Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
pop culture is the opiate of the masses and must be destroyed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mayor Dave posted:

*Points at John Wick franchise* Fascist

Goddamn those movies got so loving lazy after the first one

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lol

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:killing:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The new season of Peaky Blinders is so loving good, it's about a bunch of criminals who just made it big as the fascists try to come in power in Britain. Definitely worth a watch, I'm 5 episodes in and it's loving shocking

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh, did someone say Ashton Kutcher

https://twitter.com/aplusk/status/692915871761702913?lang=en

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

coathat posted:

First of all there was never a point in watching watchmen and second of all the boys was bad.

the boys was fantastic

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lol SPOILER!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

James Bond is weighted down by the fact it's a dumb male wish fulfillment fantasy. Even trash like Golgo 13 is better, solely for the fact it never pretends Golgo is anything other than a murderous psychopath whereas James Bond is a hero for serving - THE BRITISH EMPIRE? uh-oooooh

uh Golgo 13 is loving rad thank you very much the French wine culture episode is a greatest of all time loving instant classic

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
righteous gemstones is the best show of the year hands down

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if you mail in 5 marvel movie ticket stubs we’ll send you a free n-word pass

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bro Dad posted:

Literally whitewashing a character to not upset the Chinese government, then accuse all your critics of being political :psyduck:

watch this interview to die instantly, it’s with the writer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEpbUf8dGq0

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I watched all of vice principals that show kicks total rear end and goes some places. bummed the ending was pretty conventional in how it wrapped things up but whatever

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m watching the art of self defense and it’s definitely CSPAM the movie

just instead of karate it’s posting

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ardent Communist posted:

Man, it sucks that the Netflix show Damnation got cancelled after one season. I've been re-watching it and it's pretty good. At first you think it's going to do that ole tripe that the strikers are just as bad as the industrialists, the main strike leader used to be a strikebreaker! But it turns it around and you realise he actually did have a change of faith, and they are really trying to inspire widespread revolt.

Drop everything and watch Warrior right loving now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79rtcCnaeyo

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If Warrior is half as cool & stupid as Banshee then I'm in.

It's a show about a Chinese immigrant fresh off the boat in late 1800s California, based off the writings of the late Bruce Lee.

It may actually be the greatest show on television, and pulls absolutely zero loving punches.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

get that OUT of my face posted:

is Watchmen gonna be the next "cultural event" show for HBO now that GoT is finished and mostly forgotten about?

No because it's dumb as gently caress, just like every other attempt at a prequel or sequel of Watchmen. The third episode has Silk Spectre playing with a fuckin' Dr. Manhattan dildo, and they put out a whole article trying to insist it wasn't a dick joke and it had some real meaning, and then they tell you the story of how it came to be, and it was some idiot in the writers' room making a stupid dick joke. The world building is a lot more interesting than the actual narrative, which is tired-rear end mystery box crap.

Xaris posted:

did it? season 1 of westworld was extremely good and i even liked season 2 a lot despite being worse. i'd def watch a 3rd season although it sounds like maybe there won't be one? idk. it seems very popular still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64CYajemh6E

Season 3 is supposed to actually go some places. After just how loving hard Season 2 crashed and burned with the dumbest poo poo I have ever seen on television as they took a rocket ship up their own rear end, my hopes aren't too high.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well then, whatever you do, don’t look up the show’s podcast where the showrunner both-sides the KKK and Antifa for wearing masks

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ikanreed posted:

It's supposed to reflect how badly abused Dr Manhattan was used for state power. That total conquest and expansionalism of America's past were only ended in the real world because of MAD.

Yeah, precisely. I mean gently caress, the dude is a being of infinite power, why the gently caress wouldn't the U.S. government use that to enrich private interests? People don't give Moore enough credit, and you really see it come through in just how loving bad every attempt at prequeling, adapting, or sequeling Watchmen has ever went. Like jesus fuckin hell they just don't get it.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

It’s lost guy dunce cap bullshit

The show, yes. The graphic novel, no. It's good.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HHE2JTNwsE

really good teardown of Jack Ryan

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the new star wars videogame, jedi fallen order, succeeds by the sheer act of having restraint and only focusing on a handful of characters that are all interwoven rather competently

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress Star Wars, my loving space-waifu Avasarala is coming back to the spotlight in less than a couple weeks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3KTel_MTdU

"I'm a smug old bitch who enjoys playing with life and death on her big chessboard"

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's a cool gun

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah, forgotten weapons is v. chill

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the prequels and the sequels both rely on palpatine being a clairvoyant mastermind super-planner who had everything go exactly right in order to succeed, and they somehow magically do. it's the worst loving poo poo ever and it's just embarassing to pretend either of those trilogies have any redeeming value

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

None of the Gundams capture how stupid & depraved war is quite like Thunderbolt, which is a marginal theater of the war that demands immense mind-bending sacrifice from everybody - only to have the war end off-screen and none of what they did mattered at all.

And got drat is it loving rad

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ScrubLeague posted:

the cool thing about star wars is none of the original trilogy is remarkably better than anything else in the series

:wrong:

what a lot of people don't pick up on, that divides the original trilogy from the prequel and sequel trilogies, is the fact that it's largely an apolitical movie that lifts a lot of real world politics in order for people to relate to the story and what's going on - the empire is Nazis, the Falcon turrets are styled off WW2 bombers, the rebellion is styled off the vietcong (most obviously in ROTJ), but the story is vague enough that you can apply a multitude of readings to it - i.e. it's a libertarian movie about the evils of centralized government, or it's an indictment of white supremacist imperialism, whatever you wanna say, the movie really doesn't rebuff those arguments.

So then we get to the Prequels, which are this weird parallel to the Bush years, and Lucas goes all in on making this a sort of direct parable for what's happening, and it becomes a complete mess without a real personal story to it to invest the viewer. The entire plot centers around Senator Palpatine being this sort of clairvoyant mastermind whose entire scheme relies on so much happening exactly how he plans that it turns him into this sort of godlike figure, a Great Man of History theory on way too much cocaine.

Then you flip over to the Sequel Trilogy, and it refuses to touch anything resembling political imagery, and is outright nonsensical. The Empire's gone, but there's a First Order that's terrorists except everything they have is bigger and dumber, and they can wipe out solar systems, and the guy in charge of it gets chopped in half but it doesn't really mean anything, and then oh whoops turns out Palpatine was still alive this whole time and he did the same poo poo he did in the prequels with a super mastermind plan involving vlogging droids and oh actually the Death Star 2 throne room survived and he's just been chilling the whole fuckin' time waiting for this climax, and now he has a Sith fleet which is bigger and dumber than the Dark Order fleet and hey wait just where exactly did all this poo poo come from anyways this makes no goddamn sense

It's really fuckin' impressive how much of a fine line the original trilogy walked and how the other trilogies really hosed everything up in entirely different yet similar ways.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MonsieurChoc posted:

The originals were not apolitical you fool.

Someone rushed to the reply button before reading the entire paragraph.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i stopped watching a few weeks ago, and i gotta say that your synopsis of the twist there is only making me glad that i cut my losses when i did. that's a complete misunderstanding of every theme that the original story was trying to tell

It's really awesome how loving hard that show went off the rails and took the premise that had people interested "what would the world look like in the aftermath of the events of Watchmen" and said "awh gently caress it let's just go back to all the old favorites" with zero loving clue what they want to do with it. the idea of transferring Dr. Manhattan's powers to someone else is just fuckin' batshit dumb

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy gently caress they got the guy who played Chappelle in 24 to be a minor villain in Expanse S4. loving rad, he's amazing at playing a slimy fuckin' weasel.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the new star wars ends with hitler youth guy saving hitler's granddaughter from hitler

it's all nazis, all the time

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Serf posted:

its actually really wild how the main focus of the show is on alien nonsense but the most interesting stuff is happening on mars and earth. and the belt stuff is played a little too mysteriously for my tastes, but its also better than barren planet adventures

season 4 is largely a setup for the major poo poo that goes down next season, be ready

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

unironically tlj and empire are the only good star wars movies

wrong

it’s a new hope, empire, ROTJ

that’s it

TLJ has a your momma joke as the opening.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

lol honestly idg how in the world anyone likes RotJ. It's basically every criticism of the sequels but with even more egregious toy marketing and plot retreads.

My favorite part of ep6 is when they took a fan favorite bounty Hunter and killed him off with a three stooges ladder gag

boba wasn’t a fan favorite when the movie came out. or least nobody really cared back then.

rotj is the final emotional climax to the Luke/Vader arc and it’s masterfully done albeit dragging in places.

Palpatine is a real fucker and the reveal he’s an OP space wizard is fantastic. the space battle that goes with it is super rad too, when the rebel fleet realizes they hosed up big time is another classic moment

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

tlj really loving hates that you remember anything but also desperately wants to sell you poo poo based on nostalgia

it’s the middle of a trilogy and it’s the most loving optional side quest I’ve ever seen. it does loving nothing and goes nowhere. it’s just pathetic

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

foobardog posted:

Why do they even bother after John Leguizamo nailed it in The Pest?

Oh you gently caress. Now I have to post this again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAB8dNMoXZ0

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cats repulses me just trying to watch it. the hosed up cat/human hybrids made up of lovely CGI that then turn around and eat a loving sexy human/cockroach hybrid is just absolutely terrifying. it’s like a nightmare come to life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm watching JoJo Rabbit and this movie fuckin rips