Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

GreedFall is the latest game from Spiders, a European studio with an... ambitious but very jank track record. Their newest entry is a third-person RPG boasting real-time (with pause) combat set in a colonial-era fantasy setting. As a young nobleman/woman your character winds up getting involved with the political intrigue between the three different nations setting up colonies on this unexplored island and the natives themselves,all while trying to seek a cure for the plague back home known as the Malichor. Your choices... might have far-reaching consequences, I myself haven't played far enough into the game to see if that's true but you can gain/lose favor with the different factions and your party members, who come from several distinct walks of life. As for the combat system, you can spec into multiple skills, allowing more flexibility-do you want to be a stabby type who also has shoot-gun? Sure. Wizard who also hits people with big sticks? Totally doable.

Anyway I'm not every good at this sales pitch thing so long story short, if you like Eurojank RPGs like Witcher 2, I would suggest giving this a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I bought the game, played it a bit. Mechanics seem solid, unfortunately it's super narrative heavy which I'm not really into so I refunded it at 86 minutes played on Steam. Also it has Andromeda-esque face animations which is really unfortunate when combined with the aforementioned super narrative heavy aspect. The voice acting was quite good though.

It does seem like a decidedly solid game from what little I played, just not my thing. That's my story hope you liked it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The facial animation are definitely not the best, but in general the game looks solid with great art direction (so far I've only explored the starting city). The prologue is very story heavy with only minimal combat, but I expect it will open up a lot after departing for the main area.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Liking this so far!

One thing I'm not sure about is the skill tree... are the skills with two paths leading to them combo skills, like do I need to go through both the trap tree and the magic ring tree for shadow burst?

I suck at dodge/parry based combat. :( Should see if you can make a purely ranged build of some kind.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Sep 11, 2019

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Hopped into this on a whim, in part because there are not nearly enough games set in a pseudo early modern/renaissance setting. Love myself some tricornes and rapiers. I've only played a couple of hours, but it does seem pretty good so far. I especially like how firearms tend to just utterly blast people off their feet.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Avalerion posted:

Liking this so far!

One thing I'm not sure about is the skill tree... are the skills with two paths leading to them combo skills, like do I need to go through both the trap tree and the magic ring tree for shadow burst?

I suck at dodge/parry based combat. :( Should see if you can make a purely ranged build of some kind.

You don't, no. As long as you've got one path to it, you can open it.
It costs 2 skill points though. You also can't follow the path from those joint skills, the arrow only goes one way. So I can get Magic Healing via the blunt tree but can't go from Magic Healing into the magic tree itself.

Perestroika posted:

Hopped into this on a whim, in part because there are not nearly enough games set in a pseudo early modern/renaissance setting. Love myself some tricornes and rapiers. I've only played a couple of hours, but it does seem pretty good so far. I especially like how firearms tend to just utterly blast people off their feet.

It's funny to me how often I get "Fallen down!" on an enemy but they're absolutely definitely not fallen down at all. Although when it does work they never get back up with my mace, which is very nice.

VolticSurge posted:

Anyway I'm not every good at this sales pitch thing so long story short, if you like Eurojank RPGs like Witcher 2, I would suggest giving this a look.

Man - that's a proper false equivalence. Witcher 2 is a good game with very little jank. This game can't even spell "promise" right in the subtitles. Or smuggler! And the controls are mislabeled in the menus - it says dodge when it means parry and loads of other bits like that.
This can affect gameplay when you get a quest following some "wildemen" and it turns out to just be a single thing, that confused me a bit.

Greedfall also has some really questionable stuff. Calling natives that kill the colonists rebels is uncomfortable to me.
In a quest involving said "rebels" I had two options. Either attack them or "leave". But everywhere else leave just ends the conversation rather than actually saying much. Yet here it gave a big speech and she walked off without fighting them. It's another small thing but it's confusing and a bit annoying.

And talking natives - they have bizzare accents. At times it's a bit Tralee/south west ireland style. But then with random...changes in. It's like every native actor was told to do an irish voice and "mix it up". It's really offputting and I hate listening to them speak. That's a me thing rather than a game thing but ugh, stop it guys.

Taear fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Sep 11, 2019

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008

Taear posted:

You don't, no. As long as you've got one path to it, you can open it.
It costs 2 skill points though. You also can't follow the path from those joint skills, the arrow only goes one way. So I can get Magic Healing via the blunt tree but can't go from Magic Healing into the magic tree itself.

It's funny to me how often I get "Fallen down!" on an enemy but they're absolutely definitely not fallen down at all. Although when it does work they never get back up with my mace, which is very nice.

Man - that's a proper false equivalence. Witcher 2 is a good game with very little jank. This game can't even spell "promise" right in the subtitles. Or smuggler! And the controls are mislabeled in the menus - it says dodge when it means parry and loads of other bits like that.
This can affect gameplay when you get a quest following some "wildemen" and it turns out to just be a single thing, that confused me a bit.

Greedfall also has some really questionable stuff. Calling natives that kill the colonists rebels is uncomfortable to me.
In a quest involving said "rebels" I had two options. Either attack them or "leave". But everywhere else leave just ends the conversation rather than actually saying much. Yet here it gave a big speech and she walked off without fighting them. It's another small thing but it's confusing and a bit annoying.

And talking natives - they have bizzare accents. At times it's a bit Tralee/south west ireland style. But then with random...changes in. It's like every native actor was told to do an irish voice and "mix it up". It's really offputting and I hate listening to them speak. That's me thing rather than a game thing but ugh, stop it guys.

But that is what characters of that perspective would call them? Is realistic dialogue questionable?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Taear posted:

Uhhh, this sounds pretty questionable in itself? Are you suggesting natives who kill colonists aren't engaged in legitimate resistance?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Uhhh, this sounds pretty questionable in itself? Are you suggesting natives who kill colonists aren't engaged in legitimate resistance?

Yeah, I don't understand that complaint. Of course the rear end in a top hat colonists are going to call the natives rebels. I don't remember any conversation in which the main character calls them that anyways.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Yeah, I don't understand that complaint. Of course the rear end in a top hat colonists are going to call the natives rebels. I don't remember any conversation in which the main character calls them that anyways.

She calls them that the whole quest long. I'm saying they're not rebels because the colonists aren't the government. The game doesn't call them rebels elsewhere - just in this particular quest in that area.
It's really weird and there's a lot of stuff like that.

In a similar quest later I tried to get two native groups to get together and one killed the other. And my answer was oh okay fine, I HAD to support the colonists and couldn't do anything about it.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

No I'm suggesting the exact opposite? They're not rebels, they're an uprising against the colonial system itself - they're not rising up against a legitimate government here.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Sometimes my companion gets a bunch of swirling glowing particles around him, and i don't know what it meas. I suspect it's something combat related, but I don't think the tutorials mentioned it. Any ideas?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Taear posted:

No I'm suggesting the exact opposite? They're not rebels, they're an uprising against the colonial system itself - they're not rising up against a legitimate government here.

Fair enough. I guess there are different connotations to rebel.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

Sometimes my companion gets a bunch of swirling glowing particles around him, and i don't know what it meas. I suspect it's something combat related, but I don't think the tutorials mentioned it. Any ideas?

Is it kurt? I think he's drinking a Balance Potion, it's his "special action" in combat.

Talking of weird parts - there's a place in Glendgnamvar called "Bedri" and the description says this:
"The Doneigada of the Sisaig cnameis clan had custody of it, but your mother was abducted before she could share her knowledge"

Is this....telling me something I shouldn't know or what the hell?

I feel the game has a few times said that I'm a native and that's why I have this mark on my face but nobody else mentions it and it's pretty loving weird. I feel like I missed a whole 'bit' explaining the mark.

Taear fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 11, 2019

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There've been plenty of rebellions where native pops fought against colonizers / imperial power... Why must a rebellion be against a "legitimate" government.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Taear posted:

Is it kurt? I think he's drinking a Balance Potion, it's his "special action" in combat.

Yeah, it's him. Thanks!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

There've been plenty of rebellions where native pops fought against colonizers / imperial power... Why must a rebellion be against a "legitimate" government.

A rebellion is an uprising against your leader - at least that's how I've always considered it.
Why is my character considering these natives legitimately part of the Bridge Alliance? I don't even know where they're based!

Also does anyone else find fighting large groups really annoying? If I lock onto an enemy I can't move properly so dodging becomes really hard but she's just constantly loving off to attack a totally different enemy all the time from the one I'm currently engaged with. It's especially bad in the arena and with certain enemies, I have no idea why.

Taear fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 11, 2019

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Taear posted:

A rebellion is an uprising against your leader - at least that's how I've always considered it.
Why is my character considering these natives legitimately part of the Bridge Alliance? I don't even know where they're based!

I'd say that's more mutiny or coup. Slave rebellions could hardly be considered rebellions against a legitimate leader.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I'd say that's more mutiny or coup. Slave rebellions could hardly be considered rebellions against a legitimate leader.

No but it's rebellions against their "owner" - the person the law considers is their ruler.
Does the law (and my character, more importantly) consider these natives the property of the bridge alliance? If it does why doesn't it consider the same for the villages around? What makes these guys different?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Slave and indigenous uprisings were commonplace all throughout the colonial era. Participants in these revolts were called rebels back then just as they are today. This is one of the weirdest derails I've seen in awhile.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Slave and indigenous uprisings were commonplace all throughout the colonial era. Participants in these revolts were called rebels back then just as they are today. This is one of the weirdest derails I've seen in awhile.

They're at war (the natives and the bridge alliance). The game says they're at war.
How are they rebels? Why is my character calling them that?

It's just a weird thing, that's all.

Has anyone got to the Old Mine yet? I found a cog in there that I made into a "New Cog" but I don't know what to do with it. There's a spot it feels like it'd fit but I can't interact with it.
There's so many bits in this game where it's hard to tell if you're just loving up or you're not meant to do it yet. Bits of map you can't reach and etc

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Taear posted:

I feel the game has a few times said that I'm a native and that's why I have this mark on my face but nobody else mentions it and it's pretty loving weird. I feel like I missed a whole 'bit' explaining the mark.

I assumed that's from the sickness everyone's going on about.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Avalerion posted:

Yea - I did too but it's not. It's a native thing apparently.

I think they do a bad job of explaining the face mark and also the disease. It's weird since that seems to be the main story!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Taear posted:

No but it's rebellions against their "owner" - the person the law considers is their ruler.
Does the law (and my character, more importantly) consider these natives the property of the bridge alliance? If it does why doesn't it consider the same for the villages around? What makes these guys different?

I remember at least 1 conversation where someone from the Bridge Alliance had said that they had fought the natives previous to this game. This would make some sense as the Alliance is the first colonizing nation to build their city (other than the really old war with the mystery colonizers that you see in the ruins painting). It doesn't seem like the tribes have united leadership so maybe they only had a truce/agreement with Soira's tribe? You might be further along/have done different quests than I have so far so I could be wrong.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I do not own this videogame but I will in the foreseeable future because I love Spiders.
How viable is magic as a sole combat style? In the older games it was pretty much just supplementary for buffing your weapon or doing a quick attack similar to gun attacks. I worry I'd run out of mana constantly just attacking beefy enemies on high difficulties.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Avalerion posted:

The Malichor is the purple vein/rotting disease that you see some people have, including the main character's mom in the beginning. The green mark (I forget what the natives call it) is something that is said that only natives sometimes get but for some reason the player character "looks like a native"/has the green mark.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

GrossMurpel posted:

I do not own this videogame but I will in the foreseeable future because I love Spiders.
How viable is magic as a sole combat style? In the older games it was pretty much just supplementary for buffing your weapon or doing a quick attack similar to gun attacks. I worry I'd run out of mana constantly just attacking beefy enemies on high difficulties.

From what I've seen, you need a mix of ranged magic and melee. Magic seems pretty disappointing in this game imo. I guess you could try to do pure ranged by specializing in both magic and guns but that might be kinda difficult. You can craft poisons and stuff to put on your blade but thats "science" rather than magic. You get some buffs/debuff magic along with your magic missile type offense.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Magic is fine as a backup (I play kinda a paladin who uses a two hander and heals) but you run out of mana fast and it takes a while to regenerate.
I'd definitely not say it was something you could rely on exclusively without it being annoying.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
That's fine, I've played "melee dude who uses buffs and traps and stuff" in every one of their games out of necessity.
I thought magic penetrating armor would be a big deal that makes it very usable, guess not?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am just kinda playing this game, but I don't feel much towards it. The world is cool looking, but that is about it? Greedfall is just very average and not noteworthy. The interior level design, and puzzles are terrible.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

GrossMurpel posted:

That's fine, I've played "melee dude who uses buffs and traps and stuff" in every one of their games out of necessity.
I thought magic penetrating armor would be a big deal that makes it very usable, guess not?

A two handed weapon deals with armour far better.

I said come in! posted:

I am just kinda playing this game, but I don't feel much towards it. The world is cool looking, but that is about it? Greedfall is just very average and not noteworthy. The interior level design, and puzzles are terrible.

Yea god I get lost in small areas so loving often because of how they're designed, I really wish there was a mini map

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
I've been tearing poo poo up just using my magic uppercut and the big explosion spell that stuns everything around you, I also picked up the teleport dash dodge and that's really useful too. I'm thinking about respeccing the starter points in blunt weapons into more magic (if those get refunded) because so far they've been a complete waste.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
That bit where your going to introduce yourself to the mother cardinal in Saint Matus is pretty :catstare:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Mehrunes posted:

I've been tearing poo poo up just using my magic uppercut and the big explosion spell that stuns everything around you, I also picked up the teleport dash dodge and that's really useful too. I'm thinking about respeccing the starter points in blunt weapons into more magic (if those get refunded) because so far they've been a complete waste.

But how much time in each combat encounter do you spend just spamming dodge waiting for your mana to regen?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Caidin posted:

That bit where your going to introduce yourself to the mother cardinal in Saint Matus is pretty :catstare:

If you have the native lady with you the inquisitor challenges you and you can tell him to gently caress off, then you have a fight
It was weird but interesting

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Taear posted:

If you have the native lady with you the inquisitor challenges you and you can tell him to gently caress off, then you have a fight

This is something that is cool about the game! I haven't really seen something like this since Baldurs Gate, where who is in your party can result in different outcomes during dialog.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Taear posted:

That's exactly what happened actually, the lunatic ducked my 75% cha check too. Probably shouldn't bring my newest buddy with when I go check out Hekmit or whatever it's called.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
My wife and I picked this up (chasing that sweet, sweet Witcher 3 hit), and so far it's decent. The combat flow is fine and aside from the lackluster facial animations, the story at least pulls you in. I find the main appeal is that Morrowind-style "completely alien" world; it's got plenty to recognize within European and classical cues, but it feels like a ton of eras and cultures are being mashed together. The European sailors with Polynesian/Maori tattoos are a particularly cool take on seafarers. It's so much more interesting than another euro-centrically styled RPG.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I ended up fighting in an arena and just get murdered instantly even on easy, don't know if I'm underleveled/under geared or what.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

GrossMurpel posted:

But how much time in each combat encounter do you spend just spamming dodge waiting for your mana to regen?

Almost none.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Avalerion posted:

I ended up fighting in an arena and just get murdered instantly even on easy, don't know if I'm underleveled/under geared or what.

Which bit are you on of the arena and how many people do you have with you? It's easier with the native who can heal