Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Taear posted:

Sucks to be you. I bought it from a site that only refunds in store credit (not a dodgy one) so I couldn't refund it either.

When I read the Greedfall forum the amount of people saying that the sidequests are great is just absolutely blowing my mind. They require so much walking, so much busywork. And all the choices are fake too, it gives you the idea that it'll make a difference but really there's one path and if you deviate it forces you back on it anyway. I guess not everyone cares about internal consistency but for me I'd rather do all the MMOG quests in the world than do a single quest where it's contradicting previous info or my character is being randomly racist or whatever the gently caress Greedfall loves to do.
The positive reviews are honestly blowing my mind and it's the first time I've agreed with critics more than steam reviews.

the negativitiy here is what surprises me a bit, but maybe thats because of the pricing? I think it would've been suited better for 40 bucks max., rather 35 even.

Its pretty good in many areas for what I assume was their budget. I for one like most of the sidequests because I like most of the characters. They're very well voiced and the main protagonist is pretty likeable too. It's production value is clearly as expected, or what was once referred to as "AA", but still enjoyable in general. Some design choices are rather questionable but I for one also think that most high production value games are bad since they have no edge left.
I also dislike RPGs that have me read 4 books of on-screen story only because they have no budget to make a cutscene or an interactive story out of it but still see the need to be super detailed about everything. I don't really see games as a good medium to wall of texts so having a brief overview with a proper tone in the environment set is enough for me to make up the rest of it in my mind.

I think it's an overall good action RPG. I like the world, the clues they've taken from other games such as The Witcher for the tone and setting and the general world construction. It's definitively much more likeable and outright better in most areas as Risen 2 or 3 for example when I have to think of somewhat similar games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Taear posted:

I dunno, I'd never call it an AA game either. It's just unbelievably badly put together.
I think maybe it depends how you play. What I tended to do was get quests and then head towards them, clearing out the bits before it. But that's a REALLY poo poo way to do it in this and it sours me on it - you clear areas out and nothing happens, you can only do areas if you've got the quests for them.

And because the enemies respawn it makes it feel like even more of a waste of time.

Then you're dragging yourself through area after area AGAIN because you weren't allowed to do it the first time.

Also not being able to read dialogue then skip it when it's a "sequence" really REALLY annoys me, I don't want to hear it voiced I want to read it and carry on please. So I stop paying attention, because I've read what they're saying and it's going to take longer to finish saying it.

I've not played Risen but I still feel Gothic 2/3 worked far better as games than Greedfall does. Hell in this two handed weapons are an upgrade from one handers and there's no dual wielding or shields. It feels obsessed with taking away any choice or anything exciting from every goddamn step of it.

Yeah pacing could be better, and also as many games I think it's a bit too large for what it is in it's core but I make use of quick travel for that. And enemies at least give decent XP for level up so they're not a total waste in the end. Skipping cinematics per line is super uncommon even for large productions, so I don't consider that a particular bad missing feature. It has a lot of convenient QoL things that are not the standard though, even common line skipping is still missing in many games. Like also if you're running towards doors you don't have to press the open button. Or even with the environment being very restrictive in where you can go and the lack of jumping, you usually still can drop down conveniently and don't have to circle all the way back to the ladder.

Whats the level cap in this anyways? 30?