Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I remember going into the comic book thread to rant about how bad Man of Steel was and getting schooled pretty hard. Now I've come around and think MoS is a good movie that I just really don't like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

WampaLord posted:

My favorite CineD memory was SMG stating that Battleship (the movie based on the board game) was an objectively better movie than The Avengers and multiple acolytes of his immediately agreeing.

Having only seen Avengers, that sounds plausible.

Avengers isn't very good.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuUGrtmjQfY

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

AUTHORITY: Permaban Benghazi 2 to make sure the others fear you.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

THS posted:

drat everything to watch sucks

Watch anime.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Shin Sekai Yori was good, though it seems it was forgotten quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz1ypuGJ3VM

(Also Fate is good despite it'S problematic parts fite me)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Also the best anime is still SLAYERS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J444yYW2sc

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

HOWEVER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7OSeEMxDKE

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

PLANETES is also a really good anime, although the manga is better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opf3j4dF4SM

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Babylon V was also really good.

What do you want?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Was that bow designed by HR Giger?

Is Elon Musk gonna go full Peter Weyland?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Isn't Set the one fighting Apophis to protect Ra normally?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

As a kid I felt like number 4 was the best one and it just cratered really fast afterwards.

It might be related to how it was one of the first novels I read in english and so I had a few months advance on everyone at my school who were waiting for the french translation.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Is there a good free vpn that won't infect my computer with viruses?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I loved 12 Monkeys as a kid and it took a random twitter shitpost to get me to remember it. I had the soundtrack on cd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmPyu0ZepJ4

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

A4R8 posted:

I never liked the jingoism and militarism of Aliens.

Alien, Alien 3, and Alien Resurrection are the cspam/leftist films

Same.

Resurrection has a terrible script, Joss Whedon is garbage.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

lol, Aliens isn't a loving Vietnam parable and the creatures aren't the Vietnamese, get your brainworms checked

Cameron is on record saying that it is.

Sure, that's dumb as hell, but there you go.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Farm Frenzy posted:

I rewatched phantom menace with the chapo commentary for the first time in probably 20 years and i have to say lmfao what a fuckin turd. plot and dialog aimed at five year olds in front of early ps3 game backgrounds. reminded me of spy kids more than anything else. jar jar animates like xavier renegade angel

Spy Kids gave us this gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RFwyobtnKA

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

ro5s posted:

Where's a good place to start with Gundam? Just go for the original series and work my way through it all? I've not watched much anime but it's a series I've always been vaguely interested in.

Yeah, the original might have dated animation but it holds up in a lot of other ways and if you like you can just continue down the Universal Century timeline.

I started watching the Gundam shows in basically production order 10-15 years ago and it worked for me!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

MizPiz posted:

What about Jim Krasinski

No, that's the CIA.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Is the novel good?

Because gently caress yeah John Brown.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

theres an extremely good chance theyre going with crazy john brown whos got some growing up to do because free state of jones starred matthew mcconaughey fairly straightforwardly portrayed the title character as a white dude who realizes that slavery and racism is bullshit and was either panned for being too boring or too racist because you see this actual historical person who led a counterinsurgency against the confederacy only to see it all collapse when the north wins the war and gives the rich assholes back their plantations is actually just an extremely problematic white savior

I liked that movie.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Now that the ending of the new She-Ra has been spoiled for me the lesbians kiss at the end I'm thinking of actually watching it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Peanut President posted:

Doom Patrol is real good. For anyone who's wondering
The guy from The Mummy plays a dickhead NASCAR driver that becomes a robot
There's a lady who's a blob monster
There's a dude with a space ghost (not Space Ghost) inside him
There's a lady who has a very weird "what if multiple personalities but a superpower" deal
There's also Cyborg...
The leader of the group is Timothy Dalton playing bush-league professor x
One of the side characters is a non-binary sentient street
The main antagonist is a 4th-Wall breaking jerkoff played by the pilot from Firefly doing his best "Q from Star Trek" impersonation

The comic was great. I'll watch it when it's on something I can actually watch like Netflix or something.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I think Good Morning Vietnam is the only Vietnam War movie that treats the Vietnamese in a vaguely human way.

That's not a good look.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Atrocious Joe posted:

Hollywood is incapable of making a war film that isn't troop worship because they're so intertwined with the US military.
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/hollywood-cia-washington-dc-films-fbi-24-intervening-close-relationship-a7918191.html

Much as I hate J. J. Abrams, he did refuse US military aid for Super 8 to make the american military the villains.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM1Vt6MyKj0

We're meant to side with Toby here, somehow.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DTWGmcEY4Q

John Cena's Hamilton would unironically be 100% better.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

One of the writer sposted this huge rant about all the science they put in the movie because people kept making fun of how dumb it was.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Egg Moron posted:

now i am watching 1995's The City of Lost Children, it's loving out there

The brain was the best character in that movie. The voice of Jean-Louis Trintignant.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

God Hole posted:

yeah i think even the heptapods are locked into their life paths, they have no choice in the matter.

they give humanity the tool that grants them access to their entire life's memories and allows for manipulations, for instance Amy Adams snagging a future memory and bringing it to the present, but the giving of the tool and the retrieval of the future memory is what always happened. the future never changed, Amy Adams "preventing" a world war by accessing a future memory is always what was going to happen. she was never not going to learn the language that gave her the ability to do that.

it's the scene of colin farrel catching the red ball in minority report "because it was going to fall" but spread out to feature-length. the ball was never going to fall, colin farrel is there to catch it.

Sounds very Slaughterhouse 5.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Fleetwood posted:

Columbo is the only one I can think of who always goes against the circumstantial evidence

Columbo is an incredibly dirty cop, always a complete rear end in a top hat.

It's a good thing he only uses those skills on the rich.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Aglet56 posted:

luckily I know carpenter's not a chud because They Live is the one of the most leftist movies of the 80s

He hired real homeless and paid them and housed them while filming that movie.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I mostly remember Worf as being the guy who's right about the alien threat of the day and being shut down by Picard.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The character who survived in that scene did so by rolling slightly to the side while the other one kept running straight lol

It's entirely possible to make that scene convincing but they didn't do it

no, she falls into a crevice.

They actually run in a somewhat diagonal fashion, but the ship does not fall straight either. And it's so huge it's hard to gauge where to run from it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

What no this is not what happens at all

https://youtu.be/hdZXlMl1xG4

It is legitimately as bad as everyone remembers it

Hmm, nope, watch it again.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Malkina_ posted:

I thought Nomak and the reapers were leading a labor revolution against the vampire establishment in part II?

The Important thing to remember about the Anarchs/Carthians is that they don't see humanity as the workers but rather as the means of (blood) production.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Thanks to Operation Paperclip, the US has been run by Nazis for seventy years now.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

Weird how no one ever makes this criticism of les mis but then most adaptations of les mis do all they can to avoid contextualizing what the gently caress is going on so they can pretend like the cop is nobly misguided rather than an idiot rube who kills himself when forced to acknowledge that he was the baddy all

Weird how this criticism never applies to les mis but then most adaptations of les mis go out of their way to avoid contextualizing what the gently caress is even going on post timeskip to instead handwring about how the cop is a noble honorable figure when he is in fact an idiot rube who kills himself rather than own up to the fact he's spent his entire life being a shithead and the guy he's been hunting down this whole time is an infinitely more noble person than any of the assholes who sign his paycheck

Les Mis is a different Revolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Free State of Jones is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdpENXQTros