Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
This is the best Star Wars media since the original trilogy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5MTIIou56Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

the first episode of the latest season has some killer animation set pieces in my opinion, I don't engage with media enough to remember any other episodes off the top of my head, probably the last episode of last season with the president has some really good rapid fire scenes with great stuff going on.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

watched Portrait Of A Woman On Fire today and I think it's probably the best film I've ever seen. Every aspect of it is a masterpiece and I was openly crying during the final scene. I'm not good enough with words to write a compelling review, but I was completely blown away.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

HappyCamperGL posted:

you summed it up perfectly. great film.

still thinking about it and talking about it with my partner three days later

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Don't they already have a fat guy who can pull any random useful thing out of his gunt? It might be DC, might have seen it on Brave and the Bold.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think you're talking about The Venture Bros

Ahaha, you're right. Best superhero universe for sure.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Kanye gets pointed out by some people because there's other people who hold him up as some sort of genius. Overblown by both sides in my opinion. I think some of his music is great, but that's as far as I go, I'd rather not know any more about his life.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I watched "The Fall" last night due to people talking about it either here or the RLM thread. Is give it a solid "I enjoyed it". The locations and costumes were very cool, and the little girl was really charming.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Oh and in The Fall it was cool how the Indian in the story was a native American but in her imagination if was the guy she knew who was South Asian. There were other little things like that which were interesting, like how she imagined someone being hanged.

I like a film you can think about the day after.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I don't really like 2001 myself, I can appreciate it is a marvel of its time but I just didn't enjoy it.

The book is great though.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

cancel JK Rowling

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Due to Ennio Morricone dying I watched "Once upon A Time In The West" tonight. H.o.l.y s.h.i.t. what a movie. The music, the camera work, the location, the performances. Just tension building for the entire runtime as you piece together what the hell is going on. Amazing film. It well deserves it's high place on film rating lists.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

That song goes horribly with that trailer. Could be a sign that pandering to your "adult" audience could be a mistake?

Not like I plan to watch it either way.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Do the streaming services even have the Simpsons in 4:3 aspect ratio? Cropping is a choice I can't make, so I have DVD rips of the Simpsons seasons 1-9 that my kids have been watching on random loop non stop for the last 3 months

And whenever I need some easy watching I've been putting Seinfeld episodes on, which is also hard to find uncropped, so DVD rips it is.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Stairmaster posted:

did they ever fix the aspect ratio on the simpsons for disney plus

starkebn
May 18, 2004

1stGear posted:

I just binged the entirety of The Good Place over a weekend and why is this dumb network comedy show making me cry so much

I liked it too. I thought it got a little lost in parts, but it pulled back together in the end in a pretty satisfying way.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Serf posted:

also, lest we forget

they whine "bad things happened in the terror" like bad poo poo wasn't already happening before that

reminds me of this

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Last night I finished watching Deadwood for the first time, but not the movie yet. I thought the first season was pretty good, second season started to spin it's wheels and the third season was pretty bad at just having stuff going on of no consequence.

The very Shakespearian dialogue made me watch with subtitles on, which I've never done for an English dialogue show before, and I thought it was all a bit much.

Looks like they put a huge effort into the sets and costumes, but it really doesn't get above a 3/5 from me.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Fight Club is a trip to watch now, the whole "we're all lost men who have life so easy" is a real look back at another time.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

I just realized I never saw that rick and morty that takes the piss out of gotg and I probably should because it sounded interesting from the review I read

If its the episode I think you're talking about, it's not exactly a piss take of GotG exactly, more super hero groups in general. It's actually one of my favourite episodes of the show, so you should check it out.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Nolan insists on using the sound captured during a take and won't use ADR. If he's using a loud as gently caress IMAX camera, which supposedly sounds like a washing machine running, that's just too bad.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Just listening to the recording of the last few hours (?) it's pretty interesting in a macabre way

starkebn
May 18, 2004

McCloud posted:

So did Steven Spielberg. Is he a Randian too?

Hmmmm, could someone at the very pinnacle of an exploitative system possibly be a bit Randian?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Aglet56 posted:

i've posted about it before, but i think kanye hate is way overblown. 99% of the things people hate him for are about him being an rear end in a top hat to other celebrities. like are we supposed to be upset that he hosed up taylor swift's award show speech 11 years ago? lol

he's obviously got big league mental health issues, which is sad. of course, he is a multi-millionaire, so you gotta temper that with some eat-the-rich mentality. i have no doubt he was a dick to his employees at that COVID-proof island resort he went to where he showed that creepy robert kardashian hologram. but that's hardly unique to kanye

really his biggest crime is that his last two albums were terrible

edit: oh yeah and he was a trump supporter lol. but that was pretty clearly just for-real brain worms

Yeah, he's a weirdo. But some of his tracks are great

That's the most I think about Kanye.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I haven't read any fantastic four comics, or watched any movies - but the best fantastic four is in venture bros.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Doctor Jeep posted:

Quentin Tarantino's Happy Feet

:eyepop:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

BttF is the only one worth keeping, but get rid of it too so there can't be any more.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Farm Frenzy posted:

if you remove the misogyny and racism and british nostalgia from bond theres literally nothing there

If you like spy stuff the earlier ones are much better, I guess the latter ones are more just action set pieces

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Any dub that takes itself seriously is a crime. The direction of the voice actors in the original language is nearly always so much better it's laughable.

I love corny dubs on cheap kids stuff like Pokemon, but anything you want to take notice of should be the original language track in my opinion.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Bro Dad posted:

cowboy bebop and black lagoon dubs are way better than the originals, something which even the creators recognize

Strong disagree about Bebop, I'm Australian and the different voice actors make the characterisations completely different.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

been genuinely surprised lately how much i dislike english anime dubs because they seem to change the intent a lot compared to the original

teasing master takagi is the worst one because she goes from being enigmatic and largely reactive to kind of a bullying rear end in a top hat im honestly not sure anyone bothered to tell the dubbing cast the shows supposed to be a cute middle school romance and not like death note with harmless pranks

Exactly my feeling

E: Spike in Bebop goes from a world-weary, laconic personality to a snide rear end in a top hat to my ear. And Ed goes from a quirky, hyper but sweet kid to a menace

starkebn has issued a correction as of 01:18 on May 10, 2021

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Communist Thoughts posted:

yeah i know it was a choice but i personally dont like the way it looks, just animate ALL the frames you lazy artists

Yeah, it's personal preference. But I'm sure they worked their arses off to get it to look just how they wanted it and I think the result is the best western animation ever.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

quote:

Sirius - the powerful, telepathic, but intensely lonely "Lord of the Dog Star", who can assume the form of any breed of dog and has loved dogs for millennia. With the threat of possible Nuclear War looming, he fears what will happen to Earth's dogs, and uses his magic to "freeze" Earth and give the dogs the power to flee with him if they so choose, setting off the events of the novel.

Sounds perfectly logical to me. An ultra-powerful being finds earth and falls in love with dogs and wants to stop humans loving up their lives.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I'm guessing the Disney lawsuit was actually suggested by her manager and Scarlett barely gives a poo poo

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Maya Fey posted:

Triangle is a neat little b movie

and Beyond the Infinite Two Minutes is a pretty good recent entry

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Watched Don't Look Up. The only thing I didn't like was implying a tech company's algorithms are actually accurate or useful, though the joke worked.

Everything else seemed pretty spot on.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

i say swears online posted:

ridley writes "BALIEN" on the whiteboard and puts two slashes through the B

This made me cackle uncontrollably for a little while

starkebn
May 18, 2004

drat modern TVs have the most mind-fucky default video processing options on as default. I'm at my dad's place today and I thought I had turned off all the edge processing, smart sharpening, colour boosting, motion blending poo poo, but I was watching a movie and the whole time my brain was screaming that what I was watching wasn't right. Turns out it sets it's poo poo sandwich defaults for every input separately to be maximally helpful, and I was watching something on an input I hadn't changed.

At least the next movie looked right.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

It's on zlibrary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

No one has mentioned yet how good Tom Cruise was in "Tropic Thunder"

It's amazing how good that film is considering the blackface and jokes about "never go full retard"