Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

BGrifter posted:

How do you feel about laptops with terrible keyboards? Apple hasn't made a tolerable keyboard since 2015.

I don't know, I hopped on a loaner 2017 MPB at my school today and I didn't mind it... but what I really like are the softer chiclet keys on the desktop keyboards. I have a Matias board that's kind of a knockoff of those and I love it.

prom candy posted:

Now is probably not a good time to buy a MacBook. Hopefully the 2020 MacBooks are better.

So, Mac Mini maybe? I guess 8th gen intel isn't that far back, and I have a 27" 4K monitor already. I'm doing a capstone project with a partner who wants to do some iOS development so waiting a year would kind of suck. I guess I could try to mash together some kind of Hackintosh too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

AgentCow007 posted:

I don't know, I hopped on a loaner 2017 MPB at my school today and I didn't mind it... but what I really like are the softer chiclet keys on the desktop keyboards. I have a Matias board that's kind of a knockoff of those and I love it.

Then what you want is the 2015 rMBP prom candy and I are bemoaning being stuck with sadly. I'd love to upgrade sometime in the next year before going back to University, but the current Macs are just so bad.

I'm beginning to think maybe an iPad plus a decent bluetooth keyboard might be a better alternative.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The iPad Smart Keyboard is the best keyboard they currently make which is kinda lol.

Edit: for a portable i think the desktop ones are still ok.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Supposedly Hackintosh works pretty well if you stick within the parts that people say are bulletproof, but I think you're pretty much guaranteed to run into problems at some point. Mac Minis are decent but overall the whole Mac lineup is not great right now. The 2015 rMBP is still a good machine, it just depends on what you want to do with it and what kind of price you can get it for.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
You can get refurb Mini's now. Those are decent deals. The new MBA can be had for under $1000 depending on sales. I think the last gen MBP's are generally considered good. They finally got more than 2 cores on their CPU's and Apple at least acknowledges the keyboard issues. I have a 2017 MBP and haven't had any keyboard problems so :shrug:.

This thread plays up any Apple shortfalling. Don't build a Hackintosh.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Lots of people are happy with their 2016-present MBPs I'm sure, it's really just not the machine I wanted them to release. The prices in Canada are also wild so to spend $3500 on a machine that I see as a compromise is just kind of a crappy feeling, which I think is why we play up the shortcomings so much. Anyway I'm sure this convo has been done to death, anyone want to talk about headphone jacks?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anecdotally, my 2018 and 2016 rMBPs are pretty much perfect machines. I love the short travel keys and enjoy the touch bar. Compared to my 2015 they feel superior in every way.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Apple’s hard on the Pro train so they should just release a cube shaped Mac Mini Pro, same footprint just taller.

I want MacOS but hackintoshes are too specific with regards to hardware and I don’t have space for an iMac, but I do want to be able to run poo poo like Maya and the Adobe Suite without cursing.

That or just give up on connecting my iPad as a second screen and just get a Wacom or something for my PC.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The 2015 MBP is a bit long in the tooth now.

I find the fan quite noisier than the newer models, the screen isn't quite as vibrant, and for high-performance stuff the 8 core vs 4 core and the current video cards are so much drat faster

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Should I buy the new air pods? They look cool and I’ve never owned even the older versions.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I think they have demo ones at Apple stores if you don't wanna think about the logistics of how that works. I have gen 1 airpods and use them everyday so I ordered the pros.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
If you want AirPods and don’t already have a pair, then the Pros are kind of a no brained to me. $50 additional for what seems to be an objectively better product, which you will use every single day, is worth it to me.

I still have the gen 1’s and I’ll use these until the battery becomes unacceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Best Buy has a sale on the home pods for $199. $100 off. FYI