Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I'm liking this game so far. The story does has some weird pacing issues where it was written with a certain quest order in mind, but the game doesn't care in which order you do things and it can get a bit weird and confusing. But it's not bad and so far it has kept my attention.
I think it helps that I haven't poopsocked it. My play sessions aren't long enough for me to get really annoyed with the lack of polish and various smaller issues.

The one mayor complaint I do have is that the companions are pretty much useless in combat. In any serious fight they go down within seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Lars Blitzer posted:

Have you been upgrading their equipment alongside your own? That was an issue with me for the first few levels before I twigged onto that.
Yeah, I've been throwing them some of my left overs. But it doesn't really do much. Damage mitigation revolves primarily around dodging and parrying and the AI doesn't do that effectively.
Mind you, I'm not going to judge Greedfall too harshly with this. Creating an effective companion AI is pretty complex and difficult. Plenty of other games with 10 times the budget this game had can't get that work right either. But every time I see Aphra run into an enemy's face instead sitting back and shoot I do sigh a little.

On the subject of equipment: The itemization is another thing that's slightly bugging me. Finding decent items as loot or treasure seems very rare. I'm level 17 and am still using the Rapier I found when I first entered New Selene. I've seen plenty of stuff with better stats in stores, but gold is too scarce to spend to freely so :shrug:
I guess I've gotten used to the Bioware/Bethesda approach to items where you're buried in the stuff. It feels a bit weird to go so long without every slot on the paper doll having been upgraded at least 3 times.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Merrill Grinch posted:

These two complaints together suggest you haven't been putting points into the god-tier attribute, Charisma.
I haven't put any points in Charisma, correct. Might be worth starting over then since I'm not that far into it yet.