Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Avalerion posted:

Liking this so far!

One thing I'm not sure about is the skill tree... are the skills with two paths leading to them combo skills, like do I need to go through both the trap tree and the magic ring tree for shadow burst?

I suck at dodge/parry based combat. :( Should see if you can make a purely ranged build of some kind.

You don't, no. As long as you've got one path to it, you can open it.
It costs 2 skill points though. You also can't follow the path from those joint skills, the arrow only goes one way. So I can get Magic Healing via the blunt tree but can't go from Magic Healing into the magic tree itself.

Perestroika posted:

Hopped into this on a whim, in part because there are not nearly enough games set in a pseudo early modern/renaissance setting. Love myself some tricornes and rapiers. I've only played a couple of hours, but it does seem pretty good so far. I especially like how firearms tend to just utterly blast people off their feet.

It's funny to me how often I get "Fallen down!" on an enemy but they're absolutely definitely not fallen down at all. Although when it does work they never get back up with my mace, which is very nice.

VolticSurge posted:

Anyway I'm not every good at this sales pitch thing so long story short, if you like Eurojank RPGs like Witcher 2, I would suggest giving this a look.

Man - that's a proper false equivalence. Witcher 2 is a good game with very little jank. This game can't even spell "promise" right in the subtitles. Or smuggler! And the controls are mislabeled in the menus - it says dodge when it means parry and loads of other bits like that.
This can affect gameplay when you get a quest following some "wildemen" and it turns out to just be a single thing, that confused me a bit.

Greedfall also has some really questionable stuff. Calling natives that kill the colonists rebels is uncomfortable to me.
In a quest involving said "rebels" I had two options. Either attack them or "leave". But everywhere else leave just ends the conversation rather than actually saying much. Yet here it gave a big speech and she walked off without fighting them. It's another small thing but it's confusing and a bit annoying.

And talking natives - they have bizzare accents. At times it's a bit Tralee/south west ireland style. But then with random...changes in. It's like every native actor was told to do an irish voice and "mix it up". It's really offputting and I hate listening to them speak. That's a me thing rather than a game thing but ugh, stop it guys.

Taear fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Sep 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Yeah, I don't understand that complaint. Of course the rear end in a top hat colonists are going to call the natives rebels. I don't remember any conversation in which the main character calls them that anyways.

She calls them that the whole quest long. I'm saying they're not rebels because the colonists aren't the government. The game doesn't call them rebels elsewhere - just in this particular quest in that area.
It's really weird and there's a lot of stuff like that.

In a similar quest later I tried to get two native groups to get together and one killed the other. And my answer was oh okay fine, I HAD to support the colonists and couldn't do anything about it.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Uhhh, this sounds pretty questionable in itself? Are you suggesting natives who kill colonists aren't engaged in legitimate resistance?

No I'm suggesting the exact opposite? They're not rebels, they're an uprising against the colonial system itself - they're not rising up against a legitimate government here.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

Sometimes my companion gets a bunch of swirling glowing particles around him, and i don't know what it meas. I suspect it's something combat related, but I don't think the tutorials mentioned it. Any ideas?

Is it kurt? I think he's drinking a Balance Potion, it's his "special action" in combat.

Talking of weird parts - there's a place in Glendgnamvar called "Bedri" and the description says this:
"The Doneigada of the Sisaig cnameis clan had custody of it, but your mother was abducted before she could share her knowledge"

Is this....telling me something I shouldn't know or what the hell?

I feel the game has a few times said that I'm a native and that's why I have this mark on my face but nobody else mentions it and it's pretty loving weird. I feel like I missed a whole 'bit' explaining the mark.

Taear fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 11, 2019

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

There've been plenty of rebellions where native pops fought against colonizers / imperial power... Why must a rebellion be against a "legitimate" government.

A rebellion is an uprising against your leader - at least that's how I've always considered it.
Why is my character considering these natives legitimately part of the Bridge Alliance? I don't even know where they're based!

Also does anyone else find fighting large groups really annoying? If I lock onto an enemy I can't move properly so dodging becomes really hard but she's just constantly loving off to attack a totally different enemy all the time from the one I'm currently engaged with. It's especially bad in the arena and with certain enemies, I have no idea why.

Taear fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 11, 2019

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I'd say that's more mutiny or coup. Slave rebellions could hardly be considered rebellions against a legitimate leader.

No but it's rebellions against their "owner" - the person the law considers is their ruler.
Does the law (and my character, more importantly) consider these natives the property of the bridge alliance? If it does why doesn't it consider the same for the villages around? What makes these guys different?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Slave and indigenous uprisings were commonplace all throughout the colonial era. Participants in these revolts were called rebels back then just as they are today. This is one of the weirdest derails I've seen in awhile.

They're at war (the natives and the bridge alliance). The game says they're at war.
How are they rebels? Why is my character calling them that?

It's just a weird thing, that's all.

Has anyone got to the Old Mine yet? I found a cog in there that I made into a "New Cog" but I don't know what to do with it. There's a spot it feels like it'd fit but I can't interact with it.
There's so many bits in this game where it's hard to tell if you're just loving up or you're not meant to do it yet. Bits of map you can't reach and etc

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Avalerion posted:

I assumed that's from the sickness everyone's going on about.

Yea - I did too but it's not. It's a native thing apparently.

I think they do a bad job of explaining the face mark and also the disease. It's weird since that seems to be the main story!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Magic is fine as a backup (I play kinda a paladin who uses a two hander and heals) but you run out of mana fast and it takes a while to regenerate.
I'd definitely not say it was something you could rely on exclusively without it being annoying.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

GrossMurpel posted:

That's fine, I've played "melee dude who uses buffs and traps and stuff" in every one of their games out of necessity.
I thought magic penetrating armor would be a big deal that makes it very usable, guess not?

A two handed weapon deals with armour far better.

I said come in! posted:

I am just kinda playing this game, but I don't feel much towards it. The world is cool looking, but that is about it? Greedfall is just very average and not noteworthy. The interior level design, and puzzles are terrible.

Yea god I get lost in small areas so loving often because of how they're designed, I really wish there was a mini map

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Caidin posted:

That bit where your going to introduce yourself to the mother cardinal in Saint Matus is pretty :catstare:

If you have the native lady with you the inquisitor challenges you and you can tell him to gently caress off, then you have a fight
It was weird but interesting

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Avalerion posted:

I ended up fighting in an arena and just get murdered instantly even on easy, don't know if I'm underleveled/under geared or what.

Which bit are you on of the arena and how many people do you have with you? It's easier with the native who can heal

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I said come in! posted:

There is a main story quest that has you talking with three NPCs who want you to do side quests for them first.... and it's so boring. :negative: I am trying hard to just power through but I really hate this.

Yea the main story doesn't grab me at all, the game doesn't contextualise it enough I think

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Please for the love of god, stop putting encumbrance limits in games. There has never been an interesting decision caused by encumbrance. Inventory management is not fun.

In a related point it's weird how sometimes you'll auto loot a corpse and other times it pops up and makes you do it manually.
I genuinely can't work out how it decides which to do, it's not related to number or anything and I've even had it autoloot a weapon so it doesn't SEEM contents related.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mehrunes posted:

I've kind of put off the the main quest because I can after meeting the main guys. I gone through Kurt's quest and I was suprised at how good it was, I think they've exceeded Bioware by a fair margin so far. If anyone's looking for Aurora engine Bioware like KoTOR or Jade Empire these guys have finally surpassed them.

Really?? I've done that quest and it's pretty terrible. Maybe it's more obvious when you're using Charisma and you just say "Actually, do this thing" and they totally change their minds but that quest had loads of weird jank in it.
The doctor tells you that the guy has drowned. You persuade your way into the room and it's clear he's been beaten up. The doctor goes "Oh, yea actually I was lying the whole time"

As well as loads of barely working dialogue options and the completely lifeless tavern you have to go to during the quest.

I kinda get the same in Petrus's quest where the quest gives me a ! notification on a secret key on a random table but doesn't give me a clue where to get Servant uniforms from. I guess the merchant, but it's still weird what it decides to just randomly reveal. It would have been fine if Petrus told me it was there but he absolutely didn't.
However when I was downstairs sneaking around we all spoke really loving loudly and it totally ruined my immersion, but whatever.

Then I go and speak to a Pimp because I have to speak to some sex workers and the game just kinda....acted like I was half way through a conversation with this guy even though I wasn't.

During this same quest I spoke to the innkeeper and my character mentioned someone in a green coat - but I hadn't learned about her yet and that dialogue option came later with a different person. A different person in the same building, downstairs - so really you'd expect not to have learned that info when you're speaking to the innkeeper.

Avalerion posted:

Yea I'm liking the writing, characters & setting a lot. It's really just the combat I can't get over, it's almost as bad as witcher 2 expect there you could cheese it more easily I feel.

Maybe I should try heavy armor once I get a respec crystal.

My main issue with the combat is it seems to be that if you dodge you are immune for a few seconds, and that's all that matters. I get hit so often because I've got out of the way but I mistimed it, so I got hit somehow anyway. It's really strange and I'm finally used to it now but I'd rather be able to actually dodge the animation because that feels more "natural"

I'm also a bit miffed that I'm still using a two hander I bought at level 5 and I'm level 17. I've even found a purple two handed mace and the one I have is a thousand times better. Makes looting stuff really boring.

Taear fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Sep 12, 2019

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mehrunes posted:

I have no idea what you're trying to say. The doctor admits he lied on about the autopsy because it was made clear he would suffer the same fate as the victim if he didn't.

I'm saying that why let me examine the body and then just sit there totally fine when it's absolutely clear he wasn't drowned? Just say it at that point. It felt unnatural and the emotions the characters displayed during the scene didn't fit with what'd happened either. The charisma check would have been better to get him to tell the truth rather than to get him to let me into the room. gently caress, even hide the body because that'd make more sense than just having it there with you outside lying all the while about it.
Then you tell the doctor you won't tell anyone his role and your character IMMEDIATELY tells the Quartermaster exactly what happened. So much for telling the truth!

Like every dialogue in the game it always feels like there's a bit missing that'd smooth it out.

Or hell - the lieutenant guy tells me to come back and speak to him at night because there will be fewer people around - but everyone's still there at night, the guy's just sat down now instead.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mehrunes posted:

When I confronted the doctor he was inconsolate and the lieutenant was completely alone.

I've no idea how it could be so different for you.

I think a big part of what brings the bioware companions alive is companion banter, which there just isn't any of here. And introductions to them as well - I mentioned it before but Siora was just in my party with not enough around it to explain it. And then I can question her RIGHT AWAY "why haven't you said anything about your father?". Give her a chance, she's just got here!

It doesn't help that the companions all say the same thing over and over. "Things are about to get dicey" can absolutely gently caress off.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Avalerion posted:

Because she introduces herself as whatever whatever daughter of someone important. “What about your father” isn’t so weird in context.

It is when you hear how it's asked - "I've never heard you talk about your father, who was he?"
Well of course you haven't, she joined 3 minutes ago

I think it'd fit better in those "travel break" bits which feel a bit pointless, I guess they're a loading screen? They'd be a great spot to let you properly chat to your companions, DA:O style

Taear fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Sep 12, 2019

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mehrunes posted:

Well for the second part is that not odd. They may have set that dialogue to look for night while the men in the room only start leaving at night. That's pretty classic jank.

And in the second half of the quest, I talked to a recruit and they said "he's given more information than the others!"
Well yea in that I've not actually SPOKEN to the others yet.

And I could suddenly tell the lieutenant that I wanted her to work with me in the Palace as a Charisma thing, I still don't know why my character said that or what use it was.

It does make me laugh that I'm questioning all these people while I'm in full native getup though, nobody seems to mind.

Taear fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Sep 12, 2019

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

GrossMurpel posted:

Jesus. Reminder to myself never to listen to SA.

Yea - both greedfall and elex are just as bad as each other.

I just did a quest where at the end "Recruit Wilhelm" was left in charge of the camp
And then he turned to himself and said "I'm glad to be under your command Wilhelm"

No buddy, that's you, you're Wilhelm!

During the quest I got some keys to the basement and the story of the quest was wondering what was happening in that basement - well I know what's happening because the keys were called "keys to the torture chamber".

In regards to Kurt's quest:
The second part just seems to...end? I thought I would need to confront the master of the Coin Guard but there's no step for it. Does it come later or what?

Also I'm 13 hours in and I still don't know what this stuff on my face is. Or what the thing my mother gave me was. Why does nobody mention it to me?!

Taear fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Sep 12, 2019

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

This review on steam is absolutely spot on.
I hadn't even noticed the portraits thing until just recently but when you see it you can't unsee it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

GrossMurpel posted:

Why would you expect an open world from a game where they said in interviews that it's linear like all their previous games?

It's advertised as that?
Like I don't want a massive open plain but man it's like playing guild wars 1 sometimes. I can't even walk over a tiny rock

Constantly checking the map to see where you're allowed to walk because there's no consistency to it at all

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Avalerion posted:

On that note this desperately needs a minimap, especially in buildings.

Yea, it's absolutely criminal that it hasn't got one. The letters in the compass get obscured by quests you're not doing all the goddamn time too

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

It got compared to Inquisition and Witcher 3 a lot. I expected some more freedom of movement.

Like I say you have to constantly look at the map to work out how you can get to places, it never feels logical

For example you'll see a path winding up a very slight hill. You HAVE to go to the start of the path to walk up, it won't allow you to just walk over the grassy rock bit in between.
She gets stuck on tiny rocks or branches or trees loads and it's hugely immersion breaking for me. There's so few actually open spaces

Taear fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 12, 2019

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

CreedThoughts posted:

Lol, did you like Inquisition's giant maps of nothingness?

No, but they were better than this. At least they had variety and stuff to do
Have you explored greedfall? So many pointless places

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

No they didn't and they didn't . I'll take small semi-linear maps over the destitute wasteland of DAI any day of the week.

Every location there has a quest connected to it. Even if it's not part of the overall game quest.
Yea emerald graves is pointless and has busywork but there's still more to it than any of the locations in this.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

For a sufficiently liberal definition of the word quest, yes. But I don't really count "kill ten groups of wandering antelopes and bring back their eyeballs" as worthwhile content.

There's barely anything like that because most areas don't really have any people in, only the crossroads in the hinterlands is like that.

Here's an example - in the Hissing Wastes every area you find has a little bit of a story about above ground dwarfs. You don't learn loads, but it's interesting. Everywhere you go in the area has something like that. It's not mega deep or exciting but it's there.

Whereas in greedfall I went to the tomb of a king after killing a really strong monster and there was just absolutely nothing. I learned nothing about who this was and why, just a bit of stuff from the colonist professor who wrote about the monster.

Again I'm not saying DAI areas were good, but this game reminds me a bit of baldurs gate 1 - a big pile of areas with just one or two things to do there even when it's huge.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

GrossMurpel posted:

lmao
A tiny bit of story does not excuse "gameplay" consisting of collectible hunting and fetch quests. Open worlds are almost all just filled with copypasted content these days.
My favorite example is Witcher 3 which had great effort put into the writing and all its quests to make them have actual stakes to them instead of just being fetch quests....and then also included a needlessly giant open world filled with monster nests and bandit camps.

A tiny bit of story is better than literally nothing - and that's what Greedfall has. In fact exploring is often bad because another quest could lead to an area and until you get that quest you can't interact with anything whatsoever. The scholar's camp for example which I found ages ago but couldn't do anything with until I'd got the right quest elsewhere.

I'd rather have a line of something written in my codex than going into places that feel like they should be important then nothing happening at all. Greedfall is full of enormous areas that are difficult to navigate for no good reason and are carbon copies of each other. DAI at least made their areas different even if they were pointless a lot of the time.

Oh and an open world with some actual enemy variety instead of armoured dogs, bearwolves and bats everywhere. God drat am I tired of bearwolves, especially since they respawn.

I've got to do a quest that requires crafting. I can't craft, but Siora said the "Shadow faced warrior can help". Who is that? Is it Vasco? God drat when the game doesn't explicitly tell you what to do it sure leaves things vague as hell. Swapping out characters is boring because I have to walk a really long roundabout way to my camp since I can't walk down a vague incline

Taear fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 12, 2019

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Calico Heart posted:

Hey y'all, just started playing this yesterday and despite some bad buzz in this here thread I'm ganna keep with it. I find the world and system intriguing and am liking it so far.

Wondering though; it seems like this game isn't rife with different "builds" and weird combinations. How do you guys find magic, who have used it? They seem to have so many cool abilities that I kinda regreat playing a weeny trap-making rogue.

ALSO for those who want an RPG where you can tell the colonisers to eat poo poo; Pillars of Eternity 2 is imo one of the best CRPG's ever made and is all about companies warring over a string of islands wherein you can side with anyone or no one. Awesome game and universe..

I'm sure everyone in the thread has already played PoE2 tbh!

The magic is decent but your mana runs out VERY fast and it's not really easy to make it feel like you're not constantly mana starved. Storm is really strong though, the top ability in the magic tree.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Yea obsidian are generally really good even if the games are a bit buggy. There's a lot that good writing makes you gloss over and Spiders doesn't even have that.
At least Outer Worlds is soon.

I'd recommend for anyone playing Greedfall not to bother exploring areas until quests take you there. So often there's really no point, I genuinely can't think of even one quest I've picked up in the wilderness and I've explored six areas now.

Here's a good example - there's an Old Mine in the area to the right of your capital, a place you're likely to visit really early. In there is a rusted cog, a document that says you need to fix a cog and a recipe for a new cog.
You can make that cog for sure but you can't do anything with it until you get to that point in the main quest.
It's just bizzare. Close it off for story reasons until later or something, jeez.

Also you can have the same conversation with the miner in there a bunch of times where he's like "Who are you, we don't get many people down here". Just change that to "hello again", jeez.

Taear fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Sep 13, 2019

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Finished the arena quest and was rewarded with a gold two handed sword. I can't use it but I think "Oh well, Kurt can - so it's not totally useless".
Nope, doesn't even appear in his inventory.

No idea why, Siora has a unique weapon equipped right now. Fine.

Also the "travel pause" merchant sells (so far, for me) the best weapons I've seen. They get upgraded too, unlike other merchants.

Taear fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Sep 13, 2019

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

LentThem posted:

In some ways this game reminds me of playing an MMO on a private emulated server. It has the assets/gear/quests, it has mobs standing around in small groups (sometimes all facing the same direction for no reason) without idle animations or patrol routes, and it has all the quest-related items/mobs not spawning until you take the quest so locations are inexplicably empty when you first arrive.

Man yea this is so absolutely right. It definitely has that feel.

At the moment I'm doing a quest where I have to find a great healer - but I've already done another quest where I had to do that. The best healer, and she couldn't do anything. Why am I doing it again for a different great healer and if this one is so great why didn't they mention them before?! God drat the narrative in this is so bad.

Spoiler here related to a quest for the Nauts and Theleme, you'll know it if you've done it.
So the codex entry that talks about "my mother" was right, I am a native and now it suddenly makes sense. Funny that it spoils it ages ago. The thing is the birthmark you have could only be that you're a native and I can't believe she doesn't at least suspect. And that nobody notices it or talks about it.
The mark on your face feels like it should be so major and get talked about all the goddamn time but NOBODY SAYS A THING and it really drives me mad, it's like it's cut content or something.

And now about step three of Kurt's quest.
I found about the coup ages ago, why am I only talking about it when it is actually happening? It feels so disconnected from how part 2 ended. It was a fun quest though, only spoiled by having my companions glued to my side in the cut scene at the end. It's another one of those bits where it COULD have been good and so many little janky bits ruin it. Sending messages to the other towns when the coup is happening literally now and it takes 24 hours to get from town to town? Seems a pointless endeavor, why didn't I tell them about it when I learned about it ages ago?

Taear fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 13, 2019

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I've finished the game. The jank pretty much stays all the way through and you really have to complete the side quests or you can't do a lot of the main quest.
Maybe you can ignore the "gathering the factions" stuff but it doesn't seem that way, at least.

Spoilers for the end.
I made Dedre the high king and she got rid of the colonists, but then the slides at the end told me that I lived with Siora and Kurt (leader of the coin guard) and Petrus (Cardinal in the city of the Theleme) still came to visit. How can they when they got driven off?
And I didn't seem to get a slide for my character, which is...a shame I guess.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

uncalled for! posted:

A lot of it's the standard orchestral RPG fare, but one of the combat songs has some weird instrument making a warbling ooooOOoOOOOOOO sound when you finish a fight, which is cool

I think it's this one (it's missing the warbling though) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8r3DsbOAtU&t=955s

Yea I will say the music is quite good. Nice themes over the top of many locations. Nothing absolutely stand out, but decent.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ghostinmyshell posted:

This is my first game into this weird genre and it probably would have been a better purchase at $20. The storyline/quests are actually interesting and the graphics aren't that bad on the xbonex.

The last....maybe 10 hours feels like doing the ashlander quests in Morrowind. Honestly, it's just irritating as gently caress.

vandalism posted:

I want to refund this game but I have refunded like 5 or more games and dont wanna get in trouble. I dont enjoy this game at all after like 76 minutes. Combat sucks. Story sucks. World is pretty but everything in it is flat, bland, and boring.

It's automatic, nobody is checking. Do whatever you like!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

vandalism posted:

Turns out I played 4 hours. Whoops.

Sucks to be you. I bought it from a site that only refunds in store credit (not a dodgy one) so I couldn't refund it either.

When I read the Greedfall forum the amount of people saying that the sidequests are great is just absolutely blowing my mind. They require so much walking, so much busywork. And all the choices are fake too, it gives you the idea that it'll make a difference but really there's one path and if you deviate it forces you back on it anyway. I guess not everyone cares about internal consistency but for me I'd rather do all the MMOG quests in the world than do a single quest where it's contradicting previous info or my character is being randomly racist or whatever the gently caress Greedfall loves to do.
The positive reviews are honestly blowing my mind and it's the first time I've agreed with critics more than steam reviews.

Taear fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Sep 16, 2019

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

haldolium posted:

the negativitiy here is what surprises me a bit, but maybe thats because of the pricing? I think it would've been suited better for 40 bucks max., rather 35 even.

Its pretty good in many areas for what I assume was their budget. I for one like most of the sidequests because I like most of the characters. They're very well voiced and the main protagonist is pretty likeable too. It's production value is clearly as expected, or what was once referred to as "AA", but still enjoyable in general. Some design choices are rather questionable but I for one also think that most high production value games are bad since they have no edge left.
I also dislike RPGs that have me read 4 books of on-screen story only because they have no budget to make a cutscene or an interactive story out of it but still see the need to be super detailed about everything. I don't really see games as a good medium to wall of texts so having a brief overview with a proper tone in the environment set is enough for me to make up the rest of it in my mind.

I think it's an overall good action RPG. I like the world, the clues they've taken from other games such as The Witcher for the tone and setting and the general world construction. It's definitively much more likeable and outright better in most areas as Risen 2 or 3 for example when I have to think of somewhat similar games.

I dunno, I'd never call it an AA game either. It's just unbelievably badly put together.
I think maybe it depends how you play. What I tended to do was get quests and then head towards them, clearing out the bits before it. But that's a REALLY poo poo way to do it in this and it sours me on it - you clear areas out and nothing happens, you can only do areas if you've got the quests for them.

And because the enemies respawn it makes it feel like even more of a waste of time.

Then you're dragging yourself through area after area AGAIN because you weren't allowed to do it the first time.

Also not being able to read dialogue then skip it when it's a "sequence" really REALLY annoys me, I don't want to hear it voiced I want to read it and carry on please. So I stop paying attention, because I've read what they're saying and it's going to take longer to finish saying it.

I've not played Risen but I still feel Gothic 2/3 worked far better as games than Greedfall does. Hell in this two handed weapons are an upgrade from one handers and there's no dual wielding or shields. It feels obsessed with taking away any choice or anything exciting from every goddamn step of it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

haldolium posted:

Yeah pacing could be better, and also as many games I think it's a bit too large for what it is in it's core but I make use of quick travel for that. And enemies at least give decent XP for level up so they're not a total waste in the end. Skipping cinematics per line is super uncommon even for large productions, so I don't consider that a particular bad missing feature. It has a lot of convenient QoL things that are not the standard though, even common line skipping is still missing in many games. Like also if you're running towards doors you don't have to press the open button. Or even with the environment being very restrictive in where you can go and the lack of jumping, you usually still can drop down conveniently and don't have to circle all the way back to the ladder.

Whats the level cap in this anyways? 30?

It seems to be effectively 46 but I ended at 34.

And I've genuinely not played a game where I can't skip line by line, it is normally like that. From Fire Emblem to Dragon Age.

I think that the door thing is related to the NPCs not being loaded until you open the door, that's why it works so strangely. If you go to the Coin Tavern (the one that's identical in every city, you know the one) and open the door the people are all stood on the table for a second like they've loaded in.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

GrossMurpel posted:

I'm loving this game so far, really seems like the old Spiders games but better in every way.
Some recommended level indicator for the quests would help though.

You can't skip cutscenes in DA:O line by line.

DA:O is from 2009 though.

As far as it seems even if something is much higher level than me it was pretty easy, and I never met a boss who was higher level. I ended the game in my mid 30s but I levelled maybe 10 levels early on when I thought they wanted us to explore.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

GrossMurpel posted:

Oh yeah it's just cause you said Dragon Age has line by line skipping :shrug: I suppose it's not a fair comparison either way because Greedfall goes into "cutscene mode" far more often.
And I'm playing on extreme so everything has loads of HP already but it'd be nice to know when you can enter an arena fight without your companions dying within 2 seconds.

Arena wise it seems like about level 20 is the level you should be able to finish it. The reward is a two handed sword though, just to warn you.
And the final rounds of it (number 5) has a level of humans and then a boss which are way easier than the ones against those stupid shark beasts or the bats.

Sorry yea I meant DA:I, although DA:O doesn't really have as many voiced lines and it wasn't as much of a bother. Can't you reply to a person as they're speaking and cut them off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Hyzenth1ay posted:

this is actually my preferred combat. i'm playing a ranged / alchemy build, so i can lay traps and dance out of the way while the enemies blow themselves up on my explosive runes.

game is wonderful, seriously. yes, it's janky. the subtitles are misspelled and hilarious (the "fantom" regiment?!). often, i'll be talking to an NPC, and in the background, another NPC is walking into a wall. the faces are tragic.

but the writing is pretty good (so far), and i am loving the combat as an alchemist. the world is intricate and interesting.

Any game where I'm sent to find a great healer, find they can't do it and then another quest sends me to find ANOTHER great healer with no mention of the first quest can frankly gently caress off.

With combat when you're using a weapon she'll just go after any enemy that's close unless you lock on. Sometimes that doesn't matter - with the enemies that have lots of armour it's really frustrating.