Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
im a little sad that if im wearing a disguise and everyone is Friendly towards me theres no stealth kill prompt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
It seems like the entire basis of the game is that through nepotism you were appointed diplomat on behalf of a wealthy merchant guild to maintain trade relations between warring nations on a remote island where the native population is being displaced or converted, so I think you’d have to find some way to unite everyone even if you’re just bluntly lying to them. Maybe the faction system is some “hey you’re loving this up” warning system.

But i dont really know since i havent even told my cousin about the Terrible Secret History of the island yet

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
In some ways this game reminds me of playing an MMO on a private emulated server. It has the assets/gear/quests, it has mobs standing around in small groups (sometimes all facing the same direction for no reason) without idle animations or patrol routes, and it has all the quest-related items/mobs not spawning until you take the quest so locations are inexplicably empty when you first arrive.

I do appreciate that so far the quests generally have some story behind them with multiple solutions rather than "collect 9 bear pelts for me" (with the exception of the land dispute sidequest between natives and colonists that forces you to run around town multiple times for legal guidance).

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
I haven't finished this yet so it may get worse, but as janky as this game is I'd still consider it a tier above a lot of the kickstarter stuff I've played that had similar hub-and-spoke action rpg ambitions (Insomnia - The Ark, We Happy Few, Ghost of a Tale); those generally had worse issues with pacing and/or introducing concepts and game mechanics that never get utilized.

So as far as flaws go, stuff like "the game world has a lot of areas that are useless to visit unless there's an active quest" doesn't really compare to "XP scaling is done in a way that reaching level 15 is nearly impossible and you'll only have enough points for 10% of the game's skills" or "Nearly a third of the craftable items require materials that you'll never find enough of during your playthrough". Though to be fair two of those games are at the $25-30 price point currently.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
The only time I've ever used lock-on in combat is if the fight is just one large monster, like the final arena fight or the squid-face guys. Speaking of the arena I finished it at lvl 16-17; it was like one of those boss fights that I always hated in Dragon's Dogma where teammates die almost instantly and you spend like 8 minutes just dodging around and chipping away at health and armor and burning through potions so that it won't be a 15-minute fight.

Unrelated but the voice actor for Petrus has a voice like a cheshire cat, goddamn its soothing and unnerving at the same time