Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

What’s spiders track record with post release support, is a witcher style ee that fixes some of these issues on the table?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Well I just bought it. Just from the combat tutorial alone it seems like an insanely useful thing to be able to stay far away from the enemies while slinging magic, or even stunning them with stasis. I'm playing on extreme and I got pretty much instantly clobbered when I tried to find an attack opening using my melee weapon against the two enemies you fight against. According to google the enemies later on get ridiculous armor values, too.
Plus when I tried to break their armor with a hammer, they kept blocking the attack.
Traps also seem quite good just like in the older games but I dunno how easy it is to stay stocked up.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Sep 12, 2019

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

For another jank rpg, how does Outward compare?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Outward is very different, not story oriented at all, with a focus on exploration. It also only has limited Rpg mechanics in the usual sense, most of your advancement will come from gear and consumables, not from skill points or attributes or whatever. You also get no XP, everything that can be learned is bought with cash instead. But obviously the main gimmick is the survival elements (inventory management, temperature...) and that it has no loading, when you die, you get transported to a random place, often lose your stuff or have to escape from capture. Which I found very unfortunate, given that the combat system feels very awkward. Overall, your experience will be 100% determined by whether you consider the death mechanics interesting, or a waste of time. I hated it. I don't want to spend ages carefully balancing my equipment so I don't get encumbered, only to lose everything because my character got stuck in an attack animation for a frame too long.

CreedThoughts
Sep 24, 2007
Thanks, I've never owned a refrigerator

Taear posted:

It's advertised as that?
Like I don't want a massive open plain but man it's like playing guild wars 1 sometimes. I can't even walk over a tiny rock

Constantly checking the map to see where you're allowed to walk because there's no consistency to it at all

I don't seem to recall any advertisements for it touting it as an open world game, and I have been following it for a while.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Spiders themselves compared their game to Bioware RPGs like Mass Effect and KOTOR, which are very much not open world (not the good ones).

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

What’s open world even mean, like the whole game has to be one seamless area with no loading screens?

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
If you really miss BioWare style rpgs and have nothing else to play, I’d say it’s an ok purchase for around 20$

The towns are very lifeless, people just... stand there or walk aimlessly. I did a quest and the NPCs are probably still standing up in some basement.

I’ll finish it, but later. Got better games now to play

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

The game I'd say it's probably closest too is Vampyr. Just middling at everything it tries. Completely forgettable.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That's up for debate because "open world" has also kind of become a shorthand for "things I personally dislike about a game." But I think what most people mean is that the game area is largely or entirely interconnected and there's a large degree of nonlinear agency granted to the player on where they can go and what they can do, as opposed to Bioware's traditional hub-based world design.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
IMHO it should mainly mean that instead of being railroaded to pass through major map nodes by corridors of some sort, you should be able to move between them in any order you want, even if it doesn't make sense narratively or if you are not ready for those areas. E. G. a game like Grim Dawn has a pretty large seamless world, but you can only really move from A to B to C through linear passages. On the other hand a game with many smaller maps that are however interlinked so you can navigate between them as you will could be considered open world.

Also open world is an alternative to having a hub from which you travel to completely disconnected places, like in mass effect.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The game I'd say it's probably closest too is Vampyr. Just middling at everything it tries. Completely forgettable.

:hmmyes:

Oh, and this game quest tracker suck. It doesn’t say anything about the quest, just a list of what you gotta do. Witcher with Dandelion description of quests was so good :allears:.

The flavor text is all around bad. You find some notes and they’re always like one or two small paragraphs, the characters bios is small and there was one that was almost copy paste of what some dialogue said.

It’s really jarring, especially if you compare it to Control, a game with awesome notes and audiologs to be found.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It got compared to Inquisition and Witcher 3 a lot. I expected some more freedom of movement.

Like I say you have to constantly look at the map to work out how you can get to places, it never feels logical

For example you'll see a path winding up a very slight hill. You HAVE to go to the start of the path to walk up, it won't allow you to just walk over the grassy rock bit in between.
She gets stuck on tiny rocks or branches or trees loads and it's hugely immersion breaking for me. There's so few actually open spaces

Taear fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 12, 2019

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

What's the music like? Big fan of Deriviere's work on Remember Me and Get Even, is he suitably epic and weird here?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Taear posted:

It got compared to Inquisition and Witcher 3 a lot. I expected some more freedom of movement.

Like I say you have to constantly look at the map to work out how you can get to places, it never feels logical

For example you'll see a path winding up a very slight hill. You HAVE to go to the start of the path to walk up, it won't allow you to just walk over the grassy rock bit in between.
She gets stuck on tiny rocks or branches or trees loads and it's hugely immersion breaking for me. There's so few actually open spaces

I hate world design where there are a lot of barriers all over the place. Witcher 3 didn't really do this, but Inquisition did and it was very frustrating.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
How does combat stack up vs something like Risen or Elex? The one thing I don't like about Eurojank is how far into the game you have to get before it feels like you can fight anything. You're basically avoiding combat for 10+ levels.

CreedThoughts
Sep 24, 2007
Thanks, I've never owned a refrigerator

Taear posted:

Lol, did you like Inquisition's giant maps of nothingness?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I can't think of a game where it's "open wordless" was a feature rather than just something that's there or actually dragging it down. Which isn't to say the complains against Greedfall aren't legit.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

CreedThoughts posted:

Lol, did you like Inquisition's giant maps of nothingness?

No, but they were better than this. At least they had variety and stuff to do
Have you explored greedfall? So many pointless places

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Taear posted:

No, but they were better than this. At least they had variety and stuff to do

No they didn't and they didn't . I'll take small semi-linear maps over the destitute wasteland of DAI any day of the week.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

I said come in! posted:

Elex is one of the worst games ive ever played.

:same: And I wanted to like it, too. But so painful.

I stumbled on to Spiders watching some "upcoming RPG" YT video. I played their Technomancer game for cheap and while it has it's flaws, I really like single-player RPGs and Technomancer scratched an itch. Greedfall seems to be improved over Technomancer like not having to run back to a quest giver to complete a quest. Also, despite the jank, I give Spiders props for creativity. An even older game (2012) that I haven't played, "Of Orcs and Men," has the PC as an Orc.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

No they didn't and they didn't . I'll take small semi-linear maps over the destitute wasteland of DAI any day of the week.

Every location there has a quest connected to it. Even if it's not part of the overall game quest.
Yea emerald graves is pointless and has busywork but there's still more to it than any of the locations in this.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Taear posted:

Every location there has a quest connected to it. Even if it's not part of the overall game quest.
Yea emerald graves is pointless and has busywork but there's still more to it than any of the locations in this.

For a sufficiently liberal definition of the word quest, yes. But I don't really count "kill ten groups of wandering antelopes and bring back their eyeballs" as worthwhile content.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

For a sufficiently liberal definition of the word quest, yes. But I don't really count "kill ten groups of wandering antelopes and bring back their eyeballs" as worthwhile content.

There's barely anything like that because most areas don't really have any people in, only the crossroads in the hinterlands is like that.

Here's an example - in the Hissing Wastes every area you find has a little bit of a story about above ground dwarfs. You don't learn loads, but it's interesting. Everywhere you go in the area has something like that. It's not mega deep or exciting but it's there.

Whereas in greedfall I went to the tomb of a king after killing a really strong monster and there was just absolutely nothing. I learned nothing about who this was and why, just a bit of stuff from the colonist professor who wrote about the monster.

Again I'm not saying DAI areas were good, but this game reminds me a bit of baldurs gate 1 - a big pile of areas with just one or two things to do there even when it's huge.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Ah, I see, you are one of the elusive people who actually get excited about codex entries as a replacement for real content. How do you feel about Fallout 76?

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Taear posted:

Here's an example - in the Hissing Wastes every area you find has a little bit of a story about above ground dwarfs. You don't learn loads, but it's interesting. Everywhere you go in the area has something like that. It's not mega deep or exciting but it's there.

If only they had spent that development time on telling a decent story instead of selling the real ending as DLC.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

steinrokkan posted:

Ah, I see, you are one of the elusive people who actually get excited about codex entries as a replacement for real content.

I liked them on my first playthrough as well, writing is cool. The trouble is it doesn't have replay value.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Taear posted:

lmao
A tiny bit of story does not excuse "gameplay" consisting of collectible hunting and fetch quests. Open worlds are almost all just filled with copypasted content these days.
My favorite example is Witcher 3 which had great effort put into the writing and all its quests to make them have actual stakes to them instead of just being fetch quests....and then also included a needlessly giant open world filled with monster nests and bandit camps.

Hackan Slash posted:

How does combat stack up vs something like Risen or Elex? The one thing I don't like about Eurojank is how far into the game you have to get before it feels like you can fight anything. You're basically avoiding combat for 10+ levels.

It's rather more combat heavy and since it's not open world you don't really have that design where you have to run away from all the enemies until you become stronger.
It's basically one of those faux Souls combats where they took out stamina so you're dodging and darting in to attack a lot.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

GrossMurpel posted:

lmao
A tiny bit of story does not excuse "gameplay" consisting of collectible hunting and fetch quests. Open worlds are almost all just filled with copypasted content these days.
My favorite example is Witcher 3 which had great effort put into the writing and all its quests to make them have actual stakes to them instead of just being fetch quests....and then also included a needlessly giant open world filled with monster nests and bandit camps.

A tiny bit of story is better than literally nothing - and that's what Greedfall has. In fact exploring is often bad because another quest could lead to an area and until you get that quest you can't interact with anything whatsoever. The scholar's camp for example which I found ages ago but couldn't do anything with until I'd got the right quest elsewhere.

I'd rather have a line of something written in my codex than going into places that feel like they should be important then nothing happening at all. Greedfall is full of enormous areas that are difficult to navigate for no good reason and are carbon copies of each other. DAI at least made their areas different even if they were pointless a lot of the time.

Oh and an open world with some actual enemy variety instead of armoured dogs, bearwolves and bats everywhere. God drat am I tired of bearwolves, especially since they respawn.

I've got to do a quest that requires crafting. I can't craft, but Siora said the "Shadow faced warrior can help". Who is that? Is it Vasco? God drat when the game doesn't explicitly tell you what to do it sure leaves things vague as hell. Swapping out characters is boring because I have to walk a really long roundabout way to my camp since I can't walk down a vague incline

Taear fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 12, 2019

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I played a few minutes of this but it's having a real hard time grabbing me. People are expositioning at me a lot without any of the stuff being interesting. And whew, these lip syncing animations are something. Most games aren't great at it but I dunno here it looks really exaggerated. The actual combat and moving around from what little I've played feels like something between Dragon Age Inquisition and Risen 2 I guess. Sorta floaty and always slightly off in a way I can't quite put my finger on. I also don't like that despite being a dialogue-heavy game you rarely get to choose what your guy says. I get that that means a lot more writing and voice acting and it usually doesn't translate into much actual player agency but it does at least make me feel a bit more involved in the affair.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
im a little sad that if im wearing a disguise and everyone is Friendly towards me theres no stealth kill prompt

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

LentThem posted:

im a little sad that if im wearing a disguise and everyone is Friendly towards me theres no stealth kill prompt

*Dresses as the faction
*Steals everything in plain sight

(Not that I'm complaining, putting a stealth mechanic was bad in the first place)

And... you could try to get behind the guard, change armor and kill him :getin:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ZZZorcerer posted:

And... you could try to get behind the guard, change armor and kill him :getin:

The killer has to reveal themselves just before each murder? Seems appropriate.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ooh my god, near the end of the game you have to convince all of the factions to be on your side. This essentially forces you to grind out doing all of the side content in order to finish the story. I give up, I can't do this, and I refuse to cause it's total bullshit.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Wait, you can't choose to favor one group over others? I wanted to tell the church and government to gently caress off and side with the islanders.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Capn Beeb posted:

Wait, you can't choose to favor one group over others? I wanted to tell the church and government to gently caress off and side with the islanders.

It would appear not! The quest I am on specifically says to have all factions on your side. So what was the loving point of the faction system or the ability to piss them all off? Can you essentially make the game impossible to finish then? I am not going to bother finding out, I am done at this point.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
It seems like the entire basis of the game is that through nepotism you were appointed diplomat on behalf of a wealthy merchant guild to maintain trade relations between warring nations on a remote island where the native population is being displaced or converted, so I think you’d have to find some way to unite everyone even if you’re just bluntly lying to them. Maybe the faction system is some “hey you’re loving this up” warning system.

But i dont really know since i havent even told my cousin about the Terrible Secret History of the island yet

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Ooh my god, near the end of the game you have to convince all of the factions to be on your side. This essentially forces you to grind out doing all of the side content in order to finish the story. I give up, I can't do this, and I refuse to cause it's total bullshit.

lol, guess that complaint about it being problematic was on point.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Hey y'all, just started playing this yesterday and despite some bad buzz in this here thread I'm ganna keep with it. I find the world and system intriguing and am liking it so far.

Wondering though; it seems like this game isn't rife with different "builds" and weird combinations. How do you guys find magic, who have used it? They seem to have so many cool abilities that I kinda regreat playing a weeny trap-making rogue.

ALSO for those who want an RPG where you can tell the colonisers to eat poo poo; Pillars of Eternity 2 is imo one of the best CRPG's ever made and is all about companies warring over a string of islands wherein you can side with anyone or no one. Awesome game and universe..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Calico Heart posted:

Hey y'all, just started playing this yesterday and despite some bad buzz in this here thread I'm ganna keep with it. I find the world and system intriguing and am liking it so far.

Wondering though; it seems like this game isn't rife with different "builds" and weird combinations. How do you guys find magic, who have used it? They seem to have so many cool abilities that I kinda regreat playing a weeny trap-making rogue.

ALSO for those who want an RPG where you can tell the colonisers to eat poo poo; Pillars of Eternity 2 is imo one of the best CRPG's ever made and is all about companies warring over a string of islands wherein you can side with anyone or no one. Awesome game and universe..

I'm sure everyone in the thread has already played PoE2 tbh!

The magic is decent but your mana runs out VERY fast and it's not really easy to make it feel like you're not constantly mana starved. Storm is really strong though, the top ability in the magic tree.