Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

6 episodes in and Mandalorian is still a show about nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

you, virgin walking soy faced cuck: I can't wait for Rise of the Skywalker in theaters everywhere December 19
me, chad walking chiseled Aryan features: I can't wait for part 2 of Carole and Tuesday coming out on December 24

Can't ever go wrong with a Shinichiro Watanabe produced thing.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mysterious frankie posted:

I just finished the show about the miserable horse. God dammit someone needs to convince comedy writers to back off character development; they arenít as good at it as they think they are and they just kinda exchanged the rule of funny for the rule of misery. Also gently caress me I am so tired of hearing about how alienating and sad it is to be a Hollywood millionaire, or how hard and dreary it is to be the upper middle class assistant of a Hollywood millionaire.

Yeah after a while they basically gave up on that and Bojack and co basically just voice the writers's opinions on things. I assume they wanted a season or 2 more more but Netflix canceled on them. The only good episode of the season was the view from halfway down.

AnimeIsTrash has issued a correction as of 05:30 on Feb 2, 2020

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

THS posted:

i unironically believe that watching stuff like that is a big part of why most people in america are r-worded. completely warped view of reality

It rules that Brooklyn 99 got so popular. It's just straight up police propaganda directed at liberals.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

He's like 15 years late to the family comedy genre at this point.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Serf posted:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1168521685907230721
wish i could find a better source for this video, but o'brien is the best

This was a fantastic episode. There was also a scene where Rom quotes from the Communist Manifesto to Quark.

I've been rewatching DS9 as well and I didn't realize how insufferable Worf is as a character. I haven't seen TNG in a while but I don't ever remember him being that bad.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

uber_stoat posted:

re: the boys, i wanted to binge it ya lousy bums. let's not go back to the bad old days of weekly episode drops.

Same here, I have 0 idea why you'd do weekly releases on a digital platform.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Lmfao I was wondering what his angle was. I thought he might have some more undisclosed board of directory positions.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The new season of Fargo came out and the first 2 episodes are quite good.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

you should really push yourself to watch it all, VM Varga is an absolutely amazing character

I think he's the best villain in the series so far. David Thewlis did a really good job.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Wheeee posted:

lol worf's lovely kid shows up on ds9 and is somehow even lamer as an adult

It's hilarious how he can't understand why his kid is so angry at him despite mentioning that he abandoned his kid on earth.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Wheeee posted:

ds9 had some legit good episodes, but as a whole it was just dingy and dreary and outside the rare garek episode the only thing that gave the show life was Quark; without Quark ds9 never would have worked

Discovery season 3 seems pretty good so far though as it has been able to shed many of the lamer trappings of star trek

All the DS9 characters were pretty good until the last 2 seasons. It felt like the dropped the ball on character development sometime after Waltz.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Dax might be described as a really great character who doesn't really get a lot of good episodes to herself.

They do a really bad job of developing her, like you could replace her character with miles, kira, or odo in 90% of episodes and you wouldn't notice a difference. She has a couple of cool episodes that involve her past hosts.

Her character basically becomes a party animal after she marries Worf.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Worf is such an rear end in a top hat in DS9, he might be the worst character in the show. There is one episode where his neglected son arrives, worf acts like an rear end in a top hat to him, and then is completely baffled why his son hates him.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Worrrrrf, let's have sex!
Ehhh, no, Dax. *flushes weather control system*

Lmao the best part of the episode was that he did it because he hated seeing other people enjoy themselves.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Fluoride Jones posted:

The episode where the anime club convinces him that surrendering to the dominion is the only option is a fav

The following anime club episode also reveals how much of a creep Bashir is. He operates on one of the group members so she can actually function like a normal person and then proceeds to try to bang her.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

double negative posted:

despite being the origin story of my guy mike milligan, this season of fargo was pretty weak. i know itís partly on the pandemic but drat, they were just running on fumes by the end

Apparently the ending they originally shot had a bunch of Mike Milligan scenes that were cut in the final version. It felt like this season had too many characters and introduced too many subplots. It's weird that this was supposed to be his backstory but he ended up with 1 episode about him, and then a bunch of B and C plots revolving around him.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Taintrunner posted:

new season of 90 day fiance just debuted and yeah it's utterly batshit wild from the get-go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66forHvBib4

This owns. 90 day fiance is both an amazing and incredibly sad show.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Egg Moron posted:

I hope this new Indiana Jones is racist as hell

It's what made temple of doom really sizzle

Temple of doom is wild because they got actual famous bollywood actors to star in some pretty racist roles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amrish_Puri
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roshan_Seth

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Finally watching season 3 of Fargo. V.M. Varga is tremendous.

He's easily the best villain of the series. Just a stone cold capitalist.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I only watched two episodes last night because I want to savor it. I liked season one and two, so far three is a cut above them, and Varga is the standout element of it. If Thornton was an alpha hunter, upending the system because itís the deadliest prey, and Bokeem was a man on the outside of the system working his way in at the expense of everything only to discover he was essentially selling himself into captivity, Varga is that systemís secret, slimy, languid heart. Thewlis is killing it.

He has a great scene later in the season where he talks about how the proletariat revolution is the thing he's most scared of.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I've been doing a rewatch of all the treks and am currently midway through voyager. Voyager feels like a show that has a very good premise that is absolutely ruined by bad writing. None of the characters outside of the doctor are particularly compelling, most of them are still just assholes.

Also Chakotay's indigenous portrayal is hilariously more racist than I remember watching as a kid.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

One of the worst things the prequels did was change the Jedi from mystic space ronin to just a bunch of cops with swords who were everywhere all the time

It's extremely stupid in The Mandolorian when everyone is like "who are these mysterious 'Jedi'? I've never heard of them" and it's like buddy these dudes were pulling you over for speeding tickets thirty years ago, how do you not know them?

I'd imagine that the people want to actively forget an organization tied to the government that actively took and groomed young children into their order.

e:

The more serious answer is probably the empire ruthlessly hunted down the jedi in episode 3, and i'd guess they'd go after anyone who'd openly talk about it. Leading them to be a vague rumor in the galaxy.

AnimeIsTrash has issued a correction as of 18:52 on Dec 20, 2020

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Fleetwood posted:

Doom Patrol is pretty good

I watched it right after WW84 as a pallette cleanser and is crazy how different they are in terms of quality.

I've really liked the trend of shows that we've gotten recently that involve broken people with super powers with stories that actually develop them as characters. Umbrella academy, and the boys were both really good too.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

gradenko_2000 posted:

did Umbrella Academy lean into Russiagate red-baiting bullshit as much as its trailer made it look like it would

Not at all, they go out of their way to show how lovely american society was back then including how certain government agencies used the red scare to torture people.

They gang alter the course of history so kennedy never gets assassinated, instead there is a building that explodes which scares the kennedy motorcade in dallas. Kennedy blames the soviet union for it, and declares war on them which ends with them invading and nuking America.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Egg Moron posted:

https://i.imgur.com/34eQxVG.mp4

i usually don't watch the sex ghost episode but it is really funny

this episode is so loving weird

There are some creepy rear end Troi/Crusher episodes. I don't remember if it was this episode or another one but Tori and Crusher are both having a conversation while doing yoga stretches in yoga outfits for no reason.

Apparently the reason Crusher didn't appear in the 2nd season was because she was being sexually harassed by a trek writer and refused to do the show.

AnimeIsTrash has issued a correction as of 02:00 on Jan 9, 2021

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Loveshaft posted:

I did not realize women talking during yoga is creepy.

It's not, but a bunch of trek writers writing them swooning over dudes while doing yoga certainly does.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

IGNORE ME

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/DRMovieNews1/status/1350894890494914567

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Was the Snyder cut supposed to be one of the allures of HBO Max sub? It's cost them 70 million at this point lmfao.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Atrocious Joe posted:

Alan Moore certainly didn't intend for Watchmen to be fascist, but lots of people came away from it idolizing Rorschach

Snyder thought that the reason watchmen was such a popular comic is because it mainstreamed sex and violence. Lmao

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Taintrunner posted:

if you wanna see some serious tonal whiplash, check this poo poo out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORv48clDSYg

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qag2bOBUVfQ

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Tighclops posted:

And the fact that Star Trek will no longer go there is part of the reason why the modern stuff rings so loving hollow

The new stuff is also all grimdark, which is weird for a trek.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Tricky D posted:

at this point, i reflexively see section 31 (as portrayed in ds9) as just one guy larping as space cia

starfleet trying to coup the federation gov just shits over everything starfleet had been portrayed as representing in prior trek. also lol that the one guy who stood up to the security state was admiral cartwright

The coup seems like something the series has been setting up for a while. Voyager/DS9/TNG all showed that there was a big rift in starfleet regarding how militant the federation should be.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Federation might be viewed from a certain lens as a fantastically successful Project for a New American Century. Or NATO.

I feel like that has been the way forward since Voyager. There is one voyager episode where it's revealed that the federation have a protocol to destroy to a molecule that they failed to stabilize. Which causes Janeway to steal and destroy it from a civilization that is close to stabilizing it.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

What designer drug is Chrissy coming down from?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I should have known. Also lmfao this is what her wikipedia says

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Vincent_(musician)

quote:

Her mother is a social worker and administrator for a non-profit organization, while her stepfather works in corporate tax administration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Someone got probed in the mcelroy podcast thread for calling something soy lmao.