Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments

Raygereio posted:

Yeah, I've been throwing them some of my left overs. But it doesn't really do much. Damage mitigation revolves primarily around dodging and parrying and the AI doesn't do that effectively.

Raygereio posted:

I've seen plenty of stuff with better stats in stores, but gold is too scarce to spend to freely so :shrug:

These two complaints together suggest you haven't been putting points into the god-tier attribute, Charisma. At Charisma 3, I'm rolling in dough, am completely geared out and my Kurt is a complete murder machine who's often killed 2-3 wolfthingers to my 1.

For anyone struggling, forget traps and ring spells. Cast Stasis (with the damage bonus node) and 1HKO them with your sword if you have the backstab node.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Merrill Grinch posted:

These two complaints together suggest you haven't been putting points into the god-tier attribute, Charisma. At Charisma 3, I'm rolling in dough, am completely geared out and my Kurt is a complete murder machine who's often killed 2-3 wolfthingers to my 1.

For anyone struggling, forget traps and ring spells. Cast Stasis (with the damage bonus node) and 1HKO them with your sword if you have the backstab node.

What difficulty?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Merrill Grinch posted:

These two complaints together suggest you haven't been putting points into the god-tier attribute, Charisma.
I haven't put any points in Charisma, correct. Might be worth starting over then since I'm not that far into it yet.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments

GrossMurpel posted:

What difficulty?

Normal I guess. I haven't futzed with the difficulties.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Raygereio posted:

I haven't put any points in Charisma, correct. Might be worth starting over then since I'm not that far into it yet.

It's not too late. You can equip stuff like a cape to buff your Charisma, which is helpful.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Raygereio posted:

On the subject of equipment: The itemization is another thing that's slightly bugging me. Finding decent items as loot or treasure seems very rare. I'm level 17 and am still using the Rapier I found when I first entered New Selene. I've seen plenty of stuff with better stats in stores, but gold is too scarce to spend to freely so :shrug:
I guess I've gotten used to the Bioware/Bethesda approach to items where you're buried in the stuff. It feels a bit weird to go so long without every slot on the paper doll having been upgraded at least 3 times.

All the best stuff is bought and that stays true until the very end of the game.
The merchant in the "travel pause" updates as you level up and has new items.

I always had shitloads of money from selling animal bits but I raised my charisma since I thought it'd be good for talking my way out of stuff.
Doesn't work like that most of the time but it's one of the few skills that's actually seriously useful

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Are there any console commands I can use to address broken quests? I ran into one near the end of the game and going with a backup save would take me a few hours with no guarantee it works.

Quest: On the trail of the high king

Bug: apparently there's an issue with the "Find Cera" at her village part of this quest if you get to it before resolving the "Finding Constantine" quest. The marker points to a random empty area in the village near the fast travel point and nobody there will talk to you. Anyone run into it and try and fix it

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Hackan Slash posted:

Are there any console commands I can use to address broken quests? I ran into one near the end of the game and going with a backup save would take me a few hours with no guarantee it works.

Quest: On the trail of the high king

Bug: apparently there's an issue with the "Find Cera" at her village part of this quest if you get to it before resolving the "Finding Constantine" quest. The marker points to a random empty area in the village near the fast travel point and nobody there will talk to you. Anyone run into it and try and fix it

Your game is broken now unless you can go back to a previous point in the save.
That said I did it in the "wrong order" and was very lucky that she sprung an ambush on me anyway.

There's understandably a lot of people pretty mad about this and Trial of Water on the forums.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Yeah, I'm really liking the voice actor for Father Petrus. He's an interesting enough character that I tend to keep him around.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007

Taear posted:

Your game is broken now unless you can go back to a previous point in the save.
That said I did it in the "wrong order" and was very lucky that she sprung an ambush on me anyway.

There's understandably a lot of people pretty mad about this and Trial of Water on the forums.

Well that's a shame. I guess I'm shelving this and hoping the upcoming patch address it a part of "fix bugged quests"

Moral_Hazard posted:

Yeah, I'm really liking the voice actor for Father Petrus. He's an interesting enough character that I tend to keep him around.

I really like the voice acting in general for this game, I think it's one of its strong points.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Hackan Slash posted:

Well that's a shame. I guess I'm shelving this and hoping the upcoming patch address it a part of "fix bugged quests"

They have said they'll fix the bugged quests but it might break your save.
So....yea.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I'm about 15 hours in and this game is... okay, kinda. It's like a C- for me, probably not worth the $50 sticker price

I can forgive a lot of the low-budget jank but man is all the backtracking annoying. I swear if another quest prompts me to go talk to Courcillon I'm going to lose it. Oh get some legal advice from him, run to the basement and get a contract from the archives, talk to the one Lady, go back to him.

gently caress this why am I, fancypants nephew of the Prince and legate of the nation, running simple errands? Surely there are some no-name clerks and ministers who could fetch a contract from the basement.

Anyhow, it seems like Craftsmen talent is mostly worthless? The blacksmith in New Serene will craft tier-3 mods for you so why bother with the talent?

Same with Lockpicking. It only seems useful for opening chests and they're barely better loot than unlocked chests, no unique or powerful items just some ammo and alchemy stuff. All the locked doors have keys easily accessible.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
I actually enjoyed Greedfall more than Outer World's. The strength of the game is the characters/story, while the rest is acceptable. A big thing to remember is there's never a reason to explore a place where you don't have a quest marker.

For skills, remember you can get +1 of most skills from an armor attachment, and another +1 from a companion. There's not any I can remember as being necessary, checks mostly just give you a nice item.

I also would highly recommend doing companion quests when they become available, especially for "Greenblood" Kurt "Things are about to get dicey" because it keeps some story options open.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Moral_Hazard posted:

He also plays The Shadow in Helllblade, which is a stand out voice in a game with already amazing sound design.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Hackan Slash posted:

I actually enjoyed Greedfall more than Outer World's. The strength of the game is the characters/story, while the rest is acceptable. A big thing to remember is there's never a reason to explore a place where you don't have a quest marker.

For skills, remember you can get +1 of most skills from an armor attachment, and another +1 from a companion. There's not any I can remember as being necessary, checks mostly just give you a nice item.

I also would highly recommend doing companion quests when they become available, especially for "Greenblood" Kurt "Things are about to get dicey" because it keeps some story options open.

At least for the most part Outer Worlds had a coherent story that didn't jump around. Even if it was badly written.
I'd rather take badly written over contradictory honestly.

Although both games suffer from a bad final bit.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
The trailer for this game had me interested but it looks like it's problematic and buggy.

Does Spiders have a history of fixing their games or is it just what it's going to be at this point?

Guess I'll hold off until a year or so when it's on sale.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

The trailer for this game had me interested but it looks like it's problematic and buggy.

Does Spiders have a history of fixing their games or is it just what it's going to be at this point?

Guess I'll hold off until a year or so when it's on sale.

There's still game breaking bugs from release and they're a small studio.
Wouldn't hold my breath.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I don't think I've come across a story in an RPG that was so boring it made me angry before. I'm up to the part where you kill the boob demon in the swamp and I just don't care what happens next. I assume that whatever it is it will be tedious to get to, unsatisfying, uninteresting, and full of plot holes.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So I bought this game during the GoG sale and I have to say that I enjoy it but as usual I tend to restart a lot but it seems that I´m going for some kind of one-handed sword/gun build with some splashes into magic for stasis. Are there any kind of God skills or attributes I should focus on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Sylphosaurus posted:

So I bought this game during the GoG sale and I have to say that I enjoy it but as usual I tend to restart a lot but it seems that I´m going for some kind of one-handed sword/gun build with some splashes into magic for stasis. Are there any kind of God skills or attributes I should focus on?

I recommend only using stasis and not investing into magic other than that. You'll spread your points too thin otherwise and you'll need max attributes to use the best weapons and guns. For attributes then you just need a few points in endurance (theres good armor even with middle endurance) and then the rest into accuracy and agility to use the best one-handed swords and guns.

For talents you can go the opposite route and get points in all the talents, since you can boost them just by having a piece of equipment with a bonus to it. Keep one piece with a bonus to each talent and put it on when you need to. This means that a fantastic early one is crafting since it lets you mod pieces of gear with +1 to skills. Then a companion can give you another +1 to a talent after you've done their quest-chain so you can technically get away with only having 1 point in each talent.

If you're only going into magic for stasis then I recommend going up bombs to complement your gun and sword skills. Poison can really save your rear end against high armor opponents. Get the skill that lets you set traps while dodging and work towards Bomb. Its a monster skill, especially when you get the toxic bomb upgrade. Other then that the gun and sword skills are pretty self-explanatory. Roll is a much better dodge than the regular dodge.