Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Zerilan posted:

Listening to the Citations Needed podcast ep on the West Wing, and the clips played of it in the ep is the first I've anything directly from it since the show came out at a time when I was young and did not give a poo poo about political drama, and for being supposedly a good guy in the show's eyes, it was surprisingly just how vile of a person Toby Ziegler (who both clips focused on) sounded like.

He'sa piece of poo poo. Check out the Worst Wing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

get that OUT of my face posted:

macauley culkin's big thing right now is guest starring on YouTube channels. he was on Angry Video Game Nerd and Red Letter Media

Yeah, he owns.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Oh gently caress I know what this ones called gimme a minute

It's one of his awful avatar books like black summer

Edit no hero

Black Summer was alright.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Assassins is a pretty good musical too.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

I just watched dead or alive(1999) and I think I have to rethink all of cinema now

I still love the dumb subplot with the wrestler dad tyring to be supportive of his daugther while trying to beat the poo poo out of her for the tournament.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

MizPiz posted:

Different Dead or Alive

How humiliating.

I should have known because DoA is very mid-2000s trash, not late 90s.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Doctor Strange should have been directed by Jodorowsky.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

homestuck is back. what does this mean in a post-trump world?

Obama is canon.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

im still wondering about c3pos red arm not in the sense i actually want to look it up but in the sense of did anyone actually buy whatever dumb tie in product that was obviously promoting

Yeah, lots of people bought Metal Gear Solid V.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

it turns out the solution to oppressive monarchy is to simply democratize it and elect the right monarch, who knew?

After all, nothing bad ever happened to the Holy Roman Empire.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P52G4Kyq5M

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

refleks posted:

who the gently caress doesnt like dougie. i will fight them

Dougie's wife owns more.

At least so far, I haven't finished the season yet. Borrowed it from my local Library.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i'm positive most poo poo libs would 100% support a return to monarchy as long as the "right" person were in charge, regardless of how much they might say otherwise. all their wailing and gnashing of teeth over trump is just because he doesn't share their world view, not that he's actually a narcissistic solipsist in the dementia stage of syphilis

the myriad ways they venerate musk or jobs or any of the other scions of silicon valley is my proof

Louis Napoleon Bonaparte.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Serf posted:

the only good thing the old eu ever produced was kotor 2, and by extention kotor 1 i guess. chris avellone has the one trait that makes for a good star wars writer: a hatred of star wars

We also have the hilariously stupid Glove of Darth Vader books.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The System MAstery guys are doing a podcast on the old Star Wars EU where they slowly read through it, it owns.

https://systemmasterypodcast.com/category/expounded-universe/

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Percelus posted:

not really

just the fact everything is shot with green screen with no practical effects and minimal actual scenery alone makes it unwatchable

not even touching the script, the acting, etc

There's more miniatures and practical effects in the Prequels than in the Sequels. And in the Originals, actually.

They went for a shiny golden aesthetic for the shiny golden age.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Hodgepodge posted:

It's rather pathetic that the studio would go that far to remove the trans aspect of a suppporting character who is trans in a fashion which is abstracted somewhat through the film's central metaphor. But not surprising that the end result facilitated a safer, more generic misreading of the film.

It's also worth noting that The Invisibles is widely cited as an influence on the film (not sure how accurate that is since I also recall something about Morrison being a shithead about it). I'm sure you're familiar with it, but for those who aren't, one of the main cast is explicitly trans.

The original website listed a bunch of inspirations, including Mage: the Ascension.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

rape will never happen in star wars

Not with that attitude.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

WampaLord posted:

He said the only reason RLM didn't like the prequels was that they were "Not Their Star Wars" and not due to any flaws inherent in the films

That classic gif is Jack's response.

The closest to being right MisterBibs has ever been.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The rlm videos are pretty good at explaining why people don't like the prequels. They're pretty bad at actually analyzing them.

Just accept you don't like the prequels becaus ethey didn't live up to the hype and/or give you what you wanted and move on with your life. When someone says they like the prequels or that they'r enot that bad? Just shrug, don't go acusing them of loving gaslighting, what the gently caress is wrong with you?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

KiteAuraan posted:

Gundam is the better 40 year old sci-fi merchandizing franchise, despite being anime, because at least you get Tomino's anti-war manifestos and absolutely insane poo poo like G Gundam, also After War Gundam X was good.

The Star Wars sequel needed a giant fleet of motorcycle battleships.

They already stole the Beam Rotors from Victory Gundam, mgiht as well steal more.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Pulcinella posted:

Well that and it tries to say war is bad but giant war machines are incredibly cool. The newtype bullshit sucks but it does get undermined pretty regularly. Newtype magic has saved the day a few times from straight up destruction, but literally has never stopped wars. The dumb kids never realize that “if only we could all communicate and understand each others feelings there would be no war” doesn’t work if the people in power don’t care about any of that.

Which is why IBO is the best gundam series since its the only one that is about destroying the system instead of wanting magic to fix everything. The haram ship is still awful, though.

So the only Gundam series you saw outside of IBO was Unicorn?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

None of the Gundams capture how stupid & depraved war is quite like Thunderbolt, which is a marginal theater of the war that demands immense mind-bending sacrifice from everybody - only to have the war end off-screen and none of what they did mattered at all.

This also applies to 0080.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The originals were not apolitical you fool.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Taintrunner posted:

Someone rushed to the reply button before reading the entire paragraph.

The prequels really aren’t about Bush either.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Also in IBO turns out the fix for the system is japanese Nationalism.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

Has there ever been a work of fiction that was about a existential alien/supernatural threat looming over political conflicts where the threat was more interesting than the politics

The one in my head I never wrote.

Because the existential alien threat is also political, turns out.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

When you think about it, Goku is just superman raised by a martial artists instead of american farmers.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Star Wars should just be given over to the Super Robot Wars people.

Pew Pew lazers.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

TLJ does show Admiral Hillary Clinto getting owned.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

I'm going to be running a star wars rpg in the new year; I know I should watch westerns and wwii movies to rip off plots wholesale but what samurai movies should I watch

Kagemusha. :unsmigghh:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I have no idea how you would adapt Makai Tensho into Star Wars, but drat I want to see it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

VideoTapir posted:

Name one media franchise that's gone to total poo poo that's ever come back from it.

Alien.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Wives of samurai were trained in archery and spearfighting.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

mysterious frankie posted:

dwarves and wizards are obviously nerds, as is proven in neal stephenson's masterwork ready player one:origins

Hey come on Stephenson doesn't deserve that kind of insult.

I still love the Baroque Cycle dammit.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

LGD posted:

naginata are a type of polearm, not a spear (yari)

:goonsay:

Well, looking at my copy of Legend of the Five Rings 4E, you're right!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Give me Thor fighting Arjuna in the next Thor movie you cowards.

Or getting scammed by Odysseus.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

nikosoft posted:

Great, so basically I will never be cool.

Embrace being a trash failure, like me.

Hobocop forever.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Taintrunner posted:

CineD’s meltdowns that actually normies love the prequels are always popcorn worthy

they’re so sure of themselves!

It's usually the prequel haters who meltdown when someone dare say that they think the prequels are good.

Like me, I think the prequels are pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I just find it annoying how people keep going into CineD to meltdown about whatever movie opinion they have, and then go to other forums to say actually it was the opposite.

Like with Zack Snyder movies. Apparently the fact that people like his movies is enough to give people aneurysm or something. I don't like his movies much, but I don't give a poo poo that people like them.