Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
In the grim darkness of a long time ago, there is only Star War

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Uncle Wemus posted:

how is it that so many people love these books and yet completely miss things like this

my man

Fans are generally allergic to subtext

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Because that whole subplot was boring and my teenage brain skipped it

Also I was sixteen and I don't remember a lot of it beyond broad strokes

This is p much 90% of the fanbase yeah, nobody remembers poo poo except what was funny and who might be loving who

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lucas loves cheesy schlock and it is the best thing about him

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

extremely late but Bad Day at Black Rock is v good. Though as far as noirish westerns go I will always go with Johnny Guitar. If you want another all around quintessential film noir that ticks all the boxes like Double Indemnity, check out Where the Sidewalk Ends.

Never was there a man like my Johnny

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I got Hitchhiker's Guide vibes from that robot.

Make HK-47 canon, cowards.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Robotnik Nudes posted:

waiting for Bernie to announce Skimbleshanks the Railway Cat as his VP.

It's AOC in cat ears, the horny levels destroy the planet

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm going to see Cats because it is apparently an insanity-inducing fever dream

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You know they hosed up a Star Wars when they don't even have merchandisable new spaceships.

I don't think anyone knows how to do spaceships anymore.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They cut out all the exposition because they were afraid too much 'politics' would give people prequels ptsd

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Boba Pearl posted:

let he who hasn't spanked it in an opera house throw the first stone.

I have a reason to go to Sydney

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Ghost Who Fucks

the virgin Phantom and the chad Phantom

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Thing is furries don't actually like the movie since for the most part the aesthetic is the total opposite of what furries actually like.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

VideoTapir posted:

Name one media franchise that's gone to total poo poo that's ever come back from it.

X-COM?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Relative, though. Batman's just found different ways to be popular.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Farm Frenzy posted:

just dont mention whichever one everyone is currently angry at

does that leave literally any of them

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

i say swears online posted:

Re: bows

In the chronicles of narnia susan gets a bow while peter gets the longsword. I didnt see the movies but I assume the same thing happens

Lucy gets a dagger and a healing potion, though not really far off

She-Ra in both versions gives all the girls swords or magical powers while the one guy has a bow and is also literally named Bow

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Space Dandy is the greatest anime about nothing

I like the episode where they dance until the universe collapses, then dance some more

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Postmodernism being all 'everything is actually secretly communist and subversive' kinda seems like a desperate reaction to the stark lack of actual leftist themes in media since the brutal suppression of anything left of Reagan and now actual communists are getting to make media it's become pretty redundant, with all of the last generation's woke subversive allies turning out to be impotent centrists

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That somehow sounds like even more of a fever dream than Cats

Are you sure they didn't outsource the writing to overstimulated teenage fanfiction authors

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Apparently there's a big surge of Reylo shippers losing their minds because Kylo kicks the kucket, and they're issuing death threats to JJ Abrams.

Thing is he dies like five minutes after they get together apparently

It's like they actively tried to piss everyone off all at once

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Apparently Finn's actor is being called racist because he didn't like the movie

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The prequels are fun to mock and meme because nearly everyone has seen them and they have a lot of dumb hammy melodrama and distinctive imagery, but no one's calling them good movies.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Descendants is producing reams and reams of horrible fanfiction as we speak I am utterly sure

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Know what's great about the prequels? None of them have a loving death star.

Technically ep 2 has a hologram mockup of the death star and ep 3 shows it in early stages of construction

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Farm Frenzy posted:

The Thinking Man's Xena

if you don't have a boner then you gotta think about something

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Percelus posted:

they should make a movie about a guy who a new kind of human that has special powers and his are regeneration and claws and so the military makes him into a super soldier by fusing metal to his skeleton but somehow he dies anyway and makes a deal with the devil to become a hellspawn and come back giving him even more powers but then gets dosed with radiation turning him into a massive muscle bound monster man too then an alien creature comes and fuses with him so he also has alien powers

also he adopts a baby yoda that he has to take care of

I just assume all Hugh Jackman movies are Wolverine prequels so he was also Archangel Gabriel and an Australian cowboy

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The better animes are like, 24 episodes max. It seems like either they're British levels of short or they go on forever.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Jenny Agutter posted:

Yes the underage protagonist is sexualized to hell and back but hear me out, she's actually fairly loving badass? she quite kicks some rear end from time to time? so it's like not problematic at all?

It's anime skeez taken to a ridiculous level but she brutally beats the poo poo out of someone almost every single episode. Also there's the time the antagonist goes full Raiden and beats the poo poo out of people while butt naked wielding only a weaponised toenail extension.

Kinda like Panty and Stocking but slightly less of an open pisstake (also Panty and Stocking if you count the side manga has the protagonists fight monsters made of literally every bodily fluid)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

this is a really bad argument

the sexualization in Kill la Kill is played up so ludicrously that it becomes self-parody. it's not really horny at all. it's like popping a boner at Bugs Bunny dressed up like Brunhilde

There's never so much horny that at least some of the audience won't still have boners, but they sure as hell made an effort. Kinda like Bayonetta.

A lot about Panty and Stocking makes sense when you learn they got the idea for it when drunk in a hotel room in the US and saw Drawn Together on TV.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

StashAugustine posted:

finished the witcher and it's kind of solidly OK. geralt is cool and all the little vignettes he gets up to are great but the overarching plot is meh. nilfgaard is kind of comically evil. also now that we're desperately casting around to get another game of thrones going give me a loving warhammer fantasy show

For some reason I picture Gotrek and Felix having a bombastic Queen-style cartoon intro song

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

are saiyans white

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

mysterious frankie posted:

That’s not even a knock on liking anime. I’m like this close to watching My Hero Academia because of the constant commercial assault on Adult Swim while I was in that hotel last week. I’m saying a lot of you folk are now wailing rhetorical spaghetti monsters and I love it.

Apparently the first season is neat but it kinda ends up reverting to formula, I'm guessing they ran out of original ideas

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Space Dandy is also good

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

KiteAuraan posted:

Odo is THE cop. Like, the Platonic ideal of a cop. The Ur-Cop, cop prime and like all cops views his existence as needed and neutral.

Yeah, he's basically the Star Trek version of Judge Dredd, including in that he's basically the only one actually to care about the letter of the law and ideas of justice while literally everyone else just uses it to advance their agenda. And still becomes a total fascist when left to his own devices.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Now picturing Disco Elysium but you're Odo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Some Guy TT posted:

describing odo as judge dredd is kind of misleading the guys main gimmick is that hes super awkward and cant project authority even though hes a shapeshifter who could easily murder nearly any other character

yeah this is my experience too i get the impression its the norm and lazy writers are the main reason we think otherwise a whole lotta kids and adults too for that matter have been blindsided by divorce because theyve been led to believe that yelling is the main prerequisite

which again just another reason why im not getting the marriage story hype

Fair enough, and Odo at times shows he actually belives more in justice than just the law. Says something that the Bajorans actually like him and he keeps his job even after the occupation, though he probably looked good in comparison to them. (plus, he canonically looked the other way to protect the Bajoran resistance) There's some interesting subtext (and sometimes text) with him as a third party in the whole political environment, neither Cardassian, Bajoran nor Federation either but operating under all of them, his at-first unique species making him an outsider who can claim neutrality.

Odo's likely an idealisation, given on one hand he has huge control freak tendencies (something that seems to be an inherent characteristic of his species) but seems to prefer justice to to the mere machinations of law, and is explicitly shown to be more flexible in those matters than strait-laced Worf.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Ferengi are definitely one of the few cases where you see examples of how a civilisation's ideology actually affects people who live in it; none of the recurring Ferengi are really what a Ferengi is 'supposed' to be, with two examples of people realising their society undervalues their skills and noping out to join a society that does give them an opportunity.

The Changelings are a fun case of a species whose signature abilities are totally the opposite of what you'd expect from their apparently common personality traits.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

etalian posted:

I like how DS9 also subverting the cultures in which Quak is forced to hire Garak to knock him off since Quark got tricked by a rival and is forced to question following arbitrary rules.

It's also really funny when Garak tries to find a way of killing Quark that Quark will accept. And I don't think he got around to calling off that hit...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Just lack of communication is a universal thing in all wars and especially WWI. Have a unit that advanced a little too far and a little too fast for the timetable. Have an officer realize they're in an area where they're not supposed to be and they're about to be subjected to the mother of all artillery barrages and their pigeons are dead and their phone lines are cut (because it's WWI). So they send back a runner. He goes through all sorts of convoluted war adventures but gets back to HQ and gets his message in just a little too late. The end of the movie is our hero on a faraway hill watching his mates get blown up by high explosive in a horrible mistake. He's helpless, the system is helpless, his friends are helpless, and no one is really at fault. Also he's perversely happy because by chance he's somehow alive when they're all dead. War is just hosed up like that.

IIRC this is basically Gallipolli.