Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

KidDynamite posted:

gina carano canon'ed herself out of a star wars tv show lol

I can hear every weird chud nerd Youtuber trampling over each other to try to interview her and how she’s a victim of cancel culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Apparently she chatted with TheQuartering before. There’s a reason companies save for Youtube advertisers steer clear from him.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Can’t wait for more 10 hour videos making GBS threads up my video recommendations about why Mandalorian Season 3 will be bad that totally didn’t come from Gina being fired no sireee

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

indigi posted:

yeah but apparently Pedro Pascal was able to sort her out on the pronoun issue

Too bad she sorted herself out...of a job.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

I hope Gina gets put on those angry anti-sjw podcasts that last 11 hours and she just dies of boredom

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

lmao that this will turn into 'Well it's actually sexist that they fired her and suddenly I care about harassment of Star Wars cast members.'

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Lib and let die posted:

i like the hbo max harley quinn series, does that make me a bad comics books person?

You can enjoy silly comics things as long as you acknowledge that they are not the pinnacle of American art and culture.

Unless it’s 1989 Batman. That movie owns.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

BoosterDuck posted:

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1361684523004661761
uuhhh.... so like, should somebody tell him (;;;・_・)

It’s just 3 Knives Out movies but it has a cast full of Hutts in the first one, then Stormtroopers in the second one and then Wookies in the third one.

DesertIslandHermit has issued a correction as of 06:30 on Feb 17, 2021

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Star Wars should pull away from the Jedi stuff and show the perspective of other kinds of characters in the war against the Empire/First Order/whoever the hell is the bad side. But people love seeing the wavy hands and lightsabers so its greatest fruit is its greatest burden.

I want to look forward to the Rogue Squadron movie but I expect them to pull some Force-sensitive nonsense that wasn't cool like the monk in Rogue One and Patty Jenkins does some uncomfortable analogy to a Vietnam conflict.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

My Face When posted:

When i saw The Last Jedi I was really hoping they went the Grey Jedi route and still hope they do because it would keep with the desired aesthetic but brings up the moral ambiguities of the series. However, a rebel spy could conflict with the idea of freedom v. Order. Chaos v. Order.

Despite TLJ's issues, I did enjoy the whole thing of Kylo Ren becoming akin to the Dark Jedi from the Legends. Until Disney decided to make the next installment about a stupid space race for a cinderblock triangle and reeled back to nostalgia so hard that the truck they drove flipped over.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Maybe nine films is enough and they can make something else.

As soon as Disney releases another Star Wars spin-off movie to critical acclaim and a billion dollar box office, they're going to just ejaculate two more trilogies.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

indigi posted:

I know Disney sucks and all but god drat some of their songs are just so loving good

Disney can really put out excellent stuff if they try and focus hard enough. All the splurging of MCU/Star Wars stuff is not good for them. Out of all new ideas they have, maybe one-fourth or one-third will be really good, one-half will be cheap mediocrity and the rest will be so bad that they'll just be ripped out of the public conscious in a matter of weeks.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Aglet56 posted:

oh god, a world without the Irishman? what would we ever do??!!

Watch the true 3 hour epic. Avengers: Endgame.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Tricky D posted:

i think the failure of the DC franchise movies has more to do with Zack Snyder's involvement than anything else

Still lmaoing that Justice League was written by the dude that wrote Rise of Skywalker

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Some Guy TT posted:

https://twitter.com/SethMacFarlane/status/1363623437466431488

im the guy at disney marathoning the muppet show to try and figure out which bits were offensive enough to warrant a disclaimer

We almost deprogrammed Chud Johnson, who expressed his hatred of Jews and his belief that they control the media. Then Disney put a disclaimer on their old 70s show and he relapsed.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

The first season was really good but I was told the second one sucks so I didn't watch it.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

etalian posted:

Jared Harris plus the atmosphere of the first few episodes especially the diver scene which scared the hell out of me when I watched it

:vince:

Jared Harris owns so much.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Scorsese saying that superhero movies are like amusement park rides was hitting the nail on the head. It’s trying to justify having fun as being a cultural artform when it’s really just a rollercoaster that either pumps you up for bores you.

I can be totally fine with fun movies that don’t mean anything. But nerds really want to justify their obsessed habits as being peak culture instead of just admitting that they really enjoy the zany rollercoaster.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

I consider Space Jam the same way I did the live-action segments of the Super Mario Brothers cartoon. It was something that blew my mind when I was 7 years old and now I consider it dumb old attempts at entertainment to wow children (like me).

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Some Guy TT posted:

finally the confirmation weve all been waiting for

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1367598700743299072

warner brothers is gonna reboot casablanca

I already got my Casablanca reboot it's called 'Overdrawn at the Memory Bank'.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Paddington 3 took a weird turn but the first two movies were great so I'm all for it.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

South Park has that same presence as Family Guy and Simpsons where it's been on so long and people either commit to it or start watching it because they heard so many things about it despite all of them being way past their golden years.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Farm Frenzy posted:

beforeigners is way better than it has any right to be. its like if bright was actually good

Cast a Deadly Spell came out many years before Bright and did most of it better.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

uber_stoat posted:

is it really good-bad enough that i can subject myself to 4 hours of it and not regret it for the rest of my life?

I see no point in watching a movie you feel you are going to hate if it’s more than 2 hours. Unless you have fun with how dumb it is.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Judakel posted:

no more origin movies and no more "lead up" movies. just get to the thing you wanna get to

Haha they're doing to a Dungeons and Dragons movie apparently and you know that poo poo will be planned to have like 4 movies and most of it will be world exposition and countless references to classic adventures or characters.

It'll make the first Dungeons and Dragons movie look like The Neverending Story.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Darth Maul was cool because I thought he was just a human being that turned into a horned devil dude as a result of being in the Dark Side. Then I found out he was another race but I was like 'Okay but he's still cool."

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Mr Hootington posted:

The new suicide squad movie had a trailer drop and the big bad is starro.. As a comics nerd I am very excited.

I am here for Stallone King Shark.

I'm also glad Margot Robbie is still doing Harley because I like her style and she isn't a weird vaccine skeptic like Tara Strong is. Original SS sucked and Birds of Prey was okay but I liked Robbie in both of them.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Apparently Robbie is going to be in a new Tank Girl movie and I'm all for it. Bring back Ice-T as a kangaroo monster man.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Oh no Tara strong is anti vax?

She said some weird poo poo on Twitter of mercury and chemicals in vaccines awhile back.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

I love how Gunn gave us Rocket Raccoon and King Shark for the big screen and then Weasel is just a hosed up Aye-aye cryptid man.

DesertIslandHermit has issued a correction as of 18:53 on Mar 26, 2021

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Serf posted:

imo movies like suicide squad, joker and birds of prey are what dc should be focusing on. just doing weird poo poo that doesn't fit in with what marvel is putting out. but because r-rated grimy/silly action flicks aren't making a billion dollars anymore i'm sure they'll retool the justice league line to be even more normie than before

Joker made a billion dollars but I would hate movie studios to try to emulate it again instead of doing something new with superheroes. Birds of Prey was a bust but that partially had to do with a mix of the move title and the pandemic starting.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

I'd rather have Deadpool kinds of absurd dark comedy than the fifth attempt of trying to copy Christopher Nolan. Comic books are mainly just people in goofy clothes punching each other over silly things.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

The only thing I saw people talking about of WW84 was the hosed up virtual signaling scene of Wonder Woman saving some kids playing soccer from being run over in the exact area where the IDF killed some kids some years back.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

uber_stoat posted:

i'm coming to "save" you!

People mock MCU for being military recruiting poo poo but you cannot convince me this scene would have still existed if they hadn't used an former IDF soldier to play Wonder Woman.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

KomradeX posted:

In season 1 Baby Yoda is a Mcguffin, and season 2 has exactly 2 of them, one of which is Filoni setting up whatever he's doing with Thrawn. Maybe it's just me and I think Star Wars can be more than just Space Wizards if given the chance. But yeah Im sure most fans just want the Space Wizards.

I just like "regular people"aspect of nerd poo poo, like in 40k I'd rather see stuff about the Guard, than Space Marines

Waiting for every show to just have some kind of Sith or Dark Jedi antagonist even if the heroes are bunch of scrappy pilots.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

The chorus in that song gives me chills. It's so loving good.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Judakel posted:

and really we can stop with youtube analysis altogether. just make a podcast. most of the time you're not saying anything interesting or particularly in-depth that you couldn't say by sitting down and recording your thoughts without much editing. folding ideas is probably the only interesting one of those channels

Youtube revenue probably makes more than the number of podcast downloads.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

LordThorn posted:

The Thick of It and the related movie In the Loop are extremely funny.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Wow, people really lost their poo poo at Ellis for giving Avatar too much credit, huh

One of the people bagging on her was using it to advertise their YA book and describes it with Avatar characters so yeah this is a weird clout war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

uber_stoat posted:

ya authors are a cut throat lot.

Seriously. I follow some new horror authors and they're usually giving shoutouts and advertisements to works by other people.

A handful of young adult stuff is either really sterile or The O.C. fanfiction being rewritten into something 'original'.