Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Blood Boils posted:

You're in for a treat, check out the vvitch if you liked it

The vvitch was really good. It got a lot of hate when it came out because people heard about the critical acclaim and got mad when it wasn't scaring them non-stop. gently caress the haters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Good soup! posted:

this is like a leaked scene from a cancelled Clock Tower game or something, what the gently caress

I love how it feels like a hosed up Disney death but instead of the villain dying, it's the villain's mom and you're supposed to feel bad lmao

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

We need to bring back hosed up Disney villain deaths. Not this MCU/Star Wars stuff. Bad guys almost always fell to death. The villain in Tarzan accidentally hung himself with vines.

Pongo should have just pushed Cruella off a cliff. Would have owned.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Good soup! posted:

Post your favorite Disney death, mine is in Tarzan where the baby gorilla wanders off and is chased down by a leopard or some poo poo and we see it be scooped up and carried out of frame and hear it cry in anguish as it is brutally mauled to death and the gorilla parents cry

Why the gently caress does that need to be a kids movie lmao

Prince Eric impaling giant Ursula in the heart with the broken bowsprit is loving metal as hell. That makes him the coolest Disney guy.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

A barbershop quartet of Jokers.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

I can't look at the dad in that movie without thinking that guy on Twitter who makes freaky monsters in photographs.

e: Trever Henderson/@slimyswampghost. I had a brainfart trying to remember.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Family Guy Woke Moments

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

The last superhero movie with sex was Hancock and he cummed so hard he blew a hole in a roof. And that was a deleted scene.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

StratGoatCom posted:

I had a horrible thought.

With avatar 2, it's gonna be a fight between chuds getting their manifest destiny on and liberals stanning the movie, while native folks pointing out the racism get shat on.

It's gonna be the worst discourse ever.

:suicide:

The first Avatar was too soon for chuds on Youtube to argue that the N’avi have an ethnostate and that the good guys learned to assimilate.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

HootTheOwl posted:

I'm really liking Loki. It's like a cape-noir-buddycop
So Bladrunner with Tom Hiddleston?

MCU stuff is more fun when it's just heroes loving around and not trying to provide any kind of half-assed neolib commentary. That's why Thor: Ragnarok and the Guardians movies are the best ones.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1407063978044448769?s=20
extremely funny they are trying to make the strata of people who produced all the worst figures in the Trump administration into socially aware, sympathetic protagonists. This is just pro-capitalist propaganda from the other direction.

if they want to get real woke, they need to bring in Felix Biederman to make the new Gossip Girl more explicitly about Jeffrey Epstein's Origins

Goddamn young kids who see the worst in everything are really easy to fool. Whodathunk

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Bounding Into Comics is chud poo poo. I bet it was something else he said.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Most media is pretty much made in the concoction of keywords and trends for the safest guarantee of a profit.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

galagazombie posted:

What was this guy being harassed over? Did he tweet a political opinion or was it related to being gay/trans or something? Nothing I'm googling is telling me anything about them. All I'm getting is that this Kiwi Farms place seems to be the lowest kind of scum imaginable.

Came out as non-binary.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Mr Hootington posted:

Family wanted to watch all 8 Harry potter's last week so we did. The first 4 are good movies. The last 4 are bad movies. This is my take.

The same could be said of the first four books being good because it's just kids having adventures and solving mysteries and then it decides to get extremely dramatic and little fun after Cedric bites it. It's such a bad 180.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

I completely believe Rowling put in Dobby as a way to push hard on 'Malfoy's family is not only jerks but they're racist slave-owning assholes' but had the brilliant idea to decide later in the series that house elves love being enslaved and even gives Harry one and he doesn't even try to free him.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Harry Potter Wiki people are absolutely brain-wormed.

quote:

Rowling perhaps used the fact that the goblins were a vital part of Wizarding life, controlling their only bank, no matter how wizards see goblins as an inferior race, inspired by the prejudice of Nazis against Jews (hitherto anti-Semitism) and Adolf Hitler's theory of Jews coveting world domination by controlling banks all over the world. This is supported by the fact that some wizards, like Hermione Granger, negatively see this prejudice.

You see she wrote the wizard society as anti-Semitic. Don't pay attention to how they're depicted as crooked old subhuman men hoarding gold coins and the characters never challenge this society to any impact whatsoever.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Trabisnikof posted:

wild wild west owns

:hai:

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Some Guy TT posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/StolenDans/status/1409599789235376130

im gonna go with cerebus because the politics arent validated by the work they work in tandem with the main characters arc to emphasize that hes a miserable piece of poo poo because his goals are selfish and terrible

even between all the late screed stuff its kind of hard to miss that the feminazi empire falls more because of a resistance movement with an entirely inaccurate romantic interpretation of the cerebus image than cerebus himself and the flash forward shows the feminazis mostly won the culture war anyway because cerebus is a petty assholish boor with no meaningful social influence

When you see how Cerberus becomes the author's mouthpiece, it's fitting in a way that the character ends up alone and hated.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

mastershakeman posted:

F9 loving ruled

It's so dumb that F10 is going to be 2 parts. gently caress that poo poo. Just release a 4 hour movie.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Mr Hootington posted:

Hbo canceled Lovecraft country.

The first season covered the whole book. I felt it unraveled by the second half but it’s literally better to end now than going past the book like so many shows (13 Reasons Why, Westworld, Handmaiden’s Tale) and sucking.

DesertIslandHermit has issued a correction as of 00:47 on Jul 4, 2021

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

RandolphCarter posted:

Is Lovecraft Country any good? I enjoyed the book and finally snagged a hbo max login from my uncle.

First half is but the second half is a loving mess and honestly just watch the first two episodes and end it there

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

mandatory lesbian posted:

hes not wrong, blade was better then any of the dreck theyve released since...well, blade

ah well hellboy was cool too

The new Blade is going to be so 'safe' it's going to suck rear end.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Marvel movies are just pre-filmed CGI scenes from years ago that have to go into a final product and the director has to make it work. It's loving dumb.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Some Guy TT posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Variety/status/1414243345191276550

these are worldwide numbers btw literally a third of what captain marvel pulled in on paper black widow might actually lose money

even by variety standards this is a nakedly embarrassingly pro disney headline and the article is if anything worse because it doesnt mention projections or acknowledge just how pathetic these numbers look without the disney plus premiere addon

Maybe this will motivate Disney to actually lower their budget on movies and actually bother to put effort hahahahaha nah they'll say it's a success

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

The future of film is Blumhouse horror flicks

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

The Purge started out as a really convoluted way to do a home invasion movie and then as it went on just expanded into class warfare and ends up saying that Americans would absolutely make a culture out of killing each other without consequence (and have).

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

StratGoatCom posted:

https://twitter.com/angryrobotbooks/status/1415334167001378817
Is it just me, or are we getting more and more 'green gone too far' dystopias in a way that don't seem entirely organic?

"What if good thing was secretly bad thing?" is a commonly used trope but it always brings out the laziest loving writers.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

When you die, you're archived forever. A voodoo zombie.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Movies just become Ready Player One to maximize appeal and it will work even when it makes no sense.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

idk man this IP fever has got to break sometime soon (i keep telling myself, hoping it does but not sure if it will)

Nostalgia has a weird loving grip on people and we're going through the 90s again. And even if something sucks, they will just push out another new one. It's kind of the paradox. If it's a hit, that's another sequel. If it's poo poo, well they aren't going to go for something original next time.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

We'll get a new Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue but it's about depression because Disney doesn't want to have Winnie the Pooh talking about opioids.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

There will come a time when media decides to use Youtube Poops but only with properties they own to avoid copyright. Warping Superman's dialogue to say 'rear end ssa' and flying back and forth repeatingly.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Knight posted:

When I was reading descriptions of these I thought it was weird to complain about Looney Tunes making pop culture references when it was common to base an episode around Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall showing up to a restaurant (1947), or Wile E Coyote puts on a Batman costume to try to catch the Roadrunner (1956), but that's pretty jarring. If you saw someone photoshop the Roadrunner into a shot from Fury Road and shared it on Twitter you'd probably get a lot of chuckles, but it's not really a gag worth filling out minutes of a feature film. Instead it comes across like more of a threat that they own all these properties and now they can make them kith.

So many clips of this movie feel way better to just make as an advertisement for HBO Max. It's what I hate of this thing. It's a 2 hour commercial.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

lmao

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

This is going to lead to corporate accounts sassing each other over their products on Twitter again and will further my temptation to empty my whiskey bottle idling in the cupboard.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Alhazred posted:

And Black Widow is considered a failure because it only made a little over 200 million dollars. The american movie industry is completely borked.

Black Widow has a 200 million budget. You have to meet double that to be expected to be a success. It's not a bust but definitely a disappointment. The bigger budget movies are going to suffer unless they have name recognition (F9, Godzilla vs Kong) so this year is going to be really interesting for Disney given they're releasing Eternals and Shang-Chi, two Marvel movies featuring characters never seen or discussed in the MCU at all.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

I had the nicest teacher in high school biology and she confessed to be an advant Jackass fan and wanted to talk about the second movie with classmates when it came out. She rules.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

The one sketch I always remember is the one in the first movie where Johnny Knoxville fights Butterbean, gets knocked the gently caress out and someone asks “Is Butterbean okay?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Mr Hootington posted:

Johnny asks if Butterbean is OK when he comes too.

lmao it’s been some years. loving gold