Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

I am watching the BBC series Yes Minister from the 80s and it is a really drat good show

i'm only on the 4th episode but so far it's like the west wing for cynical smart people instead of for credulous dumbfucks

the main action is between this aloof reformer that is trying to cut government largess and the top career civil servant in his office who stymies him by being shrewd and manipulative, funny poo poo

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Just shaking my head drat over this YA poo poo

millionaire authors should be able to take mild criticism about the academic merit of their garbage books

Don't get high on your own supply (of farts)

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

I watched the manalorians first two episodes and it just passed right through me. Some ideas here and there but it was all confused over who exactly this show is geared toward

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Droids are not slaves. It's like if your couch was programmed to say "ouch" every time you sat on it. Just real perverse world building that makes the star warp universe feel so alien and alive

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

that picard show is going to suck massively

we all know the problems with discovery intimately and the picard show will be that with picard sticking out of the side

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

I am about to watch the first episode of the picard show

I think it is going to suck really bad

we shall see

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

uhhhh i'm halfway through and it is kind of good?

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Picard has got the same tone as Logan

the first episode is all set-up and it takes some interesting turns

the next episode is assembling a crew and shifting into space and we know at certain points there will be seven of 9 and either Thomas or William Riker (both would be awesome) with Troi

it is bizarrely actiony

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Gods of Egypt (2016) *** [56k NO WAY]

-~#SPOILER REVIEW#~- this in-depth recap and review contains untagged spoilers for the film Gods Of Egypt

In prehistorical Egypt the Gods rule mankind. The gods stand 3 meters tall and have gold running through their veins. Ra's sons Osiris and Set are both powerful but it is Osiris who rules over the living and basks in the adoration of humankind with his large son Horus.

The action begins like Hamlet with uncle Set (Russell Crowe) attempting to wrest the throne from papa Osiris (Bryan Brown) because he was passing crown was passing to son Horus (Jamie Lanister)

then it becomes animorphs as Horus attempts to defeat Set

there is a big dumb fight that Horus loses

Set pulls out his eyeballs

Now Set rules the kingdom and he is cruel, he kills many Gods who stood against him while humanity is enslaved

Rufus Sewell (Dark City) plays a human collaborator with the Set regime

This lady and this guy are slaves, she works in rufus sewell's office, she says Horus' eyes are in a vault in Sets temple and that they should sneak in and steal them so Horus can regain his power and depose Set, so that is now the plot of the film

The best part of this film is the size disparity between the humans and the Gods. It is so loving funny when they interact on screen. The film really shines here.

So combination Orlando Bloom/Heath Ledger sneaks into Sets temple indiana jones style to find and steal the eyes of horus

He gets the eyes and makes it out!

only to be GOT by Set's lackey and when they try to escape, Rufus Sewell arrows the slave girl, not a good look

he makes it out though and bee lines for Horus' tomb to put that fucker's eye back in

Horus is a sad sack throwing himself a pity party and eternity wide

Our boy tells Horus that he will give him his eye back if he rescues his lady friend from the realm of the dead, but he says she is too far gone and that it is time for her to "walk the path" so

there is some talk about how because she was a slave and had no possessions she has no treasure to barter and she will be unable to pass the 9th gate on the path, the path looks like this

Horus wants his other eye, asks our Boy where it is and is pretty rough about it, our boy says that it is in Sets temple and he knows the layout and can help him find it if he will help him get Anubis to release his woman from the path of the dead, Horus says he will try to do this but that they only have 9 days before she reaches the 9th gate. This is now the plot of the film.

Set finds out that Horus' eye has been stolen and gets pissed at Rufus Sewell and sends his minitaur to go find Our Boy

Horus and our Boy climb a big rear end mountain so that Horus and commune with Ra, his grandfather. Horus says he cannot transform until he has both his eyes unless Ra intercedes, and he does!

but only to ferry Horus and Our Boy to his plane of existence for an audience

Ra Explains that he has bigger fish to fry and that he really doesn't give that much of a poo poo about the squabble between osiris horus and ra and that the mortals are basically just pig poo poo because he is busy out here fighting cosmic horrors

After all that Horus asks to fill a flask with heavenly water to, as we find out, "quench the desert fire and kill set" Sure! This is now the plot of the film.

Meanwhile Set is attacking the stronghold of his Godess ex-wife, one of the last of the pantheon standing against him

Set confronts his ex wife and she is like why are you doing this and Set says cryptically "No one will know until it is too late" then he kills her

at first I am thinking Horus and Our Boy are dropping into the action like it's MDK but they just land in a jungle, which I didn't expect in a movie about Egypt

Horus hits our boy until he agrees to be his slave

The minataur gets the drop on them and nearly kills them

Our Boy and Horus make it out and bond through the adversity

The minataur goes back to Set and Set kills him after spilling the beans about the nature of the deal between Horus and Our Boy.

Now this is happening

These are assassins sent by Set. There is a fight and Our Boy and Horus make it out with help from this lady who is the goddess of love who turns traitor to Set and joins our heroes. She was in Osiris' entourage in the beginning and convinced Set to spare Horus' life after blinding him.

Next we find out that Horus' eye is being protected by the Sphinx whose riddle must be answered in order to not be killed by it, more on that later.

There is some flirty banter between the new lady and Horus and I think romance is in the air.

Our posse travels to this guy, a kind of analogue internet God bent on recording all knowledge and inquires to the answer of the Sphinx's riddle

They hem and haw and he agrees to help them and they walk in the desert

The godess of love helps our Boy facetime with his lady on the path of the dead and then anubis says she needs to cut that poo poo out and get on this boat

The gang gets to the spot where the other eye is and Our Boy does some nimble prince of persia thief action and then they do a song and dance with the sphinx, the answer is "tomorrow"

Now Horus wants to use his water to snuff out the fire but it's a trap!

Set fucks up the plan completely and pisses that heaven water into the sand

The gang escapes the collapsing temple, but things are looking bleak. Horus is pissed but he evens out and realizes that he can keep his deal with Our Boy by giving him a trinket to hand off to his lady during the 9th gate treasure trial. Anubis is cool with this because him and Horus are boys from way back

We also come to find that Set is harvesting the best pieces of all the gods and making one ultimate god suit to make him a being powerful enough to rival Ra

Ra doesn't even see it coming

Set tries to lay a trip on Ra about how he loved Osiris more and that poo poo ain't fair blah blah and Ra says, look kid, I was hard on you because I need you to take my place. All will be forgiven, you just take my place and fight the cosmic horror

gently caress That says Set

Then gently caress you says Ra

No, gently caress you says Set

Now poo poo is looking grim, Set has thrown the whole cosmic alignment out of whack and the only hope is Horus as the cosmic horror begins to devour creation

Our Boy and Horus kidnap Rufus Sewell and he helps lead them through to Set's obelisk for the final showdown.

Horus heads to the top of the tower while Our Boy and Rufus Sewell tango on the elevator

Big dumb comic book fights ensue. Our Boy subdues Rufus

And Our Boy joins Horus to pluck the other eye from his God helm and return it to Horus but as both the eye and Our Boy tumble off the tower Horus displays CHARACTER GROWTH by rescuing the mortal instead. This also allows him to transform into his beast mode, which he does, and he goes to fight Set.

Set is defeated.

Horus returns to Ra and Ra subdues the cosmic horror. Balance is restored.

Horus is king and he decrees that from now on the after life shall be bought not with gold but with good deeds.

THE END

There it is, Gods of Egypt

The movie that asks "What if Jesus were an rear end in a top hat?"

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Crazy Ferret posted:

Did the cosmic horror look cool?

no, it only looked like this

slightly more wormlike in some instances

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Skellybones posted:

The idea I'm getting from this shot is that Ra pilots the sun around the flat earth by turning this hand crank 24/7, is that right?

yeah, and then he takes breaks to shoot at the worm void monster that they call apophis, but this is will always be apophis to me

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

Isn't Set the one fighting Apophis to protect Ra normally?

Yeah they really hosed it up

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Maybe wait til Picard has more than literally one episode before doomsaying

Star Trek pilots are always much worse than the series

I was a lot more forgiving when shows had like 26 episodic episodes a season

Now it's around 10 and serialized and if this poo poo isnt off on a good footing it really causes a poo poo cascade

I didn't dislike Picard really but I wish I recognized the world of TNG more in the show.

They should have ignored all the movies

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

mysterious frankie posted:

Bleh, sucks to hear they’re beefing Picard, but I’m not that surprised. The last good Star Trek was, what, Deep Space Nine; and even that already had the seeds of the properties destruction in it via Section 31, an invention that asks the hard hitting edgelord question: what if not even a fictional utopian setting built around showing what we could become if we placed democracy and cooperation as our highest values is actually bad ?

Yeah, section 31 is really hosed up exactly like you say. A real betrayal of the original vision turning the federation and starfleet from an outwardly facing entity to an ouroboros and that problem plagues the series to this day

one of the things that really made TOS, TAS and the first 2 seasons of TNG {which I love[the first 2 seasons of TNG get a lot of poo poo and season one is pretty bad but it's weird so even when it's awful it is interesting. Season 2 is good.]) so memorable is Gene Roddenberry's insistence on portraying behavior that is alienating to the general sensibilities of the viewing audience. a few genuinely socially transgressive things happen on TOS and it was pretty bombastic and heavy handed in using the utopia of the future to klobber the people of the present for being dumbfucks and racists and prudes.

like in the last episode of season one of TNG, the Neutral Zone, the crew finds 4 people from the 80s in pods and unfreezes them and are dumbfounded by their short sightedness. The capitalist gordon gekko guy gets poo poo on pretty hard and it is satisfying. Anyway, in this episode, Crusher says something to the effect of "people in the 20th century actually feared death" like that is the most ridiculous thing possible. There is supposed to be a giant cultural gulf between us and them and that is important for the show.

After roddenberry died this emphasis on being alienating and bizarre was significantly diminished

gradenko_2000 posted:

was the serialization of plotlines a good or bad thing? I seem to recall a big part of the criticism of Voyager was that each episode was far too self-contained, so now we have overarching stories and that's also not good either?

The expanse is a really good serialized show, so it isn't just that

Discovery sucks for a whole universe of reasons

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

I agree largely with what people say about DS9 and section 31 but it is absolutely the beginning of the introduction of west wing styled "adults in the room making the tough choices" foreign policy calculus into the star trek universe

Voyager builds on this a great deal as it takes a morally agnostic position on Janeway's excesses

previously we only saw this variety of political machination from the federation when all those admirals got the brain parasites in that season one TNG arc

Egg Moron has issued a correction as of 13:52 on Jan 28, 2020

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Serf posted:

my problem with picard was that nothing star trek happened. give me a guy on a spaceship or something drat

yeah poo poo, you'd think that'd be the bare minimum

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Isn't the trek we take around the star we call the sun the most important star trek of all?

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Watched the 2nd episode of picard last night

as has been noted in the thread, ultra tal shiar is such a loving stupid idea just like ultra section 31 was a loving stupid idea

I like the idea of an anti-synth contingent and it would have been cool if that was centered more in federation policy as a response to the synth freak out on mars without the cloak and dagger poo poo. They even could have kept some of the Romulan angle by saying something like "we're working with the romulans to stamp out synths because the synths also hosed up the evacuation plans and they are pissed about that"

I did think the synth flashbacks were well done and cool but that is mainly because it reminded me a lot of the expanse and didn't feel star treky at all

that's the basic deal, this doesn't feel like Trek and the times it is decent are frustrating for the times it sucks rear end

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

These super secret organizations just feel like lame rear end lazy writing.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

I AM MAD

On

Line

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

You know what show was loving great though

stargate SG1

season 3 and 4 were when it really hit its stride and it actually did a shitload of episodes that were just straight up rip offs of star trek episodes done better

for example therer is this one where the sg1 crew gets abducted, brain wiped and forced to work menial jobs by aliens until they crack the code which is exactly the plot of one of the better voyager 2 partners

we'll dive more deeply into this before too long

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Barry Convex posted:

https://twitter.com/Lin_Manuel/stat...nuel-miranda%2F

hopefully this means we'll be spared a proper film adaptation from happening anytime soon

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the weather was kind of poo poo the last couple weeks so I tried watching the hobbit movies for the first time

extended editions and all

complete loving garbage

it felt flimsy

it was like watching the santa clause vs the santa clause 3

you can see the dimensions of the sets, the limits of the cartoon characters and environments

lotr did a good job using cgi to embelish a shitload of craftsmanship and design work, the hobbit did not

there was one part of the barrel ride scene that looked like cellphone video a dad would take on the flume ride at 6 flags

just loving raw poo poo

also the story made no sense as an arching 3 film narrative

I was not hooked

could have been a really great 2.5 hour movie

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

I really like the lotr cartoon from the 70s but I have always really liked rotoscoping more than most folks I know so I dunno

it's really weird

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

torrent with a vpn like normal people, these dumbfuck companies don't need your money and most of their poo poo is garbage anyway

:filez: is back on the menu boys

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Forceholy posted:

The problem with torrents is that you are at the whim of seeds and the popular zeitgeist.

Wanna watch the Avengers movies? Go for it, there's plenty of seeds.

Wanna watch this particular Criterion collection movie? Well, if the one guy seeding it is active, maybe

It's all pretty accessible

Movies from the 20s to now, many 1080p, just out there on Argentinean hard drives waiting 2 be torrented

This guy I know, if you know what I'm saying, has like 15 TB of poo poo from doing this

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

we almost never post about music in the pop culture thread

the best Jesu EP is Silver but Christmas is the best song off of a Jesu EP

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

theflyingexecutive posted:

does anyone here know what a jpg is

GIF and PNG is the official format of CSPAM

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

mysterious frankie posted:

I like Godflesh but I’ve never listened to Jesu... this feels like when I discovered Main existed after listening to Loop for two decades... like, except the bands are different...

I had drinks at brunch.

bro, loop is so loving good

main too

Jesu though, that is the peach, conqueror is a classic album

opiate sun is a great EP

get that poo poo

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Speaking of good poo poo, I just watched the movie Upgrade from 2018 by the same screenwriter and director of the new invisible man movie that seems to be doing great with audiences and critics

it's death wish mixed with robocop mixed with 2001 a space odyssey

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Bingo!

There have been no new famous people in 15 years who have not been the sons or daughters of people who are already wealthy. Mainly the progeny of famous entertainers, stockbrokers or entertainment lawyers.

You may remember about 10 years ago the viral song Friday by Rebecca Black

Well, that was the product of a company that purposefully courted the whims wealthy (mostly long island) professionals to give their suburban fail daughters a celebrity style experience. This phenomenon was widely and appropriately ridiculed at the time but it has become the dominant mode of creating new famous people in the post 2008 crisis era.

Think about how intensely hollywood atempted to make Will Smith's talentless son a star.

It's like it always was in a sense because only one in a hundred or a thousand or whatever get traction but now all of the hundred or thousnad are the children of millionaires.

Pop culture, music in particular, has reached levels of depravity that far outstrip the cultural cesspool of 1999/2000, a feat I never thought possible.

Again, as with everything in our society all you can say is

The Aristocrats

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

I am a real big fan of James Caan

love rollerball, for instance, just loving love it

When Jonathan E says "there are no rules" drat, that gets me right in the loving guts. Deeply socio-psychologically penetrating poo poo

anyway, I just rewatched Alien Nation, and started watching the TV series

it's something that has been really fumbled through the cracks of our memory holes but I remember it getting like Babylon 5esque cultural penetration in the early 90s

if you have never seen it, the plot is that a bunch of aliens who are almost identical to humans but they have no hair, get drunk on sour milk, and are STRONG, land in the Mojave desert after escaping enslavement among the stars and they are incorporated and largely marginalized within society. District 9 rips off a great deal of the premise and the Will Smith film Bright rips off the rest of the film.

It is a neo-noir near future sci-fi buddy cop film where James Caan is a racist detective who is assigned an Alien partner and they grow close as the solve a series of low level crimes with connections that go RIGHT TO THE TOP

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

The only part about crash I remember clearly is bullock sobbing uncontrollably about how angry she is all the time and the I see that scene over and over in my head when Warren staffers and khivers melt down on twitter

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

I like the books because they are fun trash about dicks and velvet doublets

it's been a long time since I felt any anticipation for the next one but I will read it nonetheless and enjoy it probably

if they do get finished I bet there will be a good GoT TV show based on the books in like 20 years

also, speaking of 2040

anyone remember the Phantom 2040 cartoon with the Peter Chung/aeon flux art style?

it was pretty good

the first 5 episodes are like an origin movie and hold up really well

the make-your-own burrito vending machine, the resource wars and so on

Egg Moron has issued a correction as of 14:24 on Mar 18, 2020

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

What a rotten way to die

that show was so loving good

batman beyond was really good too, the cyberpunk setting plus the villians being corporations and fascists makes it even more cspammy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Peanut President posted:

thankfully he didn't die in that scene