this happening but I don't know if I'm having a Mandela effect moment

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Has Hawkeye even ever done anything, just get rid of the character he's so uninteresting

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I'm the movies? gently caress no

Yeah, I literally don't remember any plot importance he's had. Like I imagine at some point he shot a villain with an arrow but like, gently caress if I actually know.

Tho confession time, I haven't watched every avengers so maybe he did some real poo poo in civil war

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

nah hawkeye in the mvoies could be interesting but it would require the movies themselves to be interesting

like hawkeye is a neat character to explore because he's the only one on the avengers who's just a dude. like, he has no superpowers, no suit of armor, he's just really loving good with a primitive weapon, and he's good enough that he hangs with thor and cap and iron man

in the movies tho

who cares

Hawkeye should have been like mcguyver as an Archer or something. Not even joking I think it'd be interesting if he had been not like a genius or anything but more like quick on his feet thinking of a plan. Just, he needs something in addition to the archery, that can't define him.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

what the hell how did we get back down to three bars again

the annoying thing is i was surprised when the thread was at four bars but it had them so long now im wondering which particular shitpost brought us back down to three

I vote threads I like 1 bc I don't want to post with the kind of idiot who actually thinks a threads rating matters

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ardent Communist posted:

I haven't seen it, but i watched that King movie on Netflix, and you've got to give Robert Pattinson props for going from the guy from twilight to a pretty good actor. He's character was so close to over the top in that movie, but still good.

I got dragged to twilight back in high school and tbh Robert was pretty good in it, it was enjoyable to see someone on screen who didn't want to be there as much as me

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I don't really like star wars tbh

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I don't really like star wars tbh

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ikanreed posted:

Which 1980s science fiction or fantasy do you like, then? Back to the future?

Ghost in the shell

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I don't actually know when gits was released, tbh I don't really check into stuff like that before watching stuff

It feels like an 80s cyberpunk thing tho so I'm gonna say it is even if it was released in the 90s

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Probably Magic posted:

Yeah, it was 95, but Akira came out in the 80s and holy poo poo does it still look absolutely amazing considering the animation of the time.

I loving love Akira, it's def a top 5 movie for me. The animation is stunning. I do feel the story is good but a little rough, especially the ending which I always feel a bit rushed by. Not a big problem, a lot of anime feels that way. Serial experiments lain is my fav and it's entire plot basically happens in like, the final 4 episodes of 13

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I thought Riki-Oh was just cool prison stuff and had no idea how insane it gets.

You are all free now!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Why won't they just adapt the death of Superman if they need some kind of slightly dark take on him to get a movie green-lit

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

mysterious frankie posted:

Isn’t the death of Superman story little more than an extended WWE match that ends with Superman dying?

What I’m saying is it’s not nearly convoluted enough to be a superhero movie.

i never thought about it but actually yeah it basically is, whoa

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

i honestly liked how straightforward a story it was, it added to the urgency that supes honestly didn't have time to look into why the crisis was happening

though i understand a lot of dumb backstory got filled in after the fact

it'd work much better as the multi-part climax of a series or season than a stand-alone movie

honestly i think if they pitched it as a sequel to the old christopher reeves movies it'd work, the only problem with that being only like, 5 people would watch it

for being a story about killing a bunch of supes pals and supes himself it is still pretty goofy and i dont think man of steel superman would fit with it at all

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

baffling when perhaps the most famous non-rorsharch line from the original comic is a capper on ozymandias monologue

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ScrubLeague posted:

hello i posted this in the trump thread and i'm sure there's zero people who read this thread but not that one

i saw fury road getting so many #1 of the decades and tried to make my own list and guess what the correct answer is fury road

https://medium.com/@originalscrub/best-media-of-the-2010s-1ad7e10a9e0c

I want to make it clear, I do not read the Trump thread, and will not

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

https://twitter.com/BBW_BFF/status/1202152291542810624?s=19

That's forums poster mister bibs in the screenshot

Tbis doesn't even make me angry, just incredibly sad someone could believe this is true

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ElNarez posted:

nothing is sacred but also the star wars prequels are good, actually

they're bad, but its okay, so are the original movies

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i am the only person who likes season 3 of rick and morty, and im convinced its because its the only season that actually just comes out and says rick is a piece of poo poo you shouldnt want to be like

and dont worry i know the messaging is murky in places but i feel like at least its the closest to being anti-rick

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
that being said, it failed as comedy lol, like spectacularly

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
The only bit of game of thrones I've seen is the part where the dragon attacks the city and the acting is painfully bad in that scene so they don't even deserve that imo

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

the bit where Starlight is raped is toned down and the one character who does it gets me-too'd and demoted. and then later he gets assaulted himself.

https://screenrant.com/boys-amazon-series-improve-starlight-controversial-comic-moment/

I actually don't like this fully, like I'm cool with him getting demoted but using sexual assualt as a punishment for sexual assualt rubs me the wrong way

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Doesn't Watchmen have an episode of The Outer Limits in the background which is basically the same twist as the plot?

Yeah, Moore in an interview basically said the episode came on when he was trying to think of an ending and he kinda went "hey that's cool I'll do that"

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The preview clip of the new Star Wars is a perfect encapsulation of how Whedonism is ruining media because for a brief second when the stormtroopers started using their jetpacks I felt like oh this is a cool scene with an interesting setup & execution that could actually be exciting. Then they undercut it by doing the "they can fly now?" joke. Being self-aware and ironically disengaged just makes it impossible for a work to have any sincerity because it just reduces it to a massive in-joke. Running things on that kind of meta-level for something that's supposed to be a self contained action adventure just ends up being cynical.

jet troopers have existed for years so its not even a clever wink wink nod thing

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

No j want to see wild British poo poo get adapted so my actual choice is Cradlegrave, a lovecraftian horror story set in a council estate that is as much about the horrors of the inescapable nature of poverty and the crime that it breeds as it is the weird Cthulhu poo poo

Adapt that one Alan Moore comic that's a bunch of fairy tale princesses talking about loving

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

youtube decided to recommend i watch a bunch of 90s letterman musical guests and it lead me down a rabbit hole until i was watching the offspring who i am reminded are the least cool punk band ever, they have songs about not smoking weed and calling the cops

That's not really punk so much as angry-sounding rock

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Farm Frenzy posted:

cant wait for about two to three years from now when the standard contrarian take is that the last jedi is the best star wars movie of all time

Glad to see I'm ahead of the curve in that regard

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

arent the second and third movies sequels by definition

gotta admit that an american pie reference takes me back though its the movie series i never watched even though nobody could shut up about it back when i was younger id guess its influence on american culture has been pretty heavily underrated

Its influential in the sense that the main character will never be remembered as anything other then the dude who hosed a pie once

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

the Stiffler clan carries more cultural clout than the protagonist of American Pie

I sincerely remember nothing about the film's other then dude loving a pie. I don't even remember what stiffler looks like (or any of the other interchangeable bland white protags, like seriously if that dude didn't gently caress a pie I would not remember his face at all)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

duz posted:

Oh good, so you don't remember the scene where a guy grabbed a random solo cup and accidentally drank cum. How can I get that memory out of my head?

This post makes it seem like drinking cum is bad, and I cannot abide such a wrong opinion

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

duz posted:

mixed with beer and drank accidentally?

Dont knock it til u try it

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Atrocious Joe posted:

Breakfast Club is also one of the big Chicago-filmed John Hughes movies that all have no Black main characters. I think the only major non-white character in any of those is a racist Asian stereotype. They were all filmed in some very rich suburbs too.

I can't fully explain my thought process but this post is really making me wonder what a John carpenter directed teen sex movie would look like

I think maybe I've had too many beers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Hmmm...yeah that checks out