Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Don't forget Tyranny (same developer, similar natives vs. occupiers theme).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Yea obsidian are generally really good even if the games are a bit buggy. There's a lot that good writing makes you gloss over and Spiders doesn't even have that.
At least Outer Worlds is soon.

I'd recommend for anyone playing Greedfall not to bother exploring areas until quests take you there. So often there's really no point, I genuinely can't think of even one quest I've picked up in the wilderness and I've explored six areas now.

Here's a good example - there's an Old Mine in the area to the right of your capital, a place you're likely to visit really early. In there is a rusted cog, a document that says you need to fix a cog and a recipe for a new cog.
You can make that cog for sure but you can't do anything with it until you get to that point in the main quest.
It's just bizzare. Close it off for story reasons until later or something, jeez.

Also you can have the same conversation with the miner in there a bunch of times where he's like "Who are you, we don't get many people down here". Just change that to "hello again", jeez.

Taear fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Sep 13, 2019

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
If you want a good game where you can help the natives, play Expeditions: Conquistador.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Finished the arena quest and was rewarded with a gold two handed sword. I can't use it but I think "Oh well, Kurt can - so it's not totally useless".
Nope, doesn't even appear in his inventory.

No idea why, Siora has a unique weapon equipped right now. Fine.

Also the "travel pause" merchant sells (so far, for me) the best weapons I've seen. They get upgraded too, unlike other merchants.

Taear fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Sep 13, 2019

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

GrossMurpel posted:

If you want a good game where you can help the natives, play Expeditions: Conquistador.

If you want a good game where you can murder the natives, play Expeditions: Vikings.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

jfood posted:

If you want a good game where you can murder the natives, play Expeditions: Vikings.

Pretty sure you can do that in Conquistador too :v:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

jfood posted:

Those Saxon bastards have only what, 300 years on the Vikings? gently caress em.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
In some ways this game reminds me of playing an MMO on a private emulated server. It has the assets/gear/quests, it has mobs standing around in small groups (sometimes all facing the same direction for no reason) without idle animations or patrol routes, and it has all the quest-related items/mobs not spawning until you take the quest so locations are inexplicably empty when you first arrive.

I do appreciate that so far the quests generally have some story behind them with multiple solutions rather than "collect 9 bear pelts for me" (with the exception of the land dispute sidequest between natives and colonists that forces you to run around town multiple times for legal guidance).

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

LentThem posted:

In some ways this game reminds me of playing an MMO on a private emulated server. It has the assets/gear/quests, it has mobs standing around in small groups (sometimes all facing the same direction for no reason) without idle animations or patrol routes, and it has all the quest-related items/mobs not spawning until you take the quest so locations are inexplicably empty when you first arrive.

Man yea this is so absolutely right. It definitely has that feel.

At the moment I'm doing a quest where I have to find a great healer - but I've already done another quest where I had to do that. The best healer, and she couldn't do anything. Why am I doing it again for a different great healer and if this one is so great why didn't they mention them before?! God drat the narrative in this is so bad.

Spoiler here related to a quest for the Nauts and Theleme, you'll know it if you've done it.
So the codex entry that talks about "my mother" was right, I am a native and now it suddenly makes sense. Funny that it spoils it ages ago. The thing is the birthmark you have could only be that you're a native and I can't believe she doesn't at least suspect. And that nobody notices it or talks about it.
The mark on your face feels like it should be so major and get talked about all the goddamn time but NOBODY SAYS A THING and it really drives me mad, it's like it's cut content or something.

And now about step three of Kurt's quest.
I found about the coup ages ago, why am I only talking about it when it is actually happening? It feels so disconnected from how part 2 ended. It was a fun quest though, only spoiled by having my companions glued to my side in the cut scene at the end. It's another one of those bits where it COULD have been good and so many little janky bits ruin it. Sending messages to the other towns when the coup is happening literally now and it takes 24 hours to get from town to town? Seems a pointless endeavor, why didn't I tell them about it when I learned about it ages ago?

Taear fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 13, 2019

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

jfood posted:

Seconded. Plus the effort of making it at least have some passing authenticity to the era and culture is impressive.

Edit to keep on topic: The facial expressions and "lip syncing" during conversations was really jarring for the first hour or so, but I rolled with it. I wish there was an obvious XP count for actions, bad guys/creatures killed, conversation challenges passed etc. Even just a floating +25XP up in the top right corner if players don't like seeing the numbers spill out of lifeless bodies. But then it wasn't especially immersion breaking with the "gentle glow" of the unlooted body or container.

Lars Blitzer fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 14, 2019

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I've finished the game. The jank pretty much stays all the way through and you really have to complete the side quests or you can't do a lot of the main quest.
Maybe you can ignore the "gathering the factions" stuff but it doesn't seem that way, at least.

Spoilers for the end.
I made Dedre the high king and she got rid of the colonists, but then the slides at the end told me that I lived with Siora and Kurt (leader of the coin guard) and Petrus (Cardinal in the city of the Theleme) still came to visit. How can they when they got driven off?
And I didn't seem to get a slide for my character, which is...a shame I guess.

uncalled for!
Dec 26, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

What's the music like? Big fan of Deriviere's work on Remember Me and Get Even, is he suitably epic and weird here?

A lot of it's the standard orchestral RPG fare, but one of the combat songs has some weird instrument making a warbling ooooOOoOOOOOOO sound when you finish a fight, which is cool

I think it's this one (it's missing the warbling though) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8r3DsbOAtU&t=955s

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

uncalled for! posted:

A lot of it's the standard orchestral RPG fare, but one of the combat songs has some weird instrument making a warbling ooooOOoOOOOOOO sound when you finish a fight, which is cool

I think it's this one (it's missing the warbling though) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8r3DsbOAtU&t=955s

Yea I will say the music is quite good. Nice themes over the top of many locations. Nothing absolutely stand out, but decent.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The same guy also did A Plague Tale: Innocence's soundtrack this year, which was really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqUMByvhKGY

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
This is my first game into this weird genre and it probably would have been a better purchase at $20. The storyline/quests are actually interesting and the graphics aren't that bad on the xbonex.

LentThem posted:

I do appreciate that so far the quests generally have some story behind them with multiple solutions rather than "collect 9 bear pelts for me" (with the exception of the land dispute sidequest between natives and colonists that forces you to run around town multiple times for legal guidance).

And yes that's what this reminds me of, all these game systems, open empty areas, pointless loot... just an unfinished emulated private server for an MMO.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I want to refund this game but I have refunded like 5 or more games and dont wanna get in trouble. I dont enjoy this game at all after like 76 minutes. Combat sucks. Story sucks. World is pretty but everything in it is flat, bland, and boring.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ghostinmyshell posted:

This is my first game into this weird genre and it probably would have been a better purchase at $20. The storyline/quests are actually interesting and the graphics aren't that bad on the xbonex.

The last....maybe 10 hours feels like doing the ashlander quests in Morrowind. Honestly, it's just irritating as gently caress.

vandalism posted:

I want to refund this game but I have refunded like 5 or more games and dont wanna get in trouble. I dont enjoy this game at all after like 76 minutes. Combat sucks. Story sucks. World is pretty but everything in it is flat, bland, and boring.

It's automatic, nobody is checking. Do whatever you like!

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Taear posted:

The last....maybe 10 hours feels like doing the ashlander quests in Morrowind. Honestly, it's just irritating as gently caress.

It's automatic, nobody is checking. Do whatever you like!

Turns out I played 4 hours. Whoops.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

vandalism posted:

Turns out I played 4 hours. Whoops.

Sucks to be you. I bought it from a site that only refunds in store credit (not a dodgy one) so I couldn't refund it either.

When I read the Greedfall forum the amount of people saying that the sidequests are great is just absolutely blowing my mind. They require so much walking, so much busywork. And all the choices are fake too, it gives you the idea that it'll make a difference but really there's one path and if you deviate it forces you back on it anyway. I guess not everyone cares about internal consistency but for me I'd rather do all the MMOG quests in the world than do a single quest where it's contradicting previous info or my character is being randomly racist or whatever the gently caress Greedfall loves to do.
The positive reviews are honestly blowing my mind and it's the first time I've agreed with critics more than steam reviews.

Taear fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Sep 16, 2019

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Taear posted:

Sucks to be you. I bought it from a site that only refunds in store credit (not a dodgy one) so I couldn't refund it either.

When I read the Greedfall forum the amount of people saying that the sidequests are great is just absolutely blowing my mind. They require so much walking, so much busywork. And all the choices are fake too, it gives you the idea that it'll make a difference but really there's one path and if you deviate it forces you back on it anyway. I guess not everyone cares about internal consistency but for me I'd rather do all the MMOG quests in the world than do a single quest where it's contradicting previous info or my character is being randomly racist or whatever the gently caress Greedfall loves to do.
The positive reviews are honestly blowing my mind and it's the first time I've agreed with critics more than steam reviews.

the negativitiy here is what surprises me a bit, but maybe thats because of the pricing? I think it would've been suited better for 40 bucks max., rather 35 even.

Its pretty good in many areas for what I assume was their budget. I for one like most of the sidequests because I like most of the characters. They're very well voiced and the main protagonist is pretty likeable too. It's production value is clearly as expected, or what was once referred to as "AA", but still enjoyable in general. Some design choices are rather questionable but I for one also think that most high production value games are bad since they have no edge left.
I also dislike RPGs that have me read 4 books of on-screen story only because they have no budget to make a cutscene or an interactive story out of it but still see the need to be super detailed about everything. I don't really see games as a good medium to wall of texts so having a brief overview with a proper tone in the environment set is enough for me to make up the rest of it in my mind.

I think it's an overall good action RPG. I like the world, the clues they've taken from other games such as The Witcher for the tone and setting and the general world construction. It's definitively much more likeable and outright better in most areas as Risen 2 or 3 for example when I have to think of somewhat similar games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't know if Spiders has much control over the pricing even if they did think it wasn't a 50bux game. The last few Focus Home Interactive games have all started at that price point.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

haldolium posted:

the negativitiy here is what surprises me a bit, but maybe thats because of the pricing? I think it would've been suited better for 40 bucks max., rather 35 even.

Its pretty good in many areas for what I assume was their budget. I for one like most of the sidequests because I like most of the characters. They're very well voiced and the main protagonist is pretty likeable too. It's production value is clearly as expected, or what was once referred to as "AA", but still enjoyable in general. Some design choices are rather questionable but I for one also think that most high production value games are bad since they have no edge left.
I also dislike RPGs that have me read 4 books of on-screen story only because they have no budget to make a cutscene or an interactive story out of it but still see the need to be super detailed about everything. I don't really see games as a good medium to wall of texts so having a brief overview with a proper tone in the environment set is enough for me to make up the rest of it in my mind.

I think it's an overall good action RPG. I like the world, the clues they've taken from other games such as The Witcher for the tone and setting and the general world construction. It's definitively much more likeable and outright better in most areas as Risen 2 or 3 for example when I have to think of somewhat similar games.

I dunno, I'd never call it an AA game either. It's just unbelievably badly put together.
I think maybe it depends how you play. What I tended to do was get quests and then head towards them, clearing out the bits before it. But that's a REALLY poo poo way to do it in this and it sours me on it - you clear areas out and nothing happens, you can only do areas if you've got the quests for them.

And because the enemies respawn it makes it feel like even more of a waste of time.

Then you're dragging yourself through area after area AGAIN because you weren't allowed to do it the first time.

Also not being able to read dialogue then skip it when it's a "sequence" really REALLY annoys me, I don't want to hear it voiced I want to read it and carry on please. So I stop paying attention, because I've read what they're saying and it's going to take longer to finish saying it.

I've not played Risen but I still feel Gothic 2/3 worked far better as games than Greedfall does. Hell in this two handed weapons are an upgrade from one handers and there's no dual wielding or shields. It feels obsessed with taking away any choice or anything exciting from every goddamn step of it.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Taear posted:

I dunno, I'd never call it an AA game either. It's just unbelievably badly put together.
I think maybe it depends how you play. What I tended to do was get quests and then head towards them, clearing out the bits before it. But that's a REALLY poo poo way to do it in this and it sours me on it - you clear areas out and nothing happens, you can only do areas if you've got the quests for them.

And because the enemies respawn it makes it feel like even more of a waste of time.

Then you're dragging yourself through area after area AGAIN because you weren't allowed to do it the first time.

Also not being able to read dialogue then skip it when it's a "sequence" really REALLY annoys me, I don't want to hear it voiced I want to read it and carry on please. So I stop paying attention, because I've read what they're saying and it's going to take longer to finish saying it.

I've not played Risen but I still feel Gothic 2/3 worked far better as games than Greedfall does. Hell in this two handed weapons are an upgrade from one handers and there's no dual wielding or shields. It feels obsessed with taking away any choice or anything exciting from every goddamn step of it.

Yeah pacing could be better, and also as many games I think it's a bit too large for what it is in it's core but I make use of quick travel for that. And enemies at least give decent XP for level up so they're not a total waste in the end. Skipping cinematics per line is super uncommon even for large productions, so I don't consider that a particular bad missing feature. It has a lot of convenient QoL things that are not the standard though, even common line skipping is still missing in many games. Like also if you're running towards doors you don't have to press the open button. Or even with the environment being very restrictive in where you can go and the lack of jumping, you usually still can drop down conveniently and don't have to circle all the way back to the ladder.

Whats the level cap in this anyways? 30?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

haldolium posted:

Yeah pacing could be better, and also as many games I think it's a bit too large for what it is in it's core but I make use of quick travel for that. And enemies at least give decent XP for level up so they're not a total waste in the end. Skipping cinematics per line is super uncommon even for large productions, so I don't consider that a particular bad missing feature. It has a lot of convenient QoL things that are not the standard though, even common line skipping is still missing in many games. Like also if you're running towards doors you don't have to press the open button. Or even with the environment being very restrictive in where you can go and the lack of jumping, you usually still can drop down conveniently and don't have to circle all the way back to the ladder.

Whats the level cap in this anyways? 30?

It seems to be effectively 46 but I ended at 34.

And I've genuinely not played a game where I can't skip line by line, it is normally like that. From Fire Emblem to Dragon Age.

I think that the door thing is related to the NPCs not being loaded until you open the door, that's why it works so strangely. If you go to the Coin Tavern (the one that's identical in every city, you know the one) and open the door the people are all stood on the table for a second like they've loaded in.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
I haven't finished this yet so it may get worse, but as janky as this game is I'd still consider it a tier above a lot of the kickstarter stuff I've played that had similar hub-and-spoke action rpg ambitions (Insomnia - The Ark, We Happy Few, Ghost of a Tale); those generally had worse issues with pacing and/or introducing concepts and game mechanics that never get utilized.

So as far as flaws go, stuff like "the game world has a lot of areas that are useless to visit unless there's an active quest" doesn't really compare to "XP scaling is done in a way that reaching level 15 is nearly impossible and you'll only have enough points for 10% of the game's skills" or "Nearly a third of the craftable items require materials that you'll never find enough of during your playthrough". Though to be fair two of those games are at the $25-30 price point currently.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I'm loving this game so far, really seems like the old Spiders games but better in every way.
Some recommended level indicator for the quests would help though.

Taear posted:

It seems to be effectively 46 but I ended at 34.

And I've genuinely not played a game where I can't skip line by line, it is normally like that. From Fire Emblem to Dragon Age.

I think that the door thing is related to the NPCs not being loaded until you open the door, that's why it works so strangely. If you go to the Coin Tavern (the one that's identical in every city, you know the one) and open the door the people are all stood on the table for a second like they've loaded in.

You can't skip cutscenes in DA:O line by line.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 16, 2019

Meatwolfe
Oct 31, 2011
I haven't had internet aside from.my for for four years now, and I test games in my spare time. That must be why I like this game so much, I dont even notice any jank aside from the facial animations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

GrossMurpel posted:

I'm loving this game so far, really seems like the old Spiders games but better in every way.
Some recommended level indicator for the quests would help though.

You can't skip cutscenes in DA:O line by line.

DA:O is from 2009 though.

As far as it seems even if something is much higher level than me it was pretty easy, and I never met a boss who was higher level. I ended the game in my mid 30s but I levelled maybe 10 levels early on when I thought they wanted us to explore.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Taear posted:

DA:O is from 2009 though.

As far as it seems even if something is much higher level than me it was pretty easy, and I never met a boss who was higher level. I ended the game in my mid 30s but I levelled maybe 10 levels early on when I thought they wanted us to explore.

Oh yeah it's just cause you said Dragon Age has line by line skipping :shrug: I suppose it's not a fair comparison either way because Greedfall goes into "cutscene mode" far more often.
And I'm playing on extreme so everything has loads of HP already but it'd be nice to know when you can enter an arena fight without your companions dying within 2 seconds.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 17, 2019

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

GrossMurpel posted:

Oh yeah it's just cause you said Dragon Age has line by line skipping :shrug: I suppose it's not a fair comparison either way because Greedfall goes into "cutscene mode" far more often.
And I'm playing on extreme so everything has loads of HP already but it'd be nice to know when you can enter an arena fight without your companions dying within 2 seconds.

Arena wise it seems like about level 20 is the level you should be able to finish it. The reward is a two handed sword though, just to warn you.
And the final rounds of it (number 5) has a level of humans and then a boss which are way easier than the ones against those stupid shark beasts or the bats.

Sorry yea I meant DA:I, although DA:O doesn't really have as many voiced lines and it wasn't as much of a bother. Can't you reply to a person as they're speaking and cut them off?

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008

Taear posted:

Also does anyone else find fighting large groups really annoying? If I lock onto an enemy I can't move properly so dodging becomes really hard but she's just constantly loving off to attack a totally different enemy all the time from the one I'm currently engaged with. It's especially bad in the arena and with certain enemies, I have no idea why.

this is actually my preferred combat. i'm playing a ranged / alchemy build, so i can lay traps and dance out of the way while the enemies blow themselves up on my explosive runes.

game is wonderful, seriously. yes, it's janky. the subtitles are misspelled and hilarious (the "fantom" regiment?!). often, i'll be talking to an NPC, and in the background, another NPC is walking into a wall. the faces are tragic.

but the writing is pretty good (so far), and i am loving the combat as an alchemist. the world is intricate and interesting.

i'd recommend this thing if you're a fan of some jankiness.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Hyzenth1ay posted:

this is actually my preferred combat. i'm playing a ranged / alchemy build, so i can lay traps and dance out of the way while the enemies blow themselves up on my explosive runes.

game is wonderful, seriously. yes, it's janky. the subtitles are misspelled and hilarious (the "fantom" regiment?!). often, i'll be talking to an NPC, and in the background, another NPC is walking into a wall. the faces are tragic.

but the writing is pretty good (so far), and i am loving the combat as an alchemist. the world is intricate and interesting.

i'd recommend this thing if you're a fan of some jankiness.

Yeah combat is fine without lockon, it's like Witcher 2 or 3 in that regard. Just aim at dudes.

Taear posted:

Arena wise it seems like about level 20 is the level you should be able to finish it. The reward is a two handed sword though, just to warn you.
And the final rounds of it (number 5) has a level of humans and then a boss which are way easier than the ones against those stupid shark beasts or the bats.

Sorry yea I meant DA:I, although DA:O doesn't really have as many voiced lines and it wasn't as much of a bother. Can't you reply to a person as they're speaking and cut them off?

Well I did say in cutscenes. We clearly talked past each other here, sorry.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
The only time I've ever used lock-on in combat is if the fight is just one large monster, like the final arena fight or the squid-face guys. Speaking of the arena I finished it at lvl 16-17; it was like one of those boss fights that I always hated in Dragon's Dogma where teammates die almost instantly and you spend like 8 minutes just dodging around and chipping away at health and armor and burning through potions so that it won't be a 15-minute fight.

Unrelated but the voice actor for Petrus has a voice like a cheshire cat, goddamn its soothing and unnerving at the same time

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Hyzenth1ay posted:

Any game where I'm sent to find a great healer, find they can't do it and then another quest sends me to find ANOTHER great healer with no mention of the first quest can frankly gently caress off.

With combat when you're using a weapon she'll just go after any enemy that's close unless you lock on. Sometimes that doesn't matter - with the enemies that have lots of armour it's really frustrating.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I'm liking this game so far. The story does has some weird pacing issues where it was written with a certain quest order in mind, but the game doesn't care in which order you do things and it can get a bit weird and confusing. But it's not bad and so far it has kept my attention.
I think it helps that I haven't poopsocked it. My play sessions aren't long enough for me to get really annoyed with the lack of polish and various smaller issues.

The one mayor complaint I do have is that the companions are pretty much useless in combat. In any serious fight they go down within seconds.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Raygereio posted:

The one mayor complaint I do have is that the companions are pretty much useless in combat. In any serious fight they go down within seconds.

Have you been upgrading their equipment alongside your own? That was an issue with me for the first few levels before I twigged onto that.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Raygereio posted:

I'm liking this game so far. The story does has some weird pacing issues where it was written with a certain quest order in mind, but the game doesn't care in which order you do things and it can get a bit weird and confusing. But it's not bad and so far it has kept my attention.
I think it helps that I haven't poopsocked it. My play sessions aren't long enough for me to get really annoyed with the lack of polish and various smaller issues.

I noticed this when I stumbled across the first of the boss monsters in a zone, like the one that pops out of the boat in the intro. They do well enough with secondhand gear against mooks, but in that fight they'd just run into melee, get splattered by one or two aoe attacks that they never bother to get out of, and never afford me an opportunity to get some breathing space for a potion or whatever. The thing didn't even have a skull, just a shitload of armor.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I've been enjoying this game. Jank and all. I kind of like that it's almost like an early to mid 2000's game. Less annoying little things to worry about like hunger and sleep mechanics.

Think I've played for about 26 hours so far. Haven't done many of the main quests as I've been messing about with all the side quests.

Tempted to try and level my guy up as high as I can. Anyone have any good leveling areas?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Lars Blitzer posted:

Have you been upgrading their equipment alongside your own? That was an issue with me for the first few levels before I twigged onto that.
Yeah, I've been throwing them some of my left overs. But it doesn't really do much. Damage mitigation revolves primarily around dodging and parrying and the AI doesn't do that effectively.
Mind you, I'm not going to judge Greedfall too harshly with this. Creating an effective companion AI is pretty complex and difficult. Plenty of other games with 10 times the budget this game had can't get that work right either. But every time I see Aphra run into an enemy's face instead sitting back and shoot I do sigh a little.

On the subject of equipment: The itemization is another thing that's slightly bugging me. Finding decent items as loot or treasure seems very rare. I'm level 17 and am still using the Rapier I found when I first entered New Selene. I've seen plenty of stuff with better stats in stores, but gold is too scarce to spend to freely so :shrug:
I guess I've gotten used to the Bioware/Bethesda approach to items where you're buried in the stuff. It feels a bit weird to go so long without every slot on the paper doll having been upgraded at least 3 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Custard Undies posted:

I've been enjoying this game. Jank and all. I kind of like that it's almost like an early to mid 2000's game. Less annoying little things to worry about like hunger and sleep mechanics.

Think I've played for about 26 hours so far. Haven't done many of the main quests as I've been messing about with all the side quests.

Tempted to try and level my guy up as high as I can. Anyone have any good leveling areas?

The arena in the basement of the tavern is THE place to grind levels if you want.

Also if anyone else missed it for most of the game like I did, Charisma is the talent that will raise your companion’s stats.