Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i think the mandalorian is good and fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THS
Sep 15, 2017

solo was good

THS
Sep 15, 2017

can we stop with this star wars derail

oh poo poo wait im already in the pop culture containment thread

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The Unknown Regions are supposed to be an uncharted place where you can hide all sorts of stuff, so I can buy that the First Order was building up to the point they could do a galactic 9/11. What I don't buy is that the New Republic would immediately roll over, show its belly, and piss itself just because some core worlds got blown up. It completely contradicts the underlying premise of the original trilogy and actually existing history which is that terror weapons don't work and are counter productive.

all the republic worlds were in the same star system, including the entire fleet. you could see all the planets in the sky getting blowed up, they looked closer than mars. do not tell jj abrams how space works, he does not want to hear it

THS
Sep 15, 2017

the lack of worldbuilding and just basic coherency of tfa was bad enough, but i liked the characters okay, the actors themselves did great jobs. and there was potential to at least succeed on the character based drama alone. then they hosed that up too. every part of the trilogy failed by the end of the last movie

THS
Sep 15, 2017

drat everything to watch sucks

THS
Sep 15, 2017

logh was alright and i did manage to power through the whole thing but was disappointed by the lack of much class analysis, it was mostly about liberalism vs authoritarianism, stuff about religion, trade, nepotism, and essentially what was a napoleon story. which was ok but yeah

i guess the best thing about it is it had less pervert poo poo than most animes, with the exception of the Horny Fighter Pilot

THS
Sep 15, 2017

the first season of discovery had such dogshit incoherent writing that i will never again watch anything produced by alex kurtzman. i couldn’t believe how stupid it was

picard will be poo poo too

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Yeah it's going to be the same breathless sprinting around, unearned sentiment, and nonsensical plotting as Discovery. I can't comment on season 2 but season 1 was some of the worst television I've seen

The fact that they called the dog #1 should be hint enough for anyone that it's going to suck rear end

i didnt even care about the spore drive or mirror universe stuff. whatever, it’s sci fi, it can be schlock. i was more shocked about stuff like things not happening in sequential order or with any consistency within the same episodes. it’s like 3 different writers worked on each episode, weren’t allowed to talk to eachother, and then no one bothered to edit the script before they started shooting

the quality gap between std and the expanse, which while rushed at times, at least made sense, was really incredible

THS
Sep 15, 2017

berman and braga burned star trek into ashes, now flushed down the toilet by kurtzman

THS
Sep 15, 2017

thank god that show loving sucked

THS
Sep 15, 2017

ritual suicide at a certain age makes sense to me. i guess the obvious objection is that in such a community, someone wouldn’t have any leeway to not go through with it if they didn’t consent

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Peanut President posted:

all movies are good

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Over Easy posted:

I am about to watch the first episode of the picard show

I think it is going to suck really bad

we shall see

oh it’s going to be dogshit

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Some Guy TT posted:

not gonna lie its pretty funny that picard is somehow managing to be less woke than something that was written thirty years ago with a writing staff that probably knew next to nothing about trans issues

how so, i havent seen it and i assume it sucks but im curious on how it manages to be socially poo poo. dont care about spoilers

THS
Sep 15, 2017

red letter media’s reaction to picard is pretty negative, and my only friends who seem to like it have real questionable taste. im gonna skip it, i can go without seeing more Gritty star trek full of rear end in a top hat characters and the Dark Federation

THS
Sep 15, 2017

honestly i think im done watching anything at this point, i am just going to stare at my ceiling for a couple hours every evening now

THS
Sep 15, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

if you think about it, reading books is a lot like watching TV, except with your imagination

ok but the problem with books is, you dont know which ones are good, until you read one, and that takes too long and is often boring

THS
Sep 15, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

was the serialization of plotlines a good or bad thing? I seem to recall a big part of the criticism of Voyager was that each episode was far too self-contained, so now we have overarching stories and that's also not good either?

you can do it either way if the writing is good. if the writing is bad then it’s bad

THS
Sep 15, 2017

vyelkin posted:

There's a pretty substantial difference between the way DS9 treats Section 31 and the way Discovery does though, which is that all the main characters in DS9 are horrified by its existence and want to root it out of the Federation, and it's portrayed as an organization leftover from an earlier, less enlightened time in human history that's just been so good at hiding itself and justifying its existence to its own members, that the current leaders of the Federation, with notable exceptions like Sisko's admiral friend, barely even know it exists. The DS9 heroes want to expose it or destroy it or undermine it or somehow get rid of it because to them it threatens everything the Federation stands for.

In Discovery they're like "oh this secret organization exists and basically runs the entire Federation and has an all-powerful AI that can hack any starship and they have their own secret fleet that has infinity ships while Starfleet has none and now its second in command is an evil tyrant from an alternate dimension, okay cool" and then they just keep doing what they're doing, and in the end they team up with Section 31 to fight a big space battle because hey, why not. There's a complete lack of understanding about how Section 31's existence and operations contradict the ideals and institutions of the Federation, both by the writers and by the characters, and as a result they're willing to make Section 31 both way more prominent in its position in the Federation and way less shocking to the characters.

was gonna type something up earlier but this is way better than what i tried. exactly - in ds9, every starfleet officer is horrified by section 31 and the plot arc is to expose them and destroy the organization, even though they are in the middle of an existential war where such an organization could be more "justiable". putting mirror universe space hitler in charge and being accepting of that is just so loving stupid god discovery is stupid stupid stupid fuckk that show

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i cannot imagine how the new trek shows could have been handled worse

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Serf posted:

i still laugh when i read about the tng writers tearing their hair out because roddenberry insisted that all members of the bridge crew needed to be friends so they had a hard time coming up with interpersonal conflict

then you watch discovery where they just replicated game of thrones and you get multiple backstabs/betrayals an episode and it just sucks

all the officers having to be friends is how we got all the great fun episodes where a space virus / mysterious energy makes the crew violent, horny, or violently horny

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Feldegast42 posted:

The bad Tom Cruise Mummy, not the good Brendan Fraiser Mummy

endless trash!!!!!

THS
Sep 15, 2017

behr loving owns

THS
Sep 15, 2017

a real freak’s freak

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i have access to netflix, hulu, amazon, and disney+ and something ive noticed is nearly every tv show sucks. like all of them. what’s with that

THS
Sep 15, 2017

T-man posted:

A $2/mo VPN and basic internet skills and you can watch basically any digital media ever made, if you're worried about "cultural fragmentation" or whatever become the cool friend and start giving your friends handmade DVDs or USB sticks with :filez: on it.

most of my friends have smart tvs and if i gave them a usb stick they would be confused about watching movies on a laptop (if they even have one). also dvds??? pain in the rear end

everyone be netflixing

THS
Sep 15, 2017

skooma512 posted:

:same:

If it came from a network channel and/or is about cops, doctors, or a family it's doubleplus suck.

i unironically believe that watching stuff like that is a big part of why most people in america are r-worded. completely warped view of reality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THS
Sep 15, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djQhaCtCsxw