Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Bloop! Don't make me turn this Roomba around!

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

p funny to see people in the replies discover wonder showzen in 2020

https://twitter.com/hoseoksparkles/status/1261474190470905856

Wonder Showzen is going to be as historical as Blazing Saddles where it's going to have insufferable people say they can't do humor like that anymore when it's more about the structure and execution.

They both kick rear end, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

mysterious frankie posted:

So the only people still rating things\using IMDB are men aged 50-dead, and little girls, is what I'm getting from that. Twenty years from now it will be revealed that their forums were actually shut down by secret FBI mandate.

Don't forget Marvel/DC geeks.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Some Guy TT posted:

its weird as hell seeing pop culture stuff from twenty or thirty years ago that was considerably more upfront about political dysfunction of this racist devil cracker nation but somehow today is the era of woke media because theres

huh

i was going to say black superheroes then i remembered that there were black superhero movies in the nineties too lol

Part of me wants to say 9/11 kind of caused a pause on media critical of American stuff (unless you threw in some kind of foreign interloper pulling the strings) and the eventual state of media corporate capitalism treating old things as new things.

Also because lots of media companies like Disney and Netflix know how to weave a pretty carpet over their rot-infested floors by acting woke but doing the absolute bare minimum with civil rights and minority representation.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

I remember Rian Johnson talking about his 'came from nothing' twist and how he justified it with how it becomes another obstacle for Rey to process and mature over which is a pretty good defense and then the writer for TROS said 'BUT WHAT DOES THAT REALLY MEAN?' and completely poo poo the bed.

The equivalent of if Return of the Jedi had Yoda telling Luke 'Nah Darth Vader lied and your dad went out as a hero trying to defeat him. Your anguish meant nothing.'

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

On one hand, entertainment studios should do their best at researching things like autism much like anything else to avoid giving negative misconceptions of it.

On the other hand, there were strange internet people such as the ones who wanted real cancer patients for actors in the movie adaption of The Fault In Our Stars

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Girls was a very weird and desperate period for people seeking feminism in entertainment. At least Adam Driver got something out of it.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Star Wars could do with TV shows that arenít about Jedi. Fighter pilots, soldiers or smuggler scoundrels. The wizards with laser swords arenít as fun now that they made it apparent that itís all hereditary instead of random and mysterious as the Force seems.

Itís going to be High Republic, probably. The general audience wants to see and hear more laser swords.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

If we see more Jedi poo poo, I better not see over the top powers. The self-projection thing from VIII was cool in a wizard trick kind of way even if it killed you. Then they hosed up by doing it again and doing stupidly strong Force Lightning and Raise Dead in IX.

But the best time the Force was implied in the new movies was that dude in Rogue One walking past the crossfire. No visible power. Just an uncertain scene of whether he was lucky or the Force really did guide him.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Jesus Christ I just remembered when you could Force Pull an entire Imperial Destroyer out of the sky in The Force Unleashed. That was really stupid and the worst way to try to do something cool.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

The next few years are going to be Disney getting high off the success of a Star Wars only to completely crash and panic when they release something that gets moderate criticism and throw away all consistency for another baby bottle in the form of callbacks and nostalgia.

They wanted to do so many movies and shows until The Last Jedi and Solo got flack. Now they might do it again after The Mandalorian kept peopleís minds off the nonsense they did for Rise of Skywalker.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

If anything, Disney is just like George Lucas who did the same thing when people got mad over Empire Strikes Back ending with a downer. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss, etc.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

grate deceiver posted:

wtf is High Republic, are they doing an entire movie about what if Yoda was 6ft tall and he smoked weed?

Something like Old Republic but the Jedi are at an all time high instead of near extinction again, I believe.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Serf posted:

yeah its 400 years before the lucas movies, so they can have nothing but more boring jedi bullshit and not confront what the movies were about

Not even the new movies know what they are about because their one attempt to challenge the Jedi way was pretty much bleached as soon as Disney panicked about less box office money. Rise of Skywalkerís big goal should have been to help the audience digest what happened last time and carry on but Disney forcefed them ipecac in as soon as the first line of the opening scroll.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Disney would have made Yoda say to Luke that Darth Vader was not really his dad and it was a Sith Force Trick to break his spirit. And then tell him his grandpa is Palpatine.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

ENDLESS TRASH has come to TV

lmao as soon as The Mandalorian became a hit, Disney hits a coke high again like they did with The Force Awakens and Rogue One becoming big hits.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Wait until The Mandalorian Season 3 or The High Republic Season 2 completely bombs and they retract everything only to splurge a dozen projects again when a mini-series dedicated to Darth Maul in 2023 wins an Emmy or something. Repeat until death.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Mr Hootington posted:

I know a lot of people are down on Marvel movies, but I'm excited for the Fantastic Four and hope it is good. I just was them going up against Mole man, frightful four,, psycho man,, annihilus, namor, doom, or galatcus and the movie being good.

There have been three Fantastic Four movie attempts (not counting the Silver Surfer sequel to the second attempt) and they are varying degrees of terrible. What makes Attempt #4 special?

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

I'd totally watch a Tenet recut with Bill and Ted. It'd make it actually good.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Serf posted:

the mandalorian s2 was fun to watch, but proves that none of the losers running the show at disney understood the ending of rotj. which is why the show should have avoided jedi and poo poo altogether and just been about cool bounty hunting adventures

The CGI poo poo bothered me the most about all that. But yeah, Iím getting weird feelings that they want to make Mando part of THE BIG PICTURE instead of just a space dad trying to do his job.

Disney is doing like 8 other shows. I am okay with more Jedi shows if they give other kinds of characters their own show. If the Rogue Squadron movie ends up having a character be force-sensitive, I am just going to tap out.

DesertIslandHermit has issued a correction as of 15:42 on Dec 20, 2020

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

double negative posted:

after all that build up, cgi-face luke picking up happy meal toy grogu made me burst into laughter

CGI Moff Tarkin was the worst part of Rogue One. Disney has so much money and Star Wars has so many fans that they just couldnít be bothered to get a near lookalike and give them good make-up.

The Leia scenes in The Rise of Skywalker further cements that edit jobs suck rear end and Iíd be willing to have a 90% lookalike actor/actress do the part. Screw the nerds. I know we lost Carrie but Abrams cannot edit himself out of a paper bag.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Disney releases a Rise of Skywalker Directorís Cut but instead of tweaking any of the plot or pacing, the bigfuck ships battle will have cuts of each of your favorite characters. Mando. Watto. Glup Shitto. Everyone is in this together.

As much as I disliked it, I enjoyed seeing Old Man Wedge. Ahhh you tricked me again, Disney.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Honestly I would have been fine with (Mandalorian S2 finale spoilers) Luke showing up and being loving badass because it reminded me of the Clone Wars shows of seeing Anakin being cool and having the dramatic irony of knowing he will tragically fall from grace in the future. But holy poo poo did the CGI ruin that.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

grate deceiver posted:

new Mandalorian is ok i guess, but smol yoda eating those eggs is supremely hosed up

also lmao at two old fatass x-wing pilots

I laughed at the eggs. Reminded me of Nibbler from Futurama

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

OctoberCountry posted:

This kinda stuff just makes things like them doubling the budget of Solo with reshoots because Kasdan was mad the directors were changing his lovely dialogue even funnier

gently caress the original Episode IX with Trevorrow. I want Solo with Lord and Miller not being pushed off the helm.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's funny how you can have something fun like Thor: Ragnarok then you get so much army-funded tripe when it comes to superhero movies.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Movie studios trying to ground superheroes with the modern world is a big loving mistake.

Superheroes should be fighting warlords on Mars or robot armies from another timeline.

Trying to make something of political commentary falls on its face because it's either a wank of military pride or flies over everyone's heads as they see the lasers and slo-mo punches.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Homora Gaykemi posted:

the only good superheroes are Golden Age/New 52 Superman, the Doom Patrol, and Squirrel Girl

gently caress yeah Doom Patrol is great.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Captain Marvel was mediocre and just advertisement for the Air Force with a girl power movie but holy poo poo WW84 takes the cake.

Can't wait for Patty Jenkin's 'Rogue Squadron' where Rogue Squadron deploys Y-Wings to bomb Space Palestine for a good cause.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Make Fate of Atlantis or I'm not seeing it.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Thereís always the Rankin/Bass The Hobbit. One movie and no unnecessary extra characters or plot. And itís good.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Atrocious Joe posted:

Wonder Woman versus The Power of Positive Thinking is a great idea. Self help culture is a sort of unofficial religious current in the US, with it's influence crossing traditional political and cultural boundaries. Liberals talk about self-care and conservatives have prosperity theology. So having the mythologically flavored superhero fight a personification of it is a really fun idea.

The actual follow thru was ridiculous, and since it's a Hollywood film the message ended up being really reactionary.

Wonder Woman 84 really reminds me of Rise of Skywalker. A giant mess of a film with weird themes, but sort of fun to complain about.

Rise of Skywalker was a directorís petty grudge towards what he didnít like of the previous movie and bloated it with fan service.

WW84 is straight up military propaganda poo poo in the form of a superhero movie. Itís more painful.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Wonder Woman 3 will be better. It will have the bad guy be from Iraq and he will torture American soldiers in Abu Ghraib

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

I remember nothing of this show other than the second movie was offensively bad.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

uber_stoat posted:

this garbage looks like a cut scene from a ps2 game. who is this even meant for.

I hate how Steppenwolf in this one looks like he's made of razorblades.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Judakel posted:

maybe this will finally shut these freaks up

These weirdos have only two modes: Being really loving angry over superhero movie or completely devoting their life to superhero movie.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Taintrunner posted:

x-posting from cine-d for hilarity's sake

Blue Lives Matter. *steals guns from the cops*

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

The original Willy Wonka movie did a good job handling the weird pygmy worker colonialism of the book by just making them weird orange fantasy dwarves in lederhosen.

Can't wait to see how this one fucks it up or tries to steer away from it only to crash back into it.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

uber_stoat posted:

warning warning, king kong has acquired a giant axe from somewhere.

https://twitter.com/Legendary/status/1353387222343454722?s=20

I want this to be a legit one on one fight without a Ďrivals team up against a nastier enemy in the third actí gimmick.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Psychedelicatessen posted:

you can literally see mecha godzilla at 0:03, it's going to be exactly that

Laaaaame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Hodgepodge posted:

reminds me for no particular reason of

i can't remember if goons at one point thought this was badass at one point or if we've always mocked the idea of an adult who dresses as a bat calling a kid a retard for questioning his hosed up bullshit

It was a funny meme 15 years ago in both the sense of 'How do you not know Batman?' and 'What kind of garbage writing is this?'